Samuel Whitaker Andrew

Is your surname Andrew?

Research the Andrew family

Samuel Whitaker Andrew's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Related Projects

About Samuel Whitaker Andrew


Samuel Whitaker Andrew was born in Stockport, Lancashire, England, 18 May, 1852. He was the son of Frederick Chadwick Andrew and Elizabeth Whittaker (Andrew) and like his father, followed the vocation of a blacksmith and a bolt and nail manufacturer. He was a very good person treating everyone honestly. He tried never to criticize and always did the best work he could. He was quick spoken at times, but had many friends. He believed the Gospel to be true with all his heart, and tried to live up to its principles at all times.

A few years before Samuel was born, two missionaries of The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints came to the home of his parents Fredrick and Elizabeth Andrew, and explained the Gospel to them. They accepted it quite readily, believing it was the word of God that was sent to them, and joined the Church. Fredrick parents were displeased with their joining a new religion, the Mormon Church, and thought that they would regret it someday, but they never did as there was more truth in the Gospel than in any other religion they had heard. However, they never heard from his parents again.

Samuel had a twin sister named Alice Andrew, but she died the 11 August, 1852, just before they were three months old. Samuel was very small and had a hard time early in life, but his health improved after his family came to Salt Lake City.

Samuel and his family left England on the 12th of March, 1854 aboard the ship John M. Wood. After boarding the ship they had to wait at the dock a day or so before starting on their Journey. They left the Liverpool Dock and went through the Irish Channel, traveling at about 8 to 10 knots per hour, or nearly 4 or 5 miles an hour. The climate was quite cold and damp, and the whole family caught colds. Samuel, being the youngest, caught a serious cold and cough. His father found two Elders on the ship who administered to him with oil and by the next morning he was much better.

Samuel's father was a skilled worker in the metal foundry as his trade was a screw and bolt maker. He established his pioneer blacksmith shop in a good location in Salt Lake City and had a very good business shoeing horses and oxen, and welding wagon tires and other useful articles such as molding flatirons, and other things.

His shop stood on the North side of Fourth South, between Main and West Temple St. The lot, or block, was about 10 rods square, or about 160 feet square. His property was on the best corner of the lot. The blacksmith shop faced South, and their house was located about halfway between the shop and the forth line. On the back they built a barn. The blacksmith shop was a familiar landmark until about 1900. Samuel grew to manhood in this environment. From the time he could pull the bellows handle down by the aid of a short rope, he began acquiring the blacksmith trade. With the help of his father and brother, John, he was soon making nails, oxen and horse shoes, and many other things.

Samuel, or Sammy as he was called, did not have much formal education. He attended school for only three or 3 and one half years. He observed articles in papers and magazines and found out how to read and write. As he was very dark complected, his teachers used to call him their little Indian boy.

In the summer of 1869, Samuel and his brother John worked in Weber Canyon, near Ogden, Utah, making wheelbarrows and other iron works for the building of the first railway coming to Utah. All the work had to be done by hand, and was done well at that time.

Samuel Whittaker Andrew was ordained an Elder in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in 1869 or 1870, in the endowment House in Salt Lake City, Utah, by H.J. Smith.

On the 8th of March, 1875, in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City, Utah, Brother Daniel H. Wells united him in marriage with Mary Vilate Fullmer.

Four years later he accepted a position in Logan, Utah, in a foundry and machine shop where he stayed for a year before returning to Salt Lake City to locate on 5th South between 2nd and and West. In this place, possibly, his sons Samuel Fullmer was born on 7th of September, 1876 and David was born on the 11th of November, 1877. It was at that particular time that John Taylor took the contract for building a road threw the canyon and later became President of the Church.

On the 28th of March, 1881, the third son, Fred, was born to Samuel and Mary Andrew. In the fall of 1881 the family moved into the Third Ward in Salt Lake City, locating at the corner of 6th South and State Street. It was there presumably, on the 8th of March, 1883 that Mary Pilate, or Mae, as she was called was born. Here possibly at this address, on the 9th of April, 1885, a son, June, was born. Two more children joined the family of Samuel Andrew, Richard Marvin, on 14th April, 1887 and Rhoda Ethel, on the 14th of January 1891. They both died when they were just a little a year old.

In February or April of 1891, Samuel Whitaker Andrew, moved his family to Mapleton, about 60 miles south of Salt Lake City. Here, with the help of his three sons he did farming as well as his blacksmith work. Also it was here in Mapleton on the 21st of October, 1893 that Walter Silas was born and on the and of July, 1895 Alice Edna arrived to complete the family.

