Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

2nd Regiment, South Carolina Cavalry, C.S.A

« Back to Projects Dashboard

Top Surnames

view all


  • Pvt Richard W Grubbs (1838 - 1862)
    Reference: MyHeritage Family Trees - SmartCopy : Dec 30 2017, 21:56:24 UTC
  • John Owens McCants (1831 - 1908)
    Records indicate that 2 different men named “John McCants” served in the CSAThe First John McCants [ John Thomas McCants ]  SC 3rd Infantry Regiment State Troops, Company A, listed as “J. T. McCants” ...

2nd Cavalry Regiment was organized during the summer of 1862 by consolidating the 4th South Carolina Cavalry Battalion and the Cavalry Battalion of Hampton's South Carolina Legion. The unit served under the command of Generals Hampton, M.C. Butler, P.M.B. Young, and Gary. It fought with the Army of Northern Virginia at Second Manassas, South Mountain, Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Brandy Station, Second Winchester, Upperville, Gettysburg, Bristoe, Mine Run, Todd's Tavern, The Wilderness, Ground Squirrel Church, and Brooks' Church. In May, 1864, the Infantry Battalion of Hampton's South Carolina Legion was mounted and united with the 2nd Cavalry. It was then redesignated the Hampton South Carolina Cavalry Legion. After fighting at Cold Harbor, it participated in numerous conflicts south and north of the James River and the Appomattox operations. This unit contained 220 effectives at Brandy Station, took 186 to Gettysburg, and surrendered 14 officers and 225 men. Its commanders were Colonels Matthew C. Butler and Thomas J. Lipscomb, and Lieutenant Colonels W.K. Easley, Frank Hampton, and Thomas E. Screven.

Manassas II OTHER NAME: Manassas, Second Bull Run, Manassas Plans, Groverton, Gainesville, Brawner's Farm CAMPAIGN: Northern Virginia Campaign DATE(S): August 1862 PRINCIPAL COMMANDERS: Major General John Pope [US] Major General Robert Lee [CS] FORCES ENGAGED: 0 total (US 0; CS 0;) ESTIMATED CASUALTIES: 22179 total (US 13826; CS 8353;) DESCRIPTION: In order to draw Pope's army into battle, Jackson ordered an attack on a Federal column that was passing across his front on the Warrenton Turnpike on August 28. The fighting at Brawner Farm lasted several hours and resulted in a stalemate. Pope became convinced that he had trapped Jackson and concentrated the bulk of his army against him. On August 29, Pope launched a series of assaults against Jackson's position along an unfinished railroad grade. The attacks were repulsed with heavy casualties on both sides. At noon, Longstreet arrived on the field from Thoroughfare Gap and took position on Jackson's right flank. On August 30, Pope renewed his attacks, seemingly unaware that Longstreet was on the field. When massed Confederate artillery devastated a Union assault by Fitz John Porter's command, Longstreet's wing of 28,000 men counterattacked in the largest, simultaneous mass assault of the war. The Union left flank was crushed and the army driven back to Bull Run. Only an effective Union rearguard action prevented a replay of the First Manassas disaster. Pope's retreat to Centreville was precipitous, nonetheless. The next day, Lee ordered his army in pursuit. This was the decisive battle of the Northern Virginia Campaign. RESULTS: Confederate Victory CWSAC REFERENCE #: VA026

South Mountain OTHER NAME: Crampton's Gap, Turner's Gap, Fox's Gap CAMPAIGN: Maryland Campaign DATE(S): September 1862 PRINCIPAL COMMANDERS: Major General George McClellan [US] Major General Robert Lee [CS] FORCES ENGAGED: 0 total (US 0; CS 0;) ESTIMATED CASUALTIES: 4625 total (US 2325; CS 2300;) DESCRIPTION: After invading Maryland in September 1862, Gen. Robert E. Lee divided his army to march on and invest Harpers Ferry. The Army of the Potomac under Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan pursued the Confederates to Frederick, Maryland, then advanced on South Mountain. On September 14, pitched battles were fought for possession of the South Mountain passes: Crampton's, Turner's, and Fox's Gaps. By dusk the Confederate defenders were driven back, suffering severe casualties, and McClellan was in position to destroy Lee's army before it could reconcentrate. McClellan's limited activity on September 15 after his victory at South Mountain, however, condemned the garrison at Harpers Ferry to capture and gave Lee time to unite his scattered divisions at Sharpsburg. Union general Jesse Reno and Confederate general Samuel Garland, Jr., were killed at South Mountain. RESULTS: Indecisive CWSAC REFERENCE #: MD002

