Frederick Chadwick Andrew

Is your surname Andrew?

Research the Andrew family

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Related Projects

About Frederick Chadwick Andrew


Famous Families of Utah

Famiy Records in possesion of Adelphia Triptow

Farmer's Ward Rec (GS 183, 393)

Diary of Elizabeth Whitaker Andrew

Endowment House under repairs delayed endowment of husband and wife though sealings were done with permission of Church Presidency. From EH records.

BURIAL: Name: Frederick Chadwick Andrew Birth Date: 14 June 1820 Birth Place: HAYWOOD LANCASHIRE ENGLAND Death Date: 2 March 1878 Death Place: SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH Burial Date: 2 March 1878 Cemetery: Salt Lake City Cemetery Source: Sexton Records Grave Location: E-12-1--


The only original material available for this record, is a diary written by him, recording his preparations for the long journey across and incidents transpiring on board the sailing vessel, until reaching St. Louis, where the narrative ended. Incidents in his life, subsequent to that time have been furnished by members of the family, together with some additional sources of information.

In the very infancy of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, in November, 1831, the Lord laid the burden upon the membership to send forth the Elders of my Church unto the nations that are afar off, unto the islands of the sea, "to proclaim the restoration of the Gospel and the setting up of the Kingdom of God. It was a vital and tremendous assignment, for at that time there could have been a very few available members holding the Priesthood. However subsequent events proved the prophetic nature of the revelation, and today the thousands of members of the Church who have come from foreign lands attest the divine nature of the call of men to the ministry, and the magnitude of the missionary work.

The labors of the Twelve Apostles, sent to England in 1840, and which were centered more particularly in the central regions, from Liverpool, Preston, etc on the west, across the island to the eastern shores, brought into the Church many thousands of sturdy, skilled artisans and yeomen, bringing with them into the Church their craftsmanship and skills, contributed greatly to the physical, material and spiritual building up of the cities, towns and villages throughout the inter-mountain regions. Leaving their well ordered lives and surroundings in England, with amazing aptitude they became the builders in the pioneer community, utilizing their abilities and surmounting the obstacles confronting them in the obstacles confronting them in the new environment.

It was to this great middle-class of industrial workers in England that Frederick Chadwick Andrew belonged, and among which he contributed his skill. Life in England one hundred years ago, among the laboring classes was hard at best. The navies and merchant ships of Great Britain visited the ports and harbors of every land and clime, bringing the raw materials from distant lands, to be transformed into the finished products of her factories. Men were inured to long hours of toil and struggle against hardships and, frequently, poverty, and while many of those coming into the Church were lacking in scholastic attainments, they had caught in their souls the vision of the future glory and grandeur of Zion and determined to bring to its progress and establishment the limit of their abilities.

This conviction was strong in the character of Frederick Chadwick Andrew. He was a skilled worker in the iron founders, his occupation and trade being that of a screw and bolt maker. This was a specialized vocation and required years of apprenticeship to qualify him to be proficient in the handling of molten metal and of doing precision work in meeting accurate standards of perfection. With this technical training, we may be sure he would readily adapt his knowledge to a multitude of uses in his new home. Arriving in the valley he commenced life by establishing a pioneer blacksmith shop, in which business enterprise he continued to the time of his death, By the forge and anvil he was busily occupied, shoeing horses and oxen, welding wagon tires and all the other activities of that vocation. He also used his talents in making many useful articles among which was the earliest production of nails in Salt Lake City, the molding of flat-irons, etc.

The Andrew Blacksmith Shop stood on the north side of fourth south between main and West Temple streets, and remained here during his lifetime and later, his son Williams assumed the active management of it, so that it may well be said that the village smith's was an early landmark in Salt Lake City, and being in a favorable location, no doubt, did a thriving business. His home was located on the same block. He had three wives and quite a number of children, and his descendants now number several hundreds.

These early pioneers knew that the problem of life was not to make life easier, but to make men stronger, so that no problem should be beyond their solution. The Andrew name comes down to us through a lineage untainted by luxury, unsaddled by charity, un-corroded by vice and un-brushed by obsession. From some research into the Parrish records of England, it appears that the Andrew family, for many generations, resided near Stockport, Lancashire, in the vicinity of Manchester.

Frederick Chadwick Andrew was born 14th of 1820, in Heywood, Lancashire, England, the son of Robert Andrew , who was born about 1796, and married Alick Chadwick.

Robert's father was Richard Andrew, born about 1772, whose wife was Mary Taylor.

Frederick married Elizabeth Whitaker July 17, 1842, in Middleton, England. She was born and of April, 1822. Her father was James Whitaker and her mother Sarah Ingram, living in Heywood Lane, Lancashire, England. From this union were born ten childless six of them in England, prior to coming to Utah, and four after their arrival.

Shortly after arriving in Salt Lake City, Frederick married in polygamy. Mary Ann Fisher, who came with his family from Stockport, was his second wife, being married 19 November, 1854 in Salt Lake City. Nine children were born into this family, whose names and dates of birth, etc, are recorded on the family group sheets in possession of the family. He was sealed to both wives in the endowment House, 18 September, 1857. Mary Ann died 3 February, 1895.

Frederick's third wife's name was Sarah Ann Humphreys, daughter of Isaac Humphreys and Sarah Goodwin and was born 5 December, 1847. Two children are listed as members of this family. He was sealed to Sarah Ann 15 August, 1863. She died 15 February, 1889 in Sublett, Cassia, Idaho.

