Walter John van Billiard
|Death:||Died in At Sea - Titanic Casualty|
|Cause of death:||Died in the sinking. Body recovered|
|Place of Burial:||USA|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Walter John van Billiard
About Walter John van Billiard
- Name: Master Walter John van Billiard
- Born: Saturday 28th February 1903
- Age: 9 years
- Last Residence: in London London England
- 3rd Class passenger
- First Embarked: Southampton on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 851 , £14 10s
- Destination: North Wales Pennsylvania United States
- Died in the sinking.
- Body recovered by: Mackay-Bennett (No. 1)
- Buried: Union Cemetery, Zion Lutheran Church Flourtown Pennsylvania United States
Master Walter John van Billiard was born in France, on 28 February 1903, the younger son of Austin Blyer van Billiard and Maude Murray.
Walter boarded the Titanic at Southampton as a third class passenger , together with his father and brother James
Walter lost his life in the sinking. His body, was identified by the Red Cross as the very first to be recovered by the MacKay Bennett (1).
NO. 1. - MALE. - ESTIMATED AGE. - 10-12. - HAIR. LIGHT.
CLOTHING - Overcoat, grey; one grey coat; one blue coat; grey woolen jersey; white shirt; grey knickers; black stockings; black boots
EFFECTS - Purse containing few Danish coins and ring; two handkerchiefs Marked "A".
PROBABLY THIRD CLASS
The body was returned to Halifax and, following communicationon 2 May, were forwarded two days later to North Wales, Pennsylvania. Walter van Billiard at his father were buried at Union Cemetery, Zion Lutheran Church, Flourtown, Pennsylvania.
1. Because of the effects recovered with the body there has to be some doubt over the authenticity of the identification.
- Record of Bodies and Effects: Passengers and Crew, S.S. Titanic (Public Archives of Nova Scotia) (#1)
- Judith Geller (1998) Titanic: Women and Children First. Haynes. ISBN 1 85260 594 4
- Brian Ticehurst (1996) Titanic's Memorials World wide: Where they are Located. ISBN 1 871733 05 7
- Judith Geller, USA
- Haynes Publishing, UK
Travelling Companions (on same ticket)
- Mr Austin Blyler van Billiard
- Master James William van Billiard