William Stanley, of Hooton
French: William Campbell, of Hooton
|Birthplace:||Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, United Kingdom|
|Death:||Died in Ellesmere Port, Cheshire West and Chester, England, United Kingdom|
Son of Sir William Stanley of Stourton and Hooton and Anne (Agnes) Stanley
|Managed by:||Andrea Bernadette Twiss-Brooks|
Matching family tree profiles for William Stanley, V
About William Stanley, V
- Sir William Stanley, Sheriff of Cheshire1,2,3,4
- M, #69884, b. circa 1474, d. after 1529
- Father Sir William Stanley5,6 b. c 1445, d. 3 Mar 1512
- Mother Agnes Grosvenor1,5,6 b. c 1448, d. 25 Jul 1520
- Sir William Stanley, Sheriff of Cheshire was born circa 1474 at of Hooton in Wirral & Storeton, Cheshire, England; Age 38 in 1512 & 46 in 1520.1,2,4 He married Anne Harrington, daughter of Sir James Harington and Isabella Radcliffe, before 18 August 1505; Date of fine for marrying without a license. They had 3 sons (Sir William; Peter, Esq; & John) & 2 daughters (Agnes, wife of Andrew Barton; & Katherine).1,2,3,4 Sir William Stanley, Sheriff of Cheshire died after 1529.1,2,4
- Family Anne Harrington b. c 1479, d. a 16 Aug 1528
- Sir William Stanley+1 b. c 1506, d. b 1547
- [S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 291.
- [S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 120.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. I, p. 561.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 502.
- [S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 119.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 501.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2325.htm#i69884
- Sir William Stanley1
- M, #13856
- Last Edited=11 Apr 2008
- Sir William Stanley was invested as a Knight. He lived at Hooton, Cheshire, England.1
- Child of Sir William Stanley
- 1.Peter Stanley+1
- 1.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 2, page 1893. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p1386.htm#i13856
- William STANLEY (Sir)
- Born: 1473, Hooton, Cheshire, England
- Acceded: Hooton
- Died: AFT 1529
- Father: William STANLEY
- Mother: Anne (Agnes) GROSVENOR
- Married: Anne HARRINGTON BEF 1483
- 1. William STANLEY
- 2. Peter STANLEY (Esq.)
- 3. Agnes STANLEY
- 4. John STANLEY
- 5. Catherine STANLEY
- 6. James STANLEY
- 7. Thomas STANLEY
- 8. Edmund STANLEY
- 9. Julia STANLEY
- 10. Isabel STANLEY
- 11. Alice STANLEY
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/STANLEY4.htm#William STANLEY (Sir)2
- Sir William Stanley
- Birth: 1474
- Death: unknown
- Family links:
- William Stanley (____ - 1512)
- Agnes Grosvenor Stanley (____ - 1521)
- Anne Harrington Stanley (1480 - ____)*
- Agnes Stanley Barton*
- Peter Stanley (____ - 1592)*
- William Stanley*
- Burial: Eastham, St Mary's Churchyard, Bromborough, Metropolitan Borough of Wirral, Merseyside, England
- Find A Grave Memorial# 135886437
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=135886437
- The baronetage of England: containing a genealogical and historical account ... By Thomas Wotton
- Idem Willielmus Stanley, one of the King's carvers, made fheriff for his life, 26 Feb. 5 Edw. IV. he continued fheriff till 10 Hen. VII. for, foon after Edw. IV. had obtained the crown he crated a new fheriff of Chefhire, notwithftanding the patent for lives, granted to Sir Robert Booth, of Dunham-Maffey, and William his fon, by Hen. VI. This appears, by Stanley firft patent, in Sir R. Leyceftyer's Chefhire, p. 181. Sir William married, firft, Margaret, daughter and heir of Sir John Bromley, Knt. by whom he had a daughter, Margaret, married to Gerard de Brinn, in Lancafhire. His fecond wife was Agnes, third daughter and coheir of Robert Grofvenor, of Holme, by whom he had
- Sir William Stanley, his fon and heir, who married Anne, eldeft daughter and coheir of Sir James Harrington, of Wool-
- ftadge in Northamptonfhire, Knt. by whom he had Catherine, William, Sir Rowland, Peter, John and Agnes.
