This project seeks to collect all of the Jewish families from the town of Kamenná, Bohemia, Czech Republic.
Alternate German name: Kamena. Czech: Kamenná. It is in Bohemia-Pribram at 49º40 13º58, 7 km SSW of Pribaum. Cemetery: 500 meters NW of town on cadastre [a public record, survey or map of the value, extent and ownership of land as a basis of taxation of Zavrzice]. Present population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community dates from 1709. Jewish population was 0 in 1910 and 1930. Jews moved to big towns in the second half of the 19th century. The landmarked cemetery originated about 1760-65 with last known Jewish burial 1930s. Milim, 4 km away and Rtizovice, 5 km away, used this cemetery. Between fields and woods, the isolated hillside has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and locking gate. Size of cemetery before and after WWII: 1834 sq. m. 100-500 gravestones, 1-20 not in original locations and 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 1762 or 1765-20th century. The granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German, and/or Czech inscriptions. No structures. Praha Jewish community owns Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred from 1945 through the present. Jewish groups within country occasionally cleared vegetation. Current care: occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals and by regular caretaker paid by Praha Jewish Congregation. Security (uncontrolled access) and vegetation pose serious threats. Vegetation overgrowth seasonally prevents access. Weather erosion and pollution pose slight threats.