William Stevens, Sr.

Is your surname Stevens?

Research the Stevens family

William Stevens, Sr.'s Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


William Stevens, Sr.

Birthplace: Herkimer, Herkimer, New York, United States
Death: Died in Holden, Millard, Utah, United States
Place of Burial: Holden, Millard County, Utah, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of Roswell Stevens; Roswell Stevens, Sr.; Sibbell Stevens and Sybell Spencer
Husband of Marinda Stevens and Matilda Stevens
Father of Albert Stevens; Rachel Stevens; Edward Stevens and David Riley Stevens
Brother of Roswell Stevens, Jr. and Walter Joshua Stevens, Sr.

Managed by: Alethea Hall
Last Updated:

About William Stevens, Sr.

DIED -- "At Fillmore, at 5:20 a.m., on Saturday February 4th, of pleurisy and lung fever, AMASA M. LYMAN. Deceased was born in the township of Lyman, Grafton County, New Hampshire, March 30th 1813. He was the son of Roswell Lyman and Martha Mason."

Then following his obituary is William Stevens:

At Holden, Millard County, U. T., Feb. 3rd 1877, of gravel, WILLIAM STEVENS, Sen.

Deceased was a son of Roswell and Sibbell (Spencer) Stevens; was born October 1st, 1799, in Herkimer, Herkimer Co., New York; moved with his parents in 1801 into the frontier of Upper Canada, on Grand River, where the town of Brantford sprang up; subsequently his father moved to one fork of Grand River, where he bought a saw-mill and made improvements upon it and was extensively engaged in the lumber business for some six years; failing to meet his last payments in full on the mill property, he lost the whole concern.

From 1807 to 1818 he moved about from place to place, wherever he could get work at his trade. In 1812 he was in the war as a master mechanic, and in 1819 he moved to Mount Pleasant, about six miles from Grand River, where William grew to manhood and married September 2, 1827, Marinda Thomas.

Their six eldest children were born there.

He first heard the gospel preached by Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon, in Mount Pleasant, 1835. In June of the next year he embraced the truth, and was baptized by Elder John P. Greene. He was a farmer. He was the eldest son of his father's family, and the care of the family rested upon him in the absence of his father, who was from home much of his time following his trade.

In 1837 he sold out his landed improvements and on the 3rd of August started to gather with the Saints in Missouri, but when he reached Hancock County, Illinois, on account of sickness in his family and the lateness of the season he was compelled to stop, which he did; in 1830 the Saints were driven out of Missouri and settled along the Mississippi in Commerce and other places, and some settled in LaHarp, within four miles of where he was living. He buried two children and had five born in Hancock County, Ill.

In Oct. 1845 he moved into Nauvoo and spent the winter, and in June, 1846, with a scanty outfit he started west and found the camp of the Saints at Council Bluffs, where he had one child born. He buried there his father, sister, wife and three children.

On the 15th day of June, 1850, he started westward again, arriving in Salt Lake City October 3rd of the same year; camped on the Jordan for a few days, after which he moved and camped on the bottoms at American Fork for a few weeks, but finally built a log house in the fort at Pleasant Grove and wintered there.

In the spring of 1851, he moved from the fort to his farm, between Pleasant Grove and American Fork, where he lived till the Fall of 1853, when the Indian troubles drove him into Pleasant Grove, where he had but just rebuilt his house, when a call was made upon him and others to move south to strengthen the settlements in Iron County.

In November of that same Fall, he gathered up his affects and went south; at the request of President George A. Smith, he stopped at Fillmore, Millard Co., where he went into the canyon, hauled out logs and built a house, into which he moved on Christmas day, and spent the balance of the winter in building the fort at Fillmore, as a defense against the Indians.

In the Spring of 1855 he was called by Prest. John A. Ray, with nine other families, to build a fort and settle on Pioneer Creek, in Millard County, with the view of taking care of all the stock in the county. They commenced to haul rock and to make every preparation to build the fort, where it was discovered that the water was failing, hence they all moved to Cedar Springs where they built a fort that same season, where since has sprung up the flourishing and beautiful town of Holden, where he lived the rest of his life.

He was ever ready to minister to the wants of the needy. He was successful in the business of life and accumulated some means which he liberally used for the benefit of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. His property he equally divided among his seven surviving children, with written instructions to each of them to use it for the education of his grandchildren.

Published in the Deseret News Feb. 21, 1877. (original copy has no paragraphs)

view all

William Stevens, Sr.'s Timeline

October 1, 1799
Herkimer, Herkimer, New York, United States
December 16, 1828
Age 29
Mount Pleasant, Brant, Ontario, Canada
December 1, 1834
Age 35
Ontario, Canada
November 21, 1839
Age 40
August 26, 1841
Age 41
La Harpe, Illinois, USA
February 5, 1876
Age 76
Holden, Millard County, Utah, United States
February 5, 1877
Age 77
Holden, Millard, Utah, United States