John Kirkwood Reid
|Death:||Died in Orangeville, UT, United States|
|Place of Burial:||Orangeville City Cemetery (Plot: 10-4-1), Orangeville, Emery County, Utah USA|
Son of John Patrick Reid and Margaret Or Margaretta Reid
|Managed by:||Private User|
Historical records matching John Kirkwood Reid
About John Kirkwood Reid
Biographical Story of John Kirkwood Reid
The Old Country
Compiled by Dortha R. Brough
John Kirkwood Reid was born to John Patrick Reid and Margaret Reid under humble circumstances in Edinburgh, Scotland, December 22, 1850. He was the third child in a family of eleven children which consisted of six boys; Edward K., William K., John, Thomas, Alexander K., Robert, and five girls; Elizabeth, Margaret, Lucy, Sarah, and Agnes.
John's father, John Patrick, was born in Drumbo, Ireland. He learned to be a gardener at a very early age. John K. attended the public schools of Edinburgh and was required to pay a penny each week for tuition. If he did not take h-is penny every Monday morning, he was turned away from school.
Because the family was large, John was required to work in a store as an errand boy while a small lad. For his labors he received thirty cents a week and board. Later when he was about eleven years old he worked with his uncle and learned French polishing. At one time his father gave him a set of chairs to polish. He said John could have the money he made. The chairs were done very well. He delivered them and when his mother asked him how much money they gave him for the job he replied, "I didn't charge them anything or they would not have given me another job."
When John K. was eight years old he moved with his family back to Belfast, Ireland. The exact reason for the move is not known. It could be any of the following reasons: His sister, Margaret, felt that perhaps the reason for their constant traveling between the two countries was because her father had so many relatives in Edinburgh. The families were constantly moving back and forth. She remembers there were a lot of cousins and uncles there. However, at this time both Scotland and Ireland were suppressed economically, socially, and politically by the British and had been for decades. This may have been the cause, however, they were not landowners; but gardeners and tailors. Religion could very well have been one of the causes. Both countries were largely Catholic with little respect for Protestants. Most of the early members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints came from the Protestant population, primarily in the north around Belfast, the capitol of Ireland. Here Protestant Churches were strong.
John K.'s parents joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1847. John Patrick had an Uncle William who came to Scotland on a mission for the church from America. It is not known if he joined the church in America or in the old country. His brother., Edward, was the first to j oin the Church, then William T. , and John Patrick. His sister Margaret, says she can still see her Grandmother, Francis Ann White, walking up and down the room cursing Uncle William for leading the boys astray.
John K.'s parents joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1847. John Patrick had an Uncle William who came to Scotland on a mission for the church from America. It is not known if he joined the church in America or in the old coun- try. His brother., Edward, was the first to j oin the Church, then William T. , and John Patrick. His sister Margaret, says she can still see her Grandmother, Francis Ann White, walking up and down the room cursing Uncle William for leading the boys astray.
Migration to America and Utah
Compiled by Dortha R. Brough
In 1862 when still a lad of eleven years John K. left his family and came to the state of Utah with an Uncle William Taylor Reid. They left England on May 9th on the good sailing ship "Manchester" and tossed on the Atlantic Ocean seven weeks before reaching Ellis Island, then known as Castle Garden, New York. The rats were thick on board the ship and they would eat out the toes of John's socks while he was asleep at night.
One of the crew was a friend of the Mormon passengers. The first mate was not. At one time the mate was talking against the Mormons and calling them names. The sailor immediately defended them. This resulted in a fight. Although the sailor did not begin the trouble he was punished by being tied to the mast by his thumbs for half a day and put in confinement for several days. When they finally arrived in America he ran away and came to Utah with the Mormons.
The party traveled by railroad from New York to Buffalo and across the Niagara Falls into Canada and onto St. Joseph, Missouri. The Civil War was at its height. Missouri was the hot bed for Rebels. Soldiers were out drilling and as the party traveled along, both sides could be seen in their camps getting prepared to fight.
The William Reid party took a boat at St. Joseph and traveled up the Missouri River to where Omaha now is located, and came to Florence then known as Winter Quarters. A great many Saints, many from Denmark and Norway, were gathered from all parts of the world, waiting for teams to come from the valley of Utah. The scourge was in camp and from five to six people were dying daily.
william Reid's party left Florence in the late John R. Murdock's train of sixty wagons. The journey across the plains was a hard one. John helped to drive the ox teams all the way.
