|Birthplace:||Eastham, Cape Cod, Plymouth Colony|
|Death:||Died in Eastham, Barnstable County, Province of Massachusetts|
Son of Maj. John Freeman, Sr. and Mercy Freeman
|Managed by:||Christian Aaron PERKS|
Matching family tree profiles for William Freeman, of Eastham
About William Freeman, of Eastham
- Freeman genealogy in three parts (1875)
- Pg. 23
- 1. Issue of Mr. Edmond Freeman and Elizabeth
- *2, I. Alice, born in England ; married Dea. William Paddy, Nov. 24, 1639.
- *3. II. Edmund, b. in Eng. ; m. Rebecca Prence, April 22, 1646 ; and 2d, Margaret Perry, July 18, 1651.
- *4. III. Elizabeth, b. in Eng., prob. 1625 ; m. John Ellis.
- *5. IV. John, b. in Eng., prob. 1627; m. Mercy Prence, Feb. 13, 1649-50.
- *6. V. Mary, who m. Edward Perry about 1653.
- The question who was the wife of Edmond Freeman, sen., has led to a variety of conjecture. It has sometimes been supposed she may have been a Bennet ; but for no other reason than that her daughter Elizabeth Ellis named her first born Bennet, and her son John named one of his children Bennett, — occurrences that naturally suggest a possible reason for the introduction of a surname for a Christian name. The custom, a genealogist well understands, was not infrequent in those days ; the mother's maiden name being selected for at least one of the sons, or perhaps grandsons. It has been conjectured also that her name was Beauchampe ; the reason for which supposition is founded alone on correspondence that does not necessarily imply it.1 Mrs. Freeman may have been
- a sister of Beauchamp ; or B. may have married Mr. Freeman's sister ; or Mrs. F. and Mrs. B. may have been sisters, their maiden name still imdivulged.
- Pg. 27
- 5. Issue of John Freeman, who m. Mercy Prence.
- 24. I. John, Feb. 2, 1650; d. inft.
- *25. II. John, Dec. 1651, in Eastham; m. Sarah Merick, dr. of Wm., Dec. 18, 1672, and 2d, "Mrs. Mercy Watson, wid. of Elkanah of Plym.," 1701.
- *26. III. Thomas, Sept. 1653; va. Rebecca Sparrow, dr. of Jona., Esq., Dec. 31, 1673.
- *27. IV. Patience; m. Lt. Samuel Paine, Jan. 31, 1682-83.
- *28. V. Hannah; m. John Mayo, April 14, 1681.
- *29. VI. Edmund, June, 1657; m. prob. Ruth Merrick, dr. of Wm. ; and 2d, Sarah Mayo, dr. of Samuel.
- *30. VII. Mercy, July, 1659; m. Samuel Knowles, Dec. 1679.
- *31. VIII. William, b. abt. 1660; m. Lydia Sparrow, dr. of Jno., abt. 1684-5.
- 32. IX. Prince, Feb. 3, 1665-6; d. young.
- *33. X. Nathaniel, March 20, 1669, "youngest son;" m. Mary, abt. 1690.
- *34. XI. Bennet, March 7, 1670-1 ; m. Dea. John Paine of E., March 14, 1689.
- Major Freeman's wife Mercy d. Sept. 28, 1711, ae. 80. He d. Oct. 28, 1719, ae. 92. In the graveyard in E. is a head- stone saying, "Here lies the body of Maj. John Freeman who d. Oct. 28, 1719, in the 98th yr. of his age." By the side of this is another, saying, "Here lies buried the body of Mercy Freeman, wife to Maj. John Freeman, who d. Sept. 28, 1711, ae. 80." The age on the first tablet is, we are confident, a mistake, — perhaps the error of the stone-cutter, but in any event an error in computation.
- .... etc.
- 31. Issue of WILLIAM FREEMAN, who m. LYDIA SPARROW.
- *133. I. LYDIA; m. Richard Godfrey of Chatham, Feb. 1701.
- *134. II. WILLIAM, Feb. 24, 1686, "eldest son;" m. Mercy Pepper of Eastham, Oct. 16, 1711.
