About William Butler Simpson
William Butler Simpson was born in 1798, and inherited his talent as an artist from his father, and founded the firm WB Simpson & Sons LTD in 1833. He gradually built up the business during his lifetime before passing away in 1882 at the age of 84. In 1849 The Society of Arts presented him with a gold medal in recognition of his efforts to promote the improvement of design, particularly in wallpapers. In 1851 he received a bronze medal from at the International Exhibition of Decorators, and was further made a Freeman of The City of London. In 1852 his two sons, William Fredrick, and Edward Henry, were apprenticed to the firm and later were made partners in 1860. It was they who altered the style of the firm to W.B.Simpson & Sons. They traded from 456 West Strand, opposite the Grand Hotel, but in 1868 moved to premises built by the sons at 100 St Martins Lane. The whole of the upper floors of 100 St Martins Lane was used as tile painting studio and for Mosaic and Ecclesiastical “Opus Sectile” panels and stained glass. Single 8”x8” hand painted tiles then sold from 2/- up to 30/-.
Source: "WB Simpson & Sons LTD"
William Butler Simpson's Timeline
March 16, 1798
April 20, 1838
London, Middlesex, England
June 1, 1882
Queen Anne's Gate, Westminster, Middlesex, England