Zvi Nishri (Orloff)
Hebrew: צבי נשרי
|Death:||Died in Israel|
|Place of Burial:||Tel Aviv-Yafo, Tel Aviv District, Israel|
Son of Raphael Orloff and Rachel Orloff
|Occupation:||Pioneer in modern physical education in Palestine, and subsequently in Israel., ראשון מורי החינוך הגופני בארץ וממקימי תנועת הספורט "מכבי" ותנועת הצופים העבריים|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Historical records matching Zvi Nishri
About Zvi Nishri
Zvi Nishri צבי נשרי (Orloff) (January 4, 1878 – July 22, 1973) was a pioneer in modern physical education in Palestine, and subsequently in Israel.
Nishri, who was Jewish, was born in Russia, where he served as a soldier. His sister was the sculptor, Chana Orloff, and his nephew was Raful Eitan.
He immigrated to Palestine in 1903. He initially worked as a laborer, in Petach Tikvah.
Physical education career
In 1906 he became involved in physical education. In 1908, he started to teach physical education. By 1912, he was teaching it to prospective teachers. In 1911, he introduced Scandanavian gymnastics to Palestine He taught at the Herzliya High School for 40 years.
Nishri authored the first physical education publications in Hebrew, and established the first physical education and sports terminology in Hebrew. In 1913, he began writing physical education publications in Hebrew, starting with books on gymnastics and football. Over the years, he published scores of such books.
Nishri was a founder in Palestine of the Maccabi movement, which he coached in gymnastics, and of the Scout movement.
Nishri was inducted as a member of the International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame in 1981.
The Wingate Institute established a prize in his honor. In addition, the Wingate Institute's Terner Pedagogical Centre contains the Zvi Nishri Archives.
Zvi changed his name from Orloff which means an eagle in Russian to Nishri which is the Hebrew name,
Zvi was a pioneer in Physical Education in Israel, and was a member of Kibbutz Maagan Michael.
Zvi Nishri's Timeline
January 4, 1878
July 7, 1917
Zikhron Ya'akov, Israel
July 22, 1973
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Tel Aviv District, Israel