John Hardison Redd

Is your surname Redd?

Research the Redd family

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Related Projects

John Hardison Redd

Birthplace: Stump Sound, Onslow County, North Carolina, United States
Death: June 15, 1858 (58)
Spanish Fork, Utah County, Utah, United States
Place of Burial: Spanish Fork, Utah County, Utah, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of Whitaker Redd, Jr. and Elizabeth Redd
Husband of Elizabeth Redd and Mary Hawkes
Father of Edward Ward Redd; Ann Mariah Pace; Marinda Dennis; Ann Elizabeth Pace; Mary Catherine Pace and 5 others
Half brother of Mary Holt

Managed by: Arthur Rexford Whittaker
Last Updated:

About John Hardison Redd

John Hardison Redd was born of goodly parents; namely, Whitaker Redd and Elizabeth Hardison. He was born December 27, 1799, at Stump Sound, Onslow County, North Carolina. Stump Sound was a small arm of the ocean reaching inland be­tween the mainland and a row of sandy islands along the coast. Another account places the location of birth in or near Sneads Ferry, North Carolina.

Whitaker Redd held land in Onslow County. At his death he left Hall's point Plantation to his son, Whitaker. I haven't found out the exact size of it. Later it was divided into six parts, one part for each of Whitaker Jr's children - Mary, John H., William, Catherine, Nancy, and Alexander. The deed book mentions several of these parts. It was on this plantation that John H. was probably born and raised - in Snead's Ferry, Onslow County, North Carolina. The family as a whole seemed to have been prosperous and well to do. William gave his oldest son, Kincy, who had moved to New Hanover County, 520 acres and a Negro man slave. But at that they didn't have anything we'd call a luxury.

I can find no reference to Stump Sound in the atlas or on today's map. The name has likely disappeared, and most likely was merely an area along the shore. One account, in the Juarez Stake records, says that John's son, Lemuel, was born near the court house. The court house now is in Jack­sonville, between 15 and 20 miles inland, but at one time the court house was located much closer to the shore, so close, in fact, that it was washed away by a tidal wave.

"Johnston, once its capitol, was located in the southern part of the county, where court was held; but in September 1752 a most terrific hurri­cane swept away the court house, clerks office and dwelling houses; the records were all destroyed and the town was abandoned." (It seems too, that many other things happened that make it difficult to find much record.)

We know very little about John Hardison Redd as a child, but from the few things we do know we can do a bit of gues­sing. His father's first wife, Nancy Cary, died, leaving a daughter, Mary, born September 27, 1792. She was a lone little girl, perhaps the only white child in the home, reared and cared for by a Negro "mammy." Then her father married Elizabeth Hardison, and John Hardison Redd was born when Mary was seven years old.

Elizabeth died shortly thereafter, and both John and Mary were then cared for by the "mammy." But Mary was no longer lonely. She had a little brother, and I think she must have mothered him as no other baby was ever mothered by a sister. They were never separated long in their whole lives. From North Carolina they went to Tennessee, and from there to Utah. Both died in Spanish Fork. A third mother came into the Redd home, and another sister was born April 30, 1804, when John was about five. The new sister had a mother, of course, so I don't think she "needed" John and Mary quite as much as they had needed each other. The two continued to be the best of "pals," despite the difference in their ages.

People living in a maritime locale become expert in boating, swimming, and fishing. Those early people undoubt­edly ranged up and down the coast in boats and canoes. As long as I can remember there has been a tradition in the family that John Hardison Redd was a sea captain. When I was a child my father had John's sword and scabbard. I played with it many times, pulling the sword out and then putting it back in the scabbard. Aunt Ellen had his special colored glasses which he wore on the sea. They had hinged blue lenses which could be put in front of the eye or along-side the temple, as the need arose. Also, the bows could be lengthened or shortened. Finally, John D. Lee, who baptised John Redd into the church, confirms in his journal that John was a sea captain.

So John Hardison Redd was a sea captain. That must have been before he was 39, at which age he left the coast and moved inland. If he were expert enough to become a cap­tain or master of a vessel, he must have started young. He may have owned his own vessel and captained that; many did. He may even have served as an apprentice on a vessel. Serv­ing as an apprentice was the usual way of getting an educa­tion in any trade or profession in that day, as there were no schools to do the job.

There are legends that he traded in the Barbados. The Barbados, owned by the British and located off the coast of South America a little north and east of Trinidad, seems to have been a halfway station between England and America. This was probably because of prevailing winds and ocean currents. Even when Lord Baltimore sent his first two ships to Maryland, they stopped at the Barbados on the way, which is far off the course. It seems to have been the usual practice of that day. If John Redd did trade in the Barbados, he was indeed an expert sailor.

To become a captain in that day, he must have come up through the ranks. He probably started as a tot to learn the simple things about sailing, and then went on to the more intricate tasks. We read very little about their ac­tivities, but we do know from Onslow Court minutes, which are found in the archives at Raleigh, North Carolina, that John's grandfather, Whitaker Redd, owned a canoe at the time of his death, because his son, William, bought it from his father's estate on April 27, 1789. William also bought a lot of fish. The inventory was dated January 23, 1789.

I can imagine John Hardison Redd as a mere tot going out with his father or other members of the family deep sea fishing, or boating, or maybe swimming. Swimming was impera­tive as a prerequisite of boating. At times their lives depended upon their ability to swim and swim well. It would have been foolhardy to go to sea in a small boat or canoe and not be able to swim if it should become necessary.

We can also take it for granted that John Hardison Redd was well versed in the "art and mystery of a planter," as the records of his day called him a planter. He owned a plantation and he had to know how to run it. In those days things were as primitive as they were in the middle ages; there were few inventions, few labor saving devices, no machinery, no short cuts. Everything about the house or plan­tation had to be done the hard way -- by hand. Cleve Redd, Joe Frank's father, told me when I was in Sneads Ferry in 1918 that they had to grub up small pine trees all the time out of their gardens; otherwise, the gardens would go back to a heavy pine forest in a few years. They were always

grubbing and clearing just to break even and keep what they had. They took me out to an old Redd cemetery which was no longer in use; head boards were all rotted away and gone. I saw only one stone piece. On the way we went over a "cordu­roy" road made of logs six or seven feet long laid side by side across the road. It was bumpy.

They said: "This is a road that Sigley Redd made with his slave labor before the (Civil) War. It ran from his plantation up to his saw mill. See how he ditched it to keep it dry."

A ditch ran along just under the ends of the logs on one side of the road. The ditch, clogged now with vegetation, had seepage water in it; the water was probably always there on account of the wet climate there at sea level.

