Early Settlers of Enkeldoorn - O, P and Q
This is a sub-project of Early Settlers of Enkeldoorn - Main Page
Extracted from Publication -
THE WHITES OF ENKELDOORN 1880 to 1980
A history of the families of european descent who settled in the area of Enkeldoorn (renamed Chivu) Rhodesia. now Zimbabwe.
Author -- Sarel Van der Walt
Completed in approximately the year 2001
POPULATION ENKELDOORN - O, P and Q
... and some GUTU RELATIVES 1880 TO 1980 All family details, dates, residences and occupations as far as could be ascertained. List not complete)
- Thomas Henry Miller 1895 / 17-4-1923
- Helena Elizabeth x Josef Francois Wepener 5 children.
- Jacobus x Elizabeth Catherina Steynberg. They came from Freestate.
- Christina Sophia x Izak Jacob Joubert 4c
- Anna Cecilia 28-10-1894/14-1-1948 x Nicolaas Johannes Kruger 5-8-1882/ ?-6-1966 6 children.
- Magdalena Wilhelmina x Jan Stephanus Mellet 3c
- Pieter Coenraad Frederick x Maria Jeanetta Cornelia Sophia Brits
- Dirk Cornelius 14-10-1868 / 2-7-30 x Jeanetta Maria Goosen before arriving. Dirk, a widower and his children arrived at Enkeldoorn from Pedi, Cape Province in 1930. They travelled by ox-wagon to Kingwilliamstown, the wagon was borrowed and did not accompany the family, then by train to Umvuma and then by lorry belonging to Barend van den Bergh and settled on Ulster Farm near Range, producing wheat and cattle. Children.
- Joachem Frederik did not marry, he did not stay in Enkeldoorn area.
- Sarah Elizabeth Christina x Willem Hendrik Dippenaar 4 children. They left the area.
- Gert Jacobus x Cecilia Jacoba Bezuidenhout 16-12-12 (Widow nee Kriek) (local girl).
- Cornelius Johannes 6-10-10 / 1-6-76 x Hester Catharina Kriek 4-1-16
- Jacobus Francois Goosen 1912-1974 x Hermina Naude of Pedi Cape Province. He left the area.
- Twin Jeanetta Maria Ebenhaezer 18-12-15 x Arnoldus Mauritius Blignaut 8-10-07/10-7-75 2 children.
- Twin Catharina Martha Magdalena 18-12-15 x Schalk Willem Rinke -1904 7 children. They settled on Kwesfontein new Featherstone, producing wheat, maize and cattle.
- Maria Isabella 1920 x Arnoldus Mauritius (Nols) Rinke 22-12-1920 1 child.
- Jozua Petrus Cilliers x Elizabeth Margaretha Struwig
- b1 Cecil John Rhodes 8-8-11 / 20-5-62(SEE DEATH NOTICE) x Maria Magdalena Hendrina (Molly) van Rooyen 31-5-1908/30-12-89 d.o. Dirk Renier and Aletta Rinke.
- Aletta Magrieta 7-5-29 / 3-3-98 x Barend Frederik (Ben) Smith 19-5-22 4 children.
- Elizabeth Magaretha (Issie) 11-7-30 x Jacobus Retief (Koot) Benade 5 children. 2x Sid Parker ?c
- Maria Magdalena Hendrika 7-11-31 x Henry van den Berch 16-12-15 2 children. 2x Bert Knott ? children.
- Anna Maria (Tick) 8-4-34 / 28-11-91 x Henry Reichert 2 children. 2x Ray Wright ? children. 3x Rocky Butler ? children.
- Joshua Petrus Cilliers (Joos) 5-7-39 x Elizabeth Margaretha Struwig (Tish) (SEE DEATH NOTICE)
- child 8-8-11
- Roelof Daniel -13
- Esther -15
- b2 Helena Margaretha Henrietta 12-7-13
- b3 David Cornelius Daniel 16-4-15
- b1 Cecil John Rhodes 8-8-11 / 20-5-62(SEE DEATH NOTICE) x Maria Magdalena Hendrina (Molly) van Rooyen 31-5-1908/30-12-89 d.o. Dirk Renier and Aletta Rinke.
