Is your surname Field?

Research the Field family

James Field's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Related Projects

James Field

Birthdate: (76)
Birthplace: Stanley Hill, Bosbury, Herefordshire, England
Death: January 17, 1907 (76)
Slaterville, Weber, Utah, United States
Place of Burial: Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of William Field and Mary Field (Harding)
Husband of Catherine Daniels Field
Father of Mary Elizabeth Field
Brother of Eliza Field; Rachel Field; Kaziah Field; William Field, Jr.; Mary Garner and 4 others

Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:

About James Field

I, James Field, was born at Standlehill, Basbury Parish, Herefordshire, England. I resided in my native land until the spring of 1844, being in my fourteenth year up to this time. I had worked with my father part of the time in the shops and part of the time on the farm. My father being a shoemaker and a farmer, therefore I had very little schooling.

In the fall of 1839, I was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, together with my father's family; all that were old enough to receive baptism.

At that time, there was at Standlehill quite a large branch of the church presided over by Elder Joseph Pullin, the same elder that baptized me. I was baptized in the night, as most all who joined the church at that time were. We then came back to the meeting, and I was confirmed a member of the church.

When my father joined the church, he could not get work at shoemaking; the people all being so against him, even his own parents going against him, so he moved to a farm.

About the year 1840,the Saints began to emigrate to Nauvoo. Most of the Saints in the branch came with the first company, leaving the meeting and the business of the branch in my father's house, until my father with his family emigrated in the spring of 1844. We were on the ship Glasco, with Captain Lambert, to New Orleans, then up the Mississippi to Nauvoo with Elder Isaac Clark as president of the company.

When we reached St. Louis, my father's money gave out and we were about to stay there. When Elder Clark heard of this, he came to my father and persuaded him to borrow some money from a man by the name of Kelby, who was with the company, from the Isle of Man, which he did in the amount of thirty dollars.

We were strangers in strange land, but the land provided us with a friend in the person of Elder John Chees, who took us in when we landed at the station house in Nauvoo. He, having been a neighbor of ours in England, and hearing of our coming, came to us and took us to his home and provided for us until we could get a place for ourselves.

Soon after we arrived at Nauvoo, my father received a sunstroke, from which he never fully recovered. In the year 1844, being very troublesome times, he was called upon to take his turn at standing guard to protect us from our enemies.

He did so until he was confined to his bed and when they came for him, I offered to take his place. I being only fourteen years of age, they thought me rather young, but I told them I would do the best I could, seeing my father was not able. Whereupon one of the neighbors by the name of Thomas Evans offered to take me as his partner, and from that time on as long as any of the Saints were left in Nauvoo, I was kept on duty. And in the daytime I worked on the Nauvoo House, until we had to quit because of the mob pressing us so hard.

In the fall of 1845, death came to our family. My father's sister died on Friday; my father on the next Sunday about two o'clock; my eldest sister the same morning at eight o'clock and my next eldest sister in three days, leaving me the eldest with a family of seven to care for in a strange land with nothing to feed them on.

Soon after our arrival in Nauvoo, my father was ordained into the Eighteenth Quorum of Seventies.

After his death the President of the Quorum thought it best that I be ordained to the place left vacant by his death. So in the year 1846, I was ordained to the Eighteenth Quorum of Seventies.

We remained in Nauvoo after the body of the Saints left, and when the mob came onto us again to drive those of us who were left out, they came to me and said they would give me twenty minutes to leave or they would shoot me. I went and got a team and wagon from a man by the name of Kimble, who was in favor of the Mormons, and took my widowed mother and family across the river where the Saints were camped. As I passed where the enemy was camped, they stopped me and searched my wagon, and then one of them placed their gun on my shoulder and fired, burning my face and filling it with powder.

When we reached the river, we were taken across on a ferry boat, where we camped on the opposite side of the river for about nine weeks, having no conveyances to move further. While there it rained nearly all the time.

It was there, being without food and shelter, that I went one day to see if I could get something to eat. Finding nothing, I was returning through the woods when I saw some quail. Thinking that I could kill some to take home, I looked for a stick to hit them with, and although being in the woods, I could find no stick. I thought I would try to catch some, which I did without any trouble, but only the amount that would last that day and the rest flew away. From then on while the Saints stayed there, the quail came every day and they would catch enough for the day and the rest would flyaway. Only on Saturday could they catch enough to last over Sunday.

While we were camped on the banks of the river, we stood and watched the enemy burn down the temple of Nauvoo, that the Saints had labored so recently to build.

After staying there for some time, I finally got a job chopping wood, I moved my mother and family into a log house without doors and windows and there we stayed until late in the winter, when my cousin, Richard Hill, came and moved us to Burlington, Iowa. There we remained after my mother had married a man by the name of Elsy Enslow, with whom I worked cutting wood until September, 1849, when he died. And three months after, there was another child born to my mother, leaving me with one more to care for.

We stayed there and I worked until 1850, when we moved to Winter Quarters. My stepfather leaving us a team, by which we moved with. We stayed at Winter Quarters that year, where raised a small crop with which to help support the family.

In 1851, leaving my mother and family at Winter Quarters, I emigrated to Utah in Alford Cardin's Company driving his ox teams, and arrived in Salt Lake City, September, 1851.

view all

James Field's Timeline

February 17, 1830
Stanley Hill, Bosbury, Herefordshire, England
June 29, 1864
Age 34
Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States
January 17, 1907
Age 76
Slaterville, Weber, Utah, United States
January 1907
Age 76
Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States

Plot: A-2-40-1E