Matching family tree profiles for William Gascoigne, Justice of the Peace
About William Gascoigne, Justice of the Peace
- Sir William Gascoigne, Justice of the Peace for the West Riding, Yorkshire1,2
- M, b. circa 1452, d. 12 March 1487
- Father Sir William Gascoigne2 b. c 1426, d. bt 15 Jul 1461 - 13 Jan 1464
- Mother Jane Neville2 b. c 1434
- Sir William Gascoigne, Justice of the Peace for the West Riding, Yorkshire was born circa 1452 at of Gawthorpe, Yorkshire, England.2 He married Margaret Percy, daughter of Sir Henry Percy, 6th Earl Northumberland, 6th Lord Percy and Eleanor Poynings, before 1469; They had 6 sons (William, Henry, Thomas, Henry, John, & Thomas) and 7 daughters (Margaret, Eleanor, Maud, Joan, Elizabeth, Agnes/Anne, & Dorothy).2 Sir William Gascoigne, Justice of the Peace for the West Riding, Yorkshire died on 12 March 1487.2
- Family Margaret Percy b. c 1453
- Margaret Gascoigne+3 d. a 6 Jul 1515
- Elizabeth Gascoigne+3,4 d. 1559
- Dorothy Gascoigne+3,5 b. c 1470, d. b 18 May 1526
- Agnes Gascoigne+6,3 b. c 1474, d. 1504
- Sir William Gascoigne+ b. 1478, d. 1545
- 1.[S3605] Unknown author, Magna Charta Sureties, 1215, by F. L. Weis, 4th Ed., p. 55.
- 2.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 349.
- 3.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 349-350.
- 4.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 701-702.
- 5.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 498.
- 6.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 302.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p428.htm#i12855
- The Lady Margaret Gascoigne (née Percy) (born c. 1447) was an English noblewoman, the daughter of Henry Percy, 3rd Earl of Northumberland and Eleanor Poynings.
- She married Sir William Gascoigne, "the Younger", son of Sir William Gascoigne and wife. Their daughter Agnes (or Anne) Gascoigne married Sir Thomas Fairfax (died 1520–1521), who was an ancestor of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. Lady Margaret Percy was a descendant of Edward III.
- She married Sir William Gascoigne V (c. 1450 – 1486), son of Sir William Gascoigne IV (c. 1427 – c. 1463) [great-grandson of Sir William Gascoigne I (c. 1350 – 1419), Chief Justice of England] and Joan Neville (c. 1436–1464) (great-granddaughter of Robert Ferrers, 5th Baron Boteler of Wem and Joan Beaufort). The couple had the following children:
- Sir William Gascoigne VI: married firstly Alice Frognall and secondly Margaret Nevill (daughter of Richard Nevill, 2nd Baron Latimer of Snape). Had issue by both marriages. Second son by first marriage, Sir Henry Gascoigne, was ancestor of the Wyvill Baronets (from the 3rd onwards). Male line by primogeniture ended with his grandson William Gascoigne VIII, whose only daughter and heiress (other children died young) Margaret (1530–1592/93) married Sir Thomas Wentworth (1520–1586/87), High Sheriff of York (who thereby got possession of the Gascoigne family seat at Gawthorpe, York), and became the paternal grandmother of Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl of Strafford.
- Margaret or Margery (c. 1473 – 1515): married Ralph Ogle, 3rd Baron Ogle, and had issue.
- Elizabeth (1470–1559): married before April 1493 as his second wife Sir George Tailboys (c. 1467 – 1538), de jure 9th Baron Kyme and Sheriff of Lincolnshire, grandson of Sir William Tailboys, de jure 7th Baron Kyme. This couple were ancestors of Mildred Warner (paternal grandmother of George Washington, 1st president of the USA) and her sister Mary Warner (ancestress of Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, mother of Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom) (see here for descent chart).
- Anne or Agnes (c. 1474 – 1504): married firstly Sir Thomas Fairfax (c. 1475 – 1520). She had twin sons: the elder, Nicholas, was ancestor of Diana, Princess of Wales and the younger, William, was an ancestor of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge (see here for descent chart). Married secondly Ralph Nevill, of Thornton Bridge.
