About James Sutherland of Kinstearie
James Sutherland, 3rd son of Alexander Sutherland, 8th of Duffus, was born in 1561.
When about three years old, or earlier, he was placed 'in fostering' with Angus Sutherland 'Hectorsone,' to whom, for his benefit, his father made over 'fyve meris with ane stallone,' to which, apparently, his foster-father added 'four meris,' so that hte profit might accrue to his fosterson.
In 1590 he appears in the Privy Council Records as cautioner for his mother Janet Grant. He had the lands of Kinstearie in Morayshire, which were given to him in 1593 by his brother William, on his marriage with Violet, daughter of Thomas Fraser of Strichen.
He was his mother's only executor. He is named as a witness frequently until 1623.
He had a son John, whose son William married Margaret, daughter of William Innes of Kinnermonie, issue two sons, David and Hugh. David succeeded to Kinstearie, and his great-grandson James Sutherland of Kinstearie is, in 1766, described as his father's only son. It is not known if he left issue. Hugh, the second son, had a son John, who acquired by marriage with Christian, daughter and heiress of William Sutherland of Rearquhar, the lands of Rearquhar. By her he had two sons, John and James, and one daughter, Margaret, married to her kinsman James Sutherland of Evelix (see below). John had a son James, of Rearquhar, and a daughter Janet, married to John Clunes of Neilston, who had two daughters, Magdalene, married to her kinsman Hugh Sutherland of Evelix (see below), and Anne, married to Duncan Sutherland at Kinauld, and a son, Hugh Clunes, who with Captain John Sutherland of Invercharron was the only heir in 1819. Hugh Clunes also died without issue.
-  Origines Parochiales, ii. 726.
-  Cf. Decennial Indexes, 1810-19; Services of Heirs, 5, 67, and Supp., 9.