Historical records matching John Jehu Blackburn
About John Jehu Blackburn
Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel 1847–1868 Abraham O. Smoot - George B. Wallace Company (1847) Age at Departure: 22
According to a book, "Monuments To Courage: A History of Beaver County," chapter Sixteen, Minersville -- It's founding and History, page 212: FIRST CROPS PLANTED IN 1859...May 17, 1859, Jehu Blackburn, with his wife, Susan, the first white woman to settle there, planted the first crops. That first year they lived in a covered wagon, under the cottonwood trees in the lot now owned by George LeFevre. Two of these trees have weathered the elements for more than 71 years. Due to shortage of water in the early days, there was little hay raised by the Minersville settlers. To supplement the small Supply, the ranchers, farmers and stockmen would make regular trips to the Yellow Banks, 20 miles north of Minersville, and sikle the native grasses which grew in abundance on the banks of the Beaver River, hauling the hay by ox tem and mule team to store in their fields for winter feeding.
At this time the main traveled road came down to the canyon to the south from Parowan, through this settlement and then east to Beaver. With the advent of the Pony Express and the stage coach, the road branched toward the southwest and passed the Hot Springs, 18 miles west of Minersville.
James Henry Rollins kept the first open house, or hotel, on the LeFevre lot. here, too, were stabled the horses used on the coaches for the express. He was also the first postmaster, and in 1859, Elders Lyman and Rich ordained him Bishop of Minersville.
The following men have acted as successors to Bishop Rollins: James McKnight, 1869-1977; William Wood, 1877-1879; James McKnight (second term), 1880-1890; Solomon Walker, 1890-1894; George Eyre, 1895-1901; Ruben W. Dotson, 1901-1917; Henry F. Baker, 1906-1908; George Marshall Sr., 1908-1917; George R. Williams, 1917-1919; George H. Eyre, 1919-1928; George Marshall, Jr., 1928-1938; Truman Rololins, 1938-1939; Charles K. Jameson, 1939-1942; Delos Baker, 1942-1945; Sherman W. Carter, 1945-1946; Harold Baker, 1946 - .
The first house, built of logs, was erected on the LeFevre lot by William Barton, who later sold it to John H. Rollins. William Barton was a brother-in-law to John Henry Rollins, since William Barton's wife was the sister of John Henry Rollins wife. The pioneer houses of those days were crude affairs, built of roughly-hewn logs, dirt roofs and dirt floors. The furniture consisted of rock or adobe fireplaces, roughly constructed tables and benches. Bedsteads were considered luxuries and were home-made. The door and window casings were chopped from cottonwood which grew along the creek. Later, pine logs were brought down from Pole Canyon, north of the settlement.
One pioneer woman relates that her first home in Minersville was a small adobe room with a dirt floor and roof. She traded a nice wool shawl, which she had brought from England, for enough lumber to make a door, and took some thin material she had for the window panes. There was a samll bin in one corner for grain, and poles were put over it for a bed.
The first carpenters to construct furniture were William Goodman and Charles Burke. One of the first houses built, which is still standing, is in the fields once owned by Hyrum Walker and now the property of Elmer Marshall. It was moved from town to its present site. William Corbridge built the first brick house.
The first church building was constructed of adobe, and stook just east of the present church building. This was also school house and amusement hall. Previous to this, all church and school activities and amusements were held in various places.
The first grist mill was erected east of the old Hollingshead home. It was owned by Nelson Hollingshead. Charles Burke helped to construct it and was the miller. Flour, bran, shorts and corn meal could be obtained here, if you were fortunate enough to raise the grain.
The first brick was made in the street south of the George Davis place, which was then the outskirts of the settlement. The first brick kiln was on a small plot of ground between the Newell Carter and the Walter Dalton homes.
The first molasses mill was built in the street west of the school house, and was operated by Albert L. Stoddard. Molasses took the place of sugar in those days.
the first school was held in "Grandma Corbridge's" house, located where Abraham Wood's home is now. The first teachers were Bill Hyde, George Roberts, Mary Elizabeth Rollins Lightner and Mary Ann Hamblin. The children used slates and slate pencils, with a few copy books to read from. Their desks were rude tables and benches made from logs. A blackboard was provided for the teacher's use. Later, much of the school was held at night.
The first Sunday School and meetings were held in Elias Blackburn's home, located where George Marshall's home is now. Rachel Marshall was secretary and was only 12 years old.
