Anglo Boer War (1899-1902) - Boers
Anglo Boere Oorlog - Boere
This project is an extension of the The Anglo Boer War (1899-1902) . The focus of the main project is to feature the prominent figures of the war. This project is a place where we can add information about those who fought for the Boers in the Anglo-Boer War, somewhere to assemble profiles of these profiles on Geni and to share interesting tales and anecdotes about them.
How to Participate
To participate in a project you do need to first be a collaborator - so join the project! Look at the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going! Further help can be found at Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images.
To join the project use the drop down menu at the top left of the screen and click Join the Project. If this option is not available to you then contact a collaborator and ask to be added to the project. As a collaborator you will be able to edit this page.
- Please add the relevant profiles of Boer soldiers (not their entire descendants - only those who fought in the war). This is easily done from the profile page using the Add to project link. Only profile profiles can be added to projects.
- If you have interesting stories or anecdotes about someone who fought in this war please add him to the relevant section below with a brief description, adding full details to the "About" section on the profile.
- If you have any related queries please start a discussion linked to this project. (See the menu top right).
- Please add related projects to the menu on the right.
- If you have links to related web pages that would be of interest to others please add them in the relevant section at the bottom of the page.
- Add any documents of interest using the menu at the top right of the page, and then add a link to the document in the text. If you do not know how to do this please contact one of the other collaborators to assist you.
How to add a link is explained in the attached document - Adding links to Geni profiles in projects.
On 11 Oct 1899 the Boers declared war on the British after Britain rejected the Transvaal ultimatum which had demanded that all disputes between the two states be settled by arbitration; that British troops on the borders be withdrawn; and that troops bound for South Africa by ship should not disembark.
The Orange Free State joined the Transvaal in accordance with the alliance of 1897. During the Anglo-Boer War (1899–1902) the Boer commando formed the backbone of the Boer forces. The commandos disbanded after the declaration of peace in 1902.
Each commando was named after the town it was attached to (e.g. Bloemfontein Commando). Each town was responsible for a district, divided into wards. The commando was commanded by a kommandant and each ward by a veldkornet or field cornet. The commando was made up of volunteers, all officers were appointed by the members of the commando, and not by the government. Every burger (i.e. citizen) between 16 and 60 was on standby with immediate notice to be ready to report within a few hours to an assembly point stated in the notice. The message usually was delivered by a dispatch rider to people on his list, then each one notified another few on their list, and so on. Although the commandos lacked discipline, they knew the veld were toughened through struggling to farm a harsh and forbidding land. This lack of conventional military forces resulted in over confidence in the well-disciplined and organised British Army, few of whose generals understood South African conditions.
The Kommando was not restricted to a certain size. It could be anything from platoon size (12-30 fighters) up to a regiment (2,000) or a brigade (5,000). The size depended on the task and the commander’s rank usually reflected the Kommando’s size (although rank and size might often be mismatched, such as in the case of the young and brilliant General Wynand Malan who often commanded small raiding forces, and General Jan Smuts who commanded only 200-500 men in some raids into the Cape colony).
Every burger had to have at least one horse with saddle, a rifle with a minimum amount of cartridges , and usually 7 days of provisions to be kept ready in case of call-up.
Provisions consisted of Biltong (dried, salted meat) dried homemade biscuits, and coffee with sugar. Extras in the form of home brewed “Mampoer” (Moonshine) was optional but always present. Blankets and bedrolls were attached to the saddles or a group’s were put on a horse or mule drawn cart. Cattle-drawn carts or wagons as typically used in British troop columns, suitable to accompany foot-slogging infantry, were considered too slow for military operations based on the cavalry concept. The Boers had no infantry and all ranks were mounted. There were no infantry footsloggers – and so the Commandos were extremely mobile. A dismounted Boer would soon be captured - many Boers had extra horses.