The Indians were on the war path that year. Guards had to be out on duty night and day to keep the immigrants from being molested. Several stampedes were attempted but headed off by the Captain and the teamsters. A large number of Scandinavian Saints died on the plains.
They arrived in Salt Lake City September 27, 1862. They stayed there for a short time, then journeyed to Provo. William Reid's family remained here while John K. Reid went on to Payson to make his home with another uncle, Edward Reid. Edward was a tailor in the old country and John had worked for him six months in Belfast, Ireland before the uncle left for America at an earlier date.
John lived with the Edward Reid family for three years,working on the farm in the summer and tailoring in the winter. In the spring of 1865 he went to work for c. F. Dixon for wages.
At this time the Indians were on the war path. Black-hawk was tealing stock and killing settlers allover the country, so a call was made for men and boys to join the Militia to fight the Indians. John, then fifteen years old, with John W. Jackson and Uncle Edward Reid, joined one of the companies.
In the spring of 1866, John K. hired out to James Manvil and Samuel McLleland to drive an ox team to Montana with a load of flour to sell to the gold miners. Flour was selling for $1.00 a pound at Virginia City, Montana. It was a very hard trip and stormed all of the way. He traveled five hundred miles in snow and rain. The Indians were treacherous. The cattle and mules had to be guarded every night. He returned with one span of mules and a load intended for three span. The following year was spent in a similar way working on farms and standing guard against the Indians.
In the summer of 1868 John K. went to work in Weber Canyon on the first railroad in Utah, the Union Pacific. He continued this work until December 30, 1868. While living in Payson, Utah, he met Elizabeth Jackson who was the daughter of Thomas Jackson and Alice Crompton. They were natives of Manchester, England, who had come to Utah in 1856 in Captain Groesbeck's company.
On January 5, 1869, Elizabeth and John were married by Bishop John F. Fairbanks of the Payson ward. They were both eighteen years old. From this union fifteen children were born.
They had seven sons: John Thomas, Edward Jackson, William Jackson, Robert Jackson, Joseph Royal, Alex Terrance, Clairmont Jackson, and eight daughters: Margaret, Alice Maria, Elizabeth Cynthia, Minnie, Milly May, Eliza Jane, Lucy, and Rhea. Although the parents had rich brown hair, six of the children, two boys and four girls, had red hair ranging from titian to dark auburn. The rest took after their parents.
All of the children grew to be adults except Elizabeth, who died in infancy. Lucy, a beautiful, auburn haired girl died when she was sixteen years old of appendicitis.
Royal drowned when he was eighteen years old. It hap- pened on his first trip away from home. His father had given his consent for him to take a job on a road construction gang, who was building roads close to the Green River in Utah. The crew camped on the bans of the river. Royal was an excellent swimmer and enjoyed swimming across the river. The crew delighted in watching him. One night after supper they wanted him to swim to show some guests how well he could swim. He did not want to do it. He didn't think it was wise to swim so soon after eating and he didn't feel well and up to it. They kept urging so he finally consent to do it. Half way across the river he went down. His body was never recovered.
When John and Elizabeth were a newly married couple they made their first home in Payson. John began working on the Pond Town Canal, which was being made to take water out of Spanish Fork River to cover a large tract of land between Payson and Pond Town. They lived in Payson until the spring of 1875, then they moved to Manti, Sanpete County, Utah. He worked as a carpenter. The family resided in these two communities a total of sixteen years.
In the fall of 1878 John, with a number of others, was called to settle Castle Valley. This was the last settlement area authorized by Brigham Young, given at the General Conference of the Church in June 1877, just two months before Brigham Young's death. John, however, was the only one from Manti who responded at that time. Several preferred to go to Arizona, but later they returned to make their homes in Castle Valley. In east central Utah on the slopes of the Wasatch Range, lies Castle Valley. It received its name from innumerable castle-like formations on the mountain peaks and rimrocks surrounding this colorful region.