From a personal diary written by himself, recording a few intimate incidents of his activity in the Church Branch, and a rather detailed account of his preparations for, and journey across the ocean to New Orleans, and thence to St. Louis, where he was to commence the long journey to the Valley, are made part of this narrative. His account recites only the incidents prior to leaving St. Louis for the west. Many pioneers have recorded their Journey across the plains, but few have left an account of the hazardous voyage by sailing vessel across the great deep, with its toys and sorrows; the high hopes of reaching their haven of safety, which were often turned to sorrow by the tragedy of a death among the company, and the sadness of lowering the body into the watery grave.

Diary And Notes of Frederick Chadwick Andrew, Taken From Personal Diary Written By Himself:

Sept. 7, 1853: Committee meeting held at the house of Frederick Andrew, present: William Day, Frederick Andrew, John Crossley, and Anthony Wright, appointed by council to manage the tea party to take place on the evening of the 17th of Sept. 1853.

1. Moved by Anthony Wright and seconded by John Crossley that Frederick andrew be the president of the committee.

2. Moved by William Day and seconded by John Crossley that the tickets for adults be eight pence each and for children, four pence each. Carried.

3. Moved by Frederick Andrew and seconded by John Crossley that we purchase fore pound currant loafs; 6 fore pound plane loafs and 1 1/2 dozen pounds of sweet biskits. Carried.

4. Moved by Anthony Wright and seconded by William Day that we purchase 1 1/2 pounds of tea; 10 pounds of butter and 12 pounds of sugar. Also 6 quarts of milk. Carried.

5. Moved by Frederick Andrew and seconded by William Day that we purchase the tea of Bro. John Corssley, the butter and sugar of Bro. Anthony Wright and the bread of Mr. Birket. Carried.

Delivered to Anthony Wright 30 tickets, to Frederick Andrew 30 tickets and to John Crossley, 22 tickets.

Waiters appointed to wait at the table at the tea party:

Jane Spencer, Rachel Wright, Christiana Williams, Ann Clegg, Sarah Crossley, Mary Bracegirdle, Sarah Marley, Sarah Williams and Mary Ann Fisher

Dear President,

According to the spirit of the times we feel desireous to gather with the Saints of God, I think I shall be able to raise 10 pounds a head (along with Sister Fisher) towards our emigration as is spoken of in the Star and I hereby send eight pounds per head as deposit according to request for the following five persons 40 pounds.

Frederick Andrew aged 33 years, Screw Bolt & nail Maker, born in England;

Elizabeth Andrew aged 31 years, Housekeeper, born in England; Samuel Andrew aged 19 months, born in England; Mary Ann Fisher aged 26 years, silk weaver, Born in England

President, being anxious for the prosperity of the Kingdom of God I should be glad to donate my money to the P.E. fund according to the Spirit of Star No. 48 but I have got friends and relations that I should like to be a means of speedily delivering from Gentile bondage if I could have the privilege of sending for them with that money and then to pay the expenses of their emigration after. It would still through the money into the fund and I should have accomplished my wishes.

Your in the Gospel of Jesus Christ,

Frederick Andrew

Please to answer this to F.A.

Address: Frederick Andrew

Screw Bolt Manufacturer No. 31

Wellington Road North, Stockport

P.S. I should like to sail in the vessel nearest the 20th of Feb. 1854. F.A.

Stockport Dec. Cathy 1853 Received from Mr. Frederick Andrew as a deposit for five persons.

1. Frederick Andrew

2. Elizabeth Andrew

3. John Andrew

4. Samual Andrew

5. Mary Ann Fisher

As part pay for their emigration the sum of forth pounds starling to Great Salt Lake Valley.

P. G. Sessions 40 pounds

A copy letter from Maria Shelmerdine

Great Salt Lake City, California. 29 Oct. 1853

Dear Father and Mother,

I write to inform you that I am now in the Great Salt Lake Valley.

We landed here on the 11th of Oct. We are all well in health.

Sarah and children too and I hope this will find you the same. I wrote to you in St. Louis and I should like to know if you received it. I sent in it all the particulars of the sea voyage. We landed at New Orleans in 8 weeks after we sailed from Liverpool.

We sailed from there on the 18th of Jan. We had a very rough passage a part of the way. The waves rose mountains high. It was a beautiful sight. The ship rocked till we could not walk or sit.

We was obligated to go to bed for safety. We was sea sick a few days. We got through first rate. We sailed up the Mississippi river in a fine steam boat and landed in St. Louis in nine days. Saw (?) Burgess and Brother (Pee1)? and stayed at his house one month.

He was kind to us and sends his kind love to Father & Mother. We received many invitations from the Stockport Saints which are there to go and enjoy ourselves with them. We visited Bro. Turnbul and Bro. Machin and Bro Whitingham. We then sailed in a steamer a day and night Journey to a place called Keokuk where we entered our tents and wagons and stayed there six weeks and lived there like Gipsy's and made our fires on the ground in the open air and cooked our food there. We continued it all the way to the Valley.

Our food was scant. We was avowed one pound of flour a day and a pound of bacon a week per head. We went away from Keokuk on the first of June with our wagon and oxen, twelve persons with their luggage to a wagon. None was allowed over one hundred weight of luggage. We had to sell all our books and our bed tick and flocks and best blankets and many things to lighten our luggage and we bought food for our Journey and a stove and sent the stove by a man and he sold it on the way unknown to us. Our flour was done three weeks before we landed and all other things had been done long before. We eat some buffaloes and some oxen and cows that died on the way. We have been glad of a piece of dry bread. The brethren came from the Valley with some flour for us or we should have perished on the way.

