Matching family tree profiles for Charles Edward Andrews
About Charles Edward Andrews
- Name: Mr Charles Edward Andrews
- Born: 1893
- Born in Liverpool Merseyside England
- Age: 19 years
- Last Residence: at 145 Millbrook Road, Shirley Southampton Hampshire England
- Occupation: Assistant Saloon Steward
- Victualling crew
- First Embarked: Southampton
- Rescued (boat 16)
- Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
- Died: Monday 2nd January 1961
Mr Charles Edward Andrews, 19, was born in Liverpool in early 1893 (1).
When he signed-on to the Titanic, on 4 April 1912, he gave his address as 145 Millbrook Rd., (Southampton). His last ship had been the Oceanic. As a steward he received monthly wages of £3 15s.
Andrews was rescued in lifeboat 16.
He later testified at the Senate Inquiry into the sinking.
Besides these six men, I should think there were about fifty passengers. There was no effort on the part of the steerage men to get into our boat. I was told by the officer to allow none in it. When the officer started to fill the boat with passengers and the men to man it, there were no individuals who tried to get in, or that he permitted to get in. There was no confusion whatever. The officer asked me if I could take an oar. I said I could.
Andrews signed-on to the Oceanic on 10 July 1912.
He was married in 1932 at Millbrook Church, Southampton to Ivy Winifred Powell of Eling, Totton, Hants.
He later served on the Aquitania as a Steward and later served on the Queen Mary as a Masseur and Swimming Pool Attendant until his retirement in 1959.
Andrews died on 2nd January 1961 and his ashes were scattered in South Stonehm Cemetery, Swaythling, Southampton in Section 6.
1. The birth was registered in West Derby (just outside of Liverpool) in the first quarter of 1893.
References and Sources
- Agreement and Account of Crew (PRO London, BT100/259)
- Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen, Agreements and Crew Lists Oceanic January – August 1912
- United States Senate, Washington 1912. n° 806, Crew List
- United States Senate (62nd Congress), Subcommittee Hearings of the Committee on Commerce, Titanic Disaster, Washington 1912
- Peter Engberg-Klarström, Sweden
- Inger Sheil, UK
- Kerri Sundberg, USA
- Brian Ticehurst, UK