Information about those who fought for the Boers can be found at Anglo Boer War Museum
Service men - Boers
Came from Hartebeestfontein, Hekpoort. His wife and 2 children were held captive in the Krugersdorp Concentration Camp
- Thomas Arnoldus Died 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Constant Willem Frederick Aveling 1885 - 1965
- Jan Coenraad Aveling 1884
- FC Barnard 1871 - 7 December 1901 (Battle of Bakenlaagte)
- Richard Davidson Bekker 1872
- Jacobus Abraham Bester 1877
- GJN Beytel 1866 - 30 October1901 (Battle of Bakenlaagte)
- John Godfrey Beytel 1860 - 30 October1901 (Battle of Bakenlaagte)
- Ferdinand Petrus Bezuidenhout 1858
- Bezuidenhout Gert Adriaan (35)
- Matthys Marthinus Bezuidenhout
- Jacobus Boshoff 1877 - 30 October1901 (Battle of Bakenlaagte)
- Corporal Willem Boshoff - 30 October1901 (Battle of Bakenlaagte)
- Christoffel Rudolph Botha 1882
- Cornelis Nicolaas Johannes Botha 1883
- Johannes Jurgens Botha 1877
- Johannes Petrus Botha
- Gerhardus Petrus Bothma 1880 - 1912
- Johannes Jacobus Bothma 1888
- Johannes L Bothma 1881
- LL Breytenbach 1883
- General Coenraad Jacobus Brits 1868 - 1932
- Cornelius Johannes Britz 1873
- Richard Frederick Brown 1849
- Richard Frederick Brown 1886
- Hendrik Bronkhorst 1849 - 1942
- Commandant Willem Hendrik Buhrman 1868 - 1932
- Barend Frederik Jacobus Burger 1868 - 1912
- Henry Robert Butcher 1882 - 1914
- Simon Streicher Cilliers 1880 - 1956
- Daniel Coetzee
- Combrink Pieter Christiaan
- Combrink Jan Hendrik
- Coetzer Jan Petrus
- Gerhardus Jacobus Cornelius Petrus Coetzee 1875
- Wenzel Christoffel Coetzer 1879
- Pieter Willem Conradie 1873 - 1959
- Frederik Jacobus Stephanus Davel 1882 - 197
- Schalk Willem Davidtz 1879 - 1950
- BJ de Bruin 1872
- Theunis Daniel de Bruyn 1865
- Theunis Christiaan de Klerk 1786-1815 Died at the Battle of Slagtersnek on 29/11/1815
- Hendrik de Clercq 1873
- General Jacobus Herculaas de la Rey 1847 - 1914
- Gabriel Johannes Delport 1863
- Daniel Stephanus de Wet - 1935
- Hendrik Christoffel de Wet 1866 - 1938
- Jan Hendrik Christiaan de Winnaar 1875
- Theodor Amadeus Heinrich Donges 1869 - 1951
- du Preez Pieter Johannes and 1 son.
- Andries Johannes du Toit 1874 - 1959
- Gerhard Albert du Toit 1868
- Fritz Joubert Duquesne 1877 - 1956
- Johannes Mattheus du Plooy 1874 - 1947
- Fritz Joubert Duquesne 1877 - 1956
- Edmond Massitisse Ellenberger 1867 - 1949
- Johannes Els 1871 - 1957
- JJH Engelbrecht 1880 - 30 October 1901 (Battle of Bakenlaagte)
- Louw Erasmus 1867 - 30 October 1901 (Battle of Bakenlaagte)
- Theunis Jacobus Esterhuizen 1882
- Willem Frederik Jacob Fischer 1854 - 1928
- Jacob Joachim Fourie 1875
- General Joachim Christoffel Fourie 1855 - 1900
- Lukas Cornelius Fourie 1879
- Louis Lukas Fourie 1880
- Commandant Hendrik Stephanus Grobler 1859 - 1938
- General Johannes Nicolaas Hermanus Grobler 1864
- Stephanus Johannes Grobler 1867 - 1921
- Stephanus Johannes Grobler 1869
- Titus Hallatt 1862 - 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Johann Heinrich August Hambrock 1873 - 1940
- Jan Christoffel Erasmus Harmse 1883
- Willem Hendrik Hearly 1873 - 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Hendrik Johannes Hefer
- With 1 son.
- Wife and 7 children in Baberton CC. One son died.