We traveled some days thirty and other days twenty and fifteen miles a day. Some days less. We went according to feed and water for the oxen. So we traveled with our wagon 14 hundred miles and walked nearly all the way under an American sun which is much hotter than it ever is in England. I left off my stays and we all put our light clothes on. We was much plagued with the mosquitoes. We were four nights together without sleep. They are much worse than bugs. I wore out two pairs of shoes. They are 3 and 4 dollars a pair here and the leather is very poor here.

I should like you to send me a pair. We had to cross a creek eleven times some times up to the middle in wetter and often over boot tops in mud. You have no idea of the roads here. A little before you reach the Valley there is two mountains. One is about 4 miles high and the other two males. It is very hard to get the wagons up and it is as hard to get down on the other side. It is so steep the wagons turn right over without great care. Tell Frederick Andrew to bring all his tools with him. They are as valuable as gold, in fact you cannot get them here and to buy three yoke of oxen and a wagon, a pair of good ones cost 70 dollars.

Eight of you could come comfortable without fear. A good cow or two to give milk on the way is very useful. I would say wait till you get these things if it is a few years.

Please to tell William Constantine that James is beginning the hatting business. There is none if the Valley. Brother Brigham Young has given him council to begin as there is 3000 now wanting hats and there is beautiful beaver here. He would be glad if you was here. If you can send two pounds worth of common kasuth trimmings he would pay you for them. Dear Father & Mother, I should be glad if you would send me a few things that I now need. They are so dear here I cannot get them here. Common plates are a half a dollar a plate. Please to send me half a dozen of plates and a half a dozen of cups and saucers and a pair of blankets and come yourself if you can. I should like to see you. I am living in the wagon all the houses are taken up and we have nothing to put in if we had one. We have not a pot of any sort. A11 I have is a few clothes.

We landed here destitute of every comfort of life. Hamkins and family are combing here this coaling season. You may send some things with them and Elizabeth Davies is combing too. Give my kind love to Bro. William and his wife and tell to take the same advice to himself that has been give to Bro. Andrew. When you come I hope you will come with some person that is stout hatted and will build you up by the way for you will need it. It is a long and tedious journey.

When you come to Liverpool buy some good potatoes and molasses and red herrings and flour and bring a few pickles and a pot of preserves and with what you will have allowed you, you will be first rate. If you can bring some currant bread and some sugar it will be very useful and keep your food to yourself and do not mess with anyone.

Bring your kettles and pans with you. They will be useful all the way. Bring your pots and a good supply of boots and bring a good crow nest or two with broad brims to keep the sun from burning your face and tell Maria to buy a good thick vale. She will find it very useful. I will now give you a item of the Salt Lake Valley.

Salt Lake Valley: it is a large plane and level with very broad streets and clear water running down both sides of the street and the City is surrounded with large mountains....

...I send my love to all the Saints in Stockport and inquiring friends,

Maria Shelmerdine

A copy of a letter sent by Frederick Andrew to President Samuel Richard, 15 Wilton Street, Liverpool, January 10th, 1854.

Dear Brother Richards,

Sir, you will find by referring to your books that me and my family should of emigrated last season by paying five pounds per head and the remainder going out of Brother Dunn's money but circumstances prevented us. I did not give it up but preserved and this season I am enabled to pay ten pounds per head and in order that we might not miss going this time I paid 40 pounds to Brother Sessons as a deposit before Christmas for five of us according to request. We are still determined to go but we see no necessity of punishing ourselves when it can be avoided. Nearly all the letters that has come from the Saints that went from Stockport last Spring advise the Saints not to go by the ten pound company as they are so much punished and short of provisions but to go on their own responsibility if possible. We can have assistance to enable us to go on our own bottom with the money that I have paid but we do not want to go against the authorities of the Church. You are the person that should know which would be the best way to go. I should not care so much for myself if I had not a wife and children to look to but we will stand by your council whether to go by our own means or by the ten pound company or by the emigration company.

Yours in the Gospel of Jesus Christ,

Fred Andrew

B I Enclosed a directed envelope. Please to answer this as soon as possible F.A. Direction to: Mr. William Chadwick

No. 73 Orange Street

Welmington Deleare (Delaware)