In 1901, Samuel and Mary moved their family to the LaGrande Ronde Valley, in the vicinity of Mt. Glen, which is about five males north of LaGrande, Oregon. Here again he farmed along with his blacksmithing.

Samuel Whitaker Andrew was ordained a High Priest on the 9th of June, 1901 by Charles Nibley, in Mt. Glen, Union Co., Oregon, and on the same day was ordained a High Councilman in LaGrande, Oregon, a position which he held until he was honorably released at a Quarterly Conference, because of ill health, in about November of 1908.

Samuels wife, Mary Vilate Fullmer Andrew, died on of June 1904 and was buried in the Mt. Glen cemetery. A year or so later he moved to LaGrande where he followed his trade for a while. He settled in the south end of the city, called O1d Town, an early settlement before the city of LaGrande was built, near his son, Samuel's property, which was on the corner of 6th and K Street. He lived here for a few years with his younger children, Walter Silas and Alice Edna, until he got a lob working in a pump house of a sugar factory in Idaho. While there, he boarded at his son June's home.

He later spent one year working with his brother William in Lake City in blacksmithing.

Samuel acted as Teacher the Wards ever lived in. He was on the Church Board in Mt. Glen until the Bishopric was organized there. He was on the School Board for two or three years and also on the Trustee Board for the school. He was a steady worker in The Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints, advancing in the Priesthood from Deacon to High Priest. He acted as Janitor for the LaGrande Tabernacle for five years with the help of his son, Walter Silas.

Samuel Whitaker Andrew died on the 2nd of June, 1943 in LaGrande, Oregon after a long illness, and was buried in the Lagrange, Oregon, or City, or Hillcrest Cemetary. He lived to be 91 years old, and was able to get around by himself except for the last few weeks.

Some of the things that my Father learned to do by experience in taking care of stock, horses, cows and pigs: - by Walter Silas Andrew.

He seemed to know how to take care of stock or animals. In feeding of stock he always gave them enough had and grain to eat, but didn't want them to waste it. If the animal didn't eat quite all his hay he only fed them the next time hardly enough. He wouldn't cut their feed much, but had very good looking animals. He would feed all kinds of stock on the same basis.

When father drove horses on a long distance hooked to a buggy, he wouldn't make them go very fast at the start, but then in a while he would get them to go a little faster for a period. If they were getting warm, Father would allow them to slow down or stop a few minutes to rest. When I was with him on several occasions, if there was a drinking fountain or watering trough along the way, he would not let them drink all the water they wanted, or too fast, because they would get sick or the colic which would delay his trip.

He was very careful with them. Father would treat a race horse the same way. If the horse or horses would get quite warm and sweating, he would take luke-warm water and rub it down and let it rest for a while with a horse blanket on.

Father learned to feed and care for his stock and to use them and fatten them for the market. He was very conservative and care of his animals.

Yes, Father was a good blacksmith, mechanic, wood and metal worker. He was good in welding iron and steel, making bolts, horse shoes, nails and many other things. He knew how to temper all kinds of cutting instruments like plow shears, knives and axes. In having it so hot and how he cooled the irons off. You could see the blue color going down along the cutting edge as it cooled.

He certainly was a good wood worker, especially when he was making wooden wheels for a buggy or a heavy wagon. He was also a good carpenter and cabinet maker, in that respect he could take old or new hubs of a wheel of a buggy or wagon and put the spokes in it perfectly all around the hub. He would take a wooden felly, or rim, with a gradual curve two or three feet long, or long enough to fit across two ends of spokes after trimming the ends spokes down, and then all the spokes around the wheel. A11 the spokes are fitted in the felly. Then the wheel is ready to put the tire on over the felly while hot as possible. It would make a very strong wheel.

He used to do horse shoeing for either small or large horses. He and his father made bolts, horse shoes, nails and all kinds of blacksmithing of iron. He used to shoe oxen and even make oxen shoes. Oxen shoes were small and were rounding like a heart shape coming together.

SOURCE: Ancestors and Descendants of Frederick Chadwick Andrew. Pages 107-109.

view all

Samuel Whitaker Andrew's Timeline

May 18, 1852
Bamber Bridge, Lancashire, United Kingdom
September 7, 1876
Age 24
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
November 11, 1877
Age 25
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
March 28, 1881
Age 28
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
April 9, 1885
Age 32
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
October 21, 1893
Age 41
Mapleton, Utah County, Utah, United States
July 3, 1895
Age 43
Mapleton, Utah County, Utah, United States
June 2, 1943
Age 91
La Grande, Union County, Oregon, United States
Union, Union County, Oregon, United States