Early Settlers of Enkeldoorn - W, X, Y and Z
This is a sub-project of Early Settlers of Enkeldoorn - Main Page
Extracted from Publication -
THE WHITES OF ENKELDOORN 1880 to 1980
A history of the families of european descent who settled in the area of Enkeldoorn (renamed Chivu) Rhodesia. now Zimbabwe.
Author -- Sarel Van der Walt
Completed in approximately the year 2001
POPULATION ENKELDOORN - W, X, Y and Z
... and some GUTU RELATIVES 1880 TO 1980 All family details, dates, residences and occupations as far as could be ascertained. List not complete)
WALT VAN DER
- Johanna Sophia (Hannie) 5-3-1911 /-2002 Assistant teacher at Loudia school (1934) writer of the book "Kinder jare op Nauhoho" x Solomon Ignatius (Samie) Maritz from Salisbury
Johanna, who's parents farmed on a section of the Nauhoho block approximately midway between Bembesi and Fort Rixon, attended the Enkeldoorn Junior School as a boarder. Her father conveyed her by donkey cart to Lockart railway siding. From there the child went by train to Gwelo where she had to find her own way to the Umvuma train. At Umvuma she and other children, were met by transport organised by the Principle and conveyed to Enkeldoorn. At the end of term the reverse direction had to be negotiated. At standard five Johanna was awarded a Beit Scholarship and went to Chaplain senior school where another scholarship took her to the Bulawayo Teacher Training College. Not yet 18 she qualified as a Government teacher, the all time youngest teacher to qualify. She had to wait till full 18 before being appointed to a school. The next five years saw her teaching at various schools .
She frequently had pupils who were her seniors in age. By 1933 she was back at Enkeldoorn as assistant teacher at Loudia Junior school. While at Loudia she met Solomon Maritz, the grand-son of Francois Maritz , the early settler who was the first white to be murdered in the area. Solomon was then working in Salisbury. They were married in the Greystone Church (built by her father) on 16 December 1934.
WALT VAN DER
They came from Western Transvaal where they farmed near Wolmaransstad. Travelling by donkey drawn wagon and horse cart to the rail head and then by train to Umvuma and from there by oxwagon and horse cart to their destination on Opel farm. The oxen had been provided and sent to the station by Hoffman. They settled on Opel farm, four miles west of the Featherstone post office, where they died. They produced cattle and crops. They had twelve children.
- b1 Baby daughter 27-5-1888/18-7-1888
- b2 Catharina Johanna 27-6-1889 x J. Donaldson (they stayed in South Africa)
- b3 Johannes Nicolaas 10-10-1890/12-2-1964 x Sophia van Biljon !5-3-1897/15-7-1968
Johannes known locally as Hannes Tarentaal and Sophia settled on Jackalsdraai farm, three miles South East of Featherstone post office, they had two daughters educated at Riversdale Junior School and Liebenberg Senior School, both left the area after leaving school. Johannes and Sophia both died in the district.
- b4 Jan Albert 24-11-1891/27-1-70 x Magdalena Johanna Venter (Farmed on Duncanston)
- Jan Albert and Magdalena farmed on Dunconston farm adjacent to Jackalsdraai on the Umniati river till 1932 when they left the area. Their older children attended Riversdale School as boarders.
- b5 Emerentia Fredrika x Petrus Casparus.Venter (They stayed in South Africa)
- b6 Johanna Maria Barendina 8-6-1895 x Johannes Lodewikus Botha (Farmed at Lessee)
- b7 Renske Susanna Gertruida 26-4-1897 x P. Venter (They stayed in South Africa)
- b8 Anna Catharina 1899 x G. Venter (They stayed in South Africa)
- b9 Maria Jacoba Magrieta 25-4-1901 x H.J. Kriel (They stayed in South Africa)
- b10 Hester Sophia 13-10-1903 x Jacobus Ignatius Bester (Kopje Alleen, Enkeldoorn) 6 children.
- b11 Frans Sarel Jacobus 16-10-1905 x Johanna Steyn 2x Wilhelmina, sister of widow v.d. Merwe
Frans farmed on Harvieston farm producing cattle and crops. Their children one son and one daughter, attended Riversdale and Liebenberg schools. They left the area.
