The project seeks to list representatives of the Jewish families from the Bohemian town of Golčův Jeníkov (Goltsch Jenikau or Golschjenikau) in the Czech Republic.
Jews probably settled in Golcuv Jenikov at the end of the 16th century with documents indicating a synagogue in 1659 thatwas rebuilt in 1806 and 1870 and extant after World War II. Plague drove the Jews temporarily outside the town in 1681. In 1724. 28 families lived in Golcuv Jenikov; with 613 Jews in 1847 (27.8% of total population), and 79 (3.9%) in 1931. A Jewish German-language school existed from 1797 to 1907. R. Aaron *Kornfeld , whose yeshivah was the last in Bohemia, lived in Golcuv Jenikov. Jews remaining by 1942 were deported to Nazi extermination camps. The synagogue properties were transferred to the Central Jewish Museum in Prague. After the Holocaust, some Jews returned to Golcuv Jenikov. The Jewish quarter (rebuilt after a fire in 1808) and cemetery (the oldest gravestone dating from 1726) existed in 1970, but the synagogue was given to the Prague State Jewish Museum in 1969. Also using the cemetery was nearby Habry (Habern), a Jewish community was founded in the 14th century with a synagogue dating from 1650. Jewish population: 21 Jewish families in 1724; 120 families in 1848; 143 in 1893; and 79 in 1930. In 1898, Habry became part of the Golcuv Jenikov community. Very few emigrated in World War II. Most were deported to the death camps of Poland via Theresienstadt in 1942. See Maximovič, in: H. Gold (ed.), Die Juden und Judengemeinden Boehmens in Vergangenheit und Gegenwart (1934), 152–7; O. Kosta, in: Židovská ročenka (1970/71), 71–79. [February 2009]