- Barend Herculaas Herbst 1872 - 1957
- Christiaan Frederik Herbst 1858
- Johannes Gerhardus Herbst 1852
- Johannes Gerhardus Herbst 1883
- Joseph Cornelis Herbst 1881 - 23 July 1901
- Mathys Johannes Herbst 1859 - 1932
- Philippus Jacobus Herbst 1871 - 1941
- Willem Jacobus Herbst 1874 - 1936
- Willem Hendrik Jacobus Casparus Herbst 1848 - 1902
- Pieter Johannes Human 1867 - 1938
- Simon Frederik Human 1867
- Pieter Daniel Jacobs 1887 - 1956
- Rudolph Johannes Jansen 1875 - 30 October 1901 (Battle of Bakenlaagte)
- Gideon Johannes Janse van Rensburg 1883 - 1957
- Leonard Gerhardus Janse van Rensburg 1876 - 1942
- Marthinus Christoffel Janse van Rensburg 1865 - 1928
- Nicolaas Pieter Johannes Janse van Rensburg – Siener van Rensburg 1864-1926
- Willem Adriaan Janse van Rensburg (18)
- Farm history: Buffelspoort Rustenburg
- Joined the Canadian Scouts on 17/4/1901
- Petrus Johannes Janse van Vuuren 1872
- Abraham Benjamin Joubert 1865
- Abraham Benjamin Joubert 1861
- Albertus Gustavus Joubert 1873 - 1939
- Andries Johannes Joubert 1874 - 1902
- Burgert Adriaan Joubert 1878 - 1900
- Carel Herculaas Jacobus Joubert 1879 - 23 March 1901
- Casper Hendrik Joubert 1880 - 11 December 1899
- Christiaan Joubert 1847 - 20 August 1900 – Battle of Vaalhoogte
- Christiaan Gerhardus Joubert 1857 - 1921
- Christiaan Gerhardus Joubert 1865 - 31 October 1901
- Christoffel Johannes Joubert
- Cornelis Ignatius Michael Joubert 1867
- Daniel Francois Joubert 1849 - 1902
- Daniel Jacobus Joubert 1855
- Daniel Johannes Joubert 1873 - 7 March 1901
- David Johannes Joubert 1849 - 1903
- David Johannes Joubert 1870 - 1945
- David Johannes Joubert 1882 - 1935
- Francois Jacobus Joubert 1863 - 1929
- Francois Jacobus Joubert 1874 - 31 December 1900
- Francois Jacobus Joubert 1875 - 1965
- Francois Jacobus Joubert 1878 - 18 November 1899
- Francois Johannes Joubert 1865 - 1934
- Frederik Jacobus Joubert 1862 - 1941
- Frederik Jacobus Joubert 1886
- Frederik Johannes Joubert 1847 - 1916
- Frederik Johannes Joubert 1885 - 1965
- Gerhardus Josua Joubert 1878
- Gert Louis Joubert 1872 - 11 December 1899
- Gert Lucas Joubert 1869 - 1957
- Gideon Jacobus Joubert 1863-1924
- Gideon Jacobus Joubert 1885 -1956
- Gideon Jacobus Johannes Joubert 1866
- Gideon Johannes Joubert 1860 - 1932
- Gideon Pieter Joubert 1881
- Hendrik Johannes Joubert 1862 - 1939
- Hendrik Stephanus Joubert 1866-1949
- Hermanus Joubert 1849 - 2 September 1901
- Hermanus Joubert 1868
- Izak Jacob Joubert 1878
- Jacob Daniel de Bruyn Joubert 1848
- Jacobus Francois Joubert 1848
- Jacobus Francois Joubert 1864 - 1929
- Jacobus Francois Joubert 1874 - 1979
- Jacobus Petrus Joubert 1877 - 1929
- Jan Johannes Joubert 1865 - 1923
- Jan Johannes Joubert 1867 - 17 August 1901
- Jan Johannes Joubert 1883 - 1923
- Jan Hendrik Joubert 1848 - 1943
- Jan Hendrik Victor Joubert 1884
- Jan Johannes Joubert 1867 - 17 August 1901
