William Twining, Sr.
|Also Known As:||"William Twenynge"|
|Death:||Died in Eastham, Cape Cod, Plymouth Colony|
|Occupation:||Was a Puritan and Soldier in 1645 - fought against the Narragansett Indians|
|Managed by:||Terry Ann Twining|
Matching family tree profiles for William Twining, Sr.
About William Twining, Sr.
Spelling variation "TWENYNGE"
- William Twining1
- M, #89364, b. 20 May 1599, d. 15 April 1659
- Father William Twining2 b. c 1575
- William Twining was christened on 20 May 1599 at Painswick, Gloucestershire, England.1 He married Ann circa 1618 at of Gloucestershire, England.1 William Twining died on 15 April 1659 at Eastham, Barnstable, MA, at age 59.1
- Family Ann b. c 1603, d. b Mar 1652
- William Twining+1 b. 25 Oct 1619, d. 4 Nov 1703
- Elizabeth Twining+1 b. c 1649, d. 10 Mar 1725
- 1. [S14] Unknown author, New England Marriages Prior to 1700, by Clarence Almon Torrey., p. 761.
- 2. [S61] Unknown author, Family Group Sheets, Family History Archives, SLC.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2974.htm#i89364
- William Twining, Jr
- Birth: May 20, 1599 Hertfordshire, England
- Death: Apr. 15, 1659 Eastham, Barnstable County, Massachusetts, USA
- William Twining was born in England, possibly at Painswick, Gloustershire, in the late 16th century. He was probably the son of William and Mabel Newcombe Twining, He married in England and had two children. The name of this first wife is unknown. She may have died in England, or she may have died in Yarmouth or Eastham. Sometime before 1640, he came to New England with his family. Around June, 1641, they moved from Plymouth to Yarmouth, Barnstable, Massachusetts, for his name is found in court records there at that time, as a resident of Yarmouth. His daughter Isabel was married in Yarmouth that same month, to Francis Baker. This indicates either they might have known Baker in Hertfordshire, where Baker originated, or they might have been in contact in Plymouth before they came to Yarmouth. William settled with his son in Yarmouth and in 1643, and his name was on a list of men able to bear arms. In 1645, he was one of five soldiers sent out against the Narragansett Indians. His first wife was certainly dead by 1652, for in that year he married Anna Doane in Yarmouth. On May 13, 1654 he was granted some land in Yarmouth. In 1655, he was made freeman in Yarmouth, and that year he was granted land in Poche, which later became Eastham, in Barnstable County. In 1659, he was granted more land in Poche. William died in Eastham on April 15, 1659, and he is buried in the Cove Burying Ground in Eastham, Massachusetts. There is no marker.
- Thanks to Becky Doan 46821004, for information about his burial and the following sources:
- William Twining in the U.S. and Canada, Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s, Name: William Twining, Arrival Year: 1641, Arrival Place: Plymouth, Massachusetts, Source Publication Code: 1262, Primary Immigrant: Twining, William, Annotation: Date and place of settlement or date and place of arrival. Names not restricted to the Order of Founders and Patriots of America. Source Bibliography: COLKET, MEREDITH B., JR. Founders of Early American Families: Emigrants from Europe, 1607-1657. Cleveland: General Court of the Order of Founders and Patriots of America, 1975. 366p, Page: 299
- William Twinning in the U.S., New England Marriages Prior to 1700, Name: William Twinning, Gender: Male, Marriage Date: 1625, Death Year: 1659, Marriage Place: New England, United States, Spouse's Name: Ann
- William Twining I in the Global, Find A Grave Index for Non-Burials, Burials at Sea, and other Select Burial Locations, 1300s-Current, Name: William Twining, Birth Date: 20 May 1599, Birth Place: Gloucestershire, England, Death Date: 15 Apr 1659, Death Place: Eastham, Barnstable County, Massachusetts, USA, Cemetery:, Has Bio?: Y, Spouse: Anna Twining, Children: Isabel Baker, Elizabeth Twining
- Family links:
- Anna Doane Twining (1600 - 1680)*
- Isabel Twining Baker (1615 - 1706)*
- Elizabeth Twining (1617 - ____)*
- Burial: Cove Burying Ground, Eastham, Barnstable County, Massachusetts, USA
- Find A Grave Memorial# 40922094
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=twining&GSfn=william&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=21&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=40922094&df=all&
William Twining, Sr.'s Timeline
May 20, 1599
St. Albans, Hertfordshire, England
October 25, 1625
Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England
April 15, 1659
Eastham, Cape Cod, Plymouth Colony
Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England