About Philemon Van Melckebeke
Name: Mr Philemon van Melckebeke
- Age: 23 years
- Last Residence: in Haaltert Belgium
- Occupation: Farmer
- 3rd Class passenger
- First Embarked: Southampton on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 345777 , £9 10s
- Destination: Detroit Michigan United States
- Died in the sinking.
- Body Not Recovered
Mr Philemon Van Melkebeke, 23, was a farm hand in the village of Haaltert, Belgium. Across the field from the family farm, towards Heldergem, one could reach the bakery belonging to the family of Leo Van den Steen. Van Melkebeke joined his friend, Jean Scheerlinckx, and headed to the United States to join the 1912 sugar beet campaign.
He boarded the Titanic at Southampton as a third class passenger (ticket number 345777, £9 10s).
He died in the sinking. His body, if recovered, was never identified.
- Contract Ticket List, White Star Line 1912 (National Archives, New York; NRAN-21-SDNYCIVCAS-55)
- Herman De Wulf and Michael A. Findlay (1998) The Belgians and the Titanic. Voyage. #27
- Herman DeWulf, Belgium
- Michael A. Findlay, USA
- Georges Picavet, Belgium
- Kassandra Picavet, Belgium