James Addison Bean

Is your surname Bean?

Research the Bean family

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Related Projects

James Addison Bean

Birthplace: Elkton, Christian, Kentucky, United States
Death: June 29, 1882 (78)
Provo, Utah County, UT, United States
Place of Burial: Provo, Utah County, Utah, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of William Collins Bean, III and Anna Edwards
Husband of Elizabeth Bean; Amella Huntington Jarvis; Elizabeth Benedikte Andersdotter Rosequist and Hedvig Maria Stormfelt
Father of William Bean; Nancy Decker; Sarah Ann Casper; George Washington Bean; James Addison Bean and 2 others
Brother of Mary "Polly" Ann Bean; Garrett Bean and William Collins Bean
Half brother of Esaias Edwards and Armilda Miller

Managed by: Francis Gene Dellinger
Last Updated:

About James Addison Bean

grave http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=7569942

Early in 1849, 30 to 35 families, numbering 150 persons, were called to go south from Salt Lake into Provo Valley to settle the area. James Bean was among those called by President Brigham Young. This initial group was placed under the direction of John S. Higbee and was composed mostly of men and boys. Alexander Williams, who taught the Gospel to the Bean's in Illinois, was among these first settlers. The land to be settled was near Utah Lake, and unknown to the would-be settlers, it was the traditional fishing and hunting ground for the Timpanogos Indians. On April 1, 1849, this advance group was met by an Indian as they came into the valley and within about three miles of Provo River. He would not let them pass until after they had a great discussion. While the Indian went back to get other Indians, the Mormons stopped and made camp. James Bean and his sons, George W. and James A., caught a fat crane which they stewed for supper to celebrate George's birthday.

After getting an agreement from the Indians, the settlers decided to settle on the south side of the river. In early May the rest of the group (wives and children along with others) came, bringing their farming implements, provisions, seed, forty teams and other livestock, which consisted mostly of oxen, cows and a few more horses. They were instructed to settle quietly in the valley, be cautious and patient with the Indians and to live with them in peace.

A fort was built immediately to provide housing and protection for the new settlers. A six-pounder cannon was later installed on a bastion within the fort. This structure "measured 20 by 40 rods, it was rectangular in shape and consisted of individual log houses built just a few feet apart, with entrances facing the center. Between the houses tall pickets fourteen feet high that were imbedded into the ground fashioned a sturdy outside wall to protect the settlers. In each house were two cloth covered windows. Entrance gates were located at both the west end and the southeast corner of the fort. In one corner was a corral where the cattle were kept at night. Within the corral was a guard house. The box elder logs used for construction came from an island where the river made a fork.

By the middle of May, when the fort was completed, the people laid out 225 acres of land and apportioned it to the families. James Bean took squatters rights on property up the river a mile or so and north of the river ford. Plans to provide irrigation for gardens and crops were formulated almost immediately. George W. is reported to have dug the very first irrigation ditch at this time. The land was turned over with crude plows and seeds were planted. Although it was springtime the settlers had great difficulty. Heavy spring snowfall on the 23 of May followed by a severe frost worked against them. And while they were waiting for their wheat to sprout they were cut off from the Salt Lake Valley by extremely high waters in the Provo River. It was almost a year before crops got a good start. Needless to say, there were some hungry times for those early colonizers.

Though the site selected for the original fort where the Provo River and a small stream flowing southward afforded them protection from the swarms of "Mormon" crickets infesting the northern bench lands, they soon found that the annual spring flooding of the Provo River, inundated their grain fields. Early and late frosts plagued the growth of the crops.

On March 18, 1849, the little colony was organized as a branch of the Church having Elder Orson Hyde as President and Isaac Higbee and Dimick B. Huntington as counselors.

"It being Sabbath on the 27 May, the settlers commenced the administration of re-baptism into the Church in conformity with the example set by the parent colony on the arrival of the pioneers in the Great Salt Lake Valley, and generally followed in the various colonies founded. This action, of course, was ecclesiastical in its nature, but had a civil function as well. "It must be remembered that the whole scheme of colonization had its origin in the Latter-day-Saint Church, and that the regular ecclesiastical organizations were made to function in civil capacity in the various settlements until city charters were granted by the Legislature. The re-baptism of the Provo settlers, therefore, was not a religious reformation among the people but an ecclesiastical method of bringing the new colony under perfect organizations politically as well as religiously."

By July, the first harvesting of the wheat began with Captain Peter W. Conover being the first. He took it to Salt Lake City to be milled at the grist mill at Mill Creek. This made possible the first bread making in some time and was greatly relished.

There was a remarkable feature that attended this first grain harvest. About an hour after the grain had been cut, a heavy fall rain occurred, lasting two hours. Then it cleared up suddenly and the sun came out bright and clear. The rain and sunshine caused the grain seed that had fallen to the ground, to sprout again and a second crop was raised that year. (

Precarious but peaceable relations were maintained with the Indians until about August, of this first year. One of the objectives of sending colonizations into Utah Valley was to "teach the Indians civilization" said Brigham Young. He proposed to educate them, teach them to produce crops of grain and to treat them kindly and help them when help was needed. One major problem in dealing with the Indians was of a continuing shift of attitudes toward the settlers. At times they were friendly. In fact the young people of both races played games and enjoyed competitive horse-racing. Even Chief Walker, invited the Mormons to move southward into Utah Valley. Temporarily the Indians would appear peaceful, but suddenly a distinct attitude changed this friendliness to vicious fighting.

One incident, and there were others similar to this, then occurred which would eventually lead to the Indian War between the settlers and the Indians which lasting from 1850 to 1855 when Chief Walker died. A Peace Treaty was made between Chief Walker and Brigham Young in 1954 but skirmishes continued until the Chief's death. This story was later related to Brigham Young by James Bean though he was not a participant, so we follow the account given by our progenitor.

Richard A. Ivie, Rufus Stoddard, and Jerome Zabriskie met an Indian in the fields who was called "Old Bishop." Ivie noticed that the Indian was sporting a "hickory shirt" -- and claimed that it was his and demanded it back. The Indian refused and the argument led to a struggle. The old Indian, to defend himself, took his bow in hand, only to be shot dead by Stoddard.

Nervous about the consequences, the white men dragged the body of the Indian to the Provo River, disemboweled him and loaded him down with rocks to sink him, near Box Elder Island. The Indians, missing Old Bishop, discovered the body, and knew that the white men were involved. They began to retaliate by stealing from the settlers and killing their cattle and horses. The settlers then banned the Indians from the settlement. Tensions accelerated. Guards were posted at night and armed herdsman on horseback kept the stock by day.

As a post script to the murder, the Indians say that annually on the anniversary of his death, Old Bishop appears on the banks of the river, and slowly takes the rocks one by one out of his bowels and throws them into the river, then disappears for another year. Brigham Young recorded in his journal that "some fishermen have watched in hopes of having an interview with Old Bishop's ghost."

While these problems were occurring, James Bean was working on his farm and building a double log cabin, the first to be built outside the fort. It faced the river. "Logs were cut in Provo Canyon floated down the stream and snaked off gravel bars with oxen. The thrifty settlers permitted no waste. The bark was peeled from the cottonwood logs and sent to the tannery. The demand for shoes exceeded the supply, and it became necessary to turn out half-tanned leather, which expanded in wet weather and shrank uncomfortably in dry. They matched well with the buckskin trousers frequently worn, and the socks made from old wagon covers." Gradually as time went on more permanent shelters for homes were made from adobe bricks.

James Bean and the Clark's were the first to put the proposed irrigation plan into effect. They tapped the Provo River and dug the second irrigation ditch as George is reported to have dug the first earlier. This latter was known as the "Bean ditch". "The sisters made about all the clothing there was to be had; carding, spinning and weaving all done by hand and every improvement was a blessing, no finishing machines except the ladies fingers."