SOURCE: The Ancestors and Descendants of Frederick Chadwick Andrew. Pages 43-49


Utah Pioneers and Prominent Men

ANDREW, FREDERICK CHADWICK. Born June 14, 1820, Stockport, Lancashire, Eng. Came to Utah 1854. Married Elizabeth Whittaker July 17, 1842, Stockport, Eng., who was born April 3, 1822, and came to Utah, 1854, with husband. Their children: James W., d. aged 2; John W., m. Eveline Whittaker; Robert W., d. infant; Samuel W., m. Vilate Fulmer; Alice W., d. infant; Joseph F. W., m. Mariam Gibby; Richard S. W. (deceased), m. Elizabeth Croxall; Elizabeth W., died; Fredrick W., d. aged 6 years; Fred W., died. Family home, 7th ward, Salt Lake City. General blacksmith. Died March 2, 1878, Salt Lake City. ANDREW, JOHN W. (son of Frederick C. Andrew and Elizabeth Whittaker). Born Aug. 27, 1845, Heywood, Lancashire, Eng. Came to Utah with parents. Married Eveline Whittaker Nov. 8, 1869, Salt Lake City, Daniel H. Wells officiating (daughter of George Whittaker). She was born Jan. 23, 1851. Their children: John and Fredrick, d. infants; Amy Eveline b. July 8, 1873, m. Everet P. Yawell; Lizzie b. Nov. 26, 1875; Arzella b. Jan. 24, 1879; Alice b. July 18, 1881, m. Richard Williams; Robert E. b. Oct. 19, 1887. Family home, Salt Lake City. Seventy: high priest. Musician. Died May 14, 1912, Salt Lake City. ANDREW, SAMUEL WHITTAKER (son of Frederick Chadwick Andrew and Elizabeth Whittaker). Born May 18, 1852, Stockport, Eng. Came to Utah Oct., 1854. Married Mary Vilate Fullmer Nov. 8, 1875, Salt Lake City (daughter of David Fullmer and Rhoda Ann Marvin, of Northumberland county, Penn.—pioneers 1848). She was born April 26, 1853. Their children: Samuel Fullmer b. Sept. 7, 1876, m. Ida Luella Perry; David Fullmer b. Nov. 11, 1877; Fred Fullmer b. March 28, 1881, m. Mina Marie Therkill; Mary Vilate Fullmer b. May 8, 1883, m. Joseph J. Gardiner; June Fullmer b. April 9, 1885; Richard Marvin Fullmer b. April 14, 1887, died; Rhoda Ethel Fullmer b. Jan. 14, 1891, died; Walter Silas Fullmer b. Oct. 21, 1893; Alice Edna Fullmer b. July 3, 1895. Lived at Salt Lake City; moved to Mapleton 1891, and to Union county, Ore., 1901. High priest; high councilor. School trustee. Blacksmith and farmer.


Frederick Andrew wrote to Samuel Richards from Stockport, near Manchester, England, in early January that year. Having heard from Marie Shelmerdine and others, he asked Richards's advice about how his family should emigrate.

"We are still determined to go," he wrote,"but we see no necessity of punishing ourselves when it can be avoided. Nearly all the letters that has [sic] come from the Saints that went from Stockport last spring advise the Saints not to go by the ten pound company as they are so much punished and short of provisions." In her letter, Marie Shelmerdine had recommended that he wait, even if it meant several years, until he could afford to start the trek with eight to a wagon and three yoke of oxen, and then "you could come comfortable without fear." Samuel Richards must have written a persuasive response to Andrew, for Andrew ignored Shelmerdine's advice, donated altogether £50 to the PEF, and then emigrated under its auspices (the "donation and loan" plan).


Frederick Andrew to S. Richards, January 10, 1854, Frederick Chadwick Andrew, Diary, MS 1864,

LDS Archives; Shelmerdine to her parents, October 29, 1853. For Andrew's donation, see passenger list for

John M.Wood, sailed March 12, 1854,"Emigration Records from the Liverpool Office," LDS Archives.

Frederick Andrew to S. Richards, January 10, 1854, Frederick Chadwick Andrew, Diary, MS 1864,

LDS Archives; Shelmerdine to her parents, October 29, 1853. For Andrew's donation, see passenger list for

John M.Wood, sailed March 12, 1854,"Emigration Records from the Liverpool Office," LDS Archives.

Bound for Zion: The Ten- and Thirteen-Pound

Emigrating Companies, 1853–54 By Polly Aird

Utah Historical Quarterly

LL 2002 VOLUME 70 NUMBER 4. Page 321


Microfilm M41864.

Andrew, Frederick Chadwick, 1820-1878.

Diary 1853 Sep – 1854 May

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Historical Department Archives.

Date of Sailing: Mar. 12, 1854

Port Liverpool

Ship Name: John M. Wood

Leader of Company: Robert Campbell

Number of Souls: 393

Place of Landing: New Orleans

I found a reference to a paper used in a BYU class. This paper might have additional info on the ocean crossing.

Papers of Marie Madeleine Cardon Guild on the voyage of John M. Wood (1854).

Frederick Andrew's Journey to the Great Salt Lake Valley

Friday: Feb 24 1854.

I let Stockport on the half past ten o'clock train for Heywood. I stayed at Heywood all night and left next morning on the 40 minutes past 6 o'clock train for Liverpool. I arrived safe, and visited the ship that I had to sail in. John M. Wood and found it one of the finest vessel that I had seen. It is about 60 or 70 yards long and about 48 feet broad and 7 feet 8 inches between decks in the steerage. Engaged lodgings at No 1. Saltney Street opposite the Clarence & Stanley Docks along with Brothers John Mellison, James Wright, Samuel Charlton & Sisters Mary Bottray, Mary Wood & Mellison. John Mellison's daughter. We had comfortable beds and the liberty to cook for ourselves for which we paid 1 shilling per bed.

Sunday Feb 26. A very fine morning. I rose about seven o'clock, washed and dressed & had a walk to the vessel and then partook breakfast. After breakfast I went to see Bro. Moorhouse and his son and his bookkeeper and we went to cross the river to Birken Head and got our dinner and then I went up and saw Brother Fullmore. I had about two hours talk with him then I returned to my lodgings, took tea and went to bed after sitting and talking a little.

Monday Feb. 27th.