- Johannes Jacobus Joubert 1846 - 1928
- Johannes Jacobus Joubert 1861 - 21 October 1899
- Johannes Jacobus Joubert 1873 - 1952
- Johannes Jacobus Joubert 1875
- Johannes Jacobus Joubert 1877 - 21 February 1900
- Johannes Lodewyk Joubert 1880 - 1970
- Johannes Nicolaas Rudolph Joubert 1844
- Jotham Joubert 1868 - 1947
- Jozua Joubert 1865
- Lodewyk de Jager Joubert 1876 - 1900
- Marthinus Joubert 1852
- Marthinus Joubert 1873 - 7 March 1902 (Battle of TweeBos)
- Marthinus Godfried Joubert 1858 - 1946
- Marthinus Jacobus Joubert 1853 - 7 August 1901
- Marthinus Johannes Joubert 1849 - 1940
- Marthinus Stephanus Joubert 1861 - 1929
- Marthinus Stephanus Joubert 1885
- Petrus Frederik Johannes Joubert 1884 - 1965
- Pieter Gabriel Joubert 1836 - 1914
- Pieter Johannes Joubert 1838
- Pieter Johannes Joubert 1873
- Pieter Johannes Venter Joubert 1870 - 1948
- Pieter Jozua Joubert 1858 - 1937
- Stephanus Johannes Joubert 1867
- Stephanus Johannes Hendrik Joubert 1866 - 1951
- Willem Francois Joubert 1854 - 1938
- Willem Francois Joubert 1880
- Willem Francois Joubert 1881
- Willem Jacobus Joubert 1860 - 1936
- Herman Paul Fredrich Kern 1877
- Jacobus Andries Abraham Kleynhans 1878
- Johannes Adolph Kleynhans 1871
- Martin Johannes Knoetze 1856 - 23 November 1899 Battle of Belmont
- Johan Manie Kohlar 1872
- Louis Jacobus Kotze 1878
- Abraham Johannes Jacobus Kruger 1863 - 1941 POW in Groenpunt
- Barend Johannes Kruger 1869 - 1954
- Casper Jan Hendrik Kruger 1876 - 1926
- Cornelius Johannes Kruger 1881
- Jacobus Johannes Stephanus Kruger 1877 - 1965
- Jacobus Remeus Kruger 1849 - 1909
- Jacobus Remeus Kruger 1881
- Jan Johannes Daniel Kruger 1874
- Piet Frans Kruger 1866 - 1931
- Petrus Kruger 1871 POW in Bermuda
- Theunis Johannes Kruger 1876 – 1901 POW in Ceylon
- Andries Johannes Kunze 1850
- Alrich Otto Landsberg 1878 - 1960
- Jesaia Jeremia Lombard 1869
- Johannes Philippus Arnoldus Lourens 1880 - 1972
- Tobias Gerhardus Mahne 1879
- Stephanus Willem Malan 1865 - 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Abraham Stephanus Marais 1865
- Pieter Jacobus Marnewick (52)
- Wife and 8 children in Krugersdorp Camp
- Farm history: Brandvlei, Krugersdorp
- POW Simons Town
- Johannes Jacobus Marnewick St Helena
- Family in Krugersdorp Concentration Camp
- Farm history: oog van Wonderfontein Potchefstroom
- FJ Matthysen Died 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Isak Cornelius Meyer 1881 - 1929
- Hendrik Christoffel Moolman 1878
- Christiaan J Mouton Died 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Ignatius Michael Nel 1875 - 30 October 1901 (Battle of Bakenlaagte)
- Gerhardus Jacobus Nel
- and 3 sons on commando.
- Family history: Wife Christina Catharina (41) and 4 children in Barberton camp. 3 Children died.
- Source: NASA Pretoria DBC 55 Baberton Concentration Camp death register
- Farm history: Witbank, Ermelo.