Sigley was John Hardison Redd's cousin, some fourteen years older. He was the son of William, who was the brother of Whitaker. Apparently, John H. Redd's relatives knew how to build and use saw mills, and he undoubtedly had the same "know how." He also had much more "know how" about farming and building, most of which he passed on to his son, Lemuel H.

John was also a much better writer than most of the others of his time, and he may have had some private tutoring. His sister, Mary, couldn't even sign her own name. It wasn't essential for a girl to write; her business was to weave and sew and cook and do the other items of housekeeping for the comfort and happiness of her husband and children. That was her business; if she were proficient in those duties, she was a pillar of society.

Early Manhood in North Carolina

On October 17, 1820, John Hardison Redd bought 50 acres of land for $10.00 from William Hancock (North Carolina deed book 17, page 115). How near his family lived to the Han-cocks, we don't know, but this was his future wife's brother. John H. was nearly 21, and it was just over six years before he was to marry William's sister, Elizabeth.

This is the first transaction of his of which I have a record. His father was still alive at the time, and it is possible that he was still living at home -- when they weren't at sea -- helping his father farm, along with his two younger brothers, William W., 11, and Alexander, 9. When he bought this land he may have decided not to go to sea any more but to be a planter instead. We also read: "For

several years while in North Carolina he was in the mercan­tile business, where he was admired and respected by his friends and associates."

He married Elizabeth Hancock March 2, 1826. She was born January 25, 1798, and was the only living daughter of Zebedee Hancock and his wife, Abigail Taylor. She had two brothers, William and Anson Hancock. I guess she had always had a Negro maid to wait on her, and just five months before John H. Redd bought the land from her brother, her father had willed her a Negro maid for her very own, forever. This maid was named Venus, and she stayed with Elizabeth all the rest of her life, so that Elizabeth always had someone to wait on her, just like a princess or a queen. At the time of her marriage, Elizabeth's mother was dead and she had a step-mother. In his will, Zebedee had left four Negroes to this stepmother as a loan, but at her death Elizabeth was to get one-third of them. One of the Negroes was named Chaney, and Elizabeth got that one. From then on she had two maids to wait on her and do her hard work. Still, there was plenty to do to keep Elizabeth busy, as there were no labor-saving devices, and all the bedding, clothing, weaving, sewing, cooking, knitting, and so on for the family had to be done by hand in the home. At least, she had time for as much of that as she wanted to do. But just because the hard, dirty work was done by a maid didn't mean that Elizabeth was ever idle. That was never thought of for a lady, or even for a princess. Life would have been very boring with nothing to do. We know little of her activities, but we can assume that they were confined to the home, just as were those of all women of her day.

John H. Redd began as early as most to take his place in the community where he lived. His sister, Mary, married John Holt in November of 1814, and of course she left home. At that time he had four little brothers and sisters: Nancy, William, Alexander, and Catherine. Catherine was at the time just a tiny baby.

John's uncle, William, was older than his father, and he was much in the public eye. He is mentioned many times in the court minutes as buyer, seller, juror, guardian, etc. Whitaker's name does not appear often. Perhaps he had a dislike of spending his time in court, or maybe he was at sea much of the time, fishing. At one time he was even fined for nonattendance. He had been appointed to act as juror and didn't show up. John H. seemed to take after his father in this. He came to court only when it was necessary. Maybe he, too, spent time with his father on the sea. But William seems to have always been there to be appointed on committees and so forth. Also, he seems to have had a lot more private personal business than Whitaker had.

Some of the activities of John Hardison Redd as I find them in the court minutes at Raleigh were: He witnessed the will of Jeptha or Jephehah Cary on May 17, 1835. (I think Jeptha Cary was a close relative of his sister, Mary, as her mother's maiden name was Cary.) He was appointed by his sister, Mary, and her husband, John Holt, to be their attor­ney October 17, 1829, when her father, Whitaker, died. (Mary and John were living at that time in Rutherford County, Tennessee -- Deed book #18, page 132. His duty was to sell the land and other property she was to get from her father's estate) John H. Redd was also attorney for Anson Hancock, his brother-in-law, who then lived in Gadsden County, Florida. (In this case he sold, among other things, a Negro slave, Elias, to Richard Collins for $400 on May 2, 1832.) On November 25, 1830, he sold the land of his sister, Mary, who at that time lived in the state of Alabama. (It seems that Mary and John were having difficulty making up their minds about a new settling place.) John Redd was appointed on a commission to help divide the land of Alice Dulany, deceased, among her heirs. These heirs included Seth Ward and Benjamin Ward, heirs of Eli W. Ward.

John H. Redd and Elizabeth sold 75 and 50 acres which she had received from Zebedee Hancock to Daniel Harper for $250. One thing different about that transaction was that Elizabeth signed the deed. Few women of that day could sign their names. Despite the signature, Daniel Harper was a bit skeptical about the deed. He thought that maybe John H. was doing it all on his own account, without her free consent. According to law, no man could sell his wife's property without her free consent if she had received the property by inheritance or as a dower. Harper questioned the trans-action in court. Elizabeth was too infirm to travel to the court, so the court commanded that two representatives go to her alone and apart from her husband and get her consent. They brought back to the court the following document:

In obedience to a commission to us directed from the county court of this county at the August term 1832, we have proceeded to take the private examination of Elizabeth Redd, wife of John H. Redd, at the home of said Redd respecting her signing a deed with her husband to Daniel Harper and upon her being examined separate and apart from her said husband and privately touching the execution thereof by her and there upon she acknowledged that she did execute the foregoing deed freely voluntarily and without the control or compulsion of her husband. Given under our hand and seal this August 12, 1832.

John H. Redd sold 200 acres for $100 on May 20, 1829. This was half the land that fell to John H. Redd from John Hardison by heirship (Deed book #21, page 394). He sold his own right in his father's land to John Wilkins for $110 on December 11, 1832. He sold 145 acres to Edward Ward for $14 in July of 1832.

The last sale by John H. Redd of which I have record in North Carolina was August 11, 1838. Grandfather was about two years old at the time, and they were getting ready to leave for Tennessee. At that time he sold a plantation of 300 acres called "The Bluff" and three other tracts of 200 and 75 and 50 acres, respectively. This was his sell out to go to Tennessee. He received $1650 for the lot from John

By that time his sister, Mary, was back in Rutherford County, Tennessee, and that is where John headed.

John Hardison Redd bought a plantation about 15 or 20 miles from Murphriesborough, Rutherford County, Tennessee.

John H. Redd sold his land in Onslow County, North Carolina, August 11, 1838, and bought his

first land in RutherfordCounty, Tennessee, December 5, 1838.

