Naval Radio Station in Arlington, Virginia In 1910, the U. S. Navy determined that Arlington’s Fort Myer was the best site for the location of a new high-powered radio station. Initial construction consisted of one 600 and two 450-foot towers. The Station was intended to provide communications from the seat of government to fleet commanders stationed off the U.S. mainland. In 1915, a breakthrough in long distance communications was achieved in Arlington with a voice transmission from New York to Mare Island, California. Not long after, a radio telephone message was received in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii and at the Eiffel Tower in Paris. These were the first instances of successful long distance overseas transmission of this type. The use of the word “radio” to describe the new wireless communication was introduced here, as was transoceanic voice communication.
Point Of Contact For This Page: Donald Colvin