- Dorothy (c. 1475 – 1527): married Sir Ninian Markenfield (died 1527). Ancestors of William Howard Taft, 27th president of the USA Sir Ninian's other wife was Eleanor Clifford, daughter of Henry Clifford, 10th Baron de Clifford. (Of interest: Sir Ninian's sister Anne was ancestress of George Gascoigne, poet, and Zachary Taylor, 12th president of the USA)
- From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Percy
- Margaret PERCY
- Born: ABT 1447, Yorkshire, England
- Father: Henry PERCY (3º E. Northumberland)
- Mother: Eleanor POYNINGS (B. Poynings)
- Married: William GASCOIGNE (Sir Knight) Gawthorpe, Yorkshire, England
- 1. William GASCOIGNE
- 2. John GASCOIGNE
- 3. Thomas GASCOIGNE
- 4. Elizabeth GASCOIGNE
- 5. Margaret GASCOIGNE (B. Ogle)
- 6. Agnes GASCOIGNE
- 7. Dorothy GASCOIGNE
- 8. Eleanor GASCOIGNE
- 9. Anne GASCOIGNE
- 10. Joan GASCOIGNE
- 11. Maud GASCOIGNE
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/PERCY.htm#Margaret PERCY1
- Plantagenet ancestry: a study in colonial and medieval families By Douglas Richardson, Kimball G. Everingham
- Pg. 349
- 13. JOAN NEVILLE, daughter and heiress. She married (1st) about 1459-60 WILLIAM GASCOIGNE, Knt., of Gawthorpe, Yorkshire, and, in right of his wife, of Oversley, Warwickshire, Tyrley, Staffordshire, Womersley, Yorkshire, and Whatton, Nottinghamshire, son and heir of William Gascoigne, Knt., of Gawthorpe, Yorkshire, by Margaret, daughter of Thomas Clarell, Knt., of Aldwark, Yorkshire, They had three sons, William, Knt., John, and Humphrey, and four daughters, Margaret, Agnes (wife of Robert Plumpton, Knt.), Elizabeth and Joan. SIR WILLIAM GASCOIGNE died about 1463. His widow, Joan, married (2nd) by license dated 13 jan. 1463/4 JAMES HARRINGTON, Knt., of Hornby, Yorkshire. They had three sons, John, Thomas and William.
- Children of Joan Neville, by William Gascoigne, Knt.:
- i. WILLIAM GASCOIGNE, Knt. [see next].
- ii. MARGARET GASCOIGNE, married Christopher Warde, Knt., of Givendale, Yorkshire. [see TUNSTALL 12].
- 14. WILLIAM GASCOIGNE, Knt., of Gawthorpe, Yorkshire, Tyrley, Staffordshire, etc., Justice of the Peace for the West Riding, Yorshire, Knight of the Body for King Richard III, son and heir, born about 1450. He married before 1469 MARGARET PERCY, daughter of Henry Percy, Knt., 3rd Earl of Northumberland, 6th Lord Percy (descendant of King Edward III), by Eleanor, daughter and heiress of Richard Poynings, Knt. (descendant of King Edward I) [see PERCY 12 for her ancestry]. They had six sons, William, Knt., Henry, Thomas, Henry (again), John, and Thomas (again) and seven daughters, Margaret (wife of Ralph, Lord Ogle), Eleanor, Maud, Joan, Elizabeth, Anne (or Agnes), and Dorothy. In 1480 he obtained a license to crenellate his house at Gawthorpe and impark over 2,000 acres of his demesne. He was knighted by Richard, Duke of Gloucester (afterwards King Richard III), on campaign near Berwick in 1481. He was present at the Batte of Bosworth in 1485. SIR WILLIAM GASCOIGNE died 12 Mar 1487.