After he sold his land in North Carolina, he completed his prepara­tions for the move west. These preparations may have con­sisted of obtaining wagons, oxen, yokes, horses, saddles, harnesses, barrels for water, and perhaps a hundred other things I wouldn't know about. They would probably take all they had and maybe even procure more in preparation for the settling in process. They had five children, aged eight, six, four, two, and a tiny baby. According to the census of 1850, they also had at least four Negro children, maybe more. It's possible that they had started months or even years before to get ready for the move. They must have had a regular caravan going to Tennessee. I'm sure they took all they had -- cattle, chickens, teams, wagons, farming equip­ment, seeds, furniture, stock, slaves, clothing, and pro-visions for all of the family. If they wanted it for use in Tennessee, they had to take it with them; there were no stores or markets of any kind out in that far western frontier.

Despite the fact that they traveled by ox team and took all their possessions with them, they made pretty good time. If the road were straight, it would have been nearly 600 miles, but because it wound around quite a bit, it was pro­bably many miles farther. Perhaps there was not much of a road at all. When Fern and I went down there in 1957, we made good time across the prairie, but from Kentucky across North Carolina the road was terribly crooked and slow travel­ing. I'll bet they had to chop a trail part of the way so they could get along. Little pines and other vegetation would be growing all the time, and it would have to be cleared away.

Once they arrived in Tennessee, it may have taken a bit of time to find a piece of land and arrange for its purchase. That would explain the four months which elapsed between selling out in North Carolina and buying land in Tennessee.

He lived there for about 12 years and built a home and farmed the place. It was there in 1843 that something happened that changed their whole lives. We have never known much about the incident (at least, I hadn't), but not long ago I found a good account of it in the missionary journal of John D. Lee, who baptized John Redd and his family into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. A copy of the journal is in the Huntington Library near Los Angeles, and John D. Lee's granddaughter, Mozelle Bickley, has the original. I consulted both.

The following are from entries made in 1843:

May 16 - We then returned in company with Mr. Nochols to fill an appointment at the house of Br. Pace's. But in consequence of the day being so rainy & disagreeable, but few persons turned out, however I preached to them. Among the number that composed the audience was 2 gentlemen who had rode 17 miles to hear a mormon preach (viz) Mr. John H. Redd and John Hoalts. After meeting Mr. Red bought some books of me & requested me to visit his neigh­borhood & lecture to them. Accordingly I sent an appointment by them for the Sunday.

May 20 - Now being left alone I determined to continue my labors to as small a compass as would enable me to do the cause justice. Casting myself upon the pure mercies of God I again pursued my way being conveyed over Stone's river on horseback

I felt much relieved & expressed my gratitude to my kind benefactors for the favor shown me. Directly after I crossed this stream Mr. John H. Redd rode up & kindly offered to carry my valise also to ride and tie with me. I cheerfully excepted his proposals & went to his home & spent the night.

May 21 - Monday morning after breakfast I walked over to Mr. Redd's in company with several others & before I left I exhorted them to Obedience to the Mandates of Heaven.

June 6 - I assisted to make a damb across a stream in order to prepare or collect sufficient quantity of water to baptise & at 2 oclock r bap­tised John Holt & Mary his wife. ("Sister Holt but a short time before was conveyed in a carriage to the water, her health being so much impaired as to prevent her from walking a few rods, was immediately relieved of her illness." Juanita Brooks in, John D. Lee, p. 52.) Returned to his house and confirmed & under same administration ordained him an Elder-for thus I was commanded in a vision to do.- at the same time 3 more acknowledged the truth and offered themselves for baptism. I walked to Mr. Redd spent the evening reasoning with them.

June 7 - In the morning before I left them Mrs Redd gave me her hand as a token of her sincerity in the cause of truth, But was not prepared to be Immersed at that time.

June 14 - Went to Br Pace's took breakfast. Then baptised the following persons & confirmed them by the water side Wilson D Pace & Harvey A Pace.

June 15 - Spent the night with Mr Redd.

June 17 - At 8 a.m. we repaired to first con­veniens & after Making such remarks as was necessary to precede the ordinance of baptism I administered or Inducted the following persons into the Kingdom or church milotant on earth. John H. Redd a sea captain, Elizabeth Redd, Venice & Chinea 2 servants belonging to Mr J Redd.

The confirmation was attended at the house of Mr. Redd. A considerable portion of the spirit of the Most High was present & manifested itself on this occasion.

From thence we repaired to the Mormon stand where two short discourses were delivered, the first by Elder Holt which was interesting indeed although

it was the first attempt made by him since his ordina­tion or call to the ministry. I followed with such observations as was appropriate under existing cir­cumstances. Closed the meeting promising to meet them at eleven the following morning.

June 19 - I spent the day at Br Redd's &

posted up my journal. Br Redd & sister Holt between gave me a pair of drawers worth 50.

June 28 - Rode to Br Redds- took dinner

June 29 - I attended a reaping made by Br Redd & assisted him in cutting and saving his wheat.

July 17 - I remained at Br Redd's. Occupied the time in reading and writing also instructing such as came with inquiring minds.

Aug 6, Sunday - At 4 PM I called the members together. Partook of the Lord's supper and organi­zed them into a branch and called it the Friendship branch of Rutherford- set apart & ordained the following officers- Bro John Holt an Elder- Wm Holt lesser priest - Bro John H. Redd Teacher & Clerk. I also taught them their several duties- The spirit of the Lord was with us & we had quite a pleasant time- From thence I walked to Mr Thomas in company with Bro Redd and Mr Hath-

The above was copied just as John D. Lee wrote it. You will notice that he referred to John Redd as Mr. Redd until he was baptized; then he was Brother Redd.

Young William Holt, John and Mary's son, had joined the church a year before. I have often wondered why John Hardi­son Redd and John Holt were so anxious to ride 17 miles in the rain to hear a Mormon preach. Now I know. This boy, William, no doubt was a valiant member and bore a strong testimony of the gospel to his family, and so his father and his uncle decided to look into it for themselves, and we know the result of his missionary efforts. We have always given John D. Lee all the credit for their conversion, but someone else, William Holt, may have done some of it. He at least filled them with curiosity so they went to hear about and investigate the gospel. John Hardison Redd was at that time a heavy user of tobacco. After his conversion he gave up his habit and did without it.

When the church moved west, John H. Redd of course considered going west, too. He made at least two preparatory trips, one to Nauvoo and the other to Winter and Summer Quarters. The trip to Nauvoo was made in the spring. We know this because John and Elizabeth each had their patri­archal blessings during the trip at the hands of Hyrum Smith on April 3, 1844. John and Mary Holt also had their bles­sings that same day. They likely all went to Nauvoo in one wagon.

