William le Barker (le Bercer)
|Birthplace:||Calverhill, Whitchurch, Shropshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Hallon, Worfield, Shropshire, England|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for William de Calverhall
About William de Calverhall
William de Calverhall or William le Barker, of Hallon
William le Barker, probably the son of Randulph (Ralph) de Coverall. He obtained land at Hallon in Worfield, co. Salop, 1327; granted to his daughters reversion of a small holding in Hallon occupied by Simon Poynant, 1340.
Note: He fled to Warfieled following the attainder and execution of his over-lord Bartholomew de Badlesmere, and assumed the name Le Barker
"It seems then that the early history of the family may have been somewhat as follows. In those tumultuous years when Edward II was fleeing through the West of England from his Queen and his Barons, a son of Ralph de Coverall came from the North to the South of Shropshire, and settled at Hallon, taking, we know not why, the name of le Barker. A hundred years later one of his descendants went to Aston, while another returned to the North, and obtaining property at Colchurst, not far from Calverhall or Coverall, where his forefathers had lived, he very naturally assumed the name of Coverall as an alias. Double names were fairly common in the Middle Ages as they are now, but while nowadays the old and new names are hyphened, they were then connected by the word alias for a few generations, after which one or the other was usually dropped. So it was that for a time the Barkers of Colchurst and Wolverton in North Shropshire styled themselves alias Coverall, and called their ancestor so at the Visitation, though it does not appear that this designation was ever actually used either at Worfield, Claverley, or Hopton Castle, where it would have had no associations."
- Barker Family website
- Visitation of Gloucestershire (1682-)1684. (Google eBook) 1854.
- Biographical and genealogical history of the state of Delaware Volume 1 (Google eBook) by Runk, J.M. & Co. 1899. Not in copyright.
- Worfield on the Worfe, in and near Severn valley, a brief history (Google eBook) by Samuel Benjamin James. 1878. Out of copyright.
- Title: Clay Co., IN Families Barker family tree, 1200-1977
- Abbrev: Barker family tree
- Author: Houk, Andrew K
- Publication: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City, 1984
- Name: Family History Library
- Title: Genealogy by Jim Hammer, Url: http://www.ncn.net/~hammer/genealog.html,October 24, 1998: Downloaded 27 Oct 98
- Abbrev: Genealogy
William de Calverhall's Timeline
Calverhill, Whitchurch, Shropshire, England
Warfield, Shropshire, England
Hallon, Worfield, Shropshire, England