John K. Reid journeyed to Castle Valley to do a bit of scouting before taking his family there. He was forced to make his own road over the Manti Range. The first sight of the valley was not an encouraging one. It appeared to be a desolate place of sagebrush and sand, infested with Indians. The soil was powdered and most of the vegetation destroyed by sheep, who had grazed for years in the valley. However, there was plenty of water, so he decided to give it a chance and remained long enough to build a dugout.
At this time his family, consisting of six children; Margaret, John, Alice, Edward, Elizabeth, and Minnie did not enter the valley until the following May. They left Manti on a wagon loaded with practically all of their belongings. The wagon was pulled by two yoke of oxen. One of the oxen was blind. Following behind the wagon was their white faced cow upon which they were dependent for milk to help sustain the children. They came by way of Salina Canyon. The journey took eleven days, including a stop-over for three days at Glenwood, Sevier County, then the home of many of Elizabeth's relatives. Uncle Joe Jackson, Elizabeth's brother, not wishing to see them make the journey alone, accompanied them. The eleventh and final day found them winding through places of least resistance along the side of Cottonwood Creek, where John had prepared a dugout the fall before. At first the dugout was hard to find. They arrived in a terrific wind storm, which made it difficult to see. Also cattle had tramped over it during the winter, which added to their inability to locate it.
The family's first view of the valley wasn't a pleasant one. After a difficult journey through snow drifts, mud, and rocks they had hoped to find a home more inviting. They regretted the move and longed for their Manti home.
There were no trees, except along the river bed on the north, no vegetation except 5had5Calee Not even a doorway had yet been made by which to enter the hole-in-the-ground. John had left a few humble hou5ehold article5 the fall before, which were cached in5ide. Later he returned to Manti to get more 5upplie5 and bring the remainder of the hou5ehold article5. The family had to be left alone. The clo5e5t neighbor5 were a mile or two away.
Erastus Curtis, with two sons had entered in the fall of 1877 and located on the upper Cottonwood Creek, about a mile and a half northwest from where John K. located. Later the family of Andrew Anderson moved within a short distance of the Reid Home- stead. Later other families settled on Cottonwood Creek.
The following summer John K., seven-year-old son, John built a log cabin.
The first settlers in the valley were able to get mail but once a month in the summer and not at all in the winter. It was brought by horseback from Sanpete by way of Salina Canyon. During the year of 1878 an overland mail route known as the Star Mail Route was established between Salina and Ouray, Colorado, the mail going on the Gunnison and Spanish trails to Wilsonville and Orangeville. The mail route from Colorado covered a distance of 250 miles.
Sylvester Wilson was the first mail carrier. The office was located in his farm house in Wilsonville, which was named after Sylvester and his brothers.
A committee consisting of John K. Reid, Orange Seely, Jasper Robertson, David Latimer, and James Peterson formulated a petition and sent it to Washington, D.C., asking for the creation of a Post Office. On June 1, 1879, John K. Reid received a commission as Postmaster. The name had been changed to Castle Dale. This position he held for eleven years.
Wilsonville was located five miles east of Castle Dale and the new Post Office was located three miles west of Castle Dale in John K.'s dugout in Orangeville, which at that time was called "Upper Castle Dale". It was later given the name of Orangeville named after Orange Seely.
As Postmaster, he had to go to Wilsonville for some time to open the mail pack. Many times he walked eight miles with the mail pack on his back. At times the roads were rough, muddy and unpassable for horse or wagon travel.
One winter John spent in Manti. In the spring he brought with him the Castle Valley mail which had accumulated in Salina during the winter. There were two bushel sacks of letters, but no papers.
In May 1879 John opened the first store in Orangeville. Charles R. Curtis wrote a poem about the pioneers of Orangeville. In it he says:
"We hadn't any stores nor mills nor things like that you KNOW,
So o'er the mountains bleak and cold for provisions we would go.
without the best of clothes or beds and no food for our stock
Our horses loaded down with packs, the men they had to walk.
'Twas a hundred miles around the road on that Old Salina route.
They trudged along through snow and mud, their horses near gave out.
But you never heard them murmur with the hardships they went through
For they were pioneers you know with hearts so firm and true.
When John Reid brought his little store to us it seemed to dear.
When the sign was printed o'er the door it was called "The Pioneer."
