This project seeks to collect all of the Jewish families from the town of Chyše (Chiesch) in Bohemia, Czech Republic.
From the International Jewish Cemetery Project database, accessed July 11, 2016:
CHYSE: Karlowy Vary, Bohemia ChyseStones removed from the cemetery were used in the foundation of the school in 1970. [February 2009] Communist rule badly damaged the Jewish ghetto situated in the middle of the village near the townhall. Nothing remains of the buildings except a few rebuilt houses. Even the synagogue and the cemetery were destroyed in the ´70s. Chyse dates from 1169 at least. In 1473 the village was granted the privilege as a town. A new surrounding walls were build. Only a few baroque buildings survived the Communist blocks of flats. [February 2009]
CHYSE (I): US Commission No. CZCE000222 Alternate name: Chiesch in German. Chyse (I) is located in Bohemia, Karlovy Vary at 50º6' 13º05', 6 km NE of Zlutice and 28 km SE of Karlovy Vary. Cemetery: 450 m ESE, close to road leading to Chichorice (old cemetery). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews. Town: Obecni urad, Zizkovo namesti 18, 364 53 Chyse; tel. 0169/ 962-07. Regional: Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury, U sporitelny 2, 360 10 Karlovy Vary; tel. 017/266-21 AND Zidovska Nabozenska Obec, Smetanovy sady 80/5, 301 37 Plzen; tel. 019/ 357-49. Interested: Karlovarske Muzeum, Zamecky vrch 22, 360 01 Karlovy Vary; tel. 017/ 269-95 AND Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/ 231-06-34 and 231-07-85 AND, Regional specialist: Thomas Kohn, Hoekhultsvaegen 21B, 562 Norrahammar, Sweden. Earliest known Jewish community was late 17th century. 1930 Jewish population was 22. Peak Jewish population was in mid-19th century (about 150 people). Independent Jewish congregation disbanded in 1893. Ancestors of families Kisch (name chiesch -Kisch) lived here. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated before 1658 with last known probably Conservative Jewish burial about 1883. Zlutice (German: Luditz), 6 km away, used cemetery. The isolated suburban hillside by water has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via no wall, fence, or gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is probably 0.0935 ha. No stones are in original locations. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. The municipality probably owns the site now is used for crops or animal grazing and residential purposes. Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II, never in 1981-91 and 1945-1981 (closed down about 1970). There is no maintenance. Moderate threat: pollution. Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 28 June 1992 using Census 1724, 1870, 1930; cadastre 1841, 1860; H Gold: Die Juden.. Bohemens (1934); Heimatbuch des Kreises Luditz (1971); notes of former Catholic Parish Priest M.Janak (deceased); letters of T.Kohn-see above (1986-1987). The site was not visited.
CHYSE (II): US Commission No. CZCE000223 The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated in 1883 with last known Conservative Jewish burial about 1942. Zlutice (Ger.: Luditz) 6 km away. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via no wall, fence, or gate. No stones are in original locations. The cemetery contains unmarked mass graves. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. The municipality probably owns the site used for agricultural purposes (crops or animal grazing). Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred probably prior to World War II (1938, by Nazis), during World War II, never in 1981-91 and 1945-1981 (closed down about 1970). Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 2/55-33-40 completed survey on 28 June 1992 using Census 1724, 1870, 1930; Hugo Gold: Die Juden Bohemens ...(1934); Heimatbuch des Kreises Luditz (1971); notes of former Catholic Parish Priest M. Janak (deceased); letters of T. Kohn-see 12 [sic] (1986-1987). The site was not visited. Last Updated on Saturday, 21 February 2009 00:24
Additional information about the Jewish population in Chyse (Chiesch), including several photographs, is available here: