(This portal is associated with the Portail français, the portal for French-speaking Geni users)
This is the access point for the global Geni user community to French-speaking users and French-language sources. This portal helps you to find...
- French-speaking users who can help you with your research
- access to online sources in French-speaking countries and regions, such as registries and archives
If you have ancestors in France, Belgium, Switzerland or other French speaking countries, or if you study ancestral lines in the French language sphere, please follow and participate in this project.
For instructions on how to use Geni, refer to the Geni Help Portal
Access to French-speaking users
At the associated Portail français (portal for French-speaking Geni users), you will find hundreds of registered users. However, your place to communicate with them is this International French Portal. You need help with sources? You need an expert opinion? You want further collaboration or start projects with French-speaking users? If you have a request, please start a 'discussion' and formulate your question - someone will pick it up!
Access to sources in French-speaking countries and regions
To facilitate your search, here are a few links that take you straight to some interesting sources...
- Ministère de la Culture (in French), the genealogy page of the French Department of Culture - which consolidates searches across 8 databases.
- GeneaWiki (in French), an inventory of the online archives available per French 'departement'.
- State Archives (in English), the archives of the Belgian government.
- S.C.G.D. - Service de Centralisation des Etudes Généalogiques et Démographiques de Belgique
- GenWalBru (in French), a private website that offers access to a good selection of genealogical sources in Brussels and Wallonia.
- BAnQ (in English), the search engine of the National Library and Archives of Quebec.
- PRDH (in English), the search engine of the Research Program on Demographic History of the University of Montreal.
- Main genealogical sources in Switzerland (in English), a private web site offering a concise overview of sources in the Swiss confederation.
- ANLUX (in French), the web site of the National Archives of Luxemburg - offering information and suggestions on where to search in the Grand Duchy.
Africa and French DOM-TOM
- ANOM (in French), the French national archives offering access to the civil registers for colonial Algeria and the French Overseas Departments/Territories(DOM-TOM).
- Fédération marocaine de généalogie (in French), access to genealogical sources in Morocco.
- DomTom-Genea (in French), interesting starting point for research in the French DOM-TOM and French-speaking African countries.