Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

2nd Michigan Cavalry (USA), US Civil War

« Back to Projects Dashboard

Project Tags

Top Surnames

view all


  • Lorenzo Stampfler (USA) 2nd MI Cavalry (1825 - 1890)
    Laurent "Lorenzo" Stampfler (15 Aug 1825 - 11 Feb 1890) was born in Alsace-Lorraine, immigrated to the United States with or soon after his brother. He enlisted in Co M, Second Michigan Calvary in 1861...
  • Maj. General Gordon Granger (USA) (1822 - 1876)
    Gordon Granger (November 6, 1822 – January 10, 1876) was a career U.S. army officer and a Union general during the American Civil War. He distinguished himself at the Battle of Chickamauga. Granger...
  • Clement Charles Hutton (1820 - 1862)
    private in Michigan 2nd Cavalry Regiment, Company M Union Army

2nd Michigan Cavalry, Grand Army of the Republic, US Civil War.

The Second Cavalry was organized by the Honorable F.W. Kellogg of Grand Rapids, then a member of congress, authority being given him by the Secretary of War, subject to the approval of the Governor of Michigan. The Regiment was rendezvoused at Grand Rapids, its recruitment being completed October 2, 1861, with 1163 officers and men on its muster rolls.


  • Organized at Detroit, Mich., and mustered in October 2, 1861.
  • Left State for St. Louis, Mo., November 14.
  • Duty at Benton Barracks, Mo., till February 21, 1862.
  • Ordered to Commerce, Mo., February 21.
  • Attached to Cavalry Division, Army of the Mississippi to April, 1862,
  • 2nd Brigade, Cavalry Division, Army of the Mississippi to September, 1862.
  • 2nd Brigade, Cavalry Division, Army of the Ohio to November, 1862.
  • Unattached, District of Central Kentucky, Dept. of the Ohio to March, 1863.
  • 1st Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, Army of the Cumberland to June, 1864.
  • District of Nashville, Tenn., Dept. of the Cumberland to October, 1864.
  • 1st Brigade, 1st Division, Cavalry Corps, Army of the Cumberland to November. 1864.
  • 1st Brigade, 1st Division, Wilson's Cavalry Corps, Military Division Mississippi to August, 1865.
  • Mustered out August 17, 1865.
  • 1861-1865
  • Total Enrollment 2425
  • Killed in Action 47
  • Died of Wounds 23
  • Died of Disease 268
  • Total Casualty Rate 13.9%


The Regiment left its rendezvous under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Davis, on November 14, 1861, with orders to report to St.Louis, MO, where on its arrival, was stationed at Benton Barracks. There, Captain Gordon Granger, of the U.S. Army, who had just been commissioned a Colonel, assumed command. Soon after its arrival, they were assigned to General Pope's Army, taking part in the operations at and about New Madrid, Mo and Island #10, having skirmishes with the Confederates at Point Pleasant, on March 9th., also at Tipton Station the same month. They were actively engaged with the investment of Island #10, which finally led to its surrender. After the capture of the Island, they moved with the army, under Pope, to Farmington, MS, and being in the advance, it encountered the Confederates at Pine Hill, May 2nd., then at Monterey on the 3rd., followed by Farmington on the 5th. During the Siege of Corinth, they were actively engaged in scouting and picket duty in the surrounding country, accomplishing much hard service.

While at Corinth, Captain P.H. Sheridan, of the U.S. Army, was commissioned Colonel and took command at Pittsburgh Landing, immediately setting out for Boonville, where a spirited fight led to one of the brightest small victories of the war. From there the Regiment moved into Kentucky via Louisville, in the advance in the movement from that point on Perryville. Arriving in the vicinity of Perryville, the Regiment engaged the confederates, meeting a stubborn resistance, but dislodging the confederates from every cover with their long range repeating rifles. After the battle, the regiment followed the fleeing southerners to Harrodsburg, engaging them there on the 10th., followed by Lancaster on the 12th., then finally at Rocastle River.

Pursuit having been ordered discontinued by General Buell, the confederates moved through the Cumberland Gap and then into Eastern Tennessee. During November, the 2nd. remained in Kentucky, then in December and January, participated in the raid under General Carter into East Tennessee, severing rail lines, communications and supplies. During the 22 days of this hard fought raid, the Regiment was involved in actions at Blountsville, Zolikoffer and Watanga.

Soon after the Carter Raid, they proceeded to Louisville, from whence on February 3, 1863, they moved to Nashville. During the months of February and March, they were stationed at Murfreesboro and Franklin, making many important reconnaissances on the surrounding roads, having many skirmishes at Milton, Cainsville and Spring Hill. On the 4th. and 5th. of March, they had a severe skirmish with forces under the commands of General Vandorn and Forrest on the Columbia Pike, loosing 1 killed, 4 wounded, with 1 captured. From the 8th. to the 12th., they participated in an important reconnaissance, during which the confederates were driven across the Duck River. March 25th., they had a sharp encounter with rebels under the command of Stearns and Forrest, killing and wounding a large number, while capturing 52 prisoners and a large number of wagons filled with arms, ammunition and supplies, with a loss to the Regiment of 1 killed, 6 wounded and 2 missing. On the 4th. of June, while returning to Franklin from Triune, they had a brisk skirmish, with a loss of 2 killed and 3 wounded. Remaining at Triune until the army advanced from Murfreesboro, they were engaged at Rover, then Middletown, and on the 27th., charged the rebels into Shelbyville. On the 2nd. of July, it aided in driving the confederates from Elk River Ford, then on the 3rd., from Cowan.