Mrs. Rosena Rollins and Abraham Wood were the first white children born in Minersville. Mrs. Rollins was born October 17, 1860, and Mr. Wood was born May 12, 1860.
in the year 1850, the town of Minersville was laid out, and was named for the mines near it. This same year a mining company was organized, with Isaac Grundy as president; Tarlton Lewis, William Barton, Jehu Blackburn, James Henry Rollins, Silas Sanford Smith and Samuel Lewis as directors. In 1860, the company leased the mines to John Protherol, to be mined on shares.
During the first years a few tons of lead bullion was produced. It is commonly known that this was the first mine opened in the State of Utah. The lead was so pure that it was melted in a crude smelter, located in Minersville, and formed into bricks from which bullets were made.
The furnace of the smelter was made of stone, with a firebox beneath a cup where the lead was placed. When the lead was melted, a hole beneath was opened and the lead ran out into molds. This bullion was used as money, which was a curiosity in those days.
The lead from the mine was hauled in wagons to Salt Lake City. James Henry Rollins, Bishop of Minersville, took one load of bullion to Salt Lake City and traded it for groceries, which he brought back and gave to the poor. the first shoes brought into Minersville came at this time.
Mrs. Rachel Marshall and Melissa Lee (daughter of Mr. Rollins), say when they were little girls, 8 or 10 years old, they helped day after day to mold the lead bullion into bullets, which the settlers used to defend themselves against the Indians. The Lincoln Mine was recorded in Beaver County Court House, December 7, 1870. It was divided equally among the four men who discovered it.
The first dramatic plays were directed by George Roberts and Jim Jackman, to help finance a library. Some of the early players were Rachel Marshall, Solomon Walker, Bathsheba Grundy, Nancy Rollins (James Henry Rollins daughter-in-law) and Nat Goodman. Early plays were "Ten Nights In a Bar Room," "married Prince," "She Stoops to conquer," and "The Unfinished Gentleman"
The first cemetery was where the present one is located. Later it was moved to a plot of ground between the McKnight farm and the Griffiths farm, and still later was moved back to its present site, one-half mile northwest of the town.
Richard Clayton was one of the first blacksmiths. He was persuaded by William Gillins, one of the earliest settlers of Minersville, to locate there. Mr. Clayton made the remark that he wanted to live where he could feel the pure mountain breezes. Mr. Gillins assured him that the wind blew metter in Minersville than any place he knew. So, in 1868, Clayton built his shop. He did all the work for the settlers and also for the Salisbury Stage Line company.
The first store stood across the street west from the Abraham Wood home. Later it was moved to the Herbert Eyre lot. It was operated by Albert Stoddard. The old Co-Op Store was also on the Herbert Eyre lot, with William Wood as proprietor. In 1870, Dupays operated a little store on the Bert Gray lot. Rosena Rollins was clerk for three years.
The William Carter store stood between the vic and Moroni Myers homes. In 1880, he he built an addition to the Fred Pyror building. Later, in 1895, he sold to Dotson. A new Co-Op Store was erected where the Frank Carter home now stands. This structure has served others who were interested in the mercantile business, including Ed Myers, Fred R. Pryor, Mary Carter, I.N. Nolder, and in more recent years, Frank Pryor, a son of Fred R. Pryor.
The first orchards were planted by James Henry Rollins, on the lot now owned by E llis LeFevre, and John Bradshaw, on the lot now owned by Moroni Myers. The fruit of all kinds was traded and sold to the other towns, and put on exhibit at fairs which were held in the old school house. Some of the most beautiful fruits, vegetables, fancy work, quilts and rugs were put on display there. James Henry Rollins exhibited squash that were as large as a tub and weighed up to 150 pounds.
The fairs used to be one of the biggest times of the season. They would put up swings for children, have jump the ropes, teeter-totters, foot racing, boxing and dancing. all on the school grounds. It would be a good time enjoyed by old and young.
the first brass band was organized under the supervison of Mr. B.J. Shinderling, and later kept going under the leadership of George Jameson. The men in the band were Ed Rollins, Jewel Rollins, Pete Dotson, Wayne Blackburn, George Jameson, Sy Bradfield, Bill Dotson, Bill Burns, Tine Bingham, Foster rollins, George Bradshaw, Ezra Walker, J.S. Murdock, Lawrence Dotson and Orrin Murdock.
The first schol house was built by Ed Bradshaw. It is still standing today. In the year 1880, 80 students attneded; ranging from the first to the firth reader, which was the highest grade at that time. Barlow Ferguson was the teacher during 1879-1880. "Aunt Hattie" and "Uncle Moroni" Myers remember him as a very pleasant man. he often rode a white mare in his leisure time, up one street and down the other, singing this son at the top of his voice: Sing to be robin, The bright sun is shining, Warble your silver notes, Right in my ear. He was a very good singer and had a beautiful voice. In 1911, the present school house was built with brick made and burned by James Banks.