Following is the patriarchal blessing of John Hardison Redd, son of Whitaker and Elizabeth Hardison Redd, born in Onslow County in the State of North Carolina, December 27, 1799:

Brother John, I lay my hands upon your head in the name of Jesus Christ to place and seal a blessing upon you touching the more important points of your present and future condition. Behold I say unto you, John, you are of the lineage and the tribe of Levi, or in other words you are of that decent and that origin and from that lineage cometh your bles­sings, from that lineage cometh your priesthood and rights of priesthood, from that lineage cometh inheritance and rights of inheritance as well as all other tribes of the house of Israel, all these things are in accordance with the covenants made with the fathers and in answer to their faith it cometh unto the children in the last days. There-fore in these things thou art blessed when you know them and the children are called unto a restora­tion and to the ministry and to the administra­tion of the law of God then you can be blessed spiritually and temporally if you are faithful in the calling wherewith you are called, for it is written, If you seek first the kingdom of God and its righteousness all other things shall be added.

Now, therefore I say unto you, John, you shall be blessed with the priesthood and it shall be a blessing unto you and your house and your name shall be perpetuated from generation to generation and you shall be blessed in your house and habita­tion and in the covenant of grace and shall have an inheritance in the lineage of your fathers, and honor shall crown your head, not withstanding the wickedness of the world. And you shall retire to your grave in peace, but many years shall be multi-plied upon your head if your faith fails not. These blessings I seal upon your head according to the tenor thereof. Even so amen and amen.

The above blessing was given by Hyrum Smith, Patriarch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on April 3, 1844. It is recorded in book "C" on page 258.

July 4 -- Left Bro. John H. Redd considerably difficulted in his mind with reference 'to moving west. After meeting, Bro. Redd, I. Gilliam and Caroline and several others dined with J. D. Lee. (A note at the bottom of the page reads: "John H. Redd later emigrated and founded the Redd family of southeastern Utah.")

July 5 -- Clear, wind S.W. About 8 -- Gilliam, sister Caroline (Gilliam's wife) and J. H. Redd started for Tennessee, their Native land.

Upon returning to Tennessee, John began making prepara­tions to move west. In fact, he had already begun, for he had sold a tract of land before that time.

Being that he paid taxes on only four slaves would in­dicate that he had already freed some of them. I guess the freeing of most of the slaves devolved on his wife, Eliza­beth, because all six who came to Utah with the Redds belonged to Elizabeth, not to John. He had apparently also disposed of some real property by the time the above taxes were assessed.

The Redds were at last ready to make the trip west. The Paces were neighbors there in Tennessee, and they came to Utah together. James Pace was the captain of the company with which the Redds traveled, but Ann Mariah and Ann Eliza­beth Redd, John's daughters, didn't travel in the same company as the Pace boys, their future husbands. The two Pace boys did not cross the plains with their parents; they went south with the Mormon Battalion.

James Pace was captain over the fourth company to cross the plains in 1850. Under him were Richard Sessions, cap­tain of the first fifty wagons, and John Hardison Redd was in this first fifty. The second fifty were under captain David Bennett. The Church Emigration Record of 1850 says that Captain Pace's company was organized early in June, and the company, with one hundred wagons, was in the vicinity of Council Grove on June 7th, according to a report published in the "Frontier Guardian" of that date.

On June 28th they were at a point about 50 miles west of Fort Kearney. There the company met a band of Latter-day Saint missionaries traveling eastward. There had been some sickness in the camp, and most of the companies had lost some of their number with the cholera. John Hardison Redd and his son, Lemuel, both contracted the disease, but they were both fortunate enough to recover.

The Church Emigration Record says that "the actual date of the arrival of Captain Pace's company in Salt Lake City has not been found, but estimating from data for other com­panies on the road, it is thought that Captain Pace's company arrived about September 20, 1850."

John Hardison Redd kept a daily journal of their travels. He kept it in a little notebook he had made himself out of long sheets of paper which he folded and sewed together with a sort of twine, probably homemade, along the fold. In the years since then the outside sheets have been lost, so the beginning and the end of the record is gone, and we don't know exactly when they left or when they arrived. However, we do have some interesting details of the trip as he told them. At that time, the saints were starting their journeys from St. Joseph, Missouri. Family members have reported this, and it is likely that the Redds started from that place. John H. Redd's account is strictly impersonal; he doesn't mention one of his own family at any point. It is merely a "minute" of their travels, but it does give us a clear pic­ture of traveling conditions at that time, of the weather, and of obstacles they encountered while crossing.

Tuesday morning, June 18th. Fine weather with the wind still to the south. We are encamped on the west side of the Weeping Water and capt. Bennett with the second 50 encamped on the oppo­site bank. We have acct. of one death more amongst them, viz, Perry Kees. Their health seems a little improving this morning. We are still blessed with tolerable health in our camp.

Wednesday morning, June 19th. We had quite a rain last night and this morning it looks quite rainy. We are encamped on Salt Creek. Capt. Ben­nett's company passed us this morning in travelling condition under animating hopes of the cholera subsiding amongst them.

Thursday morning, June 20th. A prospect of good weather this morning. Capt. Bennett's company is still in advance of us about three miles and this is according to the wish of Capt. Pace as he wishes to strictly attend both companies. We fell in with two emigrating wagons yesterday who wish to be admitted into our camp, and they had the appear­ance of friendly civil men, who seemed willing to do their part in herding or guarding. Capt. Ses­sions proposed to the camps that if it was consistent with their wishes that he would have no objection and I believe it met the approbation of the camps so they were admitted in. Their names were as follows, viz = Syrus Collins who represented six persons, one wagon and five horses and the other by the name of I. W. Sands who represented 2 persons, 1 wagon and three horses.

Friday morning, June 21st. Fine weather this morning and our camps in tolerable health and con­dition. We passed Capt. Bennett's company yesterday about 1 o'clock. We suppose them at this time to be in our rear about 5 mi.

Saturday morning, June 22nd. Fine weather and tolerable health in our camps except Brother William Middleton who is sick this morning. We are camped near the Oak Grove and suppose Capt. Bennett to be still in our rear about 5 mi.

Sunday morning, June the 23rd. Quite cloudy this morning and likely for rain. We had a little rain last evening about the time we came into the bottom. We are camped near the lone cottonwood in the Platt Bottom and in sight of Capt. Evanses company who is in advance of us. Capt Bennett's company is still in the rear. Our camps are still blessed with tolerable health.

Monday morning, June 24th. We had it quite showery yesterday and very warm, consequently our road was very heavy as we were amongst sloughs. We have nothing of interest.

Tuesday morning, June 25th. We are camped on the south bank of the Platt River where we have plenty of wood and water. We anticipate to rest to-day and do some washing and wait for the arrival of Capt Bennett's company. We still have it warm and showery. Our camps still blessed with tolerable health.