Rose from bed about 7 o'clock. I went and got my ticket of my luggage and then I went and met my wife and children at the rail station. I brought them down to Lloyds Beawforts & Mersey Hotel, Union Street and engaged lodgings for us. We got our breakfast and then went up to the office in Wilton Street. We say Bro. Sessions & Bro. Richards but did not get or contract ticket. We came to our lodgings & got dinner and then I went to Bro. Fullmore again. He told me he wanted to see Sister Fisher so I returned and took Sister Fisher together with my wife and children to Brother Fullmore N. 107 Finch Street. We had some conversation with Bro. Fullmore and then we went to see the vessel in Bromley Moor Dock. We went through the vessel and returned to our lodgings, got our tea and after tea we sang a little. I went with Bro. Anthony Wright to the post office ante Georges Pier head, returned & went to bed.

Tuesday, Feb 28. We stayed at Lloyd's last night. Beautiful weather.

Wednesday March 1.

Stayed last night at Lloyd's Hotel. Today we went down to the ship and took our luggage on board and slept in the ship and received our week's allowance of provisions. Sister Todd came to see us.

March 2nd. Stayed in the vessel to arrange things. After went to Birken head with Sister Todd & Fisher. This night about six o'clock Sister Todd went home.

March 3rd.

Still very fine weather and the ship in the dock, not got her cargo yet. Men working night and day loading her with railway slips and other things.

March 4th.

Still in the dock boxing in and preparing for our journey. This day I am appointed to watch a part of the ship from 12 o'clock to 4 o'clock Sunday morning.

March 5th Sunday Morning.

Weather fine but rather cold. This day the Saints are divided into 8 wards or districts and 8 presidents are pointed over them to see that order and cleanliness is observed and that the Saints meet together and have prayer night and morning. Also Brother Cambel is appointed president over the whole company with Brothers Woodward and McDonnell, his councilors.

March 6th Monday.

This morning I went on watch again at 12 o'clock until 4 & walk up the upper deck. Weather still fine and favorable but the vessel not loaded. Expecting to go out in the river tomorrow.

Tuesday 7th.

Fine weather & wind fair but the vessel cannot go out of dock on account of low water.


Ship removed yesterday but not out of dock and now waiting for high tide for her to go out in the river. This morning I was called up again to watch between decks from 12 o'clock until 4 o'clock. We are still all well with the exception of a slight cold which causes us to watery noses that is me & my wife & Sister Fisher.

Thursday March 9th.

Weather very fine & favorable but we are still in the dock. This day they have made up the hatch ways and cleaned down the decks ready for off. We have received our rations today and we are all in pretty good health. Tonight I have to go on the watch again at 8 o'clock until 12 o'clock.

10th & 11th.

We are still in the dock stowing in our cargo and all is well.

12th Sunday Morning.

The tide is pretty high and we are preparing for leaving the dock 18 minutes past 10 o'clock. The tide is up and the steamer is come to tug us out. We go with a good berth until the steamer has left us and about 4 o'clock the sun is very powerful and not a breath of wind to be felt. Scarcely it appears as if we got into another climate until towards night the wind began to rise and about 12 o'clock it began to blow very fresh so that they had to reef the sail and tack about.

13th Monday.

The wind continues to blow very hard against us so that it tossed the tins and boxes about and nearly all on board was sick and towards night it gets stronger so that had to take a pilot on board and tack about and go back again all night. My wife and son John has been very sick today. Also Sister Fisher and our Samuel has been sick but not so bad as the others. I have not felt anything of it yet.

14th Tuesday.

We are very near the to the Welsh mountains again this morning going towards Liverpool the wind has abated and the sea is calmer.

15th, 16th, & 17th Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday.

The wind is strong and against us so that we had to tack about many times in order to make a little progress and most of the passengers on board sick Friday night. We are close by Waterford in Ireland & going to leave the shores of Ireland. We have hailed a pilot boat & the pilot that we had on board has left us. My wife is still very poorly and the rest has got much better. I have not been able to keep a daily account on account of the rest being sick and me having so much to do.

18th Saturday.

The weather fine but squally. They have hoisted the stan sails out but the squally winds has broke one of the sail boons.

Sunday 19th.

The weather about as yesterday & we have had another stan sail boon broke today. The climate is still very cold.

Monday and Tuesday 20th and 21st.

We have now left the Irish channel & we are going on at a pretty good rate from 8 to 10 knots per hour. The weather is still very cold & we are afraid that our Samuel is beginning of chin cough [sic.] but we have had hands laid upon him by Brother MacMaster & Brother Dunn has administered oil unto him.

Wednesday 22nd. This is a beautiful morning. The wind is fair and the sun shines bright and it is a great deal warmer that it has been. They have hoisted the Stan sails and we are going at a good rate. The most of the passengers are on deck and we have singing and music playing of various descriptions so that all seems to be alive.

Thursday 23rd.

This morning is another beautiful morning & our Samuel is much better. The rest of our Family are all well this morning in fact I have not ailed anything since I came on board with the exception of last Tuesday I had the headache and it was my turn to look after the cooking for our Branch which make it worse on account of it being so warm in the cooking galley. This morning we have to record the death of a child belonging to Elder Todd, a Scotch [sic.] man. It is about 12 months old and it was ill before we came on board. All the rest seems to be doing well and the sun seems to animate all on deck with his warmth. The children are playing and skipping about the deck. Some at one thing and some at another. [sic.]

Friday March 24th.

This morning is a thick dull heavy morning and colder that it has been this last day or two. Afternoon it is raining. The wind is rather brisk but it is above the beam yet. We are going at a nice speed and steady

Saturday 25th.

This morning is calm and the water is smooth and we are making very little progress yet. The vessel rocks much. Afternoon, the wind rose a little towards 12 o'clock and we went very well after.