The first class to graduate from high school at Minersville was in 1927. This was the year for Beaver county's high school basketball tournament. Minersville had the outstanding team of the state. Under the coating of a minersville coach, Stanley McKinght, the team went to the state meet in 1926 and won the state championship in 1927. From there they went to Chicago, to compete in the national tournament. One of the Minersville boys, Othello Smith, won the All-State Sportsmanship award, and another, Clarence Gillins, was selected as a member of the All-State team.
When the settlement was first made, Isaac Grundy was in charge, but later James Henry Rollins was made bishop and he assumed the responsibility. He was also elected County Representative to the first legislature held in Salt Lake City. Minersville was incorporated as a town with James McKinight, president of the first Town Board. Some of the first board members were George Marshall Sr., Solomon Walker and William Wood. The first city marshall was A.L. Stodard. F.R. Clayton was the attorney who wrote the Articles of Agreement and By-laws.
The nine o'clock curfew was one of the first city laws and there was also a stock law to keep the streets free of cattle. The first electric lights were installed in 1913-1914, a water line of clay pipe was put in, and later wooden pipe was installed, and in 1936 a new steel line was put down the canyon, which since has been extended all over the town.
A new Town Hall was erected and it was a large, pink-rock building that furnishes rooms for the post office, library, Daughters of the Utah Pioneers and the town Council room, also two small rest rooms. The years 1938-1939 were the banner years for road construction in the history of Minersville. The entire town roads, consisting of about 50 blocks, were graded from curb to curb and gravel surfaced with 16 blocks of oil and seal coating.
Minersville precinct had 446 inhabitants in 1870, 525 in1900, 815 in 1930, and the Minersville Ward had a membership of 702, including 187 children, on December 31, 1930. There was a membership of 653 in December of 1946, and 531 in July, 1947.
At the southeast corner of the L.D.S. square in Minersville stands a monument, erected by Lincoln Camp, Daughters of Utah Pioneers, in which is embedded a miner's pick and several pieces of ore from the Lincoln mind. It is believed to be the only monument in the world erected to a mine. The Lincoln was the first lead mine to be operated in Utah, and in the early stages of development it was operated on special orders of Brigham Young, to supply the Mormon pioneers with lead for bullets.
On March 20, 1937, the marker was dedicated in front of the Town Hall. The following program was rendered under the direction of Mrs. Alvaretta C. Robinson, captain of the Lincoln Camp, and Mrs. Lucy Osborne, captain of the Susanne Camp, Daughters of Utah Pioneers:
Selection by the band. The history of the Lincoln Mine was read by Mrs. Effie H. Marshall, historian of the Lincoln Camp. Dedicatory prayer, Truman Rollins. Unveiling of the monument by Mrs. Jane Banks, daughter of James Henry Rollins, Jr., and Althea Dotson, descendant of Isaac Grundy. There was another selection by the band, and then a parade by band and pioneers, which was miniature. The pupils of the fourth grade of the District School were costumed to represent different characters appropriate for the occasion, namely, President Brigham Young, some of the people who were active with the work in connection with the Lincoln Mine, the Indians who roamed this country in early days, and some of the pioneers of Minersville. After marching to the school house, an interesting program was rendered in honor of Minersville's birthday; a special feature being the dramatization of early pioneers by the fourth grade A leading part was taken by the 10 year-old triplets of Elmer Marshall and Effie Hutchings Marshall, Rachel, Ruth and Ross. Lunch was served to 225 people in addition to 22 old folks.
Sports were conducted in the afternoon and dance at night. The celebration was an entire success. Nearly every town in beaver county was represented, and a number were present from Iron County and other localities.
