Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Jewish Families from Rousinov (Neu Raußnitz/Neu Rausnitz), Moravia, Czech Republic

« Back to Projects Dashboard

Project Tags

view all


  • Joachim Redlich (c.1746 - 1796)
  • Rabbi Ascher Stessel (aft.1764 - 1843)
    Neu Raußnitz Familien 123 . Ascher David > Ascher Stessel Neu Raußnitz Familien 175 First draft is Ascher David, house 36, struck. Death Record in Kyjov provides age 78, making his birth year circ...
  • David Stessels (c.1712 - 1797)
    House 31. Familien 136 David Ahron > David Stessel Death has surname Stessels
  • Markus Gurass (1751 - 1807)
  • Theresia Loeffler (1815 - aft.1886)
    see information in her husband's record.

This project seeks to list representatives of all of the Jewish families from the Moravian town of Rousinov (Neu Raußnitz/Neu Rausnitz) in the Czech Republic.


The Jewish settlement in Rousínov is assumed to date back to the mid-15th century, although the first documented record is from as late as 1554. By the mid-19th century, the Jewish population reached 1,200, one half of the then town’s population.

The Jewish quarter in Rousínov comprises an extensive complex of the western part of the Square and the streets Trávníky, Skálova and V uličkách adjoining it from south. Out of the initial 132 houses within the 12-acre area a majority has been preserved. What the visitors will find compelling are the darkish inner public passages through the houses and specimens of condominiums.

A former synagogue (Fig.1), originally a renaissance-baroque temple from the end of the 16th century later rebuilt according to a classicist design (in1842) is situated at 6 V uličkách Street. The building was converted into a Hussite Church chapel in 1949. A memorial plaque to the local victims of the Nazi persecution was mounted on the front wall of the chapel and unveiled in 2006. The chapel is open to public during services or upon a prior appointment with the parish of the Hussite Church (contact: Mrs. Ladičová, phone +420 516 412 346).

The Jewish cemetery is situated at the end of Trávníky Street, c. 300 m south of the Square. It was founded in c. 16th century; the area comprises about 1,500 tombstones (Fig.2) with the oldest readable stone from 1695. Valuable baroque and classicist tombstones can be seen at the cemetery. At present, a comprehensive historical reconstruction is about to be launched. The cemetery is open to public upon a prior appointment with Mr. Čech (phone +420 723 624 942).

Rousínov is the birthplace of the writer Rosa Barachová (1841–1913, Vienna), rabbi Nehemias Brüll (1843–1891, Frankfurt upon Main) and the painter Elise Frankl (1895– died after 1940, location unknown).

For further information on the locality and its landmarks please see

LOCATION: Rousinov is a small village in the Rakovnik district of Bohemia, Czech Republic. It is located at 50.01 longitude and 13.40 latitude. Rousinov is 12 km SW of Rakovnik and about 60 km from Prague.

GENEALOGICAL RESOURCES: Birth, Death and Marriage record books for Rousinov from 1840-1860s are preserved and located at the Czech State Archives in Prague, Statni istredni archiv, tr. Milady Horokove 133, CZ-166 21 Praha 6, Czech Republic. Births( 1840-1863) are found in HBMa #1772, #1768, an index for 1853-1889 exists; Marriages (1840-1879) are found in HBMa #1770, #1772 , an index for 1853-1897 exists. Deaths (1843-1862) are found in HBMa#1772, with an index for 1853-1910.

CEMETERIES: The cemetery was established in the 1800s (Jan Herman indicates before 1830; a villager said during the cholera epidemic of 1866). It covers approximately 800 square meters on a rural hillside surrounded by agricultural fields. It is reached by crossing private property and there are no signs or markers. From the village, one goes uphill to the second farm track southwest of the village (about 2 km). Go 800 meters down the track , through fields, to the area of trees on the hillside to the left. The cemetery is surrounded by a masonry wall. The gate is missing and the pre-burial house is in ruins. There are about 50-60 stones in one half of the cemetery. Many are overturned and/or broken. All are weathered and many impossible to read. The latest burial found was in 1923. The present owner of the cemetery property is the local Jewish community (Praha). See

SOURCES: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia by Jan Herman; International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies Cemetery Project, Czech Republic, Rousinov.