- Ockert Barend Jonathan Olivier 1847 - 1901
- Cornelis Philippus Pienaar 1873 - 1920
- Frederik Petrus Pieterse 1880 - 30 October 1901 (Battle of Bakenlaagte)
- Stephanus Jacobus Pieterse 1881
- Barend Paulus Stephanus Pietersen 1869
- Ferdinand Pohlman 1864 - 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Petrus Philippus Potgieter 1873
- Johannes Jacobus Pretorius Died 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Wynand Johannes Pretorius 1867 - 1940
- Commandant Joachim Petrus Nicolaas Prinsloo 1864 - 1902 (Verkluimkop)
- Nicolaas Marthinus Prinsloo 1837 - 1904
- Thomas Andries Prinsloo Died 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Josias Petrus Albertus Reyneke 1863 - 1940
- John William Seydley Robson 1876 - 1942
- Michael Christoffel Roux 1864 - 27 November 1900
- Fred Siemssen
- Jacobus Johannes Smit 1875 - 1957
- General Tobias Smuts 1861 - 1916
- Adriaan Smuts 1883 - 1952
- Johannes Jacobus Hermanus Spies 1882 - 1968
- Christoffel Johannes Stapelberg 1870
- Gideon Johannes Hendrik Steyn 1884
- Izak Andreas Steyn 1878 - 1964
- Philippus Jacobus Fourie Steyn 1886 - 1941
- Herculaas Albertus Steynberg 1881 - 1953
- Hendrik Frederik Stieler 1874 - 1942
- Frederik Willem Stieler 1879 - 1899 | Died at the Battle of Elandslaagte.
- Lucas Barend Jacobus Stieler 1882 - 1941
- Louis Willem Johannes Stieler 1884 - 1931
- Albertus Abraham Stoop 1873 - 1931
- Leonard Gerhardus Stoop 1884 - 1940
- Stoop, Lucas Martinus and 2 sons.
- Family history: Wife Martha Elsie Johanna and 7 younger childrenin Barberton camp.1 Daughter died at age 1 year.
- Farm history: Red Hill, Ermelo
- Roelof Johannes Jacobus Strydom 1868
- Roelof Hendrik Strydom 1885
- Justus Ludolph Christiaan Swanevelder 1870 - 1952
- Cornelius Johannes Swart 1881
- Hermanus Bernardus Swart
- Family History: Wife Jeanetta hermina Alberts(25) and 5 children in Barbarton Concentration Camp. 1 Daughter, Anna Elizabeth (1.10) died.
- Farm history: Bernardus Meer, Ermelo
- Cornelis Johannes Uys 1875 - 1901
- POW St Helena
- Wife and children in Krugersdorp Concentration Camp
- Farm History: Oog van Wonderfontein, Potchefstroom
- CJ van Biljon Died 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- van der Linden Barend Daniel
- Family history: Wife Helena Wilhelmina and 3 children in Baberton camp. Son died.
- Farm history: Bloukrans, Ermelo.
- Hendrik Stephanus van der Merwe 1871
- JJ van der Merwe Died 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Jacobus Johannes van der Merwe 1879 - 1937
- Jan Willem van der Merwe 1861 - 29 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- JW van Dyk Died 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Hendrik Jacobus Johannes Stephanus van Niekerk 1870
- Johannes Anthonie van Niekerk 1870 - 1900
- Wilhelmus Petrus van Rheede van Oudtshoorn 1863
- Gerhardus Ignatius van Staden 1861 - 1927
- Frederik Rudolph van Staden 1877 - 1953
- Dirk Eliza van Velden 1869 - 1933
- Lucas van Vuuren 1880 - 21 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Christiaan Petrus van Wyngaarden 1869
- Barend Daniel van Zyl 1858
- Johannes Hendrik van Zyl 1882
- Jurgens Johannes van Zyl 1878 - 1935
- Vermaak Nicolaas Jacobus
- and 3 sons.
- Family history: Wife and 3 childen in Barberton camp. One girl die.
- Farm history: Kromkrans/z, Carolina.
- With son Carel(15).
- Family history:Wife Adriana Maria(40) and 7 children in the Baberton CC.
- Two children died.
- Farm history:Rietfontein, distrik Carolina.
- With father Andries Jacobus Viljoen
- Family history:Mother Adriana Maria(40) and 7 other siblings in the Barberton Concentration camp. Two died.