Son of Thomas Blackburn and Elizabeth Bowen
Married Julia Ann Jameson, abt 1846, Winter Quarters, Douglas, Nebraska
Children - Julia Ann Blackburn, Jehu Blackburn, Ephraim Blackburn
Married Mary Ann Hirons, abt 1846, Winter Quarters, Douglas, Nebraska
Children - Amasa Lyman Blackburn, Mary Elizabeth Blackburn, Hyrum Blackburn, William Blackburn, Jonathon Blackburn, Sarah Blackburn, Benjamin Lewis Blackburn,David Lawrence Blackburn
Married Susannah Jameson, 3 Apr 1852, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah
Children - Malissa Blackburn, Mannaseh Blackburn, Thomas Clifton Blackburn, Anthony Wayne Blackburn, Alonzo Blackburn, Madora Blackburn, Harriet Blackburn, Charles Thadeus Blackburn, Byron Blackburn, Walter Scott Blackburn
Married Lydia Pilch, 2 Jul 1864
Obituary - Minersville, Beaver Co., March 31, 1879
Editors Deseret News:
John Blackburn died at Nephi, Juab County, at one o'clock a.m., on Wednesday, 19th inst., of lung fever, after an illness of nine days. Was born December 25, 1824, in Bedford County, Pennsylania; was the son of Thomas and Elizabeth Blackburn; moved to the State of Ohio in 1835, and to the State of Illinois in 1841; was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1842, by Bishop David Evans, shared the expulsion of the Saints at Nauvoo in 1846; arrived in Salt Lake Valley in 1848; helped to build the Old Fort in Salt Lake Valley in 1849; pioneered and helped to build the fort in Provo, and in 1853 was called by President G.A. Smith to strengthen the southern settlements; helped to build up Fillmore City, and in 1856 built a mill in Pine Valley, and in 1859 helped to found and build up Minersville, Beaver County, and in the spring of 1876, pioneered and founded the settlement in Fremont or Rabbit Valley, Piute County, and at the time of his death was building a mill at that place.
He was the husband of four wives and the father of 21 children, 15 boys and six girls and nine grandchildren. He leaves a large family and a large number of friends to mourn his loss. Died in full faith of a glorious resurrection. Respectfully, etc., E.H. Blackburn.
(Deseret News, 16 April 1879)
History - Pinto, Washington, Utah, with its lush meadows and clear stream of good water, was a natural stopping place on the Old Spanish Trail. The chief products carried over this trail, before the coming of the Mormons, were Indian slaves and peltries. When the Mormons first arrived in southern Utah they found a well-beaten trail through the streets of Pinto.
At the April conference in 1854, President Young called a group of missionaries to the Indians of Southern Utah. Under the leadership of Rufus C. Allen, they commenced operations at Harmony, Utah. About the end of May, the same year, President Young, Heber C. Kimball, Parley P. Pratt and others of the General Authorities, visited there, President Young gave much instruction regarding conducting the mission and building up the settlements in southern Utah.
In December 1854, Jacob Hamblin with Ira Hatch, Samuel Knight, Thales Haskell and A. P. Hardy went down the Rio Virgin and settled Santa Clara. In the summer of 1855, Isaac Riddle, Jehu Blackburn and Robert Richey left Harmony and settled Pine Valley.
In the fall of 1856, six or eight Indian missionaries camped on Pinto Creek by a hay stack owned by Brother Gould, who, however, was not a permanent settler on the creek, but had come out from Parowan to cut hay. The missionaries, who were in charge of Rufus C. Allen, were on their way from New Harmony to Santa Clara. Benjamin Knell, one of the missionaries writes: "Rufus C. Allen was our president, or captain, and was with us most of the time, trying to get the Indians to come to our camps that we might let them know we were their friends. A few of the older men would come in, but were very shy. From our visit to the Santa Clara we went to Pinto and camped at Gould's hay stack in the summer of 1856. Brothers Dixon, Richard S. Robinson, Amos G. Thornton, Prime T. Coleman and David Wilson Tullis were a part of the company. That year we made our homes on the Pinto Creek hauling hay from the Mountain Meadows for our stock. The winter of 1856-57 was quite mild. Jehu Blackburn and I went on horseback up Pinto Creek to ascertain if we could get a team up the Canyon as he wanted to get into Pine Valley from New Harmony. We found the pass impossible. We drove two yoke of oxen and a heavy wagon on the trail to the head of the middle fork of Pinto creek and then climbed the ridge, getting into Pine Valley that night. Heavy freight teams enroute from Los Angeles, California to Salt Lake City would frequently camp on the Pinto Creek. The mountains were covered with grass. Jacob Hamblin was appointed our captain in a short time and he frequently came to Pinto to give us council.
Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel, Abraham O. Smoot - George B. Wallace Company (1847)
John Jehu Blackburn's Timeline
December 25, 1824
Saint Clairsville, Bedford County, Pennsylvania, United States
March 26, 1848
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
February 1, 1850
Provo, Utah County, Utah Territory, United States
January 2, 1852
February 15, 1853
June 26, 1855
Minersville, Beaver County, Utah Territory, United States
July 20, 1855
Parowan, Iron County, Utah, United States
November 13, 1857
July 14, 1860
August 20, 1861
Minersville, Beaver County, Utah, United States