This project seeks to collect all of the Jewish families from the town of Česká Lípa (Böhmisch Leipa) in Bohemia, Czech Republic.
Česká Lípa [Cz], Böhmisch-Leipa [Ger], Laypen [Yid], Czeska Lipa [Pol], Lipa Yiddish: לײַפּע
42 miles N of Praha (Prague), 23 miles WSW of Liberec, in N Bohemia. In Sudetenland before WWII. Jewish Population: 686 (in 1880), 868 (in 1910).
1900: Böhmisch-Leipa, Bohemia, Austrian Empire
1930: Česká Lípa, Bohemia, Czechoslovakia
From the Jewish Virtual Library:
"CESKA LIPA (Cz. Česká Lípa; Ger. Boehmisch-Leipa; Heb. לייפען), town in northern Bohemia, Czech Republic. Jews are mentioned there in 1562. Fourteen taxpayers are recorded in 1570. In 1628 there were 11 Jewish houses. From 1646 until the end of the 17th century, the jurisdiction over the Jews was contested in a protracted lawsuit between the Herrschaft (local lordship) and the municipality, as to the possession of the cemetery, where the Herrschaft had built a wall at its expense in 1670. In 1724 the community numbered 358 persons, occupying 15 houses. In 1744, 32 Jews, including the rabbi, were massacred by soldiers and 40 were wounded; a special prayer ( *Seliḥah ) was always recited on the anniversary of the disaster. Rabbis of Ceska Lipa included Daniel Ehrmann (1851–60) and Joel *Mueller (1867–72). A synagogue in Moorish style was built in 1862 and a new cemetery consecrated in 1905. The Jewish population numbered 130 families in 1852, 112 in 1893, 490 persons in 1912, and 301 in 1930 (2.7% of the total). The community dispersed at the time of the Sudeten crisis. The synagogue was burned down on Nov. 10, 1938, and the Jewish street where it stood was renamed "Stuermergasse"; many of the tombstones from the old cemetery were used for building. In 1959 a small congregation was established in Ceska Lipa by Jews from Sub-Carpathian Ruthenia, former soldiers of the Czechoslovak Army in the U.S.S.R. This congregation ceased to exist as well."
From the International Jewish Cemetery Project:
"US Commission No. CZCE000324 Alternate name: Boehmisch-Leipa in German. Ceska Lipa is located in Bohemia, Ceska Lipa at 50°41' N, 14°33' E, 2 miles N of Praha (Prague), 23 miles WSW of Liberec, in N Bohemia.. The new cemetery is located at 550 m NE of Main Square. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with than 10 Jews. Town: Mestsky Urad, Mirove namesti 1, 470 01 Ceska Lipa; tel. 0425/230-51. Regional: Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury, Decinska 389, 470 01 Ceska Lipa; tel. 0425/331-11 and Zidovska Nabozenska Obec, Moskevska 26, 400 01 Usti nad Labem; tel. 047/22-710. Interested: Okresni Muzeum, namesti Osvobozeni 297, 470 34 Ceska Lipa and Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-06-34 or 231-07-85. Earliest known Jewish community was late 16th century. Jewish population: 686 (in 1880), 868 (in 1910). 1930 Jewish population was 301. Pogrom in 1744 killed 30 persons. Peak Jewish population was mid-19th century (800); later moving to big industrial towns; expulsion of Jews by Nazis in 1938; scanty Jewish religious society existed after WWII. Native town of poet Hugo Salus (1866-1929). The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated in 1905 with last known Conservative Jewish burial probably 1945. The flat suburban site, separate but near cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and locking gate. The size of cemetery before WWII and now is approximately 1.24 ha. No stones are in original location. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims who were there and but are transferred. The cemetery contains unmarked 1945 mass graves but no structures. The municipality owns property used for waste dumping and a new school. Adjacent properties are residential and municipal cemetery. Rarely, private visitors stop. Nazis vandalized the cemetery, occasionally 1945-1991 (liquidation of cemetery between 1982-1986). Jewish individuals and groups within country restoration after WWII with vandalism afterward. There is no maintenance. Very serious threat: pollution and vandalism. Serious threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation and existing nearby development. Jan Marek, Na hranici 208, 405 05 Decin 9, tel., fax office: 0412/280-90 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 25 Aug. 1992 using Jahrbuch fuer die israelische Cultusgemeinden Boehmens, (1893-4), Die Juden und Judengemeinden Boehmens (1934), and Vestnik ZNO, VIII, No. 12. Other documentation was inaccessible. The site was not visited. Interviewed were staff of neighboring municipal cemetery, staff of school (see above), and Jan Smejkal from town museum in Ceska Lipa, 1992 UPDATE: February 6, 2007 – A memorial to the Jewish victims of a 1945 death march in the northern Czech town of Ceska Lipa was vandalized. Police reported that the memorial’s menorah, Stars of David, and a plaque with the victim's names were stolen.[February 2009] Last Updated on Monday, 23 February 2009 12:25"
From Yad Vashem we find over 225 individuals. from or connected to Ceska Lipa, in the Holocaust database. Many Pages of Testimony were submitted. These offer a rich source of genealogical data.