About William Somerville, Min. of Hawick
William Somerville, born 1691, son of Thomas S., min. of Cavers ; M.A. (Edinburgh, 9th April 1707); tutor in the family of Alexander, fourth Lord Elibank ; licen. by Presb. of Duns 6th Oct. 1719, "and soon after became an inmate in the family of James, Lord Somerville, in whose house he remained, managing his Lordship's business affairs till the time of his ordination"; called 17th Nov. 1731 ; ord. 29th March 1732 ; died 8th Feb. 1757. He marr. (1) 19th Oct. 1732, Janet (died 10th June 1749), daugh. of John Grierson, min. of Queensferry, and had issue —
- Agnes, born 26th June 1735;
- Helen, born 14th Aug. 1736;
- Thomas, D.D., min. of Jedburgh ;
- Janet, born 12th Nov. 1745
(2) 16th July 1753, Isabel Scott of Whitehaugh, who died 1st May 1759.
SOURCE: Fasti ecclesiae scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the reformation, Vol. II, page 115