Sunday 26th.

This morning we have a good wind and the ship goes very steady and at a good rate. We have had a meeting today commencing at 11 o'clock when Brother McConnald preached.

Monday 27th.

We are in a calm again this morning and the weather is very damp with a little rain. Afternoon the sun begins to shine and the wind has got up a little which makes it very pleasant upon the deck. Yesterday we had another death of a child about 2 years & 9 months old. Its complaint was inflammation of the chest. It was well a week ago. It belongs to a man that has deserted the army.

Tuesday 28th.

We have had a good breath today but head winds which caused us to go much south. We have been very well today in our family and Sister Fisher has been helping to make tents.

Wednesday 29th. This day had been very wet and squally.

Thursday 30th.

We have had head winds today and we have made very little progress and the vessel has rocked very much which has caused many to be sick. My wife and son John has been sick.

Friday 31st.

It has been very favorable. My wife has been sick today again. We have had a little rain.

Saturday April 1st.

A beautiful morning this with a good wind. We have gone at a pretty good rate today. My wife is better today than she has been. Sister Fisher still continues well and is a very good help to us. Our son John is well today. Our Samuel seems to be rather dull and has been some time now. He was very well for a week or better at first. Last Monday morning my feet slipt [sic.] from under me and I lit against some pig iron that was lying on deck and bruised by foot a little before and below my ankle of the right foot inside it has been very sore ever since. Yesterday I could scarcely walk but today it is much better. I have a poultice on it now. Last night I took some cayenne and got a sweat nearly all night which I believe has done much good. It is now about half past three o'clock and a very fine day and a very strong wind but we are sailing in a southerly direction about 10 or 11 knots an hour.

Sunday 2nd. This had been a beautiful day. We have had a good wind all day & we have sailed first rate from 8 to 12 knots per hour. We have had another death for a child today belonging to _________ . It is awfully grand tonight to watch the sun go down in the West and cast its golden rays between the clouds and to see the mighty waters all in motion and sometimes rise up like a mountain and cast up its spray so that it falls again like showers of rain. Also the clouds hang in the air with various shades and the moon about 2 or 3 days old above our heads shines bright and the stars all round us glitter like silvery dots in the firmament so the scenery altogether is beautiful.

Monday 3rd. This day had been similar to yesterday as fine a day as I have seen. About half past eleven this forenoon Sister Day, the wife of George Day, died. She had been ill a long time with consumption and about half past 6 o'clock this evening she was let down into the water. We lay in about 28 degrees and 29 minutes latitude north and about 45 degrees 45 minutes longitude west. There was a hymn sung by the brethren and sisters and prayer by Brother McMaster before she was buried. This day is my Wife's birthday and we commemorated it with a good plum pudding yesterday. The reason we had it yesterday is we had only flour for one pudding and it is the most convenient for cooking it Sunday on account of the cooking galley being shut up during service and puddings boil during the time

Tuesday 4th.

A very fine day and good winds and we have gone at a good speed.

Wednesday 5th.

This day we are rather becalmed and we have gone very little.

Thursday 6th.

This morning we was [sic.] at a stand not a breath to move the water and it was as smooth as glass. We have gone very little today if any. This day is the anniversary of our church and they have appointed a general fast day to be made of it and to be observed as Sunday any other way, but the people was not very united about it. We had a very good meeting and we was addressed my nearly all the presidents.

Friday 7th.

A very fine day and going better than yesterday from 4 to 6 miles per hour.

Saturday 8th.

Another fine day and doing middling in sailing. We have another child died tonight about 8 o'clock belonging to David Butler, a Scotch man. It is my turn to go on watch tonight at 9 o'clock until 1 o'clock morning. During my watch it came on a shower of rain and rained all the time I was on. I catched [sic.] a bucket full of water for myself and for Bro. Burgess and bro. Wm. Day each. I also catched my water can full of water full but I had the misfortune to slip and let it fall and nearly knock the bottom out of the can.

Sunday 9th.

This morning is a very fine morning and they have buried the child that died last night. My foot is not well yet but it is much better. Last week I began to dress it with a rag, put in cold water and put on the wound and rapt up with a dry one and it has mended fast since.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday 10th, 11th, 12th.

The weather has been very fine and the wind favorable until Wednesday afternoon. The wind dropt and we had a calm which continued. The climate we are in is very warm. In the evening it is very beautiful and comfortable upon the deck but is very warm below. We are all well at present thank God for it.

Thursday 13th.

The calm continues and the sun is very powerful which makes it very warm but we had had some nice showers every day this week which is very refreshing. We had a little bustle about half past twelve today. The awful cry of fire saluted our ears and soon after buckets of water was tumbled upon the cooking galley and the pump was soon in motion so that it was soon extinguished. It was the top of the cooking house that took fiver with the stove pipe being so hot and the timber so dry. We was just having our dinner upon the deck a\t the time. Afternoon the wind came up and we went along very nicely.

Friday 14th.

This is a Good Friday and a fine day but we have not observed it as we do in England. I have begun to make a pair of trousers today out of some linen that I bought to make some bags of. This day we have pretty well in sailing.

Saturday 15th.

Nothing very particular today only we have seen 3 or 4 ships. We are going well.

Sunday 16th.