- Petrus Cornelius 22-4-1896 x Sophia (Sofie) Lombard
- Joshua Petrus Cornelius (Joos) 9-6-28 x Elizabeth (Betty) O'Neill 10-5-29 ?c They left the area.
- Odendaal family lived on Riversdale
- Maria Isabella 1920 x Arnoldus Mauritius (Nols) Rinke 22-12-20 1 child.
- Hester Maria 1927 x Thomas Johannes Bezuidenhout 2 children.
- Hester Maria x (? 2x) Gerhardus Cornelius Bezuidenhout -1912 1c (-59)
- Gert Jacobus 1907
- Jan Johannes x Aletta Johanna Strydom
- Johannes Gerhardus x Anna Elizabeth Stoltz
- Johanna Arnoldina 17-1-14
- Gerhardus Johannes x Hester Catharina Kriek
- Gilleam Jacobus 14-8-51
- Adriaan Cornelius x Margaretha Isybella Naude
- Magrieta Isybella Josephia 11-3-36
- Lesley x Francina Elizabeth Hamman
- Lester 28-11-23
- Hendrik arrived 1894 with wife and children
- Marthinus arrived 1894 with wife and children
- Anna Elizabeth x Sarel Willem Wepener 3 children.
- Petrosina Carolina x Pieter Johannes Coetzee 29-8-1878 / 16-8-23 3 children.
- Elizabeth Sophia Maria x Gerhardus Ignatius van Rooyen 2 children.
- Iona Ethel x Nicolaas Johannes Coetzee 2 children.
- Johannes Hendrik Francois x Johanna Hendrina Francina Olivier
- Nicolaas Marthinus x Alida Elizabeth Johanna de Klerk
- Andries Jacobus Francois x Maria Magdalena Elizabeth Fourie
- Gerhardus Cornelius Johannes Jacobus x Petrusina Carolina Olivier
- Elizabeth Magdalena 11-4-15
- Barend Matthys x Sophia Aletta Swart
- Marthinus Jacobus x Hendrika Jacoba Nel
- Nicolaas Johannes x Martha Cornelia Maria Pistorius
- Janetta Renetta Cornelia 1-3-78
- Hendrik1887 / 1960 x Anna Maria Helena van der Merwe 1891 / 1976 Arrived 1919 with Anna's parents, who came from Natal.
The O'Neill family home at Majuba, site of decisive war of 1881 when Boers defeated the British army, was the venue where peace was discussed and signed, the Homestead was declared a South African National Monument. They settled as crop sharing Lessees on Geluksverwacht, then moved to Manzi farm, where Hendrik worked for the owner Bekker until 1946, producing wheat and cattle. Their period at Manzi was a struggle to make ends meet and both had frequent attacks of malaria. Manzi was on the road leading to Enkeldoorn with a low water drift on the Unniati river, which was close to the homestead. During the rainy season the river was often unfordable and the stranded travellers would seek shelter with the O'Neills where all were welcome, with the O'Neils, themselves short, scraping the bottom of the bucket to feed the stranded people. It was often a case of the mealie and the odd bokkie for the pot keeping them going. Transport was a donkey cart and with no refrigeration on the farm, it meant an early start to get the little produce, butter and cream for sale, to town. In 1946 they moved back to Geluksverwacht. They had six children , all except Stoffel left the area after leaving school;
- Richard died
- Annie Helena x Josua Pieter Coetzee 19-6-13 1 child.
- Maria Magdalena x Fritz Joubert
- Anna Maria died
- Christoffel Bernardus (Stoffel) 28-10-21 x Iris Mary Kok 2-7-1934. Stoffel farmed on Geluksvarwacht where in 1948 he started producing tobacco with success, he retired from active farming and his sons Hendrik and Stoffel took over. Their main farming being high quality cattle. They introduced an abattoir and stock feed plant, serving the district and beyond. They established a wild life conservatory on Geluksverwacht and neighbouring farms.
- Elizabeth 10-5-29 x Joshua Petrus Cornelius Odendaal 9-6-28 They left the area
- Gerhardus Josephus x Irene Victoria Esther Kashula
- Gerhardus was principal at Riversdale and Vlakplaas schools.
- Willem Adriaan Jacobus Christoffel x Anna Margaretha Francina Burger
- Johanna Gustaves x Johan Christiaan Landman 3c
- Susanna Cornelia x Michiel Christiaan Ackerman Neethling 17-5-1867/16-12-62 1 child.
