William Forbes Skene, WS
|Birthplace:||Inverie, Kincardineshire, Scotland|
|Death:||Died in Edinburgh, Scotland|
|Occupation:||Historian and author|
|Managed by:||Nicholas A Nicolaides|
Historical records matching William Forbes Skene, WS
About William Forbes Skene, WS
Skene, William Forbes. 07/06/1809-29/08/1892. Ref: 1376. Male.
- Place of Birth: Inverie, Kincardineshire.
- Place of Death: Edinburgh.
- Profession: Writer to the Signet, Historian, Celtic Scholar.
- Appointments Held: WS 1831; Depute Clerk 1853-67 Court of Session; Director, Commercial Bank of Scotland; Historiographer Royal For Scotland 1881-1892.
- Schools and Tutors: The High School, Edinburgh.
- Training: Apprentice to Francis Wilson, Sir Henry Jardine.
- Undergraduate Studies: St Andrews University, Edinburgh University.
- Postgraduate Studies: LL.D(Edinburgh 1865), DCL(Oxon 1879).
- Publications: "The Highlanders of Scotland, their Origin, History, and Antiquities" 1837, "Celtic Scotland" 1876-80, etc.
- Marital Status: Unmarried.
- Mother: Jane Forbes.
- Father: James Skene of Rubislaw FRSE 1775-1864.
- References: DNB 52, 1897, 338-340; Proc Roy Soc Edinb, 20, 1892-5, viii-xx; Register of The Society of Writers to Her Majesty's Signet 1983, 291.
- Memberships: FSAScot(1831), Highland Society(1831).
- Date of Election: 03/01/1859.
- Proposers: Cosmo Innes (Billet 6/12/1858, 20/12/1858).
- Service to the RSE: Councillor 1863-5, Vice-President 1869-71.
- Fellow Type: OF.
SOURCE: Waterston, Charles D; Macmillan Shearer, A (July 2006). Biographical index of former fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1783-2002: Biographical Index. II. Edinburgh: The Royal Society of Edinburgh. ISBN 978-0-902198-84-5. page 849
There's a good biographical sketch of Willam Forbes Skene by W. D. H. Steadall (2001). A PDF of the whole article is attached to this Geni entry, under "sources."
- The Society of Writers to Her Majesty's Signet; 1890; page 186