This morning we had a race with another vessel until we came up by the side of it and saw the name of her. It was the American Union. We past her. [sic.] She tacked and sailed behind us and we went more to the north as the wind was more favorable that way. This day is Easter Sunday and we have kept it up by having a good plum pudding for dinner. I put a half pound of block tin at the bottom of the pan to prevent the rag sticking at the bottom. We lit it boil during the service and when I went to look at it the water was boiled all away and the block tin was run and the pudding was boiling in the block tin but it had not been long so that there was not much spoiled. This afternoon about 5 or 6 o'clock there came on a squall and a brisk shower of rain.

Monday 17th.

It has been rather cooler today. There came up a squall today and damaged one of the masts a little and we have head winds and we have made very little progress.

Tuesday 18th.

This is a fine morning but the wind is still against us and we are not sailing so fast. We have had some mirth this morning with the women keeping up the old custom of lifting. They have been lifting the men. I suppose the men must of forgot it or else they were more modest than the women for they did not honor them by throwing them up yesterday.

Wednesday 19th.

This has been a very nice day and we have sailed very well and we came in sight of the Abaco light house between 8 & 8 o'clock this evening. Sister Porter from London conference was delivered of twins this morning about 3 o'clock. A boy and a girl and they are all doing well so far.

Thursday 20th.

This is a beautiful morning and we are sailing very steady in the Providence Strait. We have past the Berry Islands this morning on our left have now about 6 or 7 vessels in sight. It is now about 10 o'clock morning and we are all very well, thank God for that. About 7 or 8 o'clock in the evening we past the little Gaac rocks on our left.

The Berry Islands are a stirrup shaped chain of thirty large cays and numerous small ones. They are located to the south of Great Abaco and about thirty-five miles northeast of Nassau between latitudes 25 50' and 25 22'.

Friday 21st.

Early this morning we passed the Bahaman Island on our left and entered the Florida Gulf and stream. The route being strange to our captain and mates. [sic.] I understand we was [sic.] near running shore. They dryed [sic.] the depth of the water and found we had only 8 ½ yards deep. This is another beautiful morning and we are going first rate down the Gulf. Yesterday we saw 2 or 3 dolphins swimming by the side of the vessel. They were beautiful fish. They appeared to be of a green and blue color and about 2 feet long. This morning John wanted a bucket to wash his feet and legs. I let him have it but he was not long before he came crying. The third mate had broke [sic.] the bucket and kicking up and down the deck. I went and had a few angry words with him but to no good. It only made me more uneasy for they will not hearken to anything you have got to say so the best way is to keep out of their way as much as possible. Yesterday the same man threw a night tin over board because it was lying on the deck.

Saturday morning 22nd.

We are now sailing up the Gulf of Mexico and we are going first rate. The vessel sails as steady as if we were standing still and has done a day or two. Yesterday our Samuel began to walk himself for the first time on the vessel. He has always been afraid on account of the vessel rocking. Evening—I was misinformed. This morning was not the Gulf of Mexico. We was [sic.] in the streams of Florida. This evening we passed the small islands and rocks which lie at the south and east of Florida and entered the Gulf of Mexico. Between 7 & 8 o'clock we came in sight of two light houses and it was said that one of them was at the last of the islands. The 4th and 5th branches has got [sic.] up a tea party today and I learn from Brothers Wright, Charlton, and Moors that they have had a first rate do of it. One of the best they ever attended. They had pies and putting bakes and tarts of various sorts, boiled and roasted pork, tea and butter cakes, ham and other varieties and after the feat they enjoyed themselves with songs reciting and etc. One piece that was performed was "Joseph Smith and The Devil". We have also had several tea parties on board before. This one was the celebration of the birth of the 2 twins in which the captain and mates and others were invited.

Sunday 23rd.

We are now sailing up the Gulf of Mexico and doing very well. It has been a beautiful day. We have had some good council pertaining to going into New Orleans and how we should conduct ourselves when we go on shore for our own safety.

Monday 24th.

This has been a very fine day. We have had our conference today for hear a representation of the various branches and to bring before the people, the organization of the Church with all its officers and also the presidents as they are on board this vessel and to give such instruction as was needed. This afternoon we have been rather becalmed so that we have gone very little if any but towards night the wind came up a little and we began sailing again. We are expecting to land in the course of two or three days and many of the brethren and sisters are writing to their parents and friends so that they may post them when they land in New Orleans.

Tuesday 25th.

The winds [sic.] has been very slack today so that we have made very little progress. We have been in a calm one part of the day but the wind rose a little towards the night and we began to sail very well. There was some birds came flying about our rigging this afternoon and one of them was shot by the third mate. Brother Dunn fired at one as it was flying over but he missed it. After that the first mate came cursing ands swearing about them shooting and said that he would break the first gun that was fired again. He was afraid they would fire though the sails.

Wednesday 26th.

Today has been a very nice day and we have sailed very well. About 6 o'clock we came across a great many large fish what they call Porpoise. They came but droves jumping out and in the water. It was my turn to go on watch tonight at 9 o'clock so I was on deck until one o'clock. The ship was going at a good speed about 10 or 11 knots an hour until bout 12 o'clock. One of the men that was on watch cried out a light on the lee beam side. The captain came out to see it and called up the 1st mate and ordered the sails drawn up immediately so they slackened the speed of the vessel soon.

Thursday 27th.