- b12 Tjaart (Tjaardina) Nicolaas 3-10-1907/2000 x Marthinus Coetzee 25-8-1894/25-6-75 2 children.
- Emmerentia Fredrika 1919 x Jan Hendrik Blignaut 1914 2 children.
- Magdalena Johanna1919
- Catharina Johanna 1924
- Albertha Margaretha 1918
- Gert Hendrik Jacob x Elizabeth Gertruida Stroebel
- Gert Hendrik Jacob 6-5-18
- Arnoldus Francois x Elizabeth Margaret de Villiers
- Johannes Philippus 3-11-59
- Johanna (8-6-1895) and husband Botha farmed as Lessees, crop sharing. See under Botha.
- Tjaardina (3-10-1907) and husband Marthinus Pieter Coetzee farmed on Riversdale. See under Coetzee.
- Johan George x Henrietta Cloete
- Abraham Bernardus 1-3-81
- Karen Ann x David Louw Kirstein 2c
- Mr. 1929 / 34 a teacher at Enkeldoorn School
- Eric 1956 / 66
- George Lionel 25-12-52 x Arlene Sheryl Kok 14-10-55 2c
- Albertus Petrus x Johanna Helena Viljoen
- Walter George 29-11-11
- Susanna Alida 12-12-12
- ? Manager of Charter Estate and Chairman Featherstone Road Council
- Johanna Jacoba x Frederik Willem Barnard 18-7-1886 / 6-7-1956 4 children. (brother of Johan)
- Magdalena Susarah Gertruida Johanna x Johan Chris Barnard 22-4-1883/17-5-1954 5 children.
- Magdalena Susanna Gertruida Johanna x Johannes Jurie Erasmus
- Ellen Sophia Catharina Maria x Hendrik Johannes Spies 3 children.
- Sara Jacoba Carolina x Jacob Letterstead Smit 3 children.
- Johanna Catharina Elizabeth x Johannes Jacobus du Toit 3 children.
- Hendrika Wilhelmina x Petrus Paulus Johannes Heymans 1 child.
- ? x Lal Barnard
- David was a batchelor
- Anthonie Christiaan Frederik (Boet) 23-6-1893/ 28-11-1978 x Martha Maria Magdalena du Toit
- Willem Petrus Jacobus x Catharina Johanna du Toit (she 2x) (Father of W.P.J. had store.)
- Hester Francina x Christiaan Hendrik Grobler 1c
- Johanna Margaretha Cilliers x Johannes Christiaan du Plessis 4c
- Susanna Magdalena 1909
- Jacobus Gerhardus Johannes 1911
- Sarel Willem x Anna Elizabeth Olivier
- Josef Francois x Helena Elizabeth Oberholzer
- Pieter Erenst x Maria Gertruida Diederiks
- Anna Elizabeth 7-11-33
- Willem Cornelius Jacobus x Nellie Caroline van Heerden
- Willem Cornelius Jacobus 2x Johanna Cornelia Smit 1926
- Richard Clarence x Sarah Maria Kirstein 10-4-60
WESTHUYZEN VAN DER
- Mathys Marthinus (woman) x Johannes Cornelius Stopforth 2 children.
- Adriana Maria Catharina x Jan Andries le Roux 2 children.
- Elizabeth Francina x Christiaan Johannes Rabe 4 children.
- Jacobus was killed in action, Anglo Boer War. Johann, with their children were captured and kept in Concentration camp. On release after the war they had no home or means of survival. The three eldest boys Daan, Tom and Koos went to Rhodesia where they obtained employment on farms where their Mother followed with the other seven children and moved into a house on the farm of her son-in-law Bernardus Bester till she 2x Steenkamp
The children (not in birth order)
- Jacobus (Koos) 1878 x Susanna (Sannie) Bester Verwagting 3 children.
- Kitty (? Catharina) 1878 x Hendry Belmore farmed near Umvuma
- Anna Maria Petronella 27-7-1879/5-3-40 x Bernardus Hermanus Bester 18-8-1872/16-10-39 4 children.
- Jacoba Elizabeth x Pieter Jacobus Cloete 5 children. 2x Rudolph (Roelf) Kruger. They left the area.