Trading was done with emigrants passing through on their way to California proved to be a blessing in many regards as they brought with them goods and supplies not yet prevalent or even available in the settlement. "Although these emigrants had enriched the colony to some extent, poverty was still their bedfellow.

Oliver B. Huntington tells of one elder called from the congregation to speak who had on neither coat, shoes or socks, and he spoke with much power of the Holy Spirit. We felt it no shame because it was the best we could do...I went to dances in private houses where there was no floor but the ground, and no splendor but bright cheerful, honest faces. We needed no money then to pay extravagant fiddler bills. We could pay for our admission to a party in wheat, flour, oats, corn, potatoes, squashes, molasses, beets or anything the people wanted to eat or wear. In those days we all met on a level and parted on the square. We never heard of burglaries, hold-ups or suicides. We never had heard or thought of bankruptcy or gambling in stocks."

A militia was organized and Brigham Young called Orrin Porter Rockwell and George W. Bean to go on a mission of peace and friendship to the Indians. But, these actions did not permanently alleviate the problems.

By September, President Brigham Young came to visit and decided that a new fort where the present Sowiette Park is now located (on fifth north and fifth west in Provo) was chosen and begun. A square mile to form the heart of the city was also chosen. Blocks of four acres each were surveyed and platted and these were divided into eight lots of half an acre each reserving the center block of four acres for a chapel and school house. The streets were to be five rods wide. James Bean's lots were numbers 112 and 113 on the north end just inside where the mud wall was later constructed. Sowiette was an Indian who befriended the settlers on numerous occasions against the actions of Chief Walker and his braves.

A terrible accident occurred in the fort on 1 September, 1849. A man named William Dayton was killed while young George Bean was temporarily blinded. His left arm was horribly mangled and amputated just three and a half inches below the elbow. The two men were loading up the cannon and shooting it without being as careful as they should have been. As a result the cannon blew up. So many slivers were recovered from George's body that over two hundred were counted and saved in a fruit jar. He suffered great pain and later wondered how he ever stood it. Beef tea was his nourishment because he could not chew. His eyes and face were completely scabbed over and he could not see. Mother Bean cared for him as best she could, doing everything possible to ease his pain and give him comfort. The doctor visited daily. Faithful friends came by and Priesthood blessings were given. The days were long and the nights even longer as every inch of his body suffered. He prayed so hard to die. The future looked pretty dark.

About three weeks after the accident, three Prophets of the Lord came to the Bean home, President Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball and Willard Richards. After visiting with mother Bean while James was changing from his farm clothes, the three brethren laid their hands upon George's head and pronounced a special healing blessing upon this eighteen year old young man. The next day the scales fell from his eyes and he saw the glorious light. He felt that his life had been spared for some righteous purpose.

The Bean family was affected spiritually and emotionally by this experience. Their faith was strengthened and vindicated after all they had done. Many tears of rejoicing were shed by Mother Bean, and her heart, which had agonized for her suffering son, over long weeks, as she ministered to his needs, was now filled with great thanksgiving. It was a happy father who witnessed his son returning to his normal self.

"Through these times of hard work and troubled relations with the Indians, life went on. They continued to work, farm, eat and socialize. They even held parties. Occasionally without shoes, they gathered on the dirt floors of private homes to enjoy rousing dances. For lights they stuck their knives between the chinks of the logs in the cabin walls and placed candles on the knives. Someone always had a fiddle handy and there was gay laughter, music and good fellowship."

Snow fell in Provo in the winter of 1849-50 nearly two feet deep and stayed late. Men had to go down in the bottoms below the fort and shovel the snow into piles and leave bare spots so that stock could forage for food. A guard was necessary while they worked and each night the cattle had to be corralled for safeties sake.

On 31 January 1850, the general assembly of Deseret named the community for the first time "Provo", and declared the town to be the county seat of the newly created Utah County. Indian problems continued to get more serious. Although some of them spent time with George teaching him the Indian language during his recovery, by January 1850, skirmishes between the Indians and settlers were becoming more and more frequent. The first big fight resulted in one man being killed and several more wounded.

Survival of the Fort Utah Settlement was very important because it demonstrated the practicality of colonization of the rest of Utah Valley. The Bean's and Cluff's settled on the river north above town as also did the Barnes. James and sons had partially built a log house on this property which was later bought by James Addison from his father. It was about a quarter of a mile north and east of the bridge over the river. The Indians at one time got control of this house which gave them an advantage. Several of the Saints were killed or wounded in this skirmish. A canon ball through the Bean cabin routed the Indians who left when night came, leaving the cabin in ruin.

As spring progressed the fort, stockade and log houses were moved to drier ground. This first area had been too wet. By the end of the year the second fort was completed and was able to accommodate the increase in population.

In the spring of 1851, Provo City was organized, and in April, officers were appointed, with James Bean appointed as supervisor of streets and his son George as recorder. The first Ordinance enacted by the first Session of the City Council set forth that every able bodied male citizen over the age of eighteen residing within the limits of the city should work one day on the public roads when called on by the supervisor provided that he did not call upon any one man more than two days in any one year. The penalty for refusal was the payment of a $2 fine.

During this time James Bean was improving his farm and built a new cabin. George taught school in the Bean home in the fort. A sawmill and a grist mill were now in operation. A Census was taken which showed that in Utah County there were 1125 males, 880 females, a total of 2095 persons living in the valley. In March of this year James Bean served on the Grand Jury.

The family of William McKee Fausett arrived in Provo and settled by the river, calling their place "Fausett Field". The story of this family will fit into the Bean story when a faced-daughter becomes the wife of James Addison. We only have minute glimpses of the rest of the life of James Bean. On 19 May 1852, James and his son, James Addison, along with others subscribed to a proposition to bring George A. Smith to live in Provo, in order to have a General Authority in their midst.

"To the Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day-Saints:

Your petitioners doth humbly pray that the Presidency may take into consideration the propriety of some different regulations at this Stake of Zion, that the place may be built up. With the present regulations it seems to be at a dead stand, for we truly feel as if we had not the encouragement necessary to build public buildings or even private ones, for we consider that those who should be foremost in building up the place, have deserted us and moved out of the city to make them fine farms, etc.

Of the Church Authorities not one single one lives in the city but Bishop Blackburn is building, so there is a prospect of one. Of the city authorities out of fifteen, there are two aldermen and three counselors in the city and of policeman five only live in the city out of fifteen. Post office among the missing. Your petitioners are desirous for the welfare of this place and felt in duty bound to ask you to take into consideration our circumstances, and if it is consistent we would be heartily glad if George A. Smith could be appointed to take the lead of matters here, and if so we feel sanguine in the belief that it would meet with a universal approbation, and we feel disposed to contribute liberally towards building him a house and other improvements provided that he would come here. The matter is submitted to your honors and we humbly beseech you to take such steps as you think expedient and your petitioners will ever pray."

In 1852 Provo boasted of having two hotels, a school house, two small forts, two grist mills, a pottery, three cabinet shops, a sash factory, a wooden bowl factory, three shoemakers, two tailor shops, a meat market, two stores and two lime kilns.

In July Brigham Young and three apostles come to the city to organize the city into five wards. On August 5, James was called to be a counselor to Bishop of the newly organized Provo Fifth Ward. He was ordained a High Priest on 15 August by George A. Smith. The new ward encompassed a farming district lying north of the Provo City survey and extending eastward to the mountains and west to the river. In 1853 this area was vacated on account of Indian trouble and the ward was absorbed into the Fourth Ward under Bishop William M. Wall.