Wednesday morning, June 26th. We had quite a rain last night. We have the wind to the north west this morning and a prospect of better weather. Capt. Bennett's camps (the 2nd 50) arrived yesterday and are encamped near us. All seem to be in tolerable spirits. The camps were called together this morn­ing to establish rules and regulations for safety, progress and welfare of the camps. Capt. Pace and Capt. Sessions very appropriately addressed the camps and it seemed to meet with the good feelings and unanimously agreed to said rules and regula­tions. I have this morning read a correct statement of the deaths which have occurred in Capt. Bennet's company which I will herein insert, viz, Luther Warner who died the 13th of June, Margaret Daney wife of Charles R. Daney June 14th, Harriet Dilley wife of D. B. Dilley June 14th, Ambrose Nichols June 14th, John Smith June 16th, Amanda Herrick June 16th, and Perry Kier June 17th. All supposed to die of cholera and east of the Weeping Water. Capt. Bennett's company have lost two horses sup-posed to be stolen by Indians. We have sent a letter back this morning to Kanesville addressed to Elder O. Hide.

Thursday morning, June 27th. We are still on the Platt Bottom. A prospect of fine weather this morning with a light breeze of wind to the north. Our camps are at this time enjoying tolerable


Friday morning, June the 28th. We had a little rain last night but a prospect of good weather this morning. We have tolerable health with the excep­tion of Sister Oliver who is quite sick at this time.

Saturday morning, June the 29th. It looks quite squally this morning after a very heavy rain last night. We passed Capt. Evans company yesterday. They have lost some three or four of their number with cholera. They passed us last night and are in advance of us a 1/2 mile encamped. We met the mail from Salt Lake Valley yesterday about 10 o'clock. Supposed to be about 60 miles below Fort Carney. Capt. Bennett is still in our rear about 15 miles and news has come in this morning that they have lost 4 more of their number with cholera. Our two emigrating wagons (Mr. Collins and Mrs. Sands) left us this morning by common consent as we expected this day to lay by and they wished to make better progress in traveling.

Sunday morning, June 30th. We have prospects of good weather at this time though we had quite a storm of wind and rain last night. We lay be yester­day in hopes that the 2nd 50 would come up but they have not, as yet. We still have some complaints of sickness in our camps.

Monday morning, July 1st. Quite cool this morning with the wind to northwest. We had very heavy mud yesterday through the willows, sloughs, and swamps but we are safe over this morning. We still have some complaints of sickness in our camps. Capt. Pace has returned back this morning to visit his 2nd 50 (Capt. Bennett's company).

Tuesday morning, July 2nd. Fine weather this morning. We are encamped 10 miles east of Fort Carney. Capt. Pace returned into camp last night with intelligence that Capt. Bennett's company was moving on cheerfully about 12 miles in the rear with no other misfortune than the breaking of two axle-trees. We had the misfortune to lose one of our number yesterday morning. A young girl about 3 years of age, the daughter of brother Henry Wilcox, name Elmira Charlotte.

Wednesday morning, July 3rd. Fine weather this morning. We camped about 3 miles west of Fort Car­ney where we buried Brother Henry Wilcox who died yesterday. Brother Wilcox was about 37 years of

age supposed to die of cholera. There was a meeting called this morning by Capt. Pace and Capt. Sessions as it had been suggested that we should travel in smaller companies to promote the health and welfare of the companies. To this they agreed admitting it should be the unanimous wish of the camps or any number of tens so that they may travel in safety but not that any ten should be broken, but on taking the vote we found but very few in favor of dividing as they thought it could not benefit the camps in the least and no one ten unanimous. Therefore it was agreed to and decided that there should be no dividion but before the camp was ready to move in order John Cazier, Capt. of the 2nd ten, drove out and was followed by 2 wagons out of his own ten represented by Breed Sierls and two more out of the first ten (Capt. John Session's camp 10), one re-presented by Peter Wimmer and the other by Andrew Goodwin and was heard to exclaim 'We are for Salt Lake Valley' and drove on independent and contrary to rules, order or authority. We have wrote and sent on our first letter to the Salt Lake Valley addressed to president Brigham Young bearing date the 2nd of July 1850. Brother William Middleton was appointed Capt. over the third ten in the place of brother Henry Wilcox.

Thursday morning, July 4th. Fine weather but quite warm. There is some complaint of sickness in our camps this morning.

Friday morning, July 5th. Good weather and con­sequently we have better roads. Our camps seem a little better in health this morning for which we feel very thankful to our Heavenly Father for his mercies.

Saturday morning, the 6th. Fine weather, there seems to be some complaint. Brother Edward E. Wilcox is very sick this morning.

Sunday morning, July the 7th. Fine weather this morning with the wind to the south. We are encamped on the bank of the Platt. We have had the misfortune to loose another of our number with cholera. Bro. Edward E. Wilcox died yesterday and we have buried him at this place some fifty or sixty miles east of the south fork of the Platt. The name through mistake on his headboard is marked Edward H. instead of Edward E. Brother Breed Searls who went off with John Cazier has returned with his two wagons and

states that he had no intention of leaving or for-

saking the camp. As such they have been received into their place.

Monday morning, July 8th. A little cloudy and cool and fine weather for traveling. We lay by yes­terday in hopes that Capt Bennett's company would come up but they have not as yet arrived. We still have some complaints of sickness in our camp.

Tuesday morning, July the 9th. We have good weather this morning though we had quite a rain last evening. There is still some complaints amongst our people and mostly bowel (trouble) complaints.

Wednesday morning, July 10th. Fine weather this morning with the wind to the east. We had quite a wind from the north last evening and but little rain. It is quite cool this morning and fine weather for traveling. There remains some complaints.

Thursday morning, July 11th. We had a storm of wind and rain last night from various points. Com­mencing at the north the wind is to the south west and a little likely for rain this morning. We passed the fork of the south and west prongs of the Platt yesterday. We seem through the blessings of Divine providence to meet with no material misfortune and our health a little improving for which we feel thankful to our Father in Heaven.

Friday morning, July 12th. We have it quite foggy and a little misty this morning. We are camped at or near the lower crossing of the south fork of the Platt. The health of our camps seems a little improving.

Saturday morning, July 13th. Fine pleasant weather this morning for traveling and we have had good roads for several days except a little sand yesterday. The health is still better and our condi­tion first rate with the exception of some lame cattle.

Sunday morning, July the 14th. Quite cool and cloudy this morning and the health of our camps very much improving. Capt. Bennett's company is still in our rear about five or six miles. The government train passed us this morning and we are encamped about 25 miles below the upper crossing of the south fork of the Platt.

Monday morning, July 15th. Cool and pleasant weather this morning and our camps in tolerable health and condition. We lay by yesterday being the sabath and in hopes of the arrival of Capt. Bennett's company. But they were laying by at the same time.

