Matching family tree profiles for Joseph Cheney (1736-1832) of Anne Arundel ,Maryland / Frazeyburg, Muskingham, Ohio
About Joseph Cheney (1736-1832) of Anne Arundel ,Maryland / Frazeyburg, Muskingham, Ohio
HIs Parentage has been listed as questioned - my files list his parenage as unknown but he could be a son of Joseph Cheney (1686-1733) of Anne Arundel county Maryland The chart shows the first 4 generations of his family attached to profile - per it - from the descendant list given his wife & children are as follows:
1. Joseph Samuel Cheney b. 1736, Anne Arundel ,Maryland; d. 1832, Frazeyburg, Muskingham, Ohio
- └ +Margatet Chaney (Ketchum) b. 1738; m. 1758
- └ +Elizabeth Benson b. 1740; d. 1811, aet 65 Frazeyburg, Muskingham, Ohio; m. 1785
- 2. Margaret Ingmire (Chaney) b. 1766, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, United States; d. April 22, 1849, Fairfield County, Ohio, United States
- 2. Nancy Polly Chaney b. 1759, Anne Arundel co., Md; d. 1835
- 2. Elizabeth Danielson (Chaney) b. 1768, Anne Arundel co., Md; d. 1855
- 2. Ruth Faith Cheney b. 1769, Anne Arundel co., Md; d. January 1, 1855, 1 Jan. 1853 Washington twp., Coshocton co., Oh
- 2.Joseph Benson Chaney/Cheney b. October 11, 1777, Anne Arundel ,Maryland; d. February 11, 1857, Frazeysburg, Muskingum County, OH
- 2. Comfort Cheney b. 1769, Anne Arundel co., Md.; ; d. 1836, Ohio
- 2. Rachel Chaney b. 1780, Anne Arundel co., Md
- 2. Thomas Chaney b. 1780, probably Anne Arundell county Maryland; d. April 23, 1845, Jackson twp Muskingham county Ohio
- 2. Sophia Cheney b. Anne Arundel co., Md
- 2. Lucinda Cheney
- 2. dennis w. Cheney
A 3-4 account of his descendants is attached under discussion - with information/data/sourcing as found and proved by others of the years
3. Elizabeth2 Benson (Thomas1) was born Abt. 17512. She married Joseph Cheney. He was born 1736, and died 1832.
Children of Elizabeth Benson and Joseph Cheney are:
15 i. Joseph Benson3 Cheney. He married Elizabeth O'Connor.
16 ii. Thomas Cheney, born Abt. 1779.
17 iii. Rachel Cheney, born Abt. 1781.
18 iv. Comfort Cheney, born Abt. 1786.
19 v. Ruth Cheney, born Abt. 1787.
20 vi. Elizabeth Cheney, born Abt. 1789.
21 vii. Sophia Cheney, born Abt. 1791. She married George Hardesty; died 1848.
David Knowles, about 1813, settled ... About the same time, Joseph Cheney, from Maryland, settled upon the southeast quarter of section 22 Coshocton County Ohio - - Pike Township History of Coshocton County, Ohio: past and present, 1740-1881 Compiled by N.N. Hill, Jr Newark, Ohio: A.A. Graham & Co, Publishers, 1881 Note Pike twp is in the SW corner of Coshocton on the North boundary line of Muskingham county.
1. < Joseph Cheney-4044</B> was born 1736 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 1832 in Frazeyburg, Muskingham / Cosochton Co, Oh. and was buried in Old Chaney Homestead, Pike Twp., Coshocton Co., Oh.
Joseph married (MRIN:2023) < Elizabeth Benson-4046</B>, daughter of Thomas Benson-9738 (MRIN:2245), on 1758. Elizabeth was born 1737/1746 in <Anne Arundel, Maryland / England>. She died in Frazeysburg, Muskingham, Ohio and was buried in Old Chaney Homestead, Pike Twp., Coshocton Co., Oh.
They had the following children:
- 2 M i. Joseph Benson Chaney/Cheney-3652 was born 11 Oct 1777 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 11 Feb 1857 in , Muskingham, Ohio. Joseph married (MRIN:2021) Elizabeth O'Conner-3653 on 5 Feb 1803 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. Elizabeth was born 1782 in <, Anne Arundel, Maryland>.
- 3 M ii. Thomas Cheney-4048 was born 1780 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. Thomas married (MRIN:2247) Nancy Ann Fry-4058 on 31 Jul 1817 in , Coshocton or Muskingham, Ohio. Nancy was born Jan 1795 in <, Coshocton or Muskingham, Ohio>. She died Jun 18871.
- 4 F iii. Rachel Cheney-4049 was born 1780 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. Rachel married (MRIN:2248) Elijah Dannison-4059 on 8 Nov 1808 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. Elijah was born 1783 in <Anne Arundel, Maryland>.
- 5 F iv. Comfort Cheney-4050 was born 15 Jul 1786 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. She died 29 Oct 1836 in Jackson twp, Muskingum, Ohio. Comfort married (MRIN:2249) Levi Fairall-4060, son of William Fairall-14437 and Elizabeth Hyatt-12603 (MRIN:290), on 27 Nov 1810 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. Levi was born 1782 in <Anne Arundel, Maryland>. He died 1 Apr 1846 in Fairall Ridge, Muskingum, Ohio.