This morning when I came on deck we was [sic.] in a calm but we soon had the pleasing sight of fresh water that came down the Mississippi River. Between 9 and 10 o'clock there came a steam boat up to us but it was either too small to tug us up the river of else the captain and them couldn't agree about a price for it left us again after throwing some newspapers on board for us for which we learned that the Whendermere that sailed between 2 and 3 weeks before us only landed last Sunday and that she had 12 deaths on board during the voyage and between 30-40 cases of smallpox. After the steamer left us we hoisted a colour upon the mast top and it was not long before we had a pilot bote [sic] along side of us so that the captain engaged a pilot. We have seen a good many signs and marks of land and one was a vessel that appeared to have been wrecked. We could just see the top of the vessel and its 3 masts standing straight up. Tonight a little before 8 o'clock we had another death on board, of an old woman that came form near Bolton Lancashire. She was badly off before she set off and has been poorly all the way…"

NOTE: Text enclosed in brackets is a summary of extracted information form the journal.

Friday 28th.

[Anchored near Belize, which is where the river pilots live.

Saturday 24th. Still waiting.

Sunday 30th Still waiting.

Monday. Between 7 and 8 o'clock in morning a steamer which was already towing a vessel from Liverpool called the John Garrow pulled our vessel also.]


"As we sailed along, fresh scenery presented itself to our view. Green bushey [sic.] trees with white and yellow blooms soon presented themselves to our view. Also plantations of sugar green meadows, orange trees and other kinds of great variety. Our Samuel seemed to enjoy the sight as much as anyone for he shouted and clapped his hands and pointed his finger to show us at them and enjoyed the sight very much. Now and again we passed a house or two by the side of the river. Some with a cow or two and a garden and others with boats and we also passed 2 forts which were builded [sic.] to prevent any enemy from going up the river and they were very grand I believe but I did not see them. We was below having tea at the time we passed.

Tuesday May 2nd. This has been a very fine day and warm. The scenery up the river is beautiful. We arrived in the harbor of New Orleans about 2 o'clock this afternoon. I finished writing a letter to may parents at Heywood and I went on shore about 5 o'clock along with my wife for to by some grocery. We returned to the vessel between 8 and 9 o'clock and stayed all night.

Wednesday 3rd.

The weather still very fine. I went on shore again between 6 and 7 o'clock this morning to buy some newspapers and to post them along with 2 letters. I posted 2 newspapers for Wm. Day to his friends and one I sent to my Brother Joseph at Stockport and I posted a letter to my parents at Heywood and another for Sister Fisher to her parents. On my way I just passed through the market and then returned back to the vessel about 8 o'clock. At my arrival all was hurry and bustle with the passengers hauling out their boxes and getting them ready for inspections so I got my breakfast and then got mine out. We was very busy all day opening our boxes for inspection and then packing them up again and getting them into the steamer to go to St. Louis until about 5 o'clock when the plank was drawn down and we started on our way to St. Louis. There was 4 left on shore, 3 young women and 1 boy that should have gone with us and the 3rd mate of John M. Wood was on board the steamer when she set off se he jumped over board and swam to one of the vessels that lay in the harbour [sic].

[Thursday May 4th.

Beautiful scenery. Steamer stops 3 or 4 times each day to take on wood. Burns 40 cords a day.

Friday-Monday mentions weather.

Tuesday morning 9th.

Approaching Memphis. Reports death of 2 children that were buried on the river bank. Both died of Cholera. Steamer gets stuck in the mud.

Wednesday at 11 o'clock the steamer is unstuck. Goes ashore in Memphis to buy molasses and cheese. Mentions another death of a boy.]

Wednesday 10th.

"We are all well at present except our John. He is still a little lose in this bowels. We have made him some ea or raspberry leaves and composition powder and I think he is mending"

[Thursday 11.

2 more deaths and everyone sick. Friday. Many feeling better and we arrive at Cairo.

Sunday 14-Monday 15th.

Steamer is stopped for quarantine and all the passengers and luggage are relocated to an old boat for inspection. Another death is mentioned.

Tuesday 16th.

Bro. Savage's boy dies]

"Tuesday 16th. Yesterday morning Mary Ann Fisher felt herself rather poorly but she said nothing about it until nearly dinner time. She began to feel worse she had a bad cold. She felt chilly and cold and her limbs ached all over. She went to bed and my wife covered her up well with clothes and we made her some tea of raspberry leaves and penny royal and gave her some composition powder and cayenne pepper and got her to a good seat and she soon felt bett3r and today she is quite well only a little weak.

[May 17th Wednesday

3 more deaths: Sister Taylor, Brother Smith and a man.]

"Thurday 18th.

There is a great change in the weather since yesterday. It is very hot today and we are preparing to leave quarantine. My wife is rather poorly today of her bowels and they seem to be very sore. Between 4 & 5 o'clock the tug came for us so we got all or luggage upon it and then we sailed up to St. Louis and went on board the steam boat Samcloon the same night. It was only the emigration fund passengers that came up tonight. The ordinary passengers will come up by themselves in another boat. We left Brother Calton the book in the quarantine hospital.

[End of journal entries.]

  • Residence: Heywood, Lancashire, England
  • Residence: Bury, Lancashire, England
  • Residence: Bury, Lancashire, England - 1841
view all 29

Frederick Chadwick Andrew's Timeline

June 14, 1820
Heywood, Lancashire, England
May 13, 1843
Age 22
August 27, 1845
Age 25
Heywood, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
April 13, 1848
Age 27
April 21, 1850
Age 29
February 5, 1851
Age 30
Aberystruth, Monmouthshire, Wales, United Kingdom
May 18, 1852
Age 31
Bamber Bridge, Lancashire, United Kingdom
May 18, 1852
Age 31
October 14, 1852
Age 32
Tredegar, Monmouthshire, Wales, United Kingdom