This little pioneer store along with the post office, was located in his dugout residence. Later 'he built a lumber store on his lot facing east on Main Street. In later years instead of bringing merchandise from the Salina Route, he would send two of his boys to Price, a larger railroad junction community, about thirty miles north of Orangeville. Because of poor roads, the trip usually took two or three days and required a night of camping out and a night stay in Price.
John K. remained in the mercantile business for thirty-two years. Then he became interested in becoming a lawyer. He lost interest in the store. The children were gone and there was no one to take over the store, so the doors were closed with some merchandise still on the shelves. The family managed to use it until it was depleted.
Incidents that happened to John Kc Reid are worth of mention. Just two weeks before Christmas of 1879, he with Joseph G. Burnett, M. E. Johnson, and John F. Wakefield, started out in a heavy snow storm to go to Manti for winter supplies and Christmas goods. The snow was deep in the mountains and there was no road open when they arrived in Quitchpaw Canyon. The snow was about six feet deep. Just as they were about to start, a young Danishman and Ephraim Jeffs caught up with them. Their horses were fresh and in good condition as they had followed their trial all the way. They were asked to help break trail. Jeffs responded, but the Danishman refused. He was asked several times but he still refused and stayed behind the others. He seemed to be cold and almost frozen. The party could see that if they left him he would die, so they decided upon drastic measures. John K. took a black whip and started after him. He ran back, but was stopped and headed forward. The only means of moving him was by using the black whip. A slashing moved him to the front, saved his life, and made him do his share. When they arrived in Salina Canyon he mounted his horse and left the party. They finally arrived in Manti, loaded their supplies and started back. Joe Burnett and John K. started back in another snow storm. They had three horses loaded with goods. When they arrived at Salina their horses were almost given out and they were practically frozen, having fallen through ice on the river early in the day. The blowing wind and lack of food added to their discomfort. There were seven miles to go, and a trail had to be broken through seven feet of snow. One of the horses slipped and fell down the trail into a gulch and landed with his heels in the air. After hours of effort, they finally got him back on the trail. When they arrived at the cabin in Quitchpaw to pick up their supplies and wagon they discovered that all the feed and harness had been stolen, so they put their bedding on the horses and sat up the rest of the night. Daybreak found them on the road again. They stayed up the next night in Ferron, Utah, but could find no feed for their horses and were forced to turn them out to eat sagebrush. They arrived home Christmas Eve cold, weary and the team given out. It had been so cold in the valley that most of the cattle had frozen to death while they were away.
Many years later (1930's) this incident was dramatized over KSL Radio Station in Salt Lake City when the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was featuring events that happened in various counties when settling Utah.
At his funeral one of his pioneer friends, Milo Johnson, of Huntington, Utah stated "How courageous John K. Reid proved himself as a leader - never wavering with discouragement expressed by the weaker men of the party, but admonishing them that there was reward for those who proved faithful to the end, but little in store for the quitter."
The Christmas of 1881, John K. Reid and J. D. Killpack again went for Christmas goods to Salina. The snow fell so deep they were compelled to leave their wagons on the way, intending to hire a wagon on the other side to come as far as possible up Salina Canyon and then pack through snow to their own wagons. In coming up Salina Canyon after dark and about two miles below S. Allred's ranch, and while passing over a very narrow dugway, one of the hind wheels slid off a rock and precipitated the wagon, men and four horses a distance of 60 feet into the .Salina Creek. Reid was lying face downward on the hind part of the wagon and was thrown about forty feet down the hill to the edge of a perpendicular bank, and then into the creek. The wagon went over him without injuring him. Kilpack was driving the team and when the wagon started to, he sprang from the off side of the wagon and struck on the edge of the bank below and then fell into the creek up to his waist. He crawled onto the ice and snow just in time for the wagon and horses fell into the exact spot he had just vacated. The parties as soon as possible went to work cutting harness and getting the horses out of their entanglement. The best horse was so badly bruised, the wagon tongue was broken in twain, and the goods were smashed, scattered and wet, making the loss including the horse about $300.00.
In the Fall of 1879 John K. was one of the committee chosen to draft petitions to the territorial legislature for a County to be organized. Emanuel Bagley and Elias H. Cox were the others chosen. They asked that the County be called Castle County. The petitions were written in John's log cabin.