Antietam OTHER NAME: Sharpsburg CAMPAIGN: Maryland Campaign DATE(S): September 1862 PRINCIPAL COMMANDERS: Major General George McClellan [US] Major General Robert Lee [CS] FORCES ENGAGED: 0 total (US 0; CS 0;) ESTIMATED CASUALTIES: 22700 total (US 12400; CS 10300;) DESCRIPTION: On September 16, Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan confronted Lee's Army of Northern Virginia at Sharpsburg, Maryland. At dawn September 17, Hooker's corps mounted a powerful assault on Lee's left flank that began the single bloodiest day in American military history. Attacks and counterattacks swept across Miller's cornfield and fighting swirled around the Dunker Church. Union assaults against the Sunken Road eventually pierced the Confederate center, but the Federal advantage was not followed up. Late in the day, Burnside's corps finally got into action, crossing the stone bridge over Antietam Creek and rolling up the Confederate right. At a crucial moment, A.P. Hill's division arrived from Harpers Ferry and counterattacked, driving back Burnside and saving the day. Although outnumbered two-to-one, Lee committed his entire force, while McClellan sent in less than three-quarters of his army, enabling Lee to fight the Federals to a standstill. During the night, both armies consolidated their lines. In spite of crippling casualties, Lee continued to skirmish with McClellan throughout the 18th, while removing his wounded south of the river. McClellan did not renew the assaults. After dark, Lee ordered the battered Army of Northern Virginia to withdraw across the Potomac into the Shenandoah Valley. RESULTS: Indecisive CWSAC REFERENCE #: MD003

Fredericksburg I OTHER NAME: Marye's Heights CAMPAIGN: Fredericksburg Campaign DATE(S): November-December 1862 PRINCIPAL COMMANDERS: Major General Ambrose Burnside [US] Major General Robert Lee [CS] FORCES ENGAGED: 100007 total (US 0; CS 100007;) ESTIMATED CASUALTIES: 17900 total (US 12600; CS 5300;) DESCRIPTION: On November 14, Burnside, now in command of the Army of the Potomac, sent a corps to occupy the vicinity of Falmouth near Fredericksburg. The rest of the army soon followed. Lee reacted by entrenching his army on the heights behind the town. On December 11, Union engineers laid five pontoon bridges across the Rappahannock under fire. On the 12th, the Federal army crossed over, and on December 13, Burnside mounted a series of futile frontal assaults on Prospect Hill and Marye's Heights that resulted in staggering casualties. Meade's division, on the Union left flank, briefly penetrated Jackson's line but was driven back by a counterattack. Union generals C. Feger Jackson and George Bayard, and Confederate generals Thomas R.R. Cobb and Maxey Gregg were killed. On December 15, Burnside called off the offensive and recrossed the river, ending the campaign. Burnside initiated a new offensive in January 1863, which quickly bogged down in the winter mud. The abortive "Mud March" and other failures led to Burnside's replacement by Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker in January 1863. RESULTS: Confederate Victory CWSAC REFERENCE #: VA028

Brandy Station OTHER NAME: Fleetwood Hill CAMPAIGN: Gettysburg Campaign DATE(S): June-July 1863 PRINCIPAL COMMANDERS: Major General Alfred Pleasonton [US] James Stuart [CS] FORCES ENGAGED: 0 total (US 0; CS 0;) ESTIMATED CASUALTIES: 1383 total (US 868; CS 515;) DESCRIPTION: At dawn June 9, the Union cavalry corps under Maj. Gen. Alfred Pleasonton launched a surprise attack on Stuart's cavalry at Brandy Station. After an all-day fight in which fortunes changed repeatedly, the Federals retired without discovering Lee's infantry camped near Culpeper. This battle marked the apogee of the Confederate cavalry in the East. From this point in the war, the Federal cavalry gained strength and confidence. Brandy Station was the largest cavalry battle of the war and the opening engagement of the Gettysburg Campaign. RESULTS: Indecisive CWSAC REFERENCE #: VA035