A tithing record was kept from the beginning. Each man's property was inventoried and appraised. Then one tenth of that value was charged. Most people responded by giving something, such as cows, steers, etc. James Bean gave a yoke of oxen valued at $80.00. His name continued to appear regularly on the Tithing roll of the Fourth Ward through the succeeding years. The winter of 1852-3 was a hard one again but people had better shelter, wood was handy and there was food to eat. The following is given as an example of the prices of articles about this time: ordinary cook stove $75 - $150, glass ice box $30-36, letter paper $100 per quire, shirting 30c a yard, Kentucky jeans $1.25, cotton flannel 40 cents, calico 25-50 cents, wheat $1.00 bushel.

During the spring and summer the war with Indian Chief Walker of the Ute tribe continued off and on. James Bean served as an interpreter in some of the conferences with the Indians as did his sons George W. and James Addison. "Two events took place in 1853 which greatly excited the Indians and hostilities worsened. One time, a group of Indians came begging for some food from Mrs. Young and threatened her with a gun. The Indian holding the gun accidently shot one of his own companions, and the Indians ascribed the deed to the whites.

"In the second incident, an Indian squaw approached James Ivie at his house and asked him to give her some flour in exchange for some fish. As they were trading, the squaw's husband, in company with some others, rode up to them. Angry with his woman either for trading with the white man at all, or for not getting a good bargain, he lashed out at her, beating and kicking her. Ivie tried to stop him, which made an accompanying Indian angry enough to draw out his bow and arrow. Ivie grabbed the arrow and hit the Indian on the head with his gun. Ivie's blow was fatal, for later the Indian died in camp. Although the whites had tried to make peace with gifts, Walker's Indians were very angry. On July 18, they killed a guard at Fort Payson which caused a full blown war with the settlers.

"A letter from Brigham Young to Chief Walker tried to dissuade him, "I send you some tobacco to smoke in the mountains when you get lonesome. You are a fool for fighting your best friends, for we are the best friends, and the only friends, that you have in the world. Everybody else would kill you if they could get a chance." The fighting mushroomed into the fall.

In Provo one of the most belligerent Indians was one named Squash who claimed that his brother had been buried by the people without Indian traditions. Angry, Squash demanded payment in blankets and cattle. Not being able to pay him right away, the settlers tried to appease him but he would not be appeased. The Indians were angry when the settlers put Squash in prison, where he died shortly afterward. Some say that a guard killed him. Some believe he killed himself."

Isaac Baum, a cousin of George's, had this to say about George W. and the influence he had with the Indians: "Lieutenant Colonel George W. Bean was one of the most honorable men I ever knew. The Indians knew it and always called for 'Poorets' to interpret when any trouble arose. 'He talks straight', they said, with their appropriate gesture. I was with him in Springville when Chief Walker declared War. George with Bishop Johnson and A.K.Thurber, pled with the Indians for days, or there never would have been a Government official to tell a biased story or an Indian to sign a treaty with them."

As a result of the Walker War a large mud wall was begun around the City of Provo, it being six feet at the base and two feet at the top and to be twelve feet high. This was to give better protection to the inhabitants of the city limits against Indian tirades and such. This was a heavy tax on the citizens and as the fighting died down, progress was slow. It was never completely finished.

This year James was again called to serve as counselor to Bishop Faced who had replaced Bishop Wall of the Fourth Ward. Isaac Baum was the other counselor. Bishop Wall had been called on a mission overseas. James served until 1857 when he was released because of poor health. George W. Bean served as Ward Clerk. It was while serving in this capacity that he became acquainted with Elizabeth Baum, who would become his future wife.

The Fourth Ward had no regular meeting place until 1860. They assembled in boweries or arbors in the summer and in private homes in the winter. The ward consisted of 37 Seventies, 23 High Priest, 20 Elders, 8 Priests, 7 teachers, 167 members at this time. Three members were on missions.

Two joyful occasions occurred for the Bean family in 1853. On the 6 January, George Washington took for a bride, Elizabeth Baum and on February 10, James Addison and Harriet Catherine Faced, daughter of Bishop Faced, were married by George A. Smith in Provo.

Following is a description of a marriage in Provo by George W. "On one occasion I sallied forth to witness solemnization of the marriage nuptials; when I arrived the major part of the guests were there and all were in breathless expectation of the arrival of the minister, who was to perform the ceremony. At precisely seven minutes past two, himself and lady made their appearance, the loving couple stood up and were made one in the holy bands of wedlock, and then such kissing. Oh! it was enough to set a fellows mouth all in a pucker. And then came on the supper the tables loaded down with pies, cakes, sweetmeats and all kinds of luxury after stuffing and cramming our stomachs, and pockets, a little before sundown we adjourned to our several homes leaving the young and blushing bride and her mate to enjoy the sweets of cannubial bliss that fall to their lot in this world of trouble."

Brigham Young makes a peace treaty with Chief Walker in the Spring of 1854 which eased the problems with the Indians. It took the death of the Chief the next year before real peace was possible. Many lives had been lost on both sides.

March 2, James was a member of one of the Seventies Quorum.

"A relief train consisting of ox teams and provision was sent to the immigrating saints on the plains under the direction of Andrew Jensen. Much suffering especially in the Scandinavian company, on account of the loss of their oxen was found. They were given 100 sacks of flour which had been donated from Provo Valley." The grasshopper plague was bad this year.

April 6, 1855 James Addison and George Washington Bean accept calls to go to Las Vegas on missions. The object of which was to teach the Indians the blessings of peace and industry, honesty, and kindred principles. This meant leaving their wives of two years and a young child each. James Addison's wife was also expecting her second child.

As an example of how the men called on missions tried to provide for their families in their absence is that of George W. who relates that he bought up a bin full of wheat and some land for his wife before leaving on his mission to Las Vegas. They had several cows and some cash so he felt he could leave, knowing that they would be well taken care of.

"Spring opened under more favorable circumstances; still many of he saints went without the comforts of life. Provisions were very high. Sugar, for instance, was worth a dollar a pound. In August a memorable blessing was given to the people of the city, in the shape of a hard white substance found upon the leaves of the young cottonwood trees. They shook off this substance, which was very sweet, into tubs of water and boiled it down, without process, when it congealed into sugar, about the color of our common brown sugar. The saints of Provo made between 3-4 thousand pounds of this kind of sugar. They considered it a gift from God and they freely paid tithing on it. Brigham Young who received some 333 pounds of this sugar at the tithing office declared it sugar from the Lord.

The grasshoppers were bad in 1854, and were overwhelming in 1855. The sky was literally black with insects. After devouring the first crops, they seemed to simply wait until the people planted again, and then returned to devour the second crop. Women and children took blankets and tablecloths out into the fields and beat the grain to save just a little for themselves.

George A. Smith reported: "About two thirds of the grain in Utah County is destroyed and a large black bug is devouring the potatoes. All farms south are nearly a desert. Nevertheless he reflected a little later; It is good there is something to try the Saints or the sieve would not have its cleansing effect as it now does." Another historian reports that in addition to the grasshopper scourge the bitter cold and high drifting snows of the winter completed the work of devastation. Cattle everywhere died of cold and starvation.

Many stories of those times are told by persons living in the City:

"John E. Milner had put his city lot in wheat and fowls played on it until it looked as if they would take it all, and it was a question of whether they should be killed. I fancy I hear someone say, why were they not shut up? The reply would be that they would starve to death, for when people have scarcely anything for themselves you may depend upon it there is not much for chickens. The grasshopper came again and lo the chickens, by eating goodly numbers and frightening off others, saved quite a portion of the crop of wheat. You may be sure that crop was well garnered: the cradle, the sickle and the gleaners saved it. When thrashed, it was taken to mill with foresight. The flour carefully put in a box and the box was locked, the key put in Mr. Milner's pocket. That precious chest was carefully watched and every morning the days short rations taken out. "Many people besides the Milner family received bounties from that treasury. When solicitations were made they were modest ones and limited to just enough flour to hold the bran together.