The county was organized by authority of an act of the Legislative Assembly on February 12, 1880. It was given the name of Emery County in honor of the honorable George w. Emery, who had served as territorial Governor of Utah between June 9, 1875 and January 19, 1880, and was highly respected in this territory. No other county in Utah bears the name of any Utah Governor.
This region was, at that time, a part of the vast domains of Sanpete County, which comprised all of eastern Utah and embraced what is now Emery, Grand, and Carbon Counties and consisted of much unexplored mountainous country.
Castle Dale became the County seat. On the 2nd Monday in March 1880, the court met at the residence of N. P. Miller on Cottonwood Creek and completed the County organization. John K. Reid was appointed County Treasurer.
For the first year after the organization of Emery County, the County Court held its meetings at the home of John K. in Orangeville at that time Upper Castle Dale. In 1881 he was elected Prosecuting Attorney. John was Justice of the Peace for eight years. He also served as Notary Public.
When the people divided into party lines he joined the Democratic Party as County Chairman for two years. Ever mindful of the needs of the community, John would be the first to lead out and the last to say "quit" or give up. He instigated the first irrigation ditch. He, along with Samuel Jewkes and family built the first grist, saw, and shingle mills. As contributor to the growth and development of his town, Orangeville, and the County of Emery, no man excelled him.
When the family outgrew the lag cabin a frame house was built. It was the first frame house built in Castle Valley.
The house was built on a slight knoll so that the spring floods caused by over grazing by sheep would not destroy the homestead. When the townsite was surveyed, the Reid home was left high and dry. It was a considerable distance from the streets running north and east. The east street being designated as Main Street.
John and Elizabeth, being lovers of the beauties of nature made no attempt to change the location of the huge yards, created by the survey. They proceeded to fence in their half block and systematically block it off into well arranged sections to meet their needs. The house, located in the northeast corner of the lot was surrounded by huge lawns on four sides. The north and west sections in apple trees. The corrals, barn, and garden spot was arranged on the west side of the block. The chicken coop, pig pens just east of corrals. On the south side, the full length of the block, another orchard, containing apple, peach, cherry, plum and apricot trees. There were also raspberries, strawberries, and currant patches and room for Elizabeth's flower garden. The pioneer store was located west on Main Street. The woodshed, grainery, and root celler was in back of the store.
Every foot was utilized. There was no confusion in that lot. Everything had its place and was always kept in order.
John K. planted the first fruit trees as well as the first shade trees. There were many kinds of trees, black walnut, mulberry, poplar, silver maple, blue spruce, and others. Every spare dollar they had was used to buy flowering shrubs and roses. In time it was like a city park, a show place, a credit to the town.
President Alma G. Jewkes stated at John K.'s funeral that he had caused two blades of grass to grow where only one had grown before. He said that John K. was indeed a public benefactor. Such was the life of John K. Reid, and that no man had done more to subdue the barren soil and make it blossom like a rose.
The Reid home was the center of the social life of the community, as well as a home for the traveling people and the visiting church authorities. John K. was a lover of music, having a rich singing voice himself, he taught and encouraged the family to sing the old Scotish and Irish songs. It was a singing family. Most of the children had good voices, especially the younger ones. Rhea, the youngest daughter, sang like a bird and spent her life singing for the enjoyment of others. Years after, when the boys returned home for a visit, they would sit on the front porch and, in harmony, they would fill the air with beautiful music much to the delight of the neighbors.
Many an evening in company with other community members was spent in singing, telling stories, and eating sweets brought in from the Reid store. John was a born actor. He formed a community Dramatic Club, served as its coach, and acted in the plays.
John was a spiritual man, always faithful of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He loved Gospel and sacrificed much for it. He was first counselor of the bishopric in the Orangeville ward for eleven years. Jasper Robertson was Bishop and Andrew Anderson was second counselor. He was also a compassionate man, always looking after the people in his community. J. Wellington Seeley, one of the first settlers on the Cottonwood Creek, once said that John K. Reid was one of the first men to make inquiry at a time of sickness in his family to see if there was anything he could do or supply for the comfort of his wife and infant son born while on route to the valley.