- Christina Catharina Marthina x Hendrik Johannes Briel 4 children.
- Maria Catharina Elizabeth x Johannes Jurie Kruger 1 child.
- Keneth Edmund x Verity Meiring 15-1-44
- Kelly 13-7-66
- Magrieta Isabel 24-4-81
- Dougal x Christine Grobbelaar (1935) d.o. Daniel and Maria of Mexico Farm.
- Maria Elizabeth x Johannes Jacobus van Greunen 1 child.
- Susara Magdalena x Louis Frederik van Greunen 1 child.
- Percy x Hester Maria van Tonder 17-5-19 2 children. They farmed on Sandfontein farm.
Percy arrived in 1895 he farmed on Sandfontein farm. He had agency to supply mining group with mining timber obtained from neighbouring farms in particular from Inhoek farm. (Jan Kirstein known as Matimba)
- Helen Ria Patricia x Douw Gerbrand Steyn 1 child.
- Alexander x Irene Mande Schoombe
- Ann 29-4-28
- Alexander 19-4-3
- Mr and Mrs Owned bakery for short while jointly with Mr and Mrs Musaurakis
- William Lionel Rooke x Maria Magdalena Margaretha Groenewald
- William John 20-4-20
- Alexander Christopher 14-7-25
- John (Doctor) ex Scotland 1901/7-5-1974
- Sid x Elizabeth Magdalena (Issie) Benade nee Odendaal 11-7-1930 (her 2x)
- Kevin x ? Daughter of Peter and Grace Cormwall of Freds Butchery
- Jacobus Cornelius Andrew x Phyllis Joyce Pierce Heppel
- Andrew John 31-3-35
- Peggy Nell 2-6-39
- Doctor in Enkeldoorn
- Maria Margaretha x De Wet Albertus Hamman 1 chuild.
- Margaretha Elizabeth x Marthinus Hendrik Jacob Johannes Potgieter 5 children.
- Albertus Jacobus x Myda Lettie Gloss
- Petrus Jacobus 16-1-36
- Mr and Mrs owned the hotel
- Hendrik Jacobus x Daisy Philippina Bishop
- Mirjam Catharina 26-10-37
- Christina Gertruida x Hendrik Bekker 11 children. First owner who named his farm Enkeldoorn.
- Louisa Maria Johanna x Theunis Christiaan Prinsloo 1 children.
- Martha Aletta x Francis John Eagar 1 child.
- Maria Magdalena 14-1-188/22-9-66 x Rudolph Johannes van den Bergh 8-3-1886/24-6-54 10 children.
- Maria Magdalena Elizabeth Johanna x Gerhardus Jacobus de Klerk 3 children.
- Johannes Adam (woman) x Johannes Nicolaas Vosloo 3 children.
- Hester Cecilia x Guilleam Johannes Davel du Toit 2 children.
- Gerhard x Teresa Benade 1970
- Casparis Johannes x Maria Elizabeth Jansen van Rensburg
- Casparus Johannes 21-8-19
- Aletta Johanna x Lodewyk Petrus (Jnr) Spies 2 children.
- Martha Cornelia Maria x Nicolaas Johannes Olivier 1 child.
- Tokkie x Louis Frederik Symington 18-5-42 They left the area.
- Frederik Cornelius x Valerie Francis Taylor
- Petrus Frederik 29-11-74
- Miss Pistorius 1929 / 34 a teacher at Liebenberg School
- Solly x ?? general dealer
- Adriana Johanna x Hendrik van Huysteen 1895 1 child.
- Johanna Maria x Dirk Cornelius Meyer 3 children.
- Dora x Johannes Jurgens Coenraad Bezuidenhout 3 children.
- Hester Susanna 1930 x Alexander Jacobus Heyns 13-2-26/21-2-53 2 children.
- Catharina x Hendrik Johannes van Aard 2 children.
- Andries Antonie x Johanna Elizabeth Holthauzen
- Johannes Christiaan x Johanna Margaretha Cilliers Wentzel
- Hermanus Carel Andries x Fredrika Magdalena Smith
- Amanda Isabella 27-7-70
- Benjamin Jacobus x Johanna Francina Prinsloo
- Johannes Matthews 9-10-32
- Anna Catharina 27-10-34
- Stefanus Christiaan x Alida Maria Barnard 2-3-21
- Dirk Wouter x Maria Magaretha Hamman (both murdered 1896 during the Mashona War) came from Bultfontein, Orange Free State, travelling by ox wagon. They arrived in 1896. They had 5 sons and 2 daughters.