- Farm history:Rietfontein, distrik Carolina
- Abel Daniel Petrus Visagie 1880
- Hendrik Willem Visagie 1867
- Freiherr Alfred von Dalwig Heavily wounded 27 August 1900 – Died 11 February 1911 – Captain of the State Artillery ZA Republic
- Thomas Butler Vorster 1879
- Hendrik Thomas Watkins 1878 - 1943
- Carel Frederik Ziervogel 1874 - 1959
British who fought for the Boers
The British forces were boosted by Burghers or Boers who surrendered voluntarily - known as hendsoppers. They usually signed an oath of neutrality and were housed in the same camps as the women and children, usually working for the British in one way or another.
Those who surrendered and fought alongside the British were known as joiners.
There were also young men/boys recruited to join the National Scouts - many from the Concentration Camps where they were being held.
Albert Grundlingh has written a book called "The dynamics of TREASON" which explores Boer collaboration in the war.
Casus-Belli.co.uk has a helpful guide to researching British and Colonial soldiers.
- Gerhardus Herbst
- Petrus Hendrik Herbst
- Sarel Petrus/Charles Petrus Herbst
- Theunis Louis Herbst
- Willem Jacobus Herbst
- Willem Jacobus Herbst 1865
- Johannes Daniel (Hans) Jansen van Rensburg
- Gert Petrus Jacobus Joubert 1876 - 1942
- Izaak Jacob Joubert 1862
- Izak Jacob Joubert 18445
- Josua Andries Joubert 1863 - 1959
- Lucas Marthinus Joubert 1874
- Pieter Hendrik Johannes Joubert 1843 - 1905
- Johannes Cornelius Kruger
- Joseph Johannes Kruger 1869 - 1928
- Willem Jacobus Kruger 1847 - 1922
- Willem Jacobus Kruger 1871-1937
- Sybrand Adriaan Cornelius de Fortier 1875 - 1908
- Jan Daniel Francois Joubert 1883
- Joachem Hendrik Joubert 1879
- Pieter Gabriel Joubert 1885 - 1975
- Philippus Olivier Joubert 1882
- Gert Louis Joubert 1864 - 1956
At the commencement of the war in South Africa the British Army had just 88 full time nurses and despite some initial hesitation on deploying nurses, Princess Christian’s Army Nursing Service Reserve (PCANSR) formed the basis of the employment of some 2000 nurses from all over the world during the war.
Read more at Nurses in the Boer War who also have an Australian Military Ancestor Search.
There is also a nurses data base at Nursing in the Boer war
- Bidmead, Martha Sarah (1862–1940)
Martha Sarah Bidmead was the first South Australian and one of three Australian nurses who were awarded the Royal Red Cross (RRC) medal for service during the Boer War. After her war service she continued her nursing career in South Australia and assumed the position of superintendent of the District Trained Nursing Society of South Australia from 1912 until her retirement in 1926.
- Alice Sweeting Bond
Miss Alice Sweeting Bond was appointed to the Army Nursing Service on 27 January 1892. Serving in the Boer War, she was present at the defence of Ladysmith and in operations in Natal, October 1899-May 1902, serving in No.15 General Hospital, Howick, Natal. For her services she was twice mentioned in despatches and awarded the RRC. Appointed to the QAIMNS in 1903, she was promoted to Matron in 1907. Serving in the Great War, she was again mentioned in despatches and awarded a bar to her RRC. Matron Bond retired on 1 December 1920. MID LG 8 Feb 1901, 10 September 1901, 21 June 1916.
- Ellen Julie (Nellie) Gould
- Frances (Fanny) Hines - Australia's First Nursing Casualty
Links to Useful and Interesting Resources
- The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902 is the largest database of those who served in the Anglo-Boer War. The Register contains over 200,000 names and a complete and corrected casualty roll. Other information includes first names, medal entitlements, memorials, biographies and literary references.
- South Africa and the Boer Military System
- South Africa’s Boer Fighters In The Anglo-Boer War, 1899-1902 Part 1
- South Africa’s Boer Fighters In The Anglo-Boer War, 1899-1902 Part 2
- Soldiers of the Queen
See Related Projects:
- Boer Casualties
- Killed in Action
- Cape Rebels Captured & Executed During the War
- Boereverkenners/ Scouts
- League of Veterans
- Prisoners of War
- British Concentration Camps