It was John's delight to fill sacks of food and clothing from his store and surprise a needy family or widow and children on Thanksgiving or Christmas. He also said that John was a man fearless in his convictions, but if found in error upon a question of issue, he was the first to acknowledge it.
In spite of John K.'s many responsibilities and large family, he found time to study law. He was admitted to practice at the bar as an attorney of the Seventh Judicial District Court, August 15, 1896, when the honorable Jacob Johnson was Judge of that Court. He followed this profession until four or five years before his death. He was the first prosecuting attorney of Emery County and served that County for nine years when Emery, Carbon, and Grand Counties were one. He spent much time traveling to the different sections astride a horse, by lumber wagon, or buggy over roads that were crude and in a native state. This was at the time of the Robbers Roost Gang operations in that territory and headquartered in the Henry Mountains.
Judge Christiansen, of the Seventh Judicial, representing the Bar Association at John's funeral, spoke of John K. as an honest lawyer, and always rendered efficient service. He was held in high esteem by the Bar Association.
About 1900 John K. purchased property on Main Street in Helper. The Rio Grande Railroad ran through this part of the country, connecting Utah to Colorado. Helper was so named because extra engines were kept there to ~ the trains over Soldier Summit. In 1894 Emery County was divided for the second time and Carbon County was formed. There were three towns of any size in the County, Helper, Castle Gate (a coal mining town) , and Price, the County seat.
The property was purchased as an investment and consisted of a Butcher Shop, rooming house, and restaurant. John the oldest son, was given the responsibility of the butcher shop. Alice, May and Eliza operated the rooming house and restaurant. Alice, the older of the three did the cooking. May and Eliza cared for the rooms and waited on tables. The popularity of the place was due to the excellent service rendered and the presence of the beautiful Titian-haired Reid Girls.
It is not known how long the buiness was in operation perhaps six years. It was discontinued when the young people found mates. The two younger girls married Railroad engineers. May married Quimby Lamplaugh and moved to Denver. Eliza married Oliver English and left for Salt Lake City. Alice went to Castle Gate to work in the Post Office. John and his bride, Edna Neal, went home to Orangeville to farm.
At this point John made what some would consider a mistake in judgment. He saw no future in Carbon County and sold the property. Soon afterwards Carbon County became a booming area. Eastern capital came in and opened up rich coal fields. Mining towns sprang up everywhere. Property became very valuable. However, John K. had no regrets. His heart was in Emery County. In spite of the fact that it was considered a poor, unattractive place to live, he believed in its future. Not in agriculture, for its soil was not very rich. Land was scarce and farms were small. It seemed to lend itself to livestock. Mountain ranges were so close that the valley seemed more adaptable to grazing rather than farming. He knew that Emery was rich in coal and minerals. He was sure a railroad from Salina, Sevier County, would go through the eastern part of Emery County.
Operations of the Denver and Rio Grande Western in Emery County (1880-1883) created high expectations at that time. This company was then building southward through central Utah. The rails were laid up Salina Canyon and the grade was completed to the top of the mountain. A railroad was also graded through Buckhorn Flat and $217,470 was spent on the proposed route through Castle Valley.
As yet there was no railroad through Price and it was fully expected that the road would be finished through the valley and east to Colorado. However, the route was changed, and a northern one was followed along the Price River, thirty-three miles north of Castle Dale.
Although disappointed at not getting the railroad at that time, the people for many years still clung to the hope of seeing the main line of the Rio Grande constructed on the old grade through Salina Canyon.
John set about to open the first coal mine in Cottonwood Canyon. In later years he contacted large coal operation in Pennsylvania. The Mayor of Scranton, Pennsylvania and another man came and tested the coal.. It proved to be rich coal and of great value, but it was felt to be too difficult to develop and operate because of the distance from the railroad. This was a great disappointment to John. Thirty or forty years after his death his beloved Emery County became a boom County. His dream came true.
A process by which coal and water is combined to produce electricity has been developed. Several plants have been built throughout the County. The electricity is taken to other states by way of Transmitters. The County that has been sleeping for so long has suddenly come to life, just as John K. had hoped. Population had doubled, new schools and churches have to be built and enlarged. New residences have been developed as well as new businesses. Four towns in Emery County are now considered to have the largest average income in the state.
