Historical records matching Reginald Robinson Lee
About Reginald Robinson Lee
Married to either Evelyn Frances Armstrong or Emily Selina H Hill
Deck Crew » Lookout
- Name: Mr Reginald Robinson Lee
- Born: Thursday 19th May 1870 in Benson Oxfordshire England
- Age: 41 years 10 months and 27 days.
- Married to Emily Salina Hannah (née Hill) Lee.
- Last Residence: at 62 Threefold Lane Southampton Hampshire England
- Occupation: Lookout
- Last Ship: Olympic
- Deck crew
- First Embarked: Southampton
- Rescued (boat 13)
- Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
- Died: Wednesday 6th August 1913
- Cause of Death: Pneumonia
- Buried: Highland Road Cemetery Southsea Hampshire England on Monday 11th August 1913.
Mr Reginald Robinson Lee was born in Bensington , Oxfordshire in 1870, the son of William Lee (schoolmaster) and his wife Jane . He was baptized at the church of St. Helen, Bensington on 19 June 1870.
While the family were living in Bensington a daughter, Agnes, was born. Around 1886 they moved to Hampshire where another son, Herbert, was born and three more daughters followed .
In 1881 William was schoolmaster at St. Jude's School, Portsea, Hampshire.
When he signed-on to the Titanic in Southampton on 6 April 1912, Reginald Lee gave his address as 62 Threefold Lane, (Southampton). He had transferred from the Olympic. As a lookout he received monthly wages of £5.
Lee was in the crows nest with Fred Fleet when the iceberg was sighted at about 11.40 p.m. on 14 April 1912. He was rescued in lifeboat 13.
Lee subsequently testified before the board of trade inquiry. He died 6th August 1913 whilst serving aboard the Kenilworth Castle. He is buried at Highland Road Cemetery, Southsea.
- 1. Commonly known as Benson
- 2. The 1871 census lists William (23), Jane (22) and Reginald (11m) living at the Schoolhouse and National School in Bensington. William Lee was born in London and Jane (listed as schoolmistress) was born in Leicester. William Lee died (aged 42) in Southsea on 23 October 1887 (Broncho Pneumonia), he was buried at Highland Road Cemetery on 26 October 1887. His wife Jane Sarah (née Quilter) died (aged 73) on 23 November 1920.
- 3. Reginald's siblings, as listed in the 1881 census were: Agnes B. (8), Herbert W. (5, born Whitchurch, Hampshire), Irene D. (4), Leonie R. (1), Marion E. (1m), all three born in Southsea, Hampshire.
- British Census 1871
- British Census 1881
- Agreement and Account of Crew (PRO London, BT100/259)
- Parish Records of St. Helen's, Benson
- Wreck Commissioners' Court, Proceedings before the Right Hon. Lord Mersey on a Formal Investigation Ordered by the Board of Trade into the Loss of the S.S. Titanic
- Death Certificates
- Highland Road Cemetery
- Andrew Williams, UK