Matching family tree profiles for Elizabeth Lindsey Lines
About Elizabeth Lindsey Lines
- Name: Mrs Elizabeth Lindsey Lines (née James)
- Born: Saturday 15th June 1861
- Age: 50 years
- Married to Ernest H. Lines.
- Last Residence: in Paris France
- 1st Class passenger
- First Embarked: Cherbourg on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 17592 , £39 8s
- Cabin No.: D28
- Rescued (boat 9)
- Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
- Died: Thursday 17th December 1942
- Cause of Death: Pneumonia
- Buried: Harmony Grove Cemetery Salem Massachusetts United States
Mrs Ernest H. Lines (Elizabeth Lindsey James), was born in 1861, in Burlington, New Jersey, the daughter of Benjamin L. James and Anne Langstrom.
Mrs Lines' husband, Dr Ernest H. Lines, was President of the New York Life Insurance Company. They had lived for many years in Paris, France.
In April 1912, Elizabeth and her daughter, Mary, were travelling to the United States to attend her son's graduation from Dartmouth College. They boarded the Titanic at Southampton as first class passengers and occupied cabin D-28.
On Saturday April 13th, the two ladies had just finished luncheon in the first clas dining room on D Deck, they had made a habit to stop for coffee in the adjoining reception room. After she had taken a seat, Captain Smith and Bruce Ismay came and sat at a table nearby, and began discussing the possiblility of having the last boilers lit. Mrs Lines recognised Mr Ismay from several years back when they had both lived in New York, and she confirmed his identity with her table steward.
During the sinking, an officer tied lifebelts on Mrs Lines and her daughter, saying: "We are sending you out as a matter of precaution. We hope you will be back for breakfast."
The two ladies were rescued in lifeboat 9.
Mrs Lines husband predeceased her. She passed away at her home in Essex County, Massachusetts, on December 17, 1942 at the age of 81.
Travelling Companions (on same ticket)
- Miss Mary Conover Lines
- References and Sources
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts Standard Certificate of Death
- Salem Evening News, December 19, 1942, Death Notice
- Phillip Gowan USA
Elizabeth Lindsey Lines's Timeline
June 15, 1861
July 27, 1895
December 17, 1942
Harmony Grove Cemetery Salem Massachusetts United States