After retirement, John continued to beautify his place. The farm and cattle was purchased by his son, Terrance, and he spent most of his days raising large beautiful gardens, especially during World War I. He enjoyed visiting with his sons and sons-in-law, Oliver English, whom he was fond of, would send him a small pocket diary every Christmas. He enjoyed recording the weather, statistics about his garden for use the next season, and also important events. As he grew older he had little patience with the "goings on" of the young people of the community, who found the lower part of John's lawn an excellent place to do their courting. He would come out of his house and yell "Con found you, I can't sleep. Take your courting some place else." There would be action everywhere, over the fence and through the gate.
At the age of seventy, he died at his home in Orangeville, Utah at 3:45 P.M. on April 6, 1926, which was his oldest son's birthday. It was also the day the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized in 1830. He suffered for nearly four years. The last part of his life he was an invalid as the result of paralysis agilans. His immediate cause of death being paralysis of the bladder.
He was survived by his wife, Elizabeth, sons John Thomas, Edward Jackson, Alec Terrance, William Jackson, Robert Jackson, and Clairmont; and daughters, Minnie, Margaret, Alice, May, Eliza, and Rhea. Fine tributes were given at his funeral by his pioneer friends. President Louis P, Overson of Emery County paid tribute to the life of the deceased as a benefactor. His service in a public capacity, his association with him in the earlier history of the County as an associate county officer, that he had devoted his life to the service of uplift and improvement to his town the welfare of his county, pride in his state and loyalty to his country. Such was the life of John K. Reid.
Birth: Dec. 25, 1850 Edinburgh, Scotland
Death: Apr. 6, 1926 Orangeville Emery County Utah, USA
Son of John Patrick Reid and Margaret Kirkwood
Married Elizabeth Jackson, 5 Jan 1869, Payson, Utah, Utah
Children - Margaret Reid, John Thomas Reid, Alice Maria Reid, Elizabeth Cynthia Reid, Edward Jackson Reid, Minnie Reid, Millie May Reid, Eliza Jane Reid, William Jackson Reid, Robert Jackson Reid, Lucy Reid, Joseph Royal Reid, Alex Terrance Reid, Clairmont Jackson Reid, Rhea Reid
- John Patrick Reid (1825 - 1916)
- Margaret Kirkwood Reid (1826 - 1904)
- Elizabeth Jackson Reid (1851 - 1934)
- Margaret Reid Jewkes (1870 - 1954)*
- John Thomas Reid (1871 - 1937)*
- Alice Mariah Reid Higgs (1872 - 1946)*
- Edward Jackson Reid (1875 - 1939)*
- Minnie Reid Jewkes (1876 - 1962)*
- Millie May Reid Weidman (1878 - 1938)*
- Eliza Jane Reid English (1880 - 1961)*
- William Jackson Reid (1881 - 1944)*
- Robert J. Reid (1885 - 1932)*
- Lucy Reid (1886 - 1902)*
- Joseph Royal Reid (1888 - 1906)*
- Alex Terrance Reid (1889 - 1938)*
- Rhea Reid Moffitt (1894 - 1971)*
- William Kirkwood Reid (1848 - 1905)*
- John Kirkwood Reid (1850 - 1926)
- Margaret Violet Reid Sloan (1857 - 1944)*
- Alexander Kirkwood Reid (1860 - 1903)*
- Agnes Reid Tooth (1862 - 1951)*
- Lucy Smith Reid Tennant (1864 - 1929)*
- Robert Reid (1866 - 1924)*
- Sarah Jane Reid Folsom (1868 - 1940)*
- Calculated relationship
Burial: Orangeville City Cemetery Orangeville Emery County Utah, USA Plot: 10-4-1
Created by: SMSmith Record added: Sep 27, 2010 Find A Grave Memorial# 59288665
John Kirkwood Reid's Timeline
December 22, 1850
March 2, 1870
Payson, Utah County, Utah, USA
April 6, 1871
Payson, Utah County, Utah, USA
July 14, 1872
Payson, Utah County, Utah, USA
June 23, 1875
Payson, UT, United States
December 31, 1876
Manti, Sanpete County, Utah, USA
May 7, 1878
Manti, Sanpete County, Utah, USA
February 6, 1880
Orangeville, UT, USA
December 14, 1881
Orangeville, Emery County, Utah, USA