- Johanna Susanna 23-11-1893/2-12-1981 x Pieter Johannes Andries Brits 25-10-1883/13-8-68 6c
- Jacoba Elizabeth Roets x Pieter Jacobus Cloete 30-7-1881/8-9-1958 farmed on Vlakplaas ?c
- Johanna Sophia 1-4-1881/28-1-1948 x Dirk Johannes van den Berg 2 children.
- Petrus Gerhardus x Johanna Herculina Lombard
- Also a son who had suffered Polio and at 14 insisted on accompanying his father in action against the British. He was kiled in action.
- Johanna Sophia x Cornelius Johannes Roelofse 1 child.
- Susanna Johanna x Pieter Johannes Andries Brits 1 child.
- Johanna x Christoffel Bernardus van der Merwe 6-8-29 7c
- Grace x James Wheeler Whitfield continued on Ashton farm
- Wouter x Aletta Margaretha Boshoff 21-6-25 (grand-d.o. Oupa)
- Susanna Johanna 1909
- Judith Magdalena 1916
- Cecilia Johanna Wynsina 1918
- Christina Wilhelmina 1919
- Johanna Susanna 1921
- George Hendrik Adriaan 1925
- Jacobus Ignatius x Johanna Sophia Bester
- Jacobus Johannes x Catharina Wilhelmina Hattingh
- Willem Sterrenberg x Elsie Sophia Jacoba Meintjies (widow of Theunis Christiaan de Klerk)
- Jacobus Ignatius 16-5-33
- Michael Alfred 23-1-49 (adopted)
- Frederik Francois x Wilhelmina Christina Coetzee 4-11-07
- Frederik Francois 3-6-38
- Hendrik Schalk 21-11-40
- Maria Petronella 7-1-46
- Johannes Petrus 17-5-48
- Jacobus Kosie) x ? de Klerk They farmed on Wonderklip. After his death she continued there.
- Jacobus (Kosie) ? / 1995 ? x Sannie ? They farmed on Verwagting ( before du Pont)
- daughter x Gerrit Hendrik (Henry) Jooste
- Sannie x Jan Blignaut
Members of family farmed on Ngesi-Poort, Verwagting, Wonderklip, and next to Langlaagte .
- James x Elizabeth Benade
- child 19-12-79
- de Wet x Johanna Sophia Bester
- Thomas 5-10-1818 (England) / 2-8-1889 (Middelburg, Tvl.) x Sarah Baylis (7 March 1823 - 7 February 1899) (Middelburg Transvaal). They had 9 children.
None went to Rhodesia.
The two brothers b2c1 James (1866) and b2c4 Thomas (1874) from Loskop area, Middelburg District, Transvaal went to Rhodesia, on reconnaissance and purchased from the Potgieter family, Wildebeestlaagte and Hartebeeslaagte. They went back to fetch belongings and families. Accompanied by their relative Smit, trekking with donkey-drawn wagons they arrived in 1899.
- b2 James 15-3-1844 / 10-7-26 x Elizabeth Mary Powell 1-1-1846/31-7-15(both stayed in SA)
- c1 James (1866 - 1947) x Elizabeth Johanna (Betty) Erasmus ?/1938 (x in SA)
- d1 Anne Margaret x Hendrik Matthews (Rex) Kok 1880 / 55 1 son, 1 daughter. They left area.
- d2 Mary Elizabeth (Polly) 1892 / 69 x Gert Stephanus Kok 1891/1956 5c
- d3 James 1894 / 4-7-1935 x Ethel Cummings 0 children. 2x Maria Jacoba Bosman 1895 / 21-3-1955 (teacher)
- e1 James 1925 x Heletjie Aletta Jacoba Lock
- e2 Ronald Peter 1927 x Wilhelmina Johanna van der Merwe 1933
- e3 Norman Cecil x Joan Margaret Shirley. They left the area.
- f1 Peter Gerald 16-4-59
- e4 Thomas Gerald x Joan Barclay. They left the area.
- e5 Eric Edwin x Anna Isabella Achman. They left the area.
- d4 Martha Maria x Cecil Crosby Tarr 3 children.