"One day Brother Milner was away from home, the key in his pocket. Thomas Hickins family had a sick boy. His sister Lizzie went to the Milner home on behalf of the boy and asked for a few spoonfuls of flour to make a little gruel for him. The days rations had been used. The box was locked. Sister Milner was able to give sympathy only. Lizzie, disappointed, with tears in her eyes, remarked: "Oh, how I wish I could get in that box." Then hit the lid a smart blow with her hand, when lo the lid flew open, quickly she dipped the little bucket in the flour and hastily ran home, made the boy his gruel and the little fellow got well.

"The next morning at ration time Brother Milner produced his key and unlocked the box. At once he detected the marks of the bucket and demanded an explanation. It was satisfactorily given. Finally barley harvest came and with it relief. Brother Milner assures me that he is satisfied that more flour came out of that box than he ever put in it."

On the 27 December, Mary Elizabeth, last living daughter of James and Elizabeth Bean, was married to Amos Whitcomb Haws of Provo. They made their home in the city.

Perhaps the Church leaders felt that a re-dedication to the Lord would help to improve the trying circumstances. They initiate a new reformation in the hopes of inciting the people to live a more disciplined and religious way of life. A time of consecration took place. In January of 1856, James and Elizabeth consecrated their property to the Church. This included all property in Lots 3, 4, 5, 7 and 8 of Provo Survey, one span horse, two wagons and harnesses, five cows, five heifers, two pigs, farming tools, $18 cash on hand, 30 bushels of wheat and corn, household furniture, beds, bedding. Total Value $1,494.00.

Because news had arrived from the south that Nancy Bean Decker was quite ill, Elizabeth Bean decided in February 1856 to travel with the Brigham Young train heading in that direction to visit her daughter. She lived in Parowan, Iron County, Utah. The loving care of mother Bean and the blessings of the brethren bought about her recovery.

At the October Conference of 1856, President Young called for teams and men to go out to meet the Handcart Companies. This call met with ready response in the valley. Hundreds of men and teams took flour and food, etc. to them. In November Mr. Follet and George W. took a four-mule team to Salt Lake City and helped bring one hundred forty one of the sick and frozen emigrants to Provo where they stayed with the members until they could go it alone. Many came with frozen feet and hands, hungry and destitute. As an example of the care rendered, George W. opened his home to a man who lived with them for some time. The saints of the two cities, Provo and Salt Lake City, had difficulty sustaining them however, because of two bad years of crops and the scarcity of supplies. It is to their credit though that they helped where they could in sharing what little they had.

A typical story is that of Samuel Jones' wife, who for lunch one day brought him a small piece of bacon and some greens, the promised bread missing. When he asked her about it, she burst into tears, admitting she had been so hungry she had eaten it on the way. The young couple cried together in each others arms.

The spring of 1857 brought a call for further reformation after repentance and re-baptism. Forgiveness was exercised and notwithstanding their many afflictions, there was a joyous feeling among the people.

A bounteous harvest brought rejoicing - though food was plentiful, clothing was scarce. Many a petticoat was cut up to make a solders jacket for the company of men called to go to Echo Canyon to meet the U.S. Forces. The severity of the winter caused undue suffering for the soldiers also.

During 1857 and 58, about 30,000 people from the Salt Lake Valley came to Utah County and Provo before the coming of Johnson's Army. Many took refuge in the local homes; a large tent was set up in the center of the public square in Provo where Brigham Young and others kept offices and a storehouse. When the summer became hot, the water grew bad, and the crowded quarters became uncomfortable.

A Mr. Farr writes, ".....we had to dig holes to get water, and the people began to complain of sickness. The feed had also been all eaten off by the cattle, our cows dried up, flies were very bad tormenting our cattle, and it was with great difficulty that we controlled our stock from running off."

By the 30 June 1858, Brigham Young had finished negotiations with the Army and the people were able to return to Salt Lake City. Provo Canyon road was built this year at the cost of nearly $20,000. James A. Bean had a $1000 contract to aid in the opening of that road.

Nancy Bean Decker and young son, Zechariah Bruyn Decker, Jr. made a trip to Provo and Elizabeth Lewis Bean accompanied them on to Salt Lake City where they all attended General Conference along with the Casper's. Young Zechariah was only eight years old at the time but drove the team from Parowan to Provo. On the way they camped overnight at the Sevier River Bridge where Indians sometimes stole things. Just two months earlier three men had been killed just a little north of there. Nancy was very wakeful and about three or four o'clock in the morning, their horses came to camp on the run, hobbled with chain hobbles and snorting furiously. This commotion awakened the whole camp consisting of about sixteen other people. They were all out and soon on their way before the sun arose.

In 1860 Provo Fourth Ward School house was built and was used for church until 1866 when a chapel was constructed. The entire cost of the building and grounds at that time was $7,076.56 and was located on First East and Second North. Religious activities were provided for every day in the week. "On the Sabbath preaching, Sabbath evening, prayer meeting, Monday evening, singing school; Tuesday evening, lyceum; Wednesday evening, Seventies meeting; Thursday, prayer meeting; Friday evening, spelling school and on Saturday evening, the lesser (Aaronic) priesthood and day school."

The winters of 1861-2 were unusually mild but the people of the city suffered nevertheless for want of fuel. Utah Lake did not freeze over, thus preventing the settlers from crossing the lake to get the juniper wood and cedar they depended upon for fuel. Heavy rains had washed out the newly built $20,000 Provo canyon road in several places.

In 1863 William Fuller wrote to some English Saints of the fullness of life to be found here: "I have now a cow, a yearling calf, 4 sheep, 2 pigs in the pen and a fat one on the shelf, enough potatoes or more to last me till they come in again, about 20 gallons of molasses, chickens almost out of number and if I stay...I shall fence in about 3 acres and plant my orchard this spring and get some 2-3 acres of hay land and then put up my house which is already paid for. Being isolated from civilization, we have not enough modern vices to attract the vile in heart and withal being united by one faith, we have not enough dissension for modern greatness to flounder in, so here we are in peace and amnity, contented as "Mormons" led and ruled by our father through B. Young, his chieftan upon earth."

In his middle age, James Bean accepted the practice of polygamy. On 5 February 1857, he was married in Brigham Young's office, Salt Lake City, to Amelia Ann Thomas Huntington Jarvis, a young English convert, who was born 29 July 1821, in Hereford, Herefordshire, England. He was fifty-three, she was thirty-six. She seems to have been twice a widow with two (or possibly three) children. This marriage was not a congenial one, and she left him and James wrote to Brigham Young, asking for a divorce, in 1858, which was granted. The letter reads as follows:

"Provo, Feb 6th 1858

Pres: Brigham Young

Dear brother, My wife Amelia demands a Bill of Divorce. She is very headstrong and violent, will not obey my counsel in anything, and defies my authority in every way, in short she manifests an apostate spirit.

If you are willing to grant us a Bill please give me an answer by the bearer.

Your brother James Bean

Brother D. Calder granted the divorce.

Brigham Young."

This plural marriage lasted only a year. After the divorce, she had a baby girl who was always known as Maggie Bean. Maggie married a Mr. Porter. This seems to indicate Amelia may not have had a proper release from her former husband or who knows what other complications might have been involved.