Winchester II OTHER NAME: CAMPAIGN: Gettysburg Campaign DATE(S): June-July 1863 PRINCIPAL COMMANDERS: Brigadier General Robert Milroy [US] Lieutenant General Richard Ewell [CS] FORCES ENGAGED: 19500 total (US 7000; CS 12500;) ESTIMATED CASUALTIES: 4709 total (US 4443; CS 266;) DESCRIPTION: After the Battle of Brandy Station, June 9, 1863, Lee ordered the II Corps, Army of Northern Virginia, under Lt. Gen. Richard S. Ewell, to clear the lower Shenandoah Valley of Union opposition. Ewell's columns converged on Winchester's garrison commanded by Brig. Gen. Robert Milroy. After fighting on the afternoon of June 13 and the capture of West Fort by the Louisiana Brigade on June 14, Milroy abandoned his entrenchments after dark in an attempt to reach Charles Town. "Allegheny" Johnson's division conducted a night flanking march and before daylight of the 15th cut off Milroy's retreat just north of Winchester at Stephenson's Depot. More than 2,400 Federals surrendered. This Confederate victory cleared the Valley of Union troops and opened the door for Lee's second invasion of the North. RESULTS: Confederate Victory CWSAC REFERENCE #: VA107

Upperville OTHER NAME: CAMPAIGN: Gettysburg Campaign DATE(S): June-July 1863 PRINCIPAL COMMANDERS: Major General Alfred Pleasonton [US] Lieutenant General Wade Hampton [CS] FORCES ENGAGED: 0 total (US 0; CS 0;) ESTIMATED CASUALTIES: 0 total (US 0; CS 0;) DESCRIPTION: On June 21, Union cavalry made a determined effort to pierce Stuart's cavalry screen. Hampton's and Robertson's brigades made a stand at Goose Creek, west of Middleburg, and beat back Gregg's division. Buford's column detoured to attack the Confederate left flank near Upperville but encountered William E. "Grumble" Jones's and John R. Chambliss's brigades while J.I. Gregg's and Kilpatrick's brigades advanced on the Upperville from the east along the Little River Turnpike. After furious mounted fighting, Stuart withdrew to take a strong defensive position in Ashby Gap, even as Confederate infantry crossed the Potomac into Maryland. As cavalry skirmishing diminished, Stuart made the fateful decision to strike east and make a circuit of the Union army as it marched toward Gettysburg. RESULTS: Indecisive CWSAC REFERENCE #: VA038

Gettysburg OTHER NAME: CAMPAIGN: Gettysburg Campaign DATE(S): June-July 1863 PRINCIPAL COMMANDERS: Major General George Meade [US] Major General Robert Lee [CS] FORCES ENGAGED: 158343 total (US 83289; CS 75054;) ESTIMATED CASUALTIES: 51000 total (US 23000; CS 28000;) DESCRIPTION: Gen. Robert E. Lee concentrated his full strength against Maj. Gen. George G. Meade's Army of the Potomac at the crossroads county seat of Gettysburg. On July 1, Confederate forces converged on the town from west and north, driving Union defenders back through the streets to Cemetery Hill. During the night, reinforcements arrived for both sides. On July 2, Lee attempted to envelop the Federals, first striking the Union left flank at the Peach Orchard, Wheatfield, Devil's Den, and the Round Tops with Longstreet's and Hill's divisions, and then attacking the Union right at Culp's and East Cemetery Hills with Ewell's divisions. By evening, the Federals retained Little Round Top and had repulsed most of Ewell's men. During the morning of July 3, the Confederate infantry were driven from their last toe-hold on Culp's Hill. In the afternoon, after a preliminary artillery bombardment, Lee attacked the Union center on Cemetery Ridge. The Pickett-Pettigrew assault (more popularly, Pickett's Charge) momentarily pierced the Union line but was driven back with severe casualties. Stuart's cavalry attempted to gain the Union rear but was repulsed. On July 4, Lee began withdrawing his army toward Williamsport on the Potomac River. His train of wounded stretched more than fourteen miles. RESULTS: Union Victory CWSAC REFERENCE #: PA002

Bristoe Station OTHER NAME: CAMPAIGN: Bristoe Campaign DATE(S): October-November 1863 PRINCIPAL COMMANDERS: Major General Gouverneur Warren [US] Lieutenant General Ambrose Hill [CS] FORCES ENGAGED: 0 total (US 0; CS 0;) ESTIMATED CASUALTIES: 1920 total (US 540; CS 1380;) DESCRIPTION: On October 14, 1863, A.P. Hill's corps stumbled upon two corps of the retreating Union army at Bristoe Station and attacked without proper reconnaissance. Union soldiers of the II Corps, posted behind the Orange & Alexandria Railroad embankment, mauled two brigades of Henry Heth's division and captured a battery of artillery. Hill reinforced his line but could make little headway against the determined defenders. After this victory, the Federals continued their withdrawal to Centreville unmolested. Lee's Bristoe offensive sputtered to a premature halt. After minor skirmishing near Manassas and Centreville, the Confederates retired slowly to Rappahannock River destroying the Orange & Alexandria Railroad as they went. At Bristoe Station, Hill lost standing in the eyes of Lee, who angrily ordered him to bury his dead and say no more about it. RESULTS: Union Victory CWSAC REFERENCE #: VA040

