Matching family tree profiles for William Greenfield, Min. of St Giles, Edinburgh
About William Greenfield, Min. of St Giles, Edinburgh
"William Greenfield, son of Capt. 1787 John G. and Grizel Cockburn ; M.A. (Edinburgh, 7th April 1778); ord. to Wemyss 6th Sept. 1781 ; trans, to St Andrew's, Edinburgh, 25th Nov. 1784 ; pres. by the Town Council 21st Feb., trans, and adm. 1st April 1787, holding in conjunction the Professorship of Rhetoric ; Almoner to the King, March 1789, which he res. in 1798; D.D. (Edinburgh, 31st March 1789) ; Moderator of Assembly 19th May 1796 ; dem. 20th, and dep. 26th Dec. 1798. He was degraded by the Univ. from his degrees of M.A. and D.D. ; died in the North of England 28th April 1827. He marr. 22nd Nov. 1782, Janet Bervie, who assumed the name of Rutherford, died 20th June 1827, and had issue —
- Margaret, born 25th July 1784
- Hugh Blair of Crosshill, captain 25th Regt., born 7th May 1786
- Grizel, born 5th Dec. 1787 (marr. Thomas Clark, min. of St Andrew's, Edinburgh)
- Jane, born 7th July 1789
- Andrew, Senator of the College of Justice, born 21st June 1791, died 13th Dec. 1854
- James Hunter, major R.E., born 13th Aug. 1794."
- Wikipedia contributors. "William Greenfield (minister)." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.
- Waterston, Charles D; Macmillan Shearer, A (July 2006). Former Fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 1783-2002: Biographical Index. I. Edinburgh: The Royal Society of Edinburgh. ISBN 978-0-902198-84-5. page 382
- Though his date of election to RSE is 17/11/1783, his name does not appear on the List of Founding Fellows (17/11/1783) in the RSE Roll Book.
William Greenfield, Min. of St Giles, Edinburgh's Timeline
June 21, 1791
June 28, 1827