On 1 November 1864, his first wife, Elizabeth Lewis Bean, died. George Bean wrote of her that "she had been such a sustaining power of wisdom and intelligence to her family and many sought her counsel, that she will be greatly missed." The Deseret News in proper obituary form concurred, noting "she left a large circle to mourn her departure...she truly labored by good words and deeds, and nobly earned the crown of a Mother in Israel."

James Bean took a third wife, 14 October 1865, in Salt Lake City, a young Swedish emigrant, Hedvig Magdalena Stormfelt. She was born 11 February 1835, St. Petri, Malmo, Sweden, daughter of Carl Fritz Ulrick Stormfelt and Petronella Christina Ehrenberg. She died 15 December 1870. So they were only together for five years. She did not have any children. She is buried by James and Elizabeth in the Provo City Cemetery.

His fourth marriage took place 4 February 1869, in Salt Lake City, when he married Elizabeth Bengta Rosequist, a sixteen year old Swedish convert. She was born 14 May 1853, Svedale, Sweden, daughter of Anders Josefsson Rosequist and Ingrid Hansson Ahl. They were divorced in 1880 ending a plural marriage of one year and a monogynous one of ten years with James. No children came from this union either. On 9 November 1882 she married Alvin Nelson Loveridge and had a family of eight children by him.

In 1866 James was a driver for George A. Smith and Erastus Snow to the southern settlements. On July 28, 1867, James Bean and others renew their testimonies of the Gospel. He testified to his belief in Mormonism, and in a meeting where Heber C. Kimball was present, Kimball singled out a few of the "aged Elders" for their faithfulness. Of the four that he mentioned, James Bean headed the list.

The homesteading papers for James Bean were signed by his son, James Addison Bean, in October 1869. James A. Bean's affidavit reads in part and tells us the kind of home James lived in:

"I, James A. Bean, do solemnly swear that I am well acquainted with James Bean who is a native born citizen of the United States and the head of a family consisting of a wife and five children....that the said James Bean entered upon and made settlement in person on the said land....and has erected thereon an adobe house 16 x 30 feet with roof, floor, 3 doors and 3 windows and is a comfortable house to live in and has lived in the said house, and made it his exclusive home....and that he has since said settlement ploughed and cultivated about 12 acres of said land and has thereon 80 rods fencing with stable, corral and orchard..." A patent was received July 15, 1870, from the U.S. Government by James Bean for this land and it was recorded in the Utah County Deed Book A:19.

On 8 October 1869, James Bean and his daughter did baptism work for their dead relatives, which reveals much about the family. He was baptized for his father, William Bean, his son, William Bean, his grandfather, Garrett Buckalew, father-in-law, James Lewis, and grandfather William Bean, who was born in Ireland.

James Bean was a civic-minded member of his community. He served as Indian interpreter, was elected street supervisor, consecrated his property to the church when it was required; served as Bishop's counselor, and served on a grand jury. He was actively involved in the affairs of the community. He was law abiding and honest. His whole life was spent in bettering his surroundings and in building for the future. He was faithful to his wives, even amidst marital difficulties and loved his family. Through out his life he was a good family man, an honorable citizen and an active member of the church. In addition to farming he was also engaged in construction work and mechanics.

In May, 1878, he and his fourth wife, Elizabeth, were in St. George doing work in the temple for deceased relatives on the Lewis and Buckalew lines along with his daughter, Nancy B. Decker, and his grandson, James Bean Decker. At this time he was also sealed to Matilda Hull, deceased, wife Elizabeth standing as proxy.

James died 30 June 1882, Provo, Utah, of lung disease. His obituary says that he had "been an active pioneer the greater portion of his life, faithful to his profession as a member of the Church, living a good, honorable life." He died intestate and his estate was settled in 1896 and his heirs listed.

On the 25 September 1885, George W. and wife Elizabeth in the St. George Temple stand as proxy for James Bean (deceased) in sealing him to Cynthia Lewis deceased sister of his deceased wife Elizabeth Lewis. (This practice was permitted at that time but later abolished.)

Children: surname BEAN

i. William, born 29 July 1825, Lincoln County, Missouri, died 17 March 1842 in Illinois, unmarried.

ii. Nancy, born 14 December 1826, West Troy, Lincoln, Missouri, married (1) Thomas J. Williams, by whom she had one daughter, Nancy Elizabeth, later known as Mary Elizabeth. Fern Ellis in her book "our Decker Forefathers:24" gives us the following: "Thomas J. Williams was a school teacher who came to Mendon, Illinois about 1841. He obtained living quarters at the Bean home. He took a liking to young Nancy Bean and sought her hand in marriage which took place 4 September 1842. Nancy would have been 16 years old at this time.

Williams resented the church and especially his wife being a member. She could not give up her hew found faith and he refused to go to Nauvoo with the Saints and accept the Gospel. This resulted in a separation and divorce. He was given custody of the baby girl whom he took to Warsaw, Illinois where she grew up and later married a man by the name of Porter Walker, a wealthy man of that community. They had two children. She lived and died there in Illinois but in her later years she made contact with some of her mother's family and was later sealed in the Salt Lake Temple to her mother and Zachariah B. Decker. Nancy never saw this daughter again. Close family members recalled that when Nancy's baby was about eight months old Nancy was given the option by her husband of rejecting the church and calling it a hoax OR or leaving him within one week. One night she was awakened to find her husband standing over her with a knife, threatening to kill her is she did not renounce the Church. In her fright she jumped out the window and fled, leaving her baby behind.

Shortly thereafter a young missionary came to Quincy, Illinois, and met Nancy. He won her heart. She married (2) this man, John Doyle Lee, 4 February 1845, Nauvoo, Illinois. He was born 6 September 1812, Kaskaskia, Randolph, Illinois, son of Ralph and Elizabeth (Doyle) Lee. This marriage for Nancy was a polygamist one as John had a previous wife, Agatha and three small children. Nancy and John were sealed in the Nauvoo Temple 22 December 1845.

John D. Lee was a rather cruel and domineering husband. Nancy was a tailoress and often he would demand that she set up all night to finish clothes for him or others. Another time he brought a piece of leather to be made into a jacket for him with an impossible deadline and when it was not completed beat her. Once when lee was sent by Brigham Young to Santa Fe to get the paychecks from the men in the Mormon Battalion Nancy had gone home to her parents (which she did whenever he took traveling expeditions). Usually she was back in his home when he returned. One time she had returned to her parents home and hadn't returned by the time Lee arrived home. James Bean went to him to explain that Nancy and the baby were sick. Lee was upset because she had left without his permission. When she finally did return to his home he was never happy with her again and from that time on the feeling was mutual. On July 19, 1847, Nancy's father came and asked Lee to let Nancy come home and help them because her mother was ill. He did not consent but she went anyway. Later she asked him to let them have a cow to milk for the baby and her sick mother. He refused. They were divorced, 28 February 1848.

Fern Ellis states that Nancy had a strong testimony and a mind of her own with a good smattering of spunk that carried her through the trials and tribulations of these two marriages. She kept her testimony and was faithful all her days, truly a woman of unusual great stamina and courage. A daughter, Cornelia E. was born to Nancy in this union.

