About Margaretha Emerentia "Gritli" Frölicher-Stehli
- Name: Mrs Margaretha Emerentia Frölicher-Stehli (née Stehli)
- Born: Monday 15th February 1864
- Age: 48 years
- Married to Maximilian Josef Frölicher-Stehli.
- Last Residence: in Zürich Switzerland
- 1st Class passenger
- First Embarked: Cherbourg on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 13567 , £79 4s
- Cabin No.: B41
- Rescued (boat 5)
- Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
- Died: Monday 21st March 1955
Mrs Maximilian Josef Frölicher-Stehli (Margaretha Emerentia Stehli), 48, was born on 15 February 1864, the daughter of Emil Stehli-Hirt, a silk manufacturer. On 5 September 1885 she married Maximilian Josef Frölicher. Between 1886 and 1894 five children were born to the couple. She and her husband lived at "Villa Riesmatt" 6 Mittelstrasse, Zürich, Switzerland.
In the beginning of 1912 Margaretha accompanied her husband and daughter Hedwig Margaritha to America. She boarded the Titanic at Cherbourg and occupied together with her husband cabin B-41 (ticket No. 13567, £79 4 s).
On April 10th she wrote a postcard on the tender Nomadic to her youngest son Willy: "Before leaving of the steamer cordial greetings. We sail on a small ship out to the sea and were taken aboard the big steamer after about half an hour. Recommendations to the reverend - in love your Mum." She posted it on the Nomadic.
During the night from 11th to 12th April her daughter got seasick, so she stayed at he side.
On April 14th she had already gone to bed but were not asleep when the collision appeared. Her husband got upset and she tried to keep him calm.
She and her family entered lifeboat 5 and after 3½ hours they were rescued by the Carpathia.
In New York she was awaited from her son Max and her brother Emil. She first resided at the Hotel Majestic (72nd Street West), then moved together with her daughter to her brother Emil. Her husband went to Canada for business. After coming back, all of them sailed back to Switzerland, shortly stopping in London, on the Kronprinz Wilhelm on 21 May.
After the death of her husband on 22 November 1913 she became the center of her family. Margartha ("Gritli") Frölicher-Stehli died on 21 March 1955, 91 years of age. She was buried at Enzenbühl cemetery, Zürich, at the side of her husband.
Some sources give the date of death as 15 February 1955.
Travelling Companions (on same ticket)
- Mr Maximilian Josef Frölicher-Stehli
References and Sources
- Günter Bäbler (1998) Reise auf der Titanic. Chronos, Zürich
- Contract Ticket List, White Star Line 1912 (National Archives, New York; NRAN-21-SDNYCIVCAS-55).
- List or Manifest of Alien Passengers for the United States Immigration Officer At Port of Arrival (Date: 18th-19th June 1912, Ship: Carpathia) - National Archives, NWCTB-85-T715-Vol. 4183
- Nicolas Frölicher, Switzerland
- Phillip Gowan, USA
- Hermann Söldner, Germany
Margaretha Emerentia "Gritli" Frölicher-Stehli的年谱
Enzenbühl cemetery, Zürich, at the side of her husband