Mine Run OTHER NAME: Payne's Farm, New Hope Church CAMPAIGN: Mine Run Campaign DATE(S): November-December 1863 PRINCIPAL COMMANDERS: Major General George Meade [US] Major General Robert Lee [CS] FORCES ENGAGED: 114069 total (US 69643; CS 44426;) ESTIMATED CASUALTIES: 2428 total (US 1633; CS 795;) DESCRIPTION: Payne's Farm and New Hope Church were the first and heaviest clashes of the Mine Run Campaign. In late November 1863, Meade attempted to steal a march through the Wilderness and strike the right flank of the Confederate army south of the Rapidan River. Maj. Gen. Jubal A. Early in command of Ewell's Corps marched east on the Orange Turnpike to meet the advance of William French's III Corps near Payne's Farm. Carr's division (US) attacked twice. Johnson's division (CS) counterattacked but was scattered by heavy fire and broken terrain. After dark, Lee withdrew to prepared field fortifications along Mine Run. The next day the Union army closed on the Confederate position. Skirmishing was heavy, but a major attack did not materialize. Meade concluded that the Confederate line was too strong to attack and retired during the night of December 1-2, ending the winter campaign. RESULTS: Indecisive CWSAC REFERENCE #: VA044

Cold Harbor OTHER NAME: Second Cold Harbor CAMPAIGN: Grant's Overland Campaign DATE(S): May-June 1864 PRINCIPAL COMMANDERS: Lieutenant General Ulysses Grant [US] Major General Robert Lee [CS] FORCES ENGAGED: 170000 total (US 108000; CS 62000;) ESTIMATED CASUALTIES: 18000 total (US 13000; CS 5000;) DESCRIPTION: On May 31, Sheridan's cavalry seized the vital crossroads of Old Cold Harbor. Early on June 1, relying heavily on their new repeating carbines and shallow entrenchments, Sheridan's troopers threw back an attack by Confederate infantry. Confederate reinforcements arrived from Richmond and from the Totopotomoy Creek lines. Late on June 1, the Union VI and XVIII Corps reached Cold Harbor and assaulted the Confederate works with some success. By June 2, both armies were on the field, forming on a seven-mile front that extended from Bethesda Church to the Chickahominy River. At dawn June 3, the II and XVIII Corps, followed later by the IX Corps, assaulted along the Bethesda Church-Cold Harbor line and were slaughtered at all points. Grant commented in his memoirs that this was the only attack he wished he had never ordered. The armies confronted each other on these lines until the night of June 12, when Grant again advanced by his left flank, marching to James River. On June 14, the II Corps was ferried across the river at Wilcox's Landing by transports. On June 15, the rest of the army began crossing on a 2,200-foot long pontoon bridge at Weyanoke. Abandoning the well-defended approaches to Richmond, Grant sought to shift his army quickly south of the river to threaten Petersburg. RESULTS: Confederate Victory CWSAC REFERENCE #: VA062

Appomattox Court House OTHER NAME: CAMPAIGN: Appomatox Campaign DATE(S): March-April 1865 PRINCIPAL COMMANDERS: Lieutenant General Ulysses Grant [US] Major General Robert Lee [CS] FORCES ENGAGED: 0 total (US 0; CS 0;) ESTIMATED CASUALTIES: 664 total (US 164; CS 500;) DESCRIPTION: Early on April 9, the remnants of John Broun Gordon's corps and Fitzhugh Lee's cavalry formed line of battle at Appomattox Court House. Gen. Robert E. Lee determined to make one last attempt to escape the closing Union pincers and reach his supplies at Lynchburg. At dawn the Confederates advanced, initially gaining ground against Sheridan's cavalry. The arrival of Union infantry, however, stopped the advance in its tracks. Lee's army was now surrounded on three sides. Lee surrendered to Grant on April 9. This was the final engagement of the war in Virginia. RESULTS: Union Victory CWSAC REFERENCE #: VA097