She married (3) 4 October 1849, Salt Lake City, Utah, Zachariah Bruyn Decker, Sr., born 22 June 1817, Shawangunk, Ulster, New York, son of Cornelius Johannes and Gertrude (Bruyn) Decker. He was a member of the Mormon Battalion. While in California he helped to dig the mill race at Sutters Mill at Sacramento where gold had been found. He brought some of it back to Salt Lake City with him and promptly gave it to President Young to be used for the welfare of the Church. While in the Battalion he became acquainted with William W. Casper, husband of Sarah Ann Bean, and through him met her sister, Nancy Bean who had been divorced from John D. Lee earlier that year. They immediately "took" to each other and were married in Salt Lake City the following spring (1849). They lived in the valley until after their first son, Zachariah Bruyn, Jr., was born 11 March 1850. Late in December 1850 they accepted a call to go to the southern part of Utah to pioneer a settlement at Parawan, Iron, Utah. Zachariah went first, then returned later for Nancy who was expecting again. Gertrude was born in Parawan 27 June 1851, but died soon after. He helped in the building of the fort there by hauling dirt with a slab scraper and ox team. He was a very religious man and attended to his church meetings and responsibilities faithfully. He encouraged his children to do likewise. He was honest in payment of tithes and in his dealings with his fellow men. He served many years as a Patriarch there. When a call came for a group to go to the "Hole In The Rock" he took his prize stallion and went along hoping to raise horses in the new settlement. Five of his children and their families were with this group and withstood with honor the rigors of this rugged region. Nancy Bean Decker elected to stay in Parawan. After so many moves, she did not want to sell their farm until the outcome of the expedition was known. (see sketches of this expedition at end of this section in Appendix #1).) Zachariah returned, however, after eighteen months and spent the rest of his life in Parawan. He was very good at playing the harmonica. He loved the out of doors, especially the mountains. He died 13 April 1902, Parowan, Iron, Utah.

Nancy Bean was a pillar of strength in this small, southern Utah community. her next great challenge. Even this did not minimize her devotion to the Lord or her desire to have a stable loving family life like the one in which she was reared. Mr. Lee seems to have been a bit unkind and domineering as evidenced by the fact that he required Nancy to work all night on more than one occasion to finish sewing clothes for him. Another time he brought a piece of leather to be made into a jacket with an impossible deadline and when it was not completed beat her.

A patriarchal blessing from Patriarch, John Smith, included here, must have given her solace and hope for the future amidst these trying circumstances.

"A blessing upon the head of Nancy Bean daughter of James and Elizabeth Bean, born December 14th 1826 Pike County, Missouri. Beloved Sister I lay my hands upon thy head in the name of Jesus Christ and seal upon thee a Father's blessing, therefore dismiss thy fears and be comforted for the Lord thy God loves thee and he will hold thee up for thou art of the blood and lineage of Joseph and an heir to all the blessings and covenants of God's people and if thy companion will return to thee and attend to his duty as a man of God he shall be a comfort and a help to thee and thy name shall be named upon him and if not the Lord thy God shall give thee a companion that shall be worthy to bear thy name with a numerous posterity to all eternity and exalt thee to a throne of glory in the house of Israel forever, therefore let your heart be comforted for thou shalt have all things which are good on earth and in heaven, even to accomplish every purpose of thine heart, live to see the winding up scene of this generation and be satisfied. This is thy blessing in faithfulness sealed upon thee in the name of Jesus Christ even so. Amen"

How pleased she must have been to see this blessing literally fulfilled in finding a gentle, kind, thoughtful husband like Zachariah who offered complete love, adopted her child by James D. Lee, and treated her as one of his own. He would have done the same for her other daughter by Mr. Williams.

Nancy was very skilled as a tailor and seamstress. She helped many a man be the proud owner of homespun clothes. She was also generous in helping others learn these skills. As an expert weaver she made many beautiful bed spreads in intricate designs. Her loom was in a lean-to next to her kitchen. She also made fine serviceable straw hats which were appreciated by the men folks in those times when there were no hats available in the stores. She was an excellent cook and homemaker. She preceded her husband in death by one month. (41) She d. 3 Mar. 1903 in Parowan. She and her husband are buried in the cemetery there. She had 13 children. (Fig. 46) (See Fig. 45 Family Group Chart)

iii. Sarah Ann, born 31 October. 1828, Mendon, Adams, Illinois, married 29 August 1844, William Wallace Casper, (they were married for eternity in the Nauvoo Temple 22 January 1846), died 26 April 1882 at Mill Creek, Salt Lake City, Utah. He married (2) Margaret Mattice, died 1859; married (3) 26 March 1864, Salt Lake City, Elizabeth Ann Erickson, by whom nine children were born, died 29 January 1916, Mill Creek. William W. Casper died 17 July 1908 at Mill Creek.

In June, 1868, as Major William W. Casper, he was called out in charge of five platoons in the Black Hawk Indian War. He took his troops from Salt Lake City to Sanpete County for a sixty-five day campaign. He also served in the Walker War. These must have been painful experiences for him because he was friendly with the Indians and could speak their language fluently.

On 3 May, 1875, William signed homestead papers, saying that he had lived on his land (at Mill Creek) at least twelve years (having first homesteaded this 18 February 1848), that he was head of a household consisting of a "wife & 16 children," and had built a five room house with six doors, a floor, six windows, and it was 16 by 40 feet. In addition he had made 150 rods of fencing, water ditches, barn, three corrals, a stock yard, two orchards, a granary, and had wagon and cowsheds and estimated his improvements as worth at least $7000.

A granddaughter described him as being "of average height, about five feet eight inches, and stockily built. His hair was a sandy brown color and his long beard had flecks of red in it. He had sparkling blue eyes which glowed with mischievous humor."

He was intensely religious and an avid follower of President Brigham Young. He was a faithful servant and stalwart pioneer. He believed in and tried to live all the principles of the Church. He entered into the practice of polygamy having three wives as already noted. He was ordained a High Priest, 20 June 1892. He did much genealogical research work and obtained hundreds of names for temple work. In the later years of his life, he and his wife Annie drove horse and buggy to the temple each morning to do temple work. For many years he walked with a cane, due to the fact that he lost the sight of one of his eyes in an operation for cataracts. When Mill Creek Ward was divided in 1905, he donated the building lot that Winder Ward Chapel now stands on.

v. George Washington, born 1 April 1831, Mendon, Adams, Illinois, married (1) 6 January l853, Provo, Elizabeth Baum, born 27 January1834, Brandywine, Chester, Pennsylvania, daughter of Jacob and Agnes Nancy (Harris) Baum. She died 6 May 1916, Ephraim, Sanpete, Utah, he married (2) 10 December 1856 Emily Haws, born 27 February 1836, Wayne County, Illinois, daughter of John and Martha (Masters) Haws, who died 14 December 1908, Richfield, Sevier, Utah, he married (3) 15 December 1856, Mary Jane Wall, born 12 April 184l Sangamon County, Illinois, daughter of William Madison and Nancy (Haws) Wall. He died 9 December 1897, Richfield, leaving behind an invaluable autobiography. He had 30 children. He was a First Counselor in the Sevier Stake Presidency and also a Patriarch for many years. His life was one of dedicated service to God and man. He encouraged his own family to organize and divide responsibility, make records of all their families and keep close together in bonds of love. Though he felt genealogical work was too tremendous for himself he encouraged his family to pursue it, which they did, His daughter, Flora Bean Horne, being the first to begin gathering records and organizing them for temple work.

His concluding testimony is included here: "This is my testimony to you, my children and descendants to the last generation; that God lives and answers prayers for our best good, not always as we ask; that He came to the humble boy Joseph Smith in answer to his pleadings to know which of all the churches is right; that He brought His Son, Jesus Christ, the Redeemer and Mediator between God and man, to give instructions; that Lucifer, or Satan, the destroyer of everything good, was there to crush out the life of Joseph, but he failed; that the light from Heaven that surrounded Joseph preserved him, and God's great plan was carried on. Read the first chapters of the Bible and vision the marvelous "blueprint" of the Universe with its many planets moving about with mathematical precision, and our earth as our place of training, with Jesus Christ, our teacher. Read the Bible daily and learn how beautiful life can be, and how horrible, if we cater to Satan. We have four books that all Latter-day Saints recognize as Church Scriptures: Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price. Read them prayerfully and gain intelligence. Can you repeat the Ten Commandments of God to his earth children? Read the 20th Chapter of Exodus. Read the 20th Section of the Doctrine and Covenants for the Revelations on organization of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Read the Articles of Faith and gain knowledge and power to live God's laws, spiritually and physically, that you may perfect yourselves in this school of action and graduate into the Millennial college to progress further unto perfection with our families and friends.