- Cornelius Michiel x Maria Johanna Magdalena Briel
- David Johannes 1876/28-4-46 x Rachel Elizabeth Kok 1887/18-8-42
- David was a church counciller all his adult life. He worked as a prison Gaoler at the Enkeldoorn prison till 1908 and then went farming on his own farm Palmietfontein along the Blinkwater road, concentrating on wheat and cattle.
- David Dirk Wouter 13-4-1906 x Elizabeth White. They left.
- Martha Johanna -3-1908 x Jacobus Swartz They left.
- Herman Gerhard 31-3-10 x Isabella Susanna Kirton 23-5-27
- Martha Maria Magaretha (Lulu) 12-3-12 x Johannes Steyn They left.
- Rachel Elizabeth 25-7-14 x Martin Cronwright They left.
- Gert Stefanus 5-3-20 x Catheline Eastwood They left.
- David Johannes 7-1-26 x Elsie Johanna Joubert .
- child -29
All, except Hermanus Gerhard and David Johannes. left the district after leaving school. Hermanus Gerhard worked on the Abercorn Ranch, beyond the Manese Hills, then on Gavunga then Leeufontein before he left the area for Shabani where he lost his eyesight in a war accident.
David Johannes farmed on Palmiet Fontein for 1943 / 1946 till his father died and the farm was sold. He left the area.
- Ashley x Michelle Kok -1961
- William George (1880 - 1957) x Katrina Susanna (Katie) Kok
- Rhoda Grace (1907 - 1971) x Hermanus Gerhardus (Baas) Kok (1911 - 1980)
- Alfred Emanuel x Margaretha Maria van Niekerk
- Fredrika Margaretha 1-6-14
- Anna Maria 4-5-18
In 1888, the brothers Felix (Willie) and Herman (Harry) Posselt, sons of German parents, previously from Pinetown, Natal but then living at Middelburg Transvaal, were hunting in the vicinity of the Zimbabwe ruins where they were involved in the removal of some of the famous stone birds. Together with brother Theodor (Ted), a transport rider, they responded to Rhodes' call for settlers and left for Charterland with 5 wagons. They were joined by others and the group numbered 22 wagons when they crossed the Limpopo.
Felix (Willie) and Herman (Harry) stopped at the area they had selected and called their farms Felixburg and Grasslands respectively. Theodor (Ted) continued with his transport to Fort Salisbury but later returned and farmed approx 3 miles from Range to East of Girliesfontein B His son Theodorus was a fighter pilot in W.W.2
- Herman Eberhard x Susanna Anna Jordaan
- Johannes Wilhelmus x Fredrika Johanna de Waal
- Theodore Wilhelm 14-4-11
- Theodore Wilhelm x Editha Louisa Maria Nauhaus
- T. Posselt served as Civil Commisioner
Willem widower with two sons Willem and David and a daughter Annie came from Middelburg Transvaal, travelling by Oxwagon with the Posselt brothers. They arrived 1891. They settled on Wildebeestlaagte, Leeufontein and Hartebeestlaagte. Later Annie, as the first settler woman in Mashonaland, was also granted a farm.
- Willem Frederik (Senior) (1845) x (she died before 1891) 3 children. Second marriage with Grieta nee Bester, her 2x (Her first x was Casper van der Merwe)
- Children from the first marriage.
- The first marriage celebrated in the community. She married (2x) Cornelius Rudolph Halgryn 1 child.
- Susanna Jacoba x Petrus Nicolaas van der Merwe 3c
- Susanna Hendrika x William Skinner 2c
- Dirkie Elizabeth x Theodorus Hermanus Gerhardus de Klerk 4 children.
- Cornelia Sarolina x Tielman Johannes Roos 3 children.
