|Birthplace:||Offaly, Offaly, Ireland|
|Death:||Died in Augusta County, Va|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for William McKee
About William McKee
Another lists his wife’s name as
- ELIZABETH [-?-]
- ELIZABETH TODD;
- MARY ANDERSON abt. 1724 No. Ireland b.abt. 1703 County Down, Ireland d. Montgomery Co., Ky..
- Mary Campbell
1. Judith Elaine (McKee) Burns, Descendants and Ancestors of Joseph Howe McKee of Owen County, Indiana (McKee's of Virginia, Kentucky and Indiana, The (Transcript), Judith Elaine (McKee) Burns,
2. George Wilson McKee, McKees of Virginia and Kentucky, the, Pittsburgh, J. B. Richards, 1891. "
William, the Pioneer.
It is thought that William McKee, the pioneer, left Lancaster county. Pa., and joined his brothers Roberl and John, on Kerr's Creek, Rockbridge county, Va., about 1760.
It will be seen that Hugh Ware McKee says in his statement: " Grandfather's brother, William (one of the eleven) settled in Augusta county (or Botetourt) and his family moved to Kentucky about 1788 or 1790, and most of them live now in Montgomery county, Ky. He died in Virginia."
Mr. Henrv Clay McKee, of Mt. Sterling, Ky., says: "Wm. McKee, with others, came to Pennsylvania from the North of Ireland about 1736, and moved from Lancaster county, Pa., to Botetourt county, now Rock- bridge county, Va., in about 1749."
It therefore may be possible that he went to Virginia earlier than 1760, but most of the family traditions point to the latter date as the correct one.
I have little information as to details in his life, but only know that he had the reputation of being an upright, honorable gentleman and a good citizen in every respect.
His descendants in Kentucky have always been noted as men of great integrity, and markedly strong character."
4th. In 1738 when a large migration of Scotch-Irish Presbyterians to Pennsylvania and the valley of Virginia took place, some brothers MeKee, variously estimated from five to ten or eleven sons of one who had borne a part in the defence of Derry, arrived in America and first settled near Lancaster, Pa. There they separated some settling near Wheeling, W. Va., and Pittsburgh, Pa., and some going to the far West. Two of the brothers, John and Robert, went almost directly to Virginia, (about 1757) and settled on a portion of Borden's grant, on Kerr's Creek, in what is now Rockbridge county, about eight miles north-west of Lexington.
In 1760, William, another of the brothers, also removed to Augusta county, Va.
An account of the descendants of these pioneers, Robert, John and William, may be found in the statements from several sources which follow."
and yet another place in the book states
In 1737 when a large migration of Scotch-Irish Presbyterians to Pennsylvania and the Valley of Virginia took place, five brothers McKee came with that colony.
1 ) Two of them. John and Robert, settled on a portion of Burden's grant, on Carr's Creek, in what is now Rockbridge County, about eight miles north-west of Lexington.
2) The other three brothers settled in and near Lancaster, Pa., remained at that place until 1760, when William, one of the brothers, removed to Augusta County, Va., from which place his family removed in 1788 to Kentucky and settled in Mason and Montgomery Counties. The other two brothers removed about the same period (1788), from Lancaster to Pittsburgh and Wheeling respectively...."
He is listed as being
William McKee (James MacKey1) was born 1668 in Strathnaver, Scotland, and died in Kerrs Creek, Rockbridge, Virginia, USA. He married Mariam BROWN 1690 in Ulster, Scotland. She was born 1670 in Down, Ireland, and died in Down, Ireland.
Children of William McKee and Mariam BROWN are:
- 1 i. Robert McKee was born 1692 in Down, Ireland, and died 11 JUN 1774 in Kerrs Creek, Rockbridge, Virginia, USA.
- 2 ii. William McKee was born 1700 in Down, Ireland, and died 1790 in Augusta, Virginia, USA.
- 3 iii. John McKee was born 1707 in Atrium, Northern Ireland, and died 2 MAR 1792 in Kerrs Creek, Rockbridge, Virginia, USA.
- 4 iv. Margaret McKee was born 1724 in Ireland, and died 1789 in Kerrs Creek, Rockbridge, Virginia, USA.
- 5 v. James McKee was born in Atrium, Northern Ireland, and died 1757 in Augusta, Virginia, USA.
- 6 vi. David McKee was born 1715 in Down, Ireland, and died 11 OCT 1795 in Mckeesport, Allegheny, Pennsylvania, USA. He married Margaret Patterson. She was born in Ireland.