"Read the 13th Section of the Doctrine and Covenants to prove Joseph Smith's authority, when John the Baptist conferred the "Priesthood of Aaron" upon Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery; and later the Priesthood of Melchizedek was conferred by Peter, James and John. These Priesthoods gave them power to act for God on earth. Read Section 89 on the Word of Wisdom.

"And now, dear children, as a Patriarch, I give unto you a Father's blessing, that you may overcome the temptations of Satan, Live the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and bring your Heavenly Father close to you by earnest prayer. This is my prayer and blessing for you all, in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen." George W. Bean

v. James Addison, born 11 March 1834, Mendon, Adams, Illinois, married 19 February 1853, Provo, Harriet Catherine Faced, born 8 March 1833, Nashville, Tennessee, daughter of William McKee Faced and Matilda Caroline (Butcher). He died 20 January 1917, Provo, and she died 28 November 1912 Provo. They had 12 children. (See further) (See Fig. 45 Family Group Chart) also (Fig. 50.) His history appears under separate heading

vi. Mary Elizabeth, born 17 April 1837, Mendon, Adams, Illinois, married 27 December 1855, Provo, Amos Whitcomb Haws, born 10 July 1833, Greentown, Wayne, Illinois, son of Gilbert and Hannah (Whitcomb), Haws. He died 28 May 1888, Provo and she died 25 September 1895 also in Provo. Had 10 children. (See Fig. 49) and (See 45 Family Group Chart)

She was known among the many Indian friends of her brothers and parents as "George Bean's sister". This friendly relationship with the Indians was carried over into her own home. Many times they would come to talk to her. She, too, learned to speak the Indian language and could converse with them freely in their own tongue.

She knew how to make the best of every situation. For example she did not like milk in any form so anything else to make a change was tried. She learned to use sego roots, artichokes and other roots as substitutes for vegetables which were so important to prevent scurvy in those days. They raised table beets, cooked them in water, boiled the water left over until it became thick and used it as molasses. This practice utilized everything and broke up the monitory of bread, butter and milk three times a day. She was of a very energetic and independent nature. During the time of the real-estate boom in 1887-88, they sold their home on University Avenue and laid a foundation for a new home on First East and Eighth North. Her husband's unexpected accident and death left her and three of the young boys to continue the building of the new home. She had difficulty adjusting to the new environment without her husband so was not completely happy or contented. She often expressed her desire not to be a burden to anyone. This desire was granted and on the 25 September 1895, she passed quietly from this life having been bedfast but two or three days. She was 56 years of age. She died a faithful member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Amos Whitcomb Haws learned much from practical experience from his early days. In addition to helping on the farm he operated a carding machine in an adobe house. This was run by water power. People brought their wool to have it carded and made into batts for quilts or made into rolls which the women would spin, dye and weave into cloth on their looms at home or double and twist it into stocking yarn for knitting. He had a great desire to become a mechanic. Through study and practice he became an excellent carpenter and builder, able to plan and build almost anything from fine furniture and cabinets to corrals and barns, for which he did his own estimating and figuring. He became an expert casket maker. He would shape them by partially sawing through the side boards so they could be bent to fit the bottom that he had tapered at one end. After it was nailed together it was ready for the padding, lining and trimming. It was lined with white material, the outside being covered with black velvet, silica or cotton cloth, just as the family of the deceased could afford, but it was usually black. The style changed and children's caskets were covered with white canton flannel, with the flannel side out which made a very pretty covering.

He worked on most of the large houses which were built during his life time and was contractor for many of them. He also helped in the construction of the Provo Woolen Mills and the City and County building.

In 1865-6 he built a five room adobe house with part basement for his family on the corner of Second North and University. At the time it was the largest house in Provo. Just as he was ready to move his family in an Officer of the U.S. Army, then stationed in Provo, offered him $60.00 a month for one year's use of his home. Money being scarce the family decided to live in their old home another year and let the officer and family have the new home. This was one among many instances where the family sacrificed present personal comfort for future blessings.

He designed his own genealogical record which was very similar to the one used by the L.D.S. Church and from his father's dictation put the family record in order.

He was very domestic in character and disposition and was never more happy than when doing something for the improvement of the home or assisting in the home work, entertainment and enjoyment of relatives and friends. He was sympathetic in disposition and jovial--enjoying a good joke but never pleased at a course loud joke or story. He was desirous that his children live good, honorable lives and be true Latter-Day_Saints. He held the office of a High Priest and died a faithful member of the church.

On Monday, May 28, 1888, he was working at the Provo Woolen Mill engaged in constructing an elevator in the four story rock building. After the noon meal, as was his habit, he instructed his boys on the work he wished them to do at the home, then he returned to his work at the Mill. About 4 P.M. while leaning over the elevator opening boring with a brace and bit, the bit broke and caused him to lose his balance and he fell to the second floor below. He was carried home by his friends and fellow workmen but lived only about three hours. He was 54 years of age. (46)

vii. Cornelia, born 17 June 1839, Mendon, died 17 November 1845 at Council Bluffs.

Patriarchal Blessing of George Washington Bean dated 28 December 1851 given at Salt Lake City by Patriarch John Smith: "Brother George, in the name of Jesus of Nazareth, I place my hands upon thy head and seal upon thee the blessing of a father, even all the blessings of the Melchizedek Priesthood. I seal upon thee and upon thy children forever, for thou art of the blood of Ephraim and a lawful heir to all the blessings that were sealed upon the children of Joseph, which can be brought forth from the earth or from heaven. Thou art called to preach the Gospel to many nations, kindreds and tongues, and thy persuasive manner of communicating shall cause them to believe. Thou shalt baptize kings and rulers, princes and governors and thousands of their subjects, and lead them to Zion with their stores of riches. No power shall stay thy hand, for thou shalt speak and it shall be done.

Thou shalt have a companion to comfort your heart and raise up a posterity that shall be mighty in Israel; and if you desire it with a perfect heart, you shall live to see all things accomplished which the prophets have spoken concerning Zion, and inherit a Celestial Glory with all thy father's house. Amen."

Patriarchal Blessing given Sarah Ann Bean by John Smith in Adams County, Illinois, dated 4 January 1845: "In the name of Jesus Christ, beloved Sister, I lay my hands upon thy head and bless thee as a father, for thou hast the right to all the blessings that were sealed upon the daughter of Ephraim in the days of old, even the holy Priesthood with all its power in common with thy companion, also a numerous posterity. They sons shall be prophets; thy daughters shall also prophecy and be teachers of the children of the Lamanites and teach them to make garments for the saints. Thou shalt have faith to heal the sick in thy house in the absence of thy companion, thou shalt have the ministering of angels to comfort thee when thou art alone. I seal all the blessings upon thy head which were sealed upon thy companion. Thou shalt live to be a comfort unto him when the Savior makes his appearance and if thou art faithful thou shalt reign in all eternity over all thou wilt redeem of this generation and of thy fathers back to Noah."