We learn that they have lost one more of their number.

Tuesday morning, July 16th. Beautiful weather this morning and our camps enjoying tolerable health except a child of sister Catherine Webbs who is quite sick at this time. We are encamped 7 miles below where we anticipate the south fork of the Platt. Capt. Bennett's camp is still in our rear.

Wednesday morning, July 17th. This is a beauti­ful morning with the wind to the east. We are this morning through the blessings of Divine Providence all safe on the north bank of the Platt. We had quite a pleasant time for crossing yesterday. The government train also got safe over last evening and are encamped near us. Capt. Bennett's with the 2nd 50 also drove up last evening and are ready this morning for crossing. Sister Webb lost her little (girl) last night. She died with the canker and whooping cough, and is buried at this place. Her name is Phoebe Arabella Webb. She was about 3 years old.

Thursday morning, July 18th. We are this morn­ing in Ash Hollow. Fine weather but very warm. We have nothing of interest more than our camps are through the blessings of Heaven enjoying tolerable health. We have received some intelligence from Capt. Bennett's camps by Capt. Pace who continued at the river yesterday morning to see Capt. Bennett. They were in good condition and crossing.

Friday morning, July 19th. The weather still continues good. We have had some very heavy sand since we crossed the river. Our camps are enjoying tolerable health this morning through the mercies of God. There was 3 persons baptized by brother William Midleton, viz. sister Catherine Webb, for her health, sister Martha Wilcox for her health and remission of sins and sister Webb's daughter Lydia for remission of sins.

Saturday morning, July 20th. Somewhat cool and cloudy this morning after some little thunder and lightning last night. We are this morning a little in advance of the government train and Capt. Evans company. Our camps are enjoying tolerable health and we are blessed with little or no misfor­tunes. There was a meeting called yesterday at noon to see who wished to divide and upon what principles as there seemed to be some 2 or 3 of our number who wished to travel faster but on an investigation there were so few found that was willing to divide that a division could not be affected. Capt. Sessions spoke very lengthy and very much to the purpose of evil consequences that might result from dividing spirits and those inclined to lead off also from excessive driving of lame cattle.

Sunday morning, July 21st. We are encamped on the south bank of the west fork of the Platt oppo­site a pine grove on our left. The government train and Capt. Evans company passed us last evening. Elder Hide passed us yesterday about 10 o'clock on his way to the Great Salt Lake Valley. We had a fine rain last evening but it is quite clear and pleasant this morning.

Monday morning, the 22nd. We are still en-camped at the same place but mustering up this morning for a few days travel. We lay by yesterday for the purpose of resting our teams and to do some washing. We have fine pleasant weather this morning and our company enjoying good health for which we feel thankful to our Heavenly Father for his bless­ings.

Tuesday morning, July the 23rd. Fine weather this morning and our camp's in tolerable condition for traveling and enjoying a reasonable share of health through the blessings of divine Providence.

Wednesday morning, July the 24th. Fine pleasant weather this morning with the wind to the north.

We are encamped on the south bank of the Platt about five miles east of the chimney rock and about 75

miles east of fort Laramie. We have received intelli­gence from Capt. Bennett's company by Samuel Johnston. He states that they are still in good condition and are traveling on. He also states that they have lost in all 14 of their number and most of cholera.

Thursday morning, July 25th. We are still en-camped at the same place. We lay by yesterday it being the 24th of July to celebrate the day in com­memoration of the entering of the pioneers that day three years ago into the valley of the great Salt Lake. Our opportunities of celebrating the day was very limited on this almost barren prairie but we rested our teams as we thought it a righteous act and was well entertained in the evening by an interesting discourse both from Capt. Pace and Capt. Sessions, admonishing the brethern to faithfulness in the discharge of their several duties. The brethren all seemed to meet and part with good feel­ings. We have fine weather but warm in the afternoon. We are enjoying good health through the blessings of Divine Providence.

Friday morning, July 26th. We are encamped

this morning about 5 miles west of the Chimney Rock. We still have fine pleasant weather and our camp's in tolerable health and condition.

Saturday morning, July the 27th. We are en-camped this morning at Scott's Hills or the trading post where we leave the river for about 25 miles travel. We had it quite squally last evening but very little rain. It is very cloudy this morning and likely for rain. Our health continues tolerable good.

Sunday morning, July 28th. We are again en-camped on the Platt Bottom. We had it rainy the most of the day yesterday and quite cool and rainy this Morning. We are about 40 miles below fort Laramie.

Monday morning, July the 29th. We had a little rain yesterday but quite cool and pleasant this morning. We lay by yesterday it being the Sabath to rest our cattle. Capt. Evans' company is camped near us on horse creek. Our camps are enjoying a rea­sonable portion of health through the mercies of God.

Tuesday morning, July the 30th. We are en-camped this morning about 3 miles below a trading post and about 23 miles below fort Laramie. We had considerable hail yesterday but beautiful weather this morning. Capt. Evenses camp is a little in advance of us and Capt. Bennett's company still in our rear. We have tolerable health in our camps this morning.

Wednesday morning, July 31st. We are encamped this morning 10 miles below fort Laramie on a beau­tiful bottom. The weather continues good. We had a birth in our camps last night. Sister Elizabeth Ann Rabel (wife of Henry Rabel) was delivered of a fine daughter and is doing well this morning. We have many Indians and Indian traders around us.

Thursday morning, August the 1st. We are camped this morning near fort Laramie all safe over the Laramie fork and have only lost up to this time out of our camps 4 persons as we have mentioned and three head of cattle. We have fine weather and good health in our camps for which we feel thankful to the giver and preserved of the same.

Friday morning, the 2nd of August. We are en-camped on the south bank of the west fork of the Platt above fort Laramie. We have fine weather with the wind to the north. There is but very little complaint in our camps this morning.

Saturday morning, August the 3rd. We are en-camped on Dead Timber Creek. Capt. Roundy's company is camped near us. He entered the Black Hills yester­day. We have fine weather and our camp's in tolerable health through the tender mercies of God.

Sunday morning, August the 4th. We are en-camped this morning about one mile above Heber Spring. We had it very sandy, rocky and hilly the most of the way yesterday. We still have fine weather.

Monday morning, August the 5th. We still are encamped at the same place as we lay by yesterday. We had a little rain yesterday but fine weather this morning. We are still blessed with tolerable health.

Tuesday morning, August the 6th. We are en-camped this morning on Small Creek where we have good water. We still have good weather and in tole­rable condition.

Wednesday morning, August the 7th. We are en-camped this morning on the La Boute, where we have plenty of creek water. We have had it very rough and rocky the most of the way through the Black Hills. We have nothing of importance this morning.

