This is the Umbrella Project Page for Essex, England.
- Administrative centre Chelmsford
- County Flower - Common Poppy
- People from Essex are called - ?
- Famous for:
- On 15th June 1920, the dulcet tones of Dame Nellie Melba were heard in the first ever official radio broadcast, from the Marconi Factory in New Street, Chelmsford, Essex. Following on from this, the first regular wireless broadcasts began broadcasting from the Marconi laboratories in Writtle, just outside Chelmsford, in 1922.
Essex is a ceremonial county of historic origin in England and is the home county north east of the City of London. It borders the counties of Suffolk and Cambridgeshire to the north, Hertfordshire to the west, Kent across the estuary of the River Thames to the south and London to the southwest..
The historic county can be considered the oldest as Wessex and Mercia were replaced for administration since before the Norman period and a vestige of the term Northumbria exists in Northumberland — Essex occupies the eastern portion of the pre-England Kingdom of Essex.
Large swathes of the county which are closest to London are part of the Metropolitan Green Belt, which prohibits urban development in its green spaces.
The Districts of Essex
- Epping Forest
- Castle Point
- Thurrock (Unitary)
- Southend-on-Sea (Unitary)
If you have Essex connections please join the project.
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator - so please join the project using the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
How to Participate
- If you have any queries please start a discussion linked to this project. (See the menu top right).
- Please add related projects to the menu on the right.
- If you have links to related web pages that would be of interest to others please add them in the relevant section at the bottom of the page. In order to do this use the drop down menu at the top left of the screen and Join the Project. If this option is not available to you then contact a collaborator and ask to be added to the project. As a collaborator you will be able to edit this page.
- Add any documents of interest using the menu at the top right of the page, and then add a link to the document in the text under the heading below. If you do not know how to do this please contact one of the other collaborators to assist you.
Please do not add the profiles off all your Essex born ancestors to this project or the People connected to Essex project. Rather add the earliest known person of a Essex family to the Essex - Family Heads project.
from The Phillimore Atlas and Index of Parish Registers 1984.
See http://www.geni.com/photo/view/4560155096930045739?photo_id=6000000019137278003 - open full view.