"HAPPINESS IS NOT A POSSESSION TO BE PRIZED BUT A QUALITY OF THOUGHT, A STATE OF MIND." This truth must have been a motivating force with these beloved pioneer ancestors whom we have grown to love and to whom we give respect and honor. When it is finally said and done the greatest honor that we, their posterity, could give them is to live lives dedicated to the Lord whom they worshiped and to the Church that espoused and worked so hard to establish. May God grant that we might transmit to the next generation the values they worked so hard to establish. As they may we also endure to the end in faith.

In as much as two of the James Bean children lived in polygamist families and James himself participated in this ordinance the following is of interest:

From The Mormon Experience by Leonard Arrington and David Bitton: "We estimate that no more than 5% of married Mormon men had more than one wife, and since the great majority of these had only two wives, it seems reasonable to suppose that about 12% of Mormon women were involved in the principle. The birth rate among plural wives being somewhat lower than among monogamist wives, certainly no higher than 10% of Mormon children were born into polygamist families."

George W. Bean had this to say about his plural family relationships: "I cannot express in words my appreciation for my three splendid wives and the children they have borne, and their true understanding of the principle and purpose of plural marriage as the lord designed it should be lived.

"The domestic life of our family was typical of pioneer homes. My wives made their soap from waste fats, milked cows, made butter and cheese, and cottage cheese, curdled the milk with rennet, raised chickens, ducks and geese for feathers and food, turkeys, sheep for food and wool for clothing, herbs for seasoning or medicine; and thus they labored so that when I brought men from Court, there was plenty to eat and strangers were welcomed.

"The children were trained early in their lives to accept responsibility. One morning when Elizabeth found no cedar wood in the kitchen box, she peeled potatoes, sliced the ham, made biscuits, and broke the eggs, then placed them all on the table raw and called the boys to breakfast. After saying grace, when they reached for the food the one responsible for the wood chopping chore hurried from the room and soon brought the wood. That was how this mother did her scolding."

According to a work done by Richard Horsley and Jill Nelson Crandall of the Provo based Family Research Center, James Bean and Elizabeth Lewis have descendants numbering between 12,500 and 15,000 and rank with the leading 140 largest families in the church in the 1900s. "In my list of the leading 250 LDS families, the James Bean family ranks around the 100th largest church family. Records indicate that this family is almost as large as the Heber C. Kimball or the Brigham Young family in total numbers of descendants....The answer to this lies in the fine families that the Beans have married into and the degree of faithfulness that many of these families have maintained over the 5 or 6 generations that they have been in the church. The Caspers, Deckers, & Haws have been very active branches of the James Bean family. The George W. and James A. Bean families have been fortunate in that few have faltered by the wayside. Considering the difference between these two families originally, the James Addison Bean family has done remarkably well, and today is not much different in size to the George Washington Bean family.

"There are 10 large Scotch-Irish families in the LDS church. The James Bean family would be the third largest of these 10.

"There are less than 125 families which have more genealogical sheets on the (initial Four Generation Program than this family. Another 25 have the same number. I believe you have a legitimate claim to be in the top 150 families of the Church no matter how you compare yourself. I have found no other single indicator which pinpoints the size of the various families of the Church better than the genealogical submission program.

"The James Bean family is the fourth largest Kentucky-born family in the Church. His family is one of the twenty five largest Mormon families of the Southern States in the Church today."

In the records that have come to my attention in the presentation of this work I have been impressed with the strong family bond that has existed among the children of James and Elisabeth Lewis Bean. Their willingness to help each other out and to be congenial with one another is very evident. I for one am very proud to be one of their descendants. (Arlene Bean Meservy)

Again let me reiterate how deeply indebted we are for the Journal and Autobiography of George Washington Bean which has given us valuable historical information and many personal insights into the family of James Bean and Elizabeth Lewis.

1. Provo A Story Of People In Motion - Marilyn McMeen Miller & John Clifton Moffitt - 1938

2. IBID:

3. Provo, Pioneer Mormon City:31 -

4. To be named

5. History of Provo:39

6. Page 31, The Story Of Provo, Utah, by John C. Moffitt


8. Provo, Pioneer City:70

9. Provo, Pioneer Mormon City:52

10. IBID:64

11. Provo, A Mormon City:51-2

12. IBID

13. Autobiography of George W. Bean pages 58-61 - 1945 - Horne

14. Provo, A Story of People In Motion

15. Treasures of Pioneer Utah, Vol 3:363 SL FHL 979.2H2ca

16. LDS Church Historians Dept. Journal History Roll #143:11

17. History of Provo - Booth

18. IBID:55

19. Provo A Story, People In Motion:15-16, Marila McMeen Miller & John C. Moffitt

20. Ibid:91

21. History of Provo - Booth

22. BYU #BX8677 9224 (1946) Early Hist of Provo John E. Booth

23. LDS Biog. Encycl Vol 1:492 - Jensen

24. LDS Biog. Encycl Vol l:492 & Hist of Provo:43 - Booth

25. History of Provo:58 - Booth

26. Provo A Story of People In Motion:17 - Moffett

27. Provo, A Mormon City:84

28. Provo, Mormon City:85

29. History of Provo:46-7 - Booth

30. Provo, A Story Of People In Motion:18, Moffitt & Miller

31. Provo Story of People In Motion:18 - Moffett

32. History of Provo:48 - Booth

33. Provo A Story of People In Motion:19 - Miller & Moffitt - 1938

34. IBID

35. LDS FHL Ms #1769 Zechariah Bruyn Decker, Jr. - Louis A. Decker

36. Provo, Pioneer Mormon City:69

37. G.W.Bean Autobiography:143 - Horne - 1945

38. BYU Film D45 #1:48 Nov 2, 1864 Edition Deseret News

39. Early History of Provo 1849-1872

40. Patriarchal Blessings - LDS Church Historian's Department, Salt Lake City, Utah

41. Many thanks to "Our Decker Forefathers":24-34 Fern Ellis (1981) for the sketches of Nancy and Zachariah

42. Homestead )Papers, William W. Casper, National Archives, Washington, D.C.

43. The Ebenezer Hanks Story, pp. 127-130, by Kerry W. Bate; further sketches on the Casper family came from a granddaughter, Elizabeth Ada G. Hamilton and a great great grandson, Russell R. Casper.

44. Autobiography of George W. Bean:258 - Flora Bean Horne - 1945

45. IBID:258-9

46. Historical Sketches of Amos Whitcomb Haws and Mary Elizabeth Bean - Louisa Haws Foote - dated 12 April 1928

47. G.W. Bean Autobiography:73 - Horne - 1945

48. Patriarchal Blessings - LDS Church Historians Department, SLC, Utah

49. Georg W. Bean Autobiography:218 (1945) Flora Bean Horne

50. BYU Lib F826.D38x, An Enduring Legacy, Vol I:238 - Presidents of the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers - article on Flora Bean Horne

51. Ancestral History and Pioneer Overview of the James Bean Family:13,49,51 - Richard Brown Horsley & Jill Nelson Crandall

grave http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=7569942

  • Residence: Utah County, Deseret - 1851
  • Residence: Provo, Utah, Utah - 01 JUN 1880
  • Residence: Provo, Utah, Utah, United States - 1 Jun 1880
view all 14

James Addison Bean's Timeline

March 3, 1804
Elkton, Christian, Kentucky, United States
July 29, 1825
Age 21
Lincoln, Benton, MO, United States
December 14, 1826
Age 22
Troy, Lincoln, Missouri, United States
October 31, 1828
Age 24
Quincy, Adams Co., Ill.
April 1, 1831
Age 27
Mendon, Adams, Illinois, United States
March 11, 1834
Age 30
Mendon, Adams, Illinois, United States
May 17, 1837
Age 33
Mendon, Adams, IL, United States
June 17, 1839
Age 35
Mendon, Adams, IL, United States