In the early part of September, they were actively engaged in scouting among the mountains near Chattanooga and northern Georgia.

On the 18th., 19th. and 20th., they were in the great Battle of Chickamauga, charging the rear of Bragg's army at Fayetteville, capturing 18 men and important information, then ascending the mountains, reported to Rosecrans, then moved to the rear of the battlefield at Crawfish Springs, where they assisted in holding a critical point.

Leaving Rankin's Ferry, on the Tennessee River on October 3rd., the Regiment participated in the chase of the confederates of General Wheeler, who were then making raids on the communication lines of the army. They crossed the Cumberland Mountains, marching on the 3rd.,4th. and 5th., 103 miles, followed on the 6th.,7th. and 8th., 82 miles, all over rough and mountainous terrain, meeting the rebels at Anderson's Cross Roads. The Regiment then encamped at Winchester, at this time they were serving in the 1st. Brigade, 1st. Cavalry Division of the Army of the Cumberland.

In November, the Regiment proceeded on a foraging expedition to Fayetteville, securing 400 bushels of wheat, 65 beef cattle, between 500 and 600 sheep and many horses and mules.

Leaving Winchester on the 16th., the Regiment moved, via Shelbyville, Murfreesboro and Milton, to Liberty, thence to Sparta, over the Cumberlands, through Crossville, Kingston and Knoxville, to Strawberry Plains, fording the Holston River. On the 23rd., the Regiment marched, via New Market, to Dandridge, where at daylight on the 24th., they participated in an attack on a superior force. The fight lasting through the day, the Union forces falling back to New Market, the 2nd., losing 2 men killed, 8 wounded, with 10 captured. On the 25th., they camped at Mossey Creek, remaining here until January 14, 1864. On the 17th., they skirmished with the forces of General Longstreet, then moving on Knoxville. Falling back to Knoxville, they participated in attack on the rebels at Pigeon River, from whom they captured 3 pieces of artillery along with 75 prisoners.

On the 29th. of March, 1864, 366 men re-enlisted, being sent home on Veteran Furlough the 14th., for 30 days leave. On the 3rd. of May, the remainder of the Regiment broke camp and moved with Sherman's army on the Georgia Campaign. Marching through Tunnel Hill on the 11th., to Dug Gap, skirmishing there on the 13th., then constructed breastworks at Tipton, but crossed the Coosa River on the next day continuing the advance to Atlanta, reaching Cassville Station on the 20th, forded the Etowah River on the 23rd, reaching Lost Mountain on the 17th. During this advance the 2nd. lost 3 killed, 13 wounded. The Regiment was then sent by rail to Franklin, arriving there on the 10th. of July, where they were joined by the re-enlisted Veterans returning from leave.

Remaining there until the 30th., when they moved out the Murfreesboro Road in pursuit of General Wheeler's Cavalry, engaging them 12 miles outside of Nashville, driving them several miles, then again at Campbellville on the 5th., before returning to Franklin on the 12th. On the 27th., they again marched out, to Florence, Al, engaging the forces of General Forrest at Cypress River on the 7th.

The Regiment then moved to Four Mile Creek,Al, where they encamped until the 29th., when the confederates, led by General Hood, crossed the Tennessee River. For the remainder of the month the Regiment was engaged checking the rebel advance. On the 30th., they encountered the confederates at Raccoon Ford, but was obliged to retire. On the 31st., they marched to Sugar Creek, which for the year, brought the total, exclusive of patrols, to a total of 1364 miles on the march.

On November 1st., they moved towards Shoal Creek,AL, where they were attacked on the 5th., when after a gallant defense, were forced back to Four Mile Creek, sustaining heavy losses.

From the 9th. to the 14th., they were in camp doing scouting and picket duty. On the 15th., they broke camp and made a reconnaissance to the right of its position, encamping at Taylor's Springs, remaining there until the 20th., when they marched to Lexington,TN, leaving there on the 21st to Lawrenceburg, where they were attacked on the afternoon of that day, then fell back towards Campbellville and Columbia, skirmishing at both of these points. The 25th., they crossed the Duck River, engaging the rebels, then, and on the next two days, then on the 28th., was in line of battle near the Lewisburg Pike. On the 29th., they retired to Spring Hill, there engaged in skirmishing and again at Bethesda Church. On the 30th. they were engaged at Franklin, fighting all day, sustaining a loss of 1 killed, 17 wounded and 3 missing. The Regiment marched from near Franklin, December 1st., to within a few miles of Nashville, going into the line of battle that night. On the 2nd., they passed through the city, crossing the Cumberland River, going into camp at Edgefield, remaining there until the 12th., when they retraced their route back through Nashville, camping on the Charlotte Pike.

Remaining in the general area until March 11th, when they crossed the Tennessee River into Alabama, raiding into different towns destroying supplies, all the while skirmishing with confederates whenever they were encountered. When the war ended they were broken up into detatchments and used to garrison Perry, Thomaston, Barnesville, Forsyth and Milledgeville, while two full companies remained to help garrison Macon.

On the 17th. of August, they were mustered out of Federal service, returned to Michigan by rail, arriving at Jackson on the 26th., where they were paid off and disbanded.

Source as compiled from "Michigan Soldiers and Sailors", 1915.

Additional History and Full Rosters