County Offaly (Kings) - Main Page
Republic of Ireland
This is the Umbrella Project Page for County Offaly (Kings) - Ireland
Please do not link profiles to this project - its purpose is to inform!
Still to come
- County Offaly (Kings) - Famous People
- County Offaly Genealogical Resources
- Historical County Offaly (Kings)
HELP is always welcome - Please get involved!!
County Offaly (Kings)
- Irish: Contae Uíbh Fhailí
- Administrative centre Tullamore
- Province Leinster
- Area 2,000 km2 (800 sq mi)
- People from County Offaly (Kings) are called -
- Motto Esto Fidelis (Latin), "Be Faithful"
County Offaly is a county in Ireland. It is part of the Midlands Region and is also located in the province of Leinster. It is named after the ancient Kingdom of Uí Failghe and was formerly known as King's County. Offaly County Council is the local authority for the county.
The following are the historical baronies located in County Offaly:
- Lower Philipstown
- Upper Philipstown
Places of Interest
- Birr in the south of the county is best known for its castle and gardens. Birr Castle is owned by the Parsons family, (the family bears the title: 'Earl of Rosse') and is best known for its 19th-century telescope, the Leviathan of Parsonstown.
- Georgian Birr
- Sculpture in the Parklands around Lough Boora in Boora Bog.
- Charleville Castle located in Tullamore
- Ancient Christian monastic site at Clonmacnoise along with ancient examples of the Irish High cross such as the 'Cross of the Scriptures', the round tower and visitors center.
- Kinnitty Castle
- Slieve Bloom Mountains with panoramic views of Counties Offaly and Laois
- Banagher and the river Shannon for cruises along the river.
- The Boora bog reserve is a haven for wildlife and most notably contain the last Irish population of the grey partridge.
- Durrow Abbey and High Cross
- Tullamore Dew Visitor Centre
- Birr Theatre and Arts Centre
- Clara Bog Nature Reserve
- Leap Castle
- Birr Historical Science Centre
- Seir Kieran
- The Old Churches of Rahan and Lynally
Towns and Parishes
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator, or collaborating with a project collaborator - so join the project. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
How to Participate
- If you have any queries please start a discussion linked to this project. (See the menu top right).
- Please add related projects to the menu on the right.
- If you have links to related web pages that would be of interest to others please add them in the relevant section at the bottom of the page. In order to do this use the drop down menu at the top left of the screen and Join the Project. If this option is not available to you then contact a collaborator and ask to be added to the project. As a collaborator you will be able to edit this page.
- Add any documents of interest using the menu at the top right of the page, and then add a link to the document in the text under the heading below. If you do not know how to do this please contact one of the other collaborators to assist you.
Please do not add the profiles off all your County Offaly (Kings) born ancestors to this project or the People connected to County Offaly (Kings) project. Rather add the earliest known person of a County Offaly (Kings) family to the County Offaly (Kings)' - Family Heads project. link to follow
References and Sources
Map from Irish Ancestors where the map is interactive.
- Ardnurcher or Horseleap
- Kilbride (Ballycowan)
- Kilbride (Kilcoursey)
- Wheery or Killagally