- Children of William Gascoigne, Knt., by Margaret Percy:
- Pg. 350
- i. ANNE (or AGNES) GASCOIGNE, married THOMAS FAIRFAX, Knt., of Walton, Yorkshire [ see FAIRFAX 15].
- ii. ELIZABETH GASCOIGNE, married GEORGE TAILBOYS, Knt., de jure Lord Kyme, styled Earl of Angus [see TAILBOYS 14].
- iii. DOROTHY GASCOIGNE, married NINIAN MARKENFIELD, Knt., of Markenfield, Yorkshire [see MAULEVERER 14].
- The Plumpton letters and papers By Joan Kirby
- Pg. 316
- Gascoigne, Sir William (1450-87)
- Of the senior branch of a landed family descended from Henry V's chief justice Sir William Gascoigne, of Gawthorpe (d.1419). Sir William's father and namesake (d. by 1477) married Joan, daughter and co-heiress of John Neville of Womersley, whose second wife was Margaret, daughter of Sir William Plumpton and widow of Sir George Darrell.
- His son's marriage with Margaret Percy, daughter of the 3rd earl of Northumberland promoted his advance under his brother-in-law the 4th earl, to whom he owed his appointment as deputy steward of Knaresborough. Both had been attainted after Towton, but whereas William was pardoned in July 1641, Henry Percy had remained nearly ten years in the wilderness. . . . . .
- . . . He died in March 1487 leaving his eldest son a minor, aged eighteen or nineteen.
- Anne (or Agnes) Gascoigne (circa 1474, at Gawthorpe, Yorkshire, England – 1504, at Walton, Yorkshire, England ), was the daughter of Sir William Gascoigne (son of another Sir William Gascoigne) and Lady Margaret Percy. Through her mother, she is descended from Edward III. Anne Gascoigne and her husband, Sir Thomas Fairfax, are common ancestors of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
- From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Gascoigne
Birth: Abt 1445, Gawthorpe,Yorkshire,England
Death: 4 MAR 1486/1487
Title: [SIR KNIGHT]
Identification Number: 20262
Father: William GASCOIGNE (b. Abt 1439, Of,Gawthorpe,Yorkshire,England; d. 1463)
Mother: Joan NEVILLE (b. Abt 1443, Of,Oversley,,England)
Family 1: Margaret PERCY (b. Abt 1447, Yorkshire,England)
Children of William GASCOIGNE and Margaret PERCY
William M 1467 Of,Fryston,York,England 20 OCT 1551
John M Abt 1468 Of,Fryston,York,England
Thomas M Abt 1470 Of,Gawthorpe,York,England
Elizabeth F Abt 1471 Of,Gawthorpe,York,England Abt 1553
Margaret F Abt 1473 Of,Gawthorpe,York,England Aft 6 JUL 1515
Agnes F Abt 1474 Of,Gawthorpe,York,England
Dorothy F Abt 1476 Of,Gawthorpe,York,England
Elinor F Abt 1478 Of,Gawthorpe,York,England
Anne F Abt 1479 Of,Gawthorpe,York,England
Joan F Abt 1481 Of,Gawthorpe,York,England
Maude F Abt 1483 Of,Gawthorpe,York,England
- ID: I027482
- Name: William Gascoigne
- Sex: M
- Birth: ABT 1445
- Death: 4 MAR 1487
Father: George Gascoigne b: ABT 1399 in Of, Cardington, Bedfordshire, England
Mother: Elizabeth Rufford b: ABT 1401 in <Of, Cardington, Bedfordshire, England>
Marriage 1 Margaret 'Margery' Percy b: ABT 1447
1. Elizabeth Gascoigne b: ABT 1471
2. Margaret Gascoigne b: ABT 1473 in Of, Gawthorpe, York, England
Marriage 2 Elizabeth Vynter Or Wynter
William Gascoigne, Justice of the Peace's Timeline
Gawthorp, Yorkshire, England
Fryston, York Co., England
Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Gawthorpe, Yorkshire, England
Gawthorpe, Yorkshire, England
Probably Gawthorpe, Yorkshire, England, (Present UK)