|Birthplace:||Loudoun County, Virginia, United States|
|Death:||Died in Albany, Clinton County, Kentucky, United States|
Son of Samuel Wood and Sarah Wood
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for William Wood
About William Wood
William Wood (son of Samuel Wood and Sarah Reives) was born 13 Jun 1773 in Loudoun, VA and died 11 Jan 1851 in Clinton, KY, USA.
- March 14, 1814 in Wayne, KY to Elinor McComeskey RYAN b: 7 JUL 1786 in Guilford, North Carolina. She was the daughter of James RYAN b: AFT. 1750 & McComeskey GREEAR. 6 children.
- May 26, 1826 in Overton, TN to Mary Cargile (Polly Courqil) b 1785 in NC. She was the daughter of William Cargile & Margaret Ashincroft. 1 child.
- In 1800 Samuel's oldest son William, a surveyor, moved his mother and his two youngest brothers, John and George, into his home in Cumberland County, Kentucky, where Sarah died at the age of 91 in 1839.
- From the will of William Cargile, dated 23 July 1842. A negro girl, MARY, bequeathed to his daughter Polly and her children. Polly was married to William Wood on 26 May 1826. At some point they moved to Clinton Co., KY. On 8 July 1838 Adam Staley purchased 100 acres on Wolf River bounded by the KY/TN state line and properties of William Wood and the widow Cargile from John Cilton. Co executor along with brother in law Adam Staley.
- 1850 - US Federal Census. William Wood. Age: 76. Birth Year:abt 1774. Birthplace: Virginia. Home in 1850: District 2, Clinton, Kentucky. Gender: Male. Family Number: 19. Occupation: farmer. Household Members: Mary Wood, age 62. Thomas T Wood, age 31, William C Wood age 22, merchant. Year: 1850; Census Place: District 2, Clinton, Kentucky; Roll: M432_197; Page: 184B; Image: 183.
- Samuel and His Seven Sons" by William L. & Vera Wood and Ruby M. Whitaker Buck
Named for his grandfather in England. 10 Oct 1796 commissioned Lieutenant of TN. Malitia.Surveyor for Cumberland County,Kentucky. Active in Clerk for Baptist Church. In 1804 appointed Sheriff and Justice or the Peace for Cumberland County. Later served as KY. state representative and state senator. Promoted to rank of Brevet Major during War of 1812. A marker has been erected in his honor next to the county courthouse in Albany, Clinton, KY.
3 different marriages.
William Wood's Timeline
June 13, 1773
Loudoun County, Virginia, United States
January 30, 1815
Clinton, Hickman County, Kentucky, United States
March 7, 1818
Cumberland , Kentucky, United States
December 16, 1827
Cumberland, Kentucky, United States
January 11, 1851
Albany, Clinton County, Kentucky, United States