- Marthinus Hendrik Jacob Johannes x Margaretha Elizabeth Pepler
- Izak Gert Hannes x Anna Elizabeth Smit
- Ewert Frederik 24-12-33
- Cornelius x Christina Gertruida Prinsloo
- Joachim Frederik 15-1-36
- Salomon Johannes x Johanna Dorothea Wilhelmina van Staden
- Salomon Johannes 9-8-41
- Salmom Johannes a widower whose wife Johanna Heyns from Chimanimani had died in 1928, arrived in the area in 1932 with two sons and two daughters. He settled on Girliesfontein B, North of and butting on Range where he produced wheat, cattle and maize till he left the area in 1938. The family returned in 1940 and farmed north east of Range. Son George left the area shortly after. The children were:
- Dirkie Elizabeth 1918 x Theodorus Hermanus Gerhardus de Klerk 5 children.
- Theodorus Johannes x Bettie Joubert of Gatooma. left area after leaving school..
- Johanna Salomina Barendina 1923 x Willie Happelt of Somabulla and left the area. She had worked in Blank's Store till she married.
- George Frederick 4-11-1924 x Ree Erasmus 10-1-1926 of Jakalsbank farm left area George returned in 1990 to work as manager for McClean on Minverwacht. XX Irene Gardiner, nee Coetzee 18-6-24 0c
- Jennifer Ann x Stephanus Abraham Cloete 2c
- Walters x Albertus Pieter Meiring 1c
- Casper Philippus x Johanna Carolina Susanna Petronella Brits
- Dirk Jacobus x Aletta Wilhelmina Christina Lewis (her 2x)
- Gesina Elizabeth Christina 23-7-18
- Jean Charles Frederik x Martha Susanna Christina Steyn
- Jean 18-2-25
- Petrus Stefanus x Elsje van der Merwe
- Johannes Petrus x Maria Louisa Kathrina Margaretha Elizabeth Snyder
- Johannes Hendrik 10-3-13
- Rachel Louie
- Gertruida Paulina 1936 x Pieter Hendrik Blignaut 7-10-1930 3 children. They left the area.
- Hyla Elizabeth x Alexander Jacobus Heyns 28-9-26 1c
- Dina Johanna 1922 x Johannes Paulus Pretorius 1 child.
- Marion Lynette 2-4-49 x Brian Reginald Kok ?-11-1952 3 children.
- Elizabeth x Wouter Human Meyer 1937
- Elizabeth Catharina Barendina x Gerhardus Steenkamp 3c
- Helena Elizabeth x Willem Marthinus Davel 2 children.
- Hester Maria Elizabeth x Niolaas Petrus Jansn van Rensburg
- Johannes Lodewikus x Engela Susanna Barnard SEE DEATH NOTICE
- Helena Elizabeth 21-3-16
- David Benjamin 27-10-17
- Gerhardus Jacobus 30-8-20
- Johannes Paulus x Dinah Johanna Pretorius
- Paul Johannes x Dirkie Cornelia Diedericks
- Pieter Gerhardus 7-10-49
- Noeline 25-12-52
- Roelof Adriaan x Janetta Renetta Cornelia Heyns 5-2-34
- Magrieta Magdalena 14-8-61
- ? x Annie Susanna de Klerk d.o. Old Teuns de Klerk
- Hendrik arrived in 1895 with wife and one daughter.
- Jan early settler on Buffelsfontein farm.
- Zacharias arrived 1894 with wife and three sons, settled on Bultfontein farm.
- Maria Elizabeth x Dirk Wouter du Plooy 6 children.
- Margaretha Gertruida x Gerhardus Lodewikus Halgryn 3 children.
- Margaretha Cornelia Elizabeth x Solomon Cornelius Swart 1 child.
- Elizabeth Wilhelmina x Martin Johan Cloete 1 child.
- Heilitjie Levina x Carel Johannes Grobler 2 children.
- Christina Gertruida x Cornelius Potgieter. 1 child.
- Johanna Francina x Benjamin Jacobus du Plessis. 2 children.
- Theunis Christiaan x Louisa Maria Johanna Pienaar
- Salomon Pienaar 10-11-14
- Hendrik Petrus x Elsie Sophia Catharina Maria Stopforth
- Willem Hugo 1909
- Hendrika Catharina 1910
- Pistorius Rachel 1913
- Jacoba Dorothea 1916
- Carel Augus 1913
- Johan Hendrik 1916
- Rodney (Civil servant) x Maria Magdalena Engelbrecht 29-6-36 They left the area.