Thursday morning, August the 8th. We are still encamped on the bank of the La Boute as we lay by yesterday to rest our teams and fit up our wagons. We have some little complaint of sickness in our camps this morning. We still have good weather.

Friday morning, August the 9th. We are still encamped in the Black Hills supposed to be about 25 miles east of Deer Creek. Our camps seem a little improved in health this morning. Brother Midletons division . .

Saturday morning, August the 10th. We are en-camped on the Fauche Boise river 9 miles East of Deer Creek. Our camp is in tolerable health this morning and we still have fine weather.

Sunday morning, August the 11th. We are en-camped this morning on the bank of the north fork

of the Platt near where we descended out of the Black Hills. We had considerable hail yesterday. Our camp is in tolerable health except the whooping cough amongst the children. We have fine weather.

Monday morning, August the 12th. We are en-camped this morning on the south bank of the Platt 2 miles west of Deer Creek. I have nothing of im­portance.

Tuesday morning, August the 13th. We are yet at the same place as we lay by yesterday and had a little rain. We still have not much of interest. Br. Wm. Middleton has lost two of his cattle at this place.

Wednesday morning, August the 14th. We are still here at the same place. Brother R. Cobby has lost one of his cattle. Capt. Pace went to visit Capt. Bennett's company who are encamped on Deer Creek. He finds them all well and in traveling condition.

Thursday morning, August the 15th. We are en-camped on the south bank of Platt 3 1/2 miles west of crooked Muddy Creek. We have not much of inter­est more than our camps are still enjoying good

health through the tender mercies of God. We have found the road much better than we have antici­pated.

Friday morning, August the 16th. We are still encamped at the same place as we lay by yesterday. We have nothing this morning. We have fine weather and good health.

Saturday morning, August the 17th. We are yet here but we expect to leave this morning. Brother Middleton has lost two cattle here and Brother Beck one. Capt. Bennett's company passed us yes­terday and are encamped about four miles above. We still have fine weather and our company enjoy­ing good health.

Sunday morning, August the 18th. We are en-camped on the bank of the Platt near the upper ford and ferry. Capt. Bennett's company crossed last evening and are encamped on the opposite bank. Our camps are in tolerable health and condition and ready this morning for crossing. We had a meeting last night to give some instructions and to settle some little controversies between Capt. Pace and Capt. Sessions as there had been some little mis­understanding between them a few days previous. After some reasoning on both sides I thought the matter seemed settled satisfactorily on both sides. We met the express from the valley yesterday about 10 o'clock 5 miles below this place. It is quite cloudy and likely for rain.

Monday morning, August the 19th. We are safe over the Platt and encamped on the river about 2 miles above the ferry where we have but little feed for our cattle and have a severe storm of cold wind and rain ever since last evening and still contin­ues.

This is the last entry, but it gives a bit about how they fared on the way across the plains. There is an entry for every day. You will notice that he writes in the morning, probably because it would be late in the evening before he could get at it, then it would be too dark. In his party there would have been himself, his wife, six children ranging in age from eight to nineteen years, and six colored servants ranging in age from fourteen to forty years. That would make 14 people, and they would have had to carry all their furni­ture, provisions, bedding, clothing, etc. John H. Redd and family had moved before, and they knew there were no stores nor markets out in the West, and if they wanted anything they would have to bring it with them. So they did.

(In regard to this, I remember when we moved to Canada, father had been up there and met a family he had known be-fore, John Adams from Cedar City. Sister Adams told him: "Brother Redd, bring all you've got; don't leave anything. Even bring your swill bucket.")

In the New West

We don't know how long the Redds stayed in Salt Lake City when they arrived in Utah, but I don't imagine it was for long, and I imagine they were tired of camping. By winter they were in Spanish Fork area. They must have been anxious to get settled after that long, long trek.

Elisha Warner's History of Spanish Fork says (page 31): "During the winter of 1850 John Holt, John H. Redd and William Pace and two other men named Patrick and Glenn settled about a mile above the present site of Spanish Fork. . Mr. Redd was the owner of a number of Negro slaves which he used in his farming operation."

And I can imagine that in Spanish Fork they camped for months while they found a place and materials to build a house. The house was built of squared logs which were brought down from the mountain and cut into a square shape with an axe. It certainly was about the same as most log houses, one or two front rooms and a lean-to on the back. It had an attic with a stairway going up from the outside. This stair-way was against the house and was narrow and steep, somewhere between a modern stairway and a ladder. I imagine the attic was low. An outside stairway might have been convenient and practical in the South, but in the West where there was snow it would be very upsetting at times.

John H. Redd was very lucky to arrive in the valley with his whole family intact. Many were not so fortunate. They saw graves scattered all along the way, hundreds of them. Even so, he couldn't keep his family for long. I guess they started to build their house and to make a good home as soon as they arrived at Spanish Fork. I have a little account book of John H. Redd's, and early in January of 1851 he listed items he was using in the construction of his sawmill at Spanish Fork.

In the History of Spanish Fork it says they organized a ward there on March 10, 1851, with Stephen Markham as presi­dent and John Holt and John H. Redd as his counselors. William Pace was bishop, and John W. Berry and Lorin Roundy were his counselors. They had this type of double organiza­tion in many early wards. Some say that is the proper way. The president looks after the spiritual affairs of the members, and the bishop has the care of the temporal matters. In such an arrangement the bishop needs only the Aaronic Priesthood. They soon combined the two functions, and the bishop, holding the higher priesthood, can manage both.

Albert King Thurber, who at one time was in the bishop­ric there, writes: "In the fall of 1851 I moved to Spanish Fork which was called a desert. There were four families some three miles above: John H. Redd, William Pace, John Holt and Charles Furguson. The first Militia meeting being near J. H. Redd's."

That same spring, 1851, they planted crops and reaped a harvest. All seemed to be going well. Mary Catherine took sick and asked for her brother, Lemuel, the next younger than she. He must have been her special pal. But Lemuel was out in the field plowing, and father thought he'd better finish the day there; she could see him in the evening when he came in. She continued to call and to coax for him, but to no avail. She died before the evening, May 5, 1851, so he didn't get to talk to her or to see her alive. Father and son both felt the heartache. Her death was the first loss in the fami­ly, but it would not be the last.

Ann Elizabeth Redd married Harvey Alexander Pace on August 28, 1853, and Lemuel H. Redd married Keziah Jane Butler, the daughter of John Lowe Butler and Caroline Faro­zine Skeen, on January 2, 1856. That left John Hardison Redd at home with only his youngest child, Benjamin, age fourteen. The family had been in Utah only about five and a half years.

In February of 1856 the Spanish Fork Ward record reports: "John H. Redd was appointed a mission to Las Vegas but did not go, but fitted out his son Lemuel H. who with

his wife went in contemplation of having his father follow in the fall."