- 6 F v. ^ Ruth Faith Cheney-4051 was born 1769 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. She died 1 Jan 1855 in Washington Twp., Coshocton, Ohio and was buried Jan 1855 in Coshocton, Ohio, Chalfants Cem. Ruth married (MRIN:2172) ^ Edmund Hardesty-3895, son of * Robert Hardesty-3889 and *M Elizabeth Mrs Robert Hardesty-3890 (MRIN:2094), on 22 Dec 1792 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. Edmund was born 24 Sep 1766 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 6 Feb1864 and was buried in Washington Grove Cemetery, , Ogle, Illinois.
- 7 F vi. Elizabeth Cheney-4052 was born 1771 in Anne Arundel, Maryland.
- 8 F vii. ^ Sophia Cheney-4053 was born 1773 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. Sophia married (MRIN:2250) ^ George Hardesty-4061, son of ^ John Hardisty-3932 and ^ Elizabeth Boarman-10956 (MRIN:2192), on 1 Nov 1812 in , Coshocton, Ohio. George was born 1787 in <Anne Arundel, Maryland>.
- 9 F viii. Margaret Cheney-4054 was born 1775 in Anne Arundel, Maryland.
- 10 F ix. Nancy Cheney-4055 was born 1777 in Anne Arundel, Maryland.
He was a shoemaker as well as a farmer. He was a large man weighing over 200 lbs. and was noted for his strength.
Robert Edington made his coffin and Elijah Ashcraft and Samuel McGinnis dug his grave. He had a superstition about his coffin lid being fastened. It is said he said: "Be sure and take the screws out of my coffin lid before you bury me."
He was a minute man during the Revolution; was at the battle of Brandwine, Monmouth and other minor engagements and was present at the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown.. He brought with him to Ohio the French musket (which was furnished to the colonies by France to the U.S. during the revolution) which he carried during the war. He was not a member of any church but when inclined to the quaker belief and wore the dress of the quaker religion.
JOSEPH CHANEY born in Anne Arundel Co.MD. 1736.
His great-grandfather (no first name given, but I suspect John) came from England with Lord Baltimore in 1632. He said his father was Joseph Chaney a farmer of moderate conditions. In 1758 Joseph married Elizabeth Benson
They had two sons; Joseph and Thomas. They had 5 daughters;Comfort, Ruth, Elizabeth, Sophia,Margaret and Nancy. I do not know the order of birth of these children. I know Joseph married Elizabeth O'Conner in 1803 in Md.
Thomas married Ann Fry in 1817 in Coshocton Co. OHio. He died in 1845. His widow, moved to DeHalb Co. Ind.
Comfort Chaney married Levi Fairall in Md. they walked carrying their neccessaties on the horses, into Ohio. Ruth Chaney married EDmond/Edward Hardesty dec.25, 1792 in A.A.Co,Md.
Sophia Chaney married George Hardestynov.1, 1812 in Coshocton Co Ohio.
I'am not sure who the other two girls married but I think one of them married Samuel McGinnis. In 1810,
Joseph and Elizabeth moved to Ohio,settling first in Know Co. and then a year later moving farther south into uskingum Co. The same year Coshocton Co, was formed, splitting the farm into both Cosh. and Musk. Co's.
Young Joseph was on the Cosh. side and Old Joseph on the Musk.side. Their land was about 3 and1/2 miles north of Frazeysburg, ohio
Elizabeth died at the age of 65 while milking.
Joseph had been a minute man during the revolution and had fought at Brandywine, Monnouth and other smaller engagements. He was present at the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. He died in 1832 at the age of 96.
2 Cheney, Joseph m. 1758 Benson, Elizabeth d. aet 65 Frazeyburg, Muskingham, Oh. He d. 1832 Frazeyburg, Muskingham, Oh.
- 3 Cheney, Joseph b. 11 Oct. 1777 Anne Arundel co., Md.;
- 4 Cheney, Thomas b. 1780's Anne Arundel co., Md.; m. 31 Jul. 1817 Muskingham co., Oh. Fry, Ann
- 5 Cheney, Rachel b. Anne Arundel co., Md.; m. 8 Nov. 1808 Anne Arundel co., Md. Dennison, Elijah
- 6 Cheney, Comfort b. 1769 Anne Arundel co., Md.; m. 27 Nov. 1810 Anne Arundel co., Md. Fairall, Levi; d. 1836 Oh.
- 7 Cheney, Ruth b. 1769 Anne Arundel co., Md.; m. 23 Dec. 1792 Anne Arundel co., Md. Hardesty, Edmund; d. 1 Jan. 1853 Washington twp., Coshocton co., Oh. buried Chalfant Cemetery
- 8 Cheney, Elizabeth b. Anne Arundel co., Md.
- 9 Cheney, Sophia b. Anne Arundel co., Md.; m. 1 Nov. 1812 Coshocton co., Oh. Hardesty, George; res. Near Frazeysburg, Oh.
- 10 Cheney, Lucinda m. John W. Kirkpatrick.
- 11 Cheney, Margaret b. Anne Arundel co., Md.
- 12 Cheney, Nancy b. Anne Arundel co., Md.
- 13 Cheney, Dennis W. m. 17 Aug. 1818 Anne Arundel co., Md. Becket, Deliah
- Updated from MyHeritage Family Trees by SmartCopy: Sep 4 2015, 18:10:12 UTC
Joseph Cheney (1736-1832) of Anne Arundel ,Maryland / Frazeyburg, Muskingham, Ohio's Timeline
Anne Arundel ,Maryland
Anne Arundel co., Md
Anne Arundel County, Maryland, United States
Anne Arundel co., Md
Anne Arundel co., Md
Anne Arundel co., Md.;
October 11, 1777
Anne Arundel ,Maryland
Anne Arundel co., Md
probably Anne Arundell county Maryland