- Mr. WILLIAM FREEMAN, son of Major John, d. 1687, just at the opening of life. Not mentioned in his father's will, this circumstance, together with defects in the town records, has led some engaged in genealogical research to overlook a portion of Major John's family, and even assign them to another origin. A careful observer will, however, see that Major John's last testament is not without reference, indistinct though it be, to the above son. The mention of "grandchildren William and Lydia Godfrey," suffices. Probate records show that "LYDIA, widow of William Freeman, was
- appointed admx. May 31, 1687;" and in the final settlement the widow, son William and dr. Lydia, are severally named. Moreover, Jonathan Sparrow, Esq., of E., also mentions in his will, "my two grandchildren, William Freeman and Lydia Godfrey."
- Tradition says that the above William Freeman conceived a settlement at Portanumqut, Pleasant Bay, territory belonging to "the purchasers or old-comers," and which, after 1694, was a part of the township of Harwich, and is now within the bounds of Orleans. He erected a house there; but, "his wife not liking the locality, the frame was taken down, and removed to another place."
- .... etc.
- SPARROW, Lydia
- b. 19 NOV 1660 Eastham, Barnstable, Mass.
- d. 16 MAR 1707/8 Eastham, Barnstable, Mass.
- Father: SPARROW, Jonathan
- Mother: BANGS, Rebecca
- Marriage: 1685 Eastham, Barnstable, Mass.
- Spouse: FREEMAN, William
- b. OCT 1662 Eastham, Barnstable, Mass.
- d. 31 MAY 1687 Eastham, Barnstable, Mass.
- Father: FREEMAN, John
- Mother: PRENCE, Mercy
- FREEMAN, Lydia
- FREEMAN, William
- Marriage: 31 MAY 1687 Eastham, Barnstable, Mass.
- Spouse: HIGGINS, Jonathan
- b. 30 AUG 1664 Eastham, Barnstable, Mass.
- d. 2 NOV 1754 Eastham, Barnstable, Mass.
- Father: HIGGINS, Jonathan
- Mother: ROGERS, Elizabeth
- HIGGINS, Thankful b. ABT 1692 Eastham, Barnstable, Mass. d. 13 JUL 1712
- HIGGINS, Samuel
- HIGGINS, Hannah
- HIGGINS, Jonathan
- HIGGINS, Experience
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_40.htm#55
- Lydia Sparrow Higgins
- Birth: 1662 Eastham, Barnstable County, Massachusetts, USA
- Death: 1709 Massachusetts, USA
- Birth date is approximate. She was born after Nov 19,1660, and she died after Mar 16,1708/9.
- Her first husband, married about 1683, was William Freeman. He died before May 31,1687 when Lydia took out letters of administration of his estate. William was the son of John Freeman and Mercy Prence Freeman.
- She married, second, Jonathan Higgins Jr.
- Children(by first marriage): William Freeman Jr and Lydia Freeman Godfrey.
- Children(by second marriage): Thankful Higgins, Samuel Higgins, Hannah Higgins Baker, Jonathan Higgins III, and Experience Higgins Crowell.
- Family links:
- Jonathan Sparrow (1633 - 1706)
- Rebecca Bangs Sparrow (1636 - ____)
- Jonathan Higgins (1664 - 1754)*
- Samuel Higgins (1694 - 1776)*
- Experience Higgins Crowell (1699 - 1777)*
- Rebecca Sparrow Freeman (1655 - 1740)*
- John Sparrow (1656 - 1734)*
- Lydia Sparrow Higgins (1662 - 1709)
- Elizabeth Sparrow Freeman (1664 - ____)*
- Jonathan Sparrow (1665 - 1739)*
- Richard Sparrow (1670 - 1728)**
- *Calculated relationship
- Burial: Unknown
- Find A Grave Memorial# 48838662
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=48838662
- Maj John Freeman
- Birth: 1622 Pulborough, Horsham District, West Sussex, England
- Death: Oct. 28, 1719 Eastham, Barnstable County, Massachusetts, USA
- His baptism was on Jan 28,1626/7. The baptism took place at St Mary the Virgin Parish Church in Billinghurst. Based on his stone, he was likely born about 1622.