- William Stanley, his eldeft fon, made fheriff of Chefhire (durante bene placito), 20 Feb. 17 Hen. VIII. he married Grace, daughter of Sir Willliam Griffiths, Knt. chamberlain of North-Wales.
- Peter, third fon, married Elizabeth, daughter of James Scarfbrooke, of Bickerftaff in Lancafhire, from whom the family of Stanley of More-hall are defcended.
- John, fourth fon, married Anne, daughter of Sir Robert Huntington, from whom are derived the Stanleys, of Dalegath in Cumberland.
- The origin of the tenure by the Bradshagh family of a fourth part of the manor of Westleigh has not been ascertained. Roger de Bradshagh (fn. 55) gave lands here to his son John, about the year 1250, a date suggested by the witnesses' names, one of whom was Adam de Westleigh. (fn. 56) Besides John, afterwards of Westleigh, Roger had issue, William, who married Mabel la Norrise, and had with her the manors of Haigh and Blackrod, (fn. 57) and Adam, perhaps ancestor of the Bradshaghs of Aspull. (fn. 58) John de Bradshagh had issue two sons, Richard (fn. 59) and William. Richard had Westleigh by inheritance from his father and Blackrod under a settlement made in 1337 by Mabel de Bradshagh; William had Haigh under a similar settlement. (fn. 60) Richard had issue Roger, who is named with his wife in the settlement of 1337. (fn. 61) Hugh their son married Margaret daughter and heir of John de Verdon of Brixworth, county Northants, who immediately after her husband's death in August, 1383, (fn. 62) married John son and heir of Roger de Pilkington. (fn. 63) In 1385 William son and heir of Hugh and Margaret, being under age, was committed to the care of Henry de Bradshagh, who was to pay £80 within eight years for wardship of the heir's lands in Westleigh and Blackrod. (fn. 64) At the death of Sir William Bradshagh, chr., in 1415, he and Joan his wife were seised of this manor, and held it of the king in chief as of his duchy of Lancaster by knight's service and 6d. perannum. It was worth £20 beyond reprises. Elizabeth wife of Richard Harrington son of James Harrington, knt., was his daughter and heir, then aged thirteen years. (fn. 65) William Harrington, knt., their son, had a dispensation in 1442 to marry Elizabeth daughter of Edmund Pilkington, esq., being within the degrees of consanguinity. (fn. 66) He died in 1488, James Harrington, knt., his son and heir being then forty years of age. (fn. 67)
- Sir James Harrington made his will in 1493 and died in 1497, leaving ten daughters his coheirs. (fn. 68) In the partition of his estates made in 1517 the manor of Westleigh fell to the share of Anne, one of his daughters and coheirs, wife of Sir Richard Stanley (fn. 69) of Hooton, county Chester, knt., Alice wife of Richard Hoghton (fn. 70) and daughter of Sir Thomas Assheton, knt., by Agnes, another daughter and coheir, and Isabel, wife of John Tresham, another daughter and coheir. (fn. 71) In 1560 Rowland Stanley,knt., grandson of Sir William, sold his estate here to William Norris of Speke, knt., (fn. 72) whose son Edward ....
- In 1527, ten years after the partition of the Harrington estates here, John Urmston set up a claim to Westley Heath, which had been assigned by Sir William Harrington, 'to be a sportyng place' to his tenants of Westleigh, to be occupied as common for their cattle, and also to have butts at which to shoot, and 'to have their dysportes wythyn the same Heth,' claiming the heath as parcel of his manor of Westleigh, of which he and his ancestors had been possessed for upwards of 200 years. The claim was resisted by Dame Isabel Tresham, widow, and Sir William Stanley of Hooton, knt., and Dame Anne his wife. The result of the suit is not recorded, but the heath remains common land to this day, in accordance with Sir William Harrington's intention. (fn. 88)
- From: 'Townships: Westleigh', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 3 (1907), pp. 421-426. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41360 Date accessed: 01 June 2012.
- http://www.fintco.demon.co.uk/stanley/ches-hooton.htm#22.214.171.124.2 Sir William Stanley
William Stanley, V's Timeline
Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, United Kingdom
Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, United Kingdom
Brickenstaff, Lancashire, England
Ellesmere Port, Cheshire West and Chester, England, United Kingdom