- d5 Caroline x Garnett Whitfield (Ashton Farm) 3s 2d.
- d6 Maria Catharina x Johannes Jacobus Smit (Teacher Wildebeeslaagte) 5 children.
- d7 John William 1899 (Rhodesia) / 1960 x Anna Helena van der Merwe 1900/ 68
- e1 Anna Helena (Babe) 11-2-23 x Edgar Snel Lettersted
- e2 Jessie John 9-8-29
- e3 James Thomas (Jim) 3-7-1932 x Cornelia Petronella (Cookie) Smith 1936
- f1 John William 11-8-56 x Freda Bekker 1958 1s 2d
- f2 Issabel Susanna 28-3-58 x David Kucharski 1955 2 daughters.
- f3 Alwyn Jacobus 20-12-60 x Patricia Raubenheimer 2 daughters.
- f4 Anna Helena 28-12-61 x Frank Kucharski 2 daughters educated at Liebenberg and Chaplin High (Alwyn at K.G.6 Bulawayo) all f1 to f4 left area after school.
- d8 Sarah x Christoffel Barnardus van der Merwe 7 children. (Veeplaas)
- d9 Emily x Louw Hoffman (Cousin of Kais ) (Roodebult)
- d10 Ellisabeth x Rudolph Bosman 12-12-1896/15-4-70 (Teacher on Wildebees). 2 sons.
- d11 Ethel Laura 12-11-13 x Johnny Fox (not local) 1 daughter.
- c2 George Andrew Stayed in S.A.
- c3 John (Jack) Stayed in S.A.
- c4 Thomas 14-12-1874 (Middelburg Transvaal) / 18-9-1949 (Longhope, Enkeldoorn) x Martha Magdalena Adlam 13-11-1890 (Natal) / 25-6-1979 (Longhope Enkeldoorn). He came to Enkeldoorn in 1899 with his older brother b2c1 James, travelling by donkey wagon accompanied by relative Smit. He married Martha at Enkeldoorn. They farmed on Longhope (followed by Percival then Kais Hoffman). They had 10 children.
- d1 Margaret Magdalena 8-6-1811/ 20-3-1913
- d2 Thomas 27-11-1912 / 9-3-1916
- d3 Elizabeth Mary 10-5-1917 / 20-11-1918
- d4 Martha Magdalena 7-2-1917 / 2-11-1996
- d5 baby died
- d6 Edith Gertrude 21-6-1922 x Jurgens Hendrik Grobler 25-12-13 2 children.
- d7 Charles Randal 11-12-1923
- d8 Victor Henwood 8-1-27/2-1-91 x Annie van der Merwe. Victor owned local Hotel.
- d9 Ernest Percival 23-11-31 x Anna Magdalena Smith 21-10-37
- d10 Elizabeth Mary (Polly) 15-1-33 x Allan Derek Kok 18-10-1929 6 children.
- c5 Dick (went to Kenya)
- c6 Caroline Stayed in S.A.
- c1 James (1866 - 1947) x Elizabeth Johanna (Betty) Erasmus ?/1938 (x in SA)
Wildebeeslaagte was subdivided into Longhope 4000acres which was allotted to b2c4 Thomas. The remainder Wildebeeslaagte 2000 acres was consolidated with Hartbeeslaagte 6000 acres and the full 8000 allotted to b2c1 James. Hartbeeslaagte was subsequently subdivided, 3000 acres called Fairview and remainder 3000 acres allotted to his 2 sons b2c1d3 James and b2c1d7 John William 1899 / 1960.
- b2c1d7e3 James Thomas x Cornelia Smith received part and by purchasing the rest by 1958 obtained full posession of both Wildebeeslaagte and Hartebeeslaagte.
The main production on the farms was wheat with small numbers of cattle. At times cattle were grazed for the Speculator Gert Kok.
- Anne Margaret x Hendrik Matthews ( Rex) Kok 1890 / 55 ?c
- Ethel Laura 12-11-13
- Elizabeth Ethel Mabel x Karl Rudolph Krause 6c
- Henry x Maria Elizabeth Gertruida Roussouw 1914
- Zacharias x Elsie Josina van Rensburg
In the early days transport was cart and horses and every Friday morning a picanin was sent on foot to Enkeldoorn carrying a box of eggs and other produce and a stick with a list of basic provisions, for which payment was by barter.
