Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Rabbis and students of Yeshivas Chachmei Lublin - (Lublin, Poland)

רבני ותלמידי ישיבת חכמי לובלין

« Back to Projects Dashboard

Project Tags

Chachmei Lublin Yeshiva

Chachmei Lublin Yeshiva (Hebrew: ישיבת חכמי לובלין‎, "Academy of the Sages of Lublin"; Polish: Jeszywas Chachmej Lublin) was a yeshiva which operated in Lublin from 1930 to 1940. At the time, it was one of the largest in the world. It was established in1930 by Rabbi Meir Shapiro (founder of Daf Hayomi ). Aftter his death he was replaced by Rabbi Aryeh Zvi Frommer (Rabbi of Kozieglowy), Rabbi Aryeh Leib Landa and Rabbi Avraham Yaakov Horowitz .

History and structure of the yeshiva

On May 22–28, 1924, the cornerstone laying ceremony took place for the construction of the yeshiva building. Approximately 50,000 people participated in the event.

The opening ceremony took place on June 24–25, 1930. Apart from thousands of local Jews, around 10,000 people arrived from all over Poland and abroad.The yeshiva was established to restore the crown of the city of Lublin to its former glory, as an important center of Torah study in Poland, and especially to restore the greatness of the yeshiva established in Lublin in 1515.

The spiritual overseer of the yeshiva was Rabbi Shimon Zelichover . With the death of Rabbi Meir Shapira in 1933 , Rabbi Aryeh Zvi Fromer was appointed Rosh Yeshiva and served in the position until it was dispersed by the Nazis in 1939. Rabbi Moshe Friedman, the Rebbe of Boyan-Kraków , was appointed president of the yeshiva.

The yeshiva building was designed in an eclectic style that includes oriental features by the architect Agnor Shmolkovsky. At the time of its establishment, the yeshiva was one of the most glorious in Poland. Its uniqueness was that it provided for all the needs of the students, including food and accommodation, and they did not have to rely on homeowners in the area as was customary until then. The yeshiva had about 400 students and was housed in a magnificent six-story building. Most of the study of the yeshiva was in the order of "Kodshim" and there was even a model of the Temple for study purposes. The yeshiva had a rich Torah library with 22,000 books.

In 1934 the first class of students graduated from the yeshiva.

In 1940, the Nazis destroyed the yeshiva equipment and library, which they burned in a public ceremony in the market square in front of the Jews of Lublin. The combustion lasted 20 hours. An officer who witnessed the event reported that a brass band played while a Jewish throng loudly wept as the books burned. The building became the regional headquarters of the German Military Police. After the war, in the autumn of 1945, the property was taken over by the state as an abandoned possession and assigned to the newly-established Marie Curie-Skłodowska University. It was used by the Medical University of Lublin.

After the war

Yeshivas Chachmei Lublin was re-established in Bnei Brak by Rabbi Shmuel Wosner who was a student of the yeshiva in Lublin.

Elementary school was established under the name Chachmei Lubllin in Detroit, Michigan. In 1964, it was reimbursed for the Lublin Yeshiva building, receiving $177,042.25.

After the war, the building served Lublin Polish academic institutions. In 1952 it served as a Catholic University. In 2003 it was returned to the Jewish community and today it belongs to the Jewish community in Warsaw. Beginning in 2007, a large-scale renovation of the building began, as part of which the beit midrash was restored. The synagogue, the first to be entirely renovated by the Jewish community of Poland since World War II, was reopened on February 11, 2007.

As of October 2013, a four-star hotel named Hotel Ilan was opened in the building

The yeshiva curriculum

The yeshiva welcomed outstanding young men with the potential to become rabbis and great men in Torah. The entry tests required mastery of the Tractates of Yoma , Pesachim , Beitza , Brachot and Shabbat in the Gemara , with commentaries - a total of over 400 pages of Gemara. In addition, the students were required to master the mishnayot of Tractate Tamid and Midot , the laws of "beit Habechira" in the book Yad HaHazka of the Rambam and in the laws of the Orach Chaim section of the Shulchan Aruch .

A student admitted to a yeshiva could be ordained a rabbi within four years and was recognized as a rabbi after two more years.

Yeshiva graduates

English Wikipedia
Hebrew Wikipedia Translated