- Son of Edmund Freeman and Bennett Hodsoll.
- He married Mercy Prence on Feb 13,1649/50 in Eastham,MA.
- Children: John Freeman, John Freeman Jr, Thomas Freeman, Patience Freeman Paine, Edmond Freeman, Mercy Freeman Knowles, William Freeman(first husband of Lydia Sparrow Freeman Higgins), Hannah Freeman Mayo, Prince Freeman, Nathaniel Freeman, and Bennett Freeman Paine.
- Family links:
- Edmond Freeman (1596 - 1682)
- Bennett Hodsoll Freeman (1600 - 1630)
- Mercy Prence Freeman (1631 - 1711)*
- John Freeman (1651 - 1721)*
- Patience Freeman Paine (1652 - 1745)*
- Thomas Freeman (1653 - 1716)*
- Hannah Freeman Wing (1657 - 1732)*
- Edmond Freeman (1657 - 1719)*
- Mercy Freeman Knowles (1659 - 1745)*
- Hannah Freeman Mayo (1664 - 1743)*
- Nathaniel Freeman (1669 - 1760)*
- Bennett Freeman Paine (1671 - 1716)*
- Alice Freeman Paddy (1619 - 1651)*
- Edmond Freeman (1620 - ____)*
- John Freeman (1622 - 1719)
- Elizabeth Freeman Ellis (1624 - 1692)*
- Mary Freeman Perry (1631 - 1688)**
- *Calculated relationship
- Burial: Cove Burying Ground, Eastham, Barnstable County, Massachusetts, USA
- Find A Grave Memorial# 7301580
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=7301580
- William Freeman
- Birth: Feb., 1687 Eastham, Barnstable County, Massachusetts, USA
- Death: Mar. 13, 1772 Harwich, Barnstable County, Massachusetts, USA
- William Freeman was born in Feb 1887 at Eastham, Barnstable Co, MA. He was the son of William Freeman and Lydia Sparrow.
- He died 13 Mar 1772 (not 1799) at Harwich, Barnstable Co, MA.
- Family links:
- Mercy Pepper Freeman (1690 - 1769)*
- 87 years
- Burial: Orleans Cemetery, East Orleans, Barnstable County, Massachusetts, USA
- Find A Grave Memorial# 39061898
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=39061898
'Plymouth & Cape Cod, MA Genealogy
Entries: 14133 Updated: 2015-05-03 19:41:05 UTC (Sun) Contact: Harry Hadaway
Name: William Freeman
Birth: 1663 in Eastham, Barnstable, MA 1
Reference Number: 4402
LDS Baptism: 13 OCT 1999 ARIZO 2
Endowment: 11 DEC 1934 SLAKE 2
Sealing Child: 15 MAR 1943 2
Death: 1687 3
Father: John Freeman Major b: BEF 28 JAN 1627 in Billingshurst, Sussex, England c: 28 JAN 1627 in
Billingshurst, Sussex, England
Mother: Mercy Prence b: ABT 1631 in Plymouth, Plymouth, MA
Title: Mayflower Marriages from the files of George Ernest Boman at the Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Decendants by Susan E Author: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Title: Ordinance Index (TM) Repository: Name: Family History Library84150 USA Title: The Freemans - The Eastham Branch of the Sandwich Family - Major John Freeman by Josiah Paine, Harwich, MA
RootsWeb.com, Inc. is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. If you have a problem with a particular entry, please contact the submitter of said entry. You have full control over your GEDCOM. You can change or remove it at any time. RootsWeb is funded and supported by Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community. Learn more.
About Us | Contact Us | Acceptable Use Policy | PRIVACY STATEMENT | Copyright © 2016 Ancestry.com
William Freeman, of Eastham's Timeline
Eastham, Cape Cod, Plymouth Colony
Eastham, Cape Cod, Plymouth Colony
February 24, 1686
Eastham, Barnstable County, Dominion of New England
May 31, 1687
Eastham, Barnstable County, Province of Massachusetts