One of my great great aunts married a Baron Girard de Soucanton; but I know very little about them and their reputation. However, they seem to have done some good things in Estonia in the 19th century.
In Estonia, the former Lucca summer mansion and park got its name from the town of Lucca in the Tuscany region of Italy and it was established by Arthur Baron Girard de Soucanton; who was a key player in the business life of Estonia in the second half of the 19th century, being an alderman and the mayor of Tallinn. At Rocca al Mare, there is an open air museum on the land of the former manor of Arthur Baron Girard de Soucanton. He originated from the noble line-up of Languedoc-Roussillon from France. One of his brothers (pictured far left) went to Russia.
Please add any pictures, good websites and information to the profiles listed below. There are 40 profiles in all on www.geni for the surname Baron Girard de Soucanton. Please add collaborators.
- http://www.restoranlucca.ee/eng/home/lucca (restaurant at Rocco del Mare detailing family history)
- And for house in Tallinn belonging to Arthur Baron Girard de Soucanton see a Picture of it: http://www.geni.com/photo/view/6000000010617002758?album_type=photos_of_me&photo_id=6000000017576737006&position=0).
- And for town house in Tallinn belonging once to Johan Baron Girard de Soucanton see:
http://www.egoist.ee/?mid=7 (The Egoist restaurant has closed. The building was built in 1893 and owned by Johann Carl Baron Girard de Soucanton, Mayor of Tallinn, leader of the Brotherhood of Blackheads and owner of Kunda Manor. There was/is a Russian ship bearing this surname, He was a world traveller and collector. The building was renovated according to the design of architect Rudolf von Engelhart.)
- http://www.kochiaidad.ee/?go=index&lang=eng (Sea port shopping centre in the Port of Talinn, Estonia - the building was once owned by the family according to the website. But on my recent visit to Tallinn, the Koch family history is displayed so I can only conclude that the information on the website is wrong?! The Kochi Aidad was rebuilt and opened in 2012 and perhaps never belonged to Baron Girard de Soucanton. It is unclear now!).
- http://www.eha.ee/kinnistud/kinnistud.php?module=65&op=3&kid=7799&ringkond=&print=1 (some historical information on the cement works at Kunda.)
Notable Baron Girard de Soucantons
- Arthur Baron Girard de Soucanton
- John (Johann) Carl Baron Girard de Soucanton, a. Kunda (1826 - 1896) . Kunda tsemenditehase asutaja. Gümnaasiumihariduse sai ta Tallinna Toomkoolis (1836-1845), seejärel õppis Tartu Ülikoolis (1845-1846) majandust ning Jenas ja Mecklenburgis põllumajandust (1846-1849)
- Johann Carl Baron Girard de Soucanton (1785-1868) oli Tallinna raehärra, bürgermeister ja Eesti ettevõtja. «Suka Antonite» majad ja sehvtid Die Familie Girard stammte ursprünglich aus der französis.
- Theodolph Baron Girard de Soucanton (1812 - 1878)
- Johann Karl Étienne Girard de Soucanton (1843–1910), Tallinna kaupmees ja Briti Tallinna auasekonsul, Thomas Clayhills and Son juhataja
- Alexis Hantschel Olivier (Alex ) Baron Girard de Soucanton, a. Waldau u. Hermet (1857 - 1915)
- Johann Wilhelm Eugen (Eugen) Bar. Girard de Soucanton (http://et.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Wilhelm_Eug%C3%A9ne_Girard_de_Soucanton)
- Johan Theodolph Leo (Lev Fedorovich) Baron Girard de Soucanton (1855 - 1918): Olga and he had one daughter called Olga
Useful related projects on www.geni
- Tallinna juhid - Stadthaupter von Tallinn/ Reval
- Eesti ettevõtjad
(From Alex Moes: "The Amburger Database about foreigners in pre-revolutionary Russia is based on Professor Erik Amburger's (1907 – 2001) name catalogue, which contains more than 90,000 index cards. The database has served as the basis for countless books and articles. Its particular strength lies in its great genealogical integrity. It was digitised at the then Institute for Eastern Europe in Munich during the 1990s with support from the Volkswagenstiftung, Thyssenstiftung and the Federal Ministry for Home Affairs.")