However, the mission was discontinued and so John Redd did not go to Las Vegas, and Lemuel returned to Spanish Fork. John wrote a letter to his son while Lemuel was in Las Vegas:

Spanish Fork City Utah County and Utah Terri­tory August the 1st 1856

Dear son and daughter---

With pleasure and interest I embrace the oppor­tunity of advising you with a few lines. My reason for not writing sooner I was waiting for you to write that I might know what to communicate. I re­ceived your letter of the ninth of June last Sunday night the contents of which has been noticed with no small interest. I am happy to hear that you are both well but truly sorry to learn that you are not satisfied. I do not wish you to remain there any longer than you can help if you are not satisfied. I have done the very best in my power to take care of what you left behind. I have let nothing go except your table and two pigs. I let sister Butler have one and I give one pig and one bushel of wheat for harvesting your faul wheat. The man who took the job had rather a hard bargain. It took him about five days faithful work with a hook to save it amongst the sunflowers. The grasshoppers injured your wheat some but the sunflowers have been most destructive. They have destroyed much of my faul wheat. I have had to hire all the time. We are just through with our faul wheat and oats and will have to commence on our spring wheat about Monday. Our crops are quite light and it is thought that bread stuff will be remarkably scarce, it has been one of the most trying times that this people ever had to pass through and we fear that it will be no better the ensuing year if the people do not begin to save in time. The word salvation are taught from every stand which fully means a saving principle. Without that there is no salvation, remember my dear children and be wise and economical as your father has been before you and you may rely my son and daughter with confidence that your father will take the best care in his power for your temporal and eternal welfare--

I wish to hear from you often that I may know how to manage your concerns and keep things in

This sounds as if the blacks are living near. In the South they always had separate little houses out at the back for the slaves and later for the black helpers, and I sup-pose it was still the same in Utah.

John H. Redd married Mary Lewis in the summer of 1856. She was born November 22, 1839, in Alsmorgan, Wales, the daughter of John A. Lewis and Ann John. She was 16, nearly 17, and he was 57, nearly 58. Their baby, Mary Ann Redd, was born August 28, 1857, at five minutes before 11:00 p.m.

I visited Salt Lake City in April, 1918, especially to see Uncle Lem and tell him what I had learned in the South. He could tell me nothing more, but he advised me to go to Spanish Fork and talk to Louise Pace, the wife of Franklin Pace. She was a foster sister of Mary Lewis, so I went. I had a long talk with her, and she said that Mary was an "old man's darling." She had no work to do that she didn't want to do. Those Negro mammies did it all -- took care of the baby and "petted" Mary. I guess they vied with each other to gain her favor. I asked Louise if she knew any-thing about the Redd's claim of being French. (Grandpa used to say that he was of French descent.)

She said: "Oh, yes. He was French.. We used to call him 'Old John Redd, the Frenchman.' He was a little, dark, dandy type of man, just like a Frenchman:"

Leland Redd visited with Jessie Hardison when he was down in North Carolina, and on March 30, 1954, he wrote in a letter: "When Jessie Hardison was asked about what nation­ality he was, he said that the Hardisons were of the opinion and belief that they were of English and French descent."

John H. Redd's grandfather was John Hardison, and his grandmother was Ann. There were many French people in North Carolina in the early colonial days, and this "Ann" could have been French. We do not know her maiden name or any of her connections.

Whatever his nationality, John H. Redd was a good Latter-day Saint and a good father. And the fifth and sixth days of January, 1858, were very important days for John H. Redd and his son, Lemuel Hardison Redd. We can only guess why they did as they did on those days, but the record of their activities is clear. They went to the county clerk's office in Provo. They went with a purpose, and they had probably planned their action carefully and definitely be-fore they left home. On the fifth of January, John Hardison Redd deeded a corner of twenty acres of his own field to his son, Lemuel Hardison Redd. The transaction is recorded in Utah County Deed book E, page 237:

Of course, the two men must have stayed all night in Provo, because they could not have made the round trip in one day by slow ox team. Where did they stay? They could have stayed in the community "Camp Ground." It was common for all such cities to have a campground, and in later years they even had a house there with a fireplace in it, also for the use of campers. And as we know, the Redds were used to camping.

John H. Redd entered the United Order between five and six months before he died. He did not have time to raise a crop under the Order, but he was converted to the idea and accepted it with full purpose of heart, just as he had accepted all the rest of the gospel.

John H. Redd was kicked by a horse, an accident which eventually caused his death. They sent to Salt Lake City for a doctor to care for John; the doctor was a Frenchman. When the doctor arrived he had a big scar on the side of his face which pulled his mouth over to one side. It fascinated Louise, who was then about twelve years old. She said she stood in the doorway while the doctor was looking at John H., who was on the bed. The doctor's back was turned toward Louise, and she attempted to pull her own mouth to one side like the doctor's mouth. The doctor turned and caught her at it. She never forgot how embarrassed she was about it.

John Hardison Redd died June 15, 1858, at Spanish Fork, and he was buried in the upper graveyard with the other members of his family. It was sometimes called the Redd graveyard, but now it is designated as the "Pioneer Grave-Yard."

Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel, 1847–1868

Redd, John Hardison

Birth Date: 27 Dec. 1799; Death Date: 15 June 1858; Gender: Male Age: 50; Company: James Pace Company (1850)

Pioneer Information: Six slaves also traveled with him.


John Hardison Redd was born on December 27, 1799 at Snead's Ferry, Stump Sound, Onslow, North Carolina to Whittaker Redd 11 and Elizabeth Harrison or Hardeison. He married Elizabeth Hancock March 2 1826 at Sneads Ferry, Stump Sound, Onslow, North Carolina. To this union 9 children were born Harriet, Edward Ward. Ann Moriah, Ann Elizabeth, Mary Catherine, Lemual Hardison, John Holt, Benjemin Reed, Mary Catherine.

John was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints on 17 June 1843 John was kicked by a horse and never recoved. John Hardison Redd died 19 July 1928 at Spanish Fork, Utah, Utah.

view all 16

John Hardison Redd's Timeline

December 27, 1799
Stump Sound, Onslow County, North Carolina, United States
Sneads Ferry, Onslow County, North Carolina, United States
January 31, 1828
Sneads Ferry, Onslow County, North Carolina, United States
July 26, 1830
Sneads Ferry, Onslow County, North Carolina, United States
October 18, 1831
Onslow County, North Carolina, United States
December 16, 1831
Sneads Ferry, Onslow County, North Carolina, United States
January 4, 1834
Sneads Ferry, Onslow County, North Carolina, United States
July 31, 1836
Sneads Ferry, Onslow County, NC, United States
June 13, 1838
Sneads Ferry, Onslow County, North Carolina, United States