- Gideon Hermanus 25-9-42 x ? Wheeler
- Ian Thomas 28-8-57 x Marinda Vaneck 2s
- Garnet x Caroline Wheeler app.1890 (3s2d) farmed on Ashton
- James Wheeler Whitfield x Grace de Wet continued on Ashton
- Calvin x Valerie ? Marais continued on Ashton
- John 2-5-1881 / 22-7-1954 at advanced age x widow with 2 sons.
- They farmed on Just In Time which he sold to William Lock.
- Alaistair William x Elizabeth Wilhelmina Jonker
- Deon MacAlaster 5-5-56
- Mr. A x Mrs lands inpector farmed on Grassdale then moved to town lost son in war
- Elizabeth x David Dirk Wouter du Plooy 13-4-1906 (left)
- Cattle inspector reputed to be one of the first owners of a motor car
- Alfred Edward 1877 / 1960 x Dorothy Selby 1883 / 1968
- Herbert Edward 1913 / 1971
- Member i.c. Police, Enkeldoorn 1948 Organiser of revamped Gymkhana Club.
- Phil x Johanna Catharina (Joe) van Rooyen
- Keith x Petronella Elizabeth Dreyer 20-7-66
- Glen Robert 13-11-84
- Marilyn Elizabeth 30-5-87
- August Dieterich Ferdinand x Christina Catharina Nieuwoudt
- Roma 20-1-28
- August Dieterich 1-1-30
- June 15-6-54
- Clive x Elma Joy O'Neill 31-8-63
- Desmond 14-8-61 x Anna Maria Lamprecht 16-6-61 lived on Uiykyk 3 years then left the area.
- Sharlene Deserei 1986
- Bianca 1992
- ?? Councillor and later Chairman of Featherstone Road Council
The family lived in town
- Elizabeth Maria nee ? 13-8-1881 / 22-7-1972
- Heiletta Maria 13-8-1889 / 22-7-1972
- Amalia x Antonie Christiaan Frederik Steenkamp 6 children.
- James William 1-12-1878/10-7-48 x Heiletta Maria Catharina Steenkamp 13-8-1889/ 22-7-72
- Henry x Charlotte Robertha Maria Cocklin
- George 26-1-1884/9-2-1943 x Anna Maria Jacoba Steenkamp 19-8-1893/22-12-1959
- James William x Magrieta Magdalena Heyns
- John Gibson 15-5-72 x Hester Alexander Jacobus 13-3-76
- Mr and Mrs Johnny Wray owned Plein store
- Ray x Anna Maria (Tick) Odendaal 8-4-33 / 28-11-91 (her XX)
- Johannes Hendrik x Salomina Magdalena Loubscher
- Adriaan Jacobus 5-11-39
- Adriana Maria x Pieter Hilgard Rademeyer 10 children.
- Johanna Levina x Willem Johannes Grobler 6 children.
- Esther Maria x Charles William Stratford 1 child
- Willem x Theuna Gert Coetzee 26-4-05 / 11-5-81 4 children.
- Catharina Elizabeth x Jacob Johannes Carolus Greyling 1909 5 children.
- Ignatius Wilhelmus x Theunis Gert Coetzee 27-3-16
- Adriana Maria 11-7-34
- Johannes Jacobus x Helena Elizabeth Lategan
- Eve Winnifred 17-12-34
- Adriana Cecilia x Johan George Hermabnus Viljoen 1c
- Willem x Miem Coetzee XX sister in law widow Nonnie Coetzee nee van der Merwe (her XX)
- Weitzke x Maria Petronella (Miem) Coetzee 21-2-1897/10-12-62
- Pieter 29-3-25
- Weitzke farmed on portion of Riversdale sold to Gardiner. Wietzke farmed on Riversdale x Maria Petronella (Miem) Coetzee 21-2-1897/10-12-62 1 child. .
- Sophia Elizabeth x Albertus Stefanus van Aswegen 2 children.
- Ignatius Wilhelmus x Theunis Gert 27-3-16 (woman) 1 child.