Ellen "Nellie" Hambly (Hocking)
|Birthplace:||Penzance, Cornwall, England|
|Death:||Died in Schenectady|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Historical records matching Ellen "Nellie" Hambly
About Ellen "Nellie" Hambly
- Name: Miss Ellen "Nellie" Hocking
- Born: Thursday 5th November 1891
- Age: 20 years
- Marital Status: Single.
- Last Residence: in Penzance Cornwall England
- 2nd Class passenger
- First Embarked: Southampton on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 29105 , £23
- Destination: Akron Ohio United States
- Rescued (boat 4)
- Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
- Died: Monday 14th October 1963
Miss Ellen ("Nellie") Hocking was born in Penzance, Cornwall on 5 November 1891. The daughter of Mr William Rowe Hocking (Confectioner and Baker) and Mrs Eliza Hocking (née Needs). She was sister to William, Thomas, Sidney, Richard, Horace and Emily. She lived with her family at 39 Adelaide Street, Penzance Cornwall. After the death of her father in South Africa the family moved to 6 St Mary's Street, Penzance.
Nellie travelled second class on the Titanic with her mother, Mrs Eliza Hocking, her sister, Mrs Emily Richards, her brother Richard George Hocking and her two nephews, George and William Richards. Nellie was travelling to New York State where she was to marry Mr George C Hambly of Schenectady.
During the voyage she spent time with Nora Keane, Edwina Troutt and Susan Webber and remarked at one time to Nora Keane that as night had fallen the previous night she had heard a cock crowing (a sign in Cornish folklore of impending disaster). Nellie was told that she had imagined it but she was adamant.
She shared a cabin with her mother and survived the sinking in lifeboat 4. She went on to marry George C. Hambly who had come to meet her in New York off the Carpathia and lived the remainder of her life in Schenectady.
She died on 14 October, 1963.
- Akron Beacon Journal (Ohio), 19 April, 1912
- Contract Ticket List, White Star Line 1912 (National Archives, New York; NRAN-21-SDNYCIVCAS-55)
- List or Manifest of Alien Passengers for the United States Immigration Officer At Port Of Arrival (Date: 18th-19th June 1912, Ship: Carpathia) - National Archives, NWCTB 85 T715 Vol 4183
- Stephen Coombes, UK
- Chris Dohany, USA
- Phillip Gowan, USA
- Homer Thiel, USA
- Brian Ticehurst, UK
- Geoff Whitfield, UK
Travelling Companions (on same ticket)
- Mrs Elizabeth "Eliza" Hocking
- Travelling Companions
- Mrs Emily Richards