Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Jewish families from or connected to Klimontów, Radom, Poland

« Back to Projects Dashboard

Project Tags

view all

Profiles

Klimontów is a small town near Sandomierz, halfway between Lublin and Krakow in the Radom area of Poland. It is near Konskie and Kelice. Many generations of Polish Jews lived in Klimontów.

JewishGen has created a page in Kehilalinks for this town. Not to be confused with at least three other towns with the same name in Poland. Sometimes referred to as Klimont.

See: https://kehilalinks.jewishgen.org/klimontow/index.html

Yad Vashem has records on about 1400 individuals from Klimontów. Search those records that are based on Pages of Testimony for the contributors of the PT. Then search on those contributors names to see even more modern day relatives. Here: https://yvng.yadvashem.org/

The site http://www.sztetl.org.pl displays some data on the town. Jewish history is described in good detail.

International Jewish Cemetery Project has data on this town here: http://www.iajgsjewishcemeteryproject.org/poland/klimontow.html

Brief Excerpt "Alternate�names: Klimontow [Pol], Klementov [Yid], Klimontuv [Rus], Klimentov, Klimentow. Map. Russian. Of the four localities named Klimontov in Poland, this one is 36 miles SE of Kielce, 13 miles W of Sandomierz (Zuzmir), and 9 miles S of Opatow (Apt). Yizkors: Myn amulike heim: My home as it was once upon a time (Ramat Gan, Israel, 1966) and Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 7: Kielce and Lublin (Jerusalem, 1999). S?ownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), IV, pp. 150-152: "Klimontow". Jewish Klimontow photos and list of Jewish residents. This village in Sandomierz County, ?wi?tokrzyskie Voivodeship, in south-central Poland is the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Klimontow with a population of 2,000. Founded by Jan Zbigniew Ossoli?ski in 1604. "

Jewish Gen Family Finder JGFF offers a long list of present day researchers interested in the town and last names. Here: http://www.jewishgen.org/jgff/

A large collection of data for Jewish History, and specific towns and residents, photos, descriptive material is available at the Beit Hatfutsoth site here: https://dbs.bh.org.il/

From Wikipedia: Klimontów [kliˈmɔntuf] is a village in Sandomierz County, Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship, in south-central Poland. It is the seat of the gmina (administrative district) called Gmina Klimontów. It lies on the European route E371, and along the Lesser Polish Way, approximately 22 kilometres (14 mi) west of Sandomierz and 65 km (40 mi) south-east of the regional capital Kielce.[1] The village has a population of 2,000. Klimontów belongs to historic Lesser Poland, and it used to be a town from 1604 to 1870.

Klimontów was the birthplace of Bruno Jasieński. Since 2002 the Brunonalia festival, named after Jasieński, is held every summer in Klimontów. During 1914 and 1915, there were bloody battles in the region between Austrian and Russian troops. Fallen Austrian soldiers were buried in a parish cemetery. The settlement had 6000 inhabitants in 1921, but in 1939 it dropped to 4500. After the German atrocities and extermination of the Jewish population, the number of inhabitants fell to 2200 by 1946.

The origins of Klimontów date back to the 13th century, when the village was founded by Klement of Ruszcza. On January 2, 1604, thanks to efforts of Jan Zbigniew Ossolinski, the village got a town charter. Until 1795 it belonged to Sandomierz Voivodeship. In 1613 the town was granted a permission to organize 3 fairs a year, and two years later, the construction of a Dominical abbey was completed. In 1643 - 1646, a collegiate church was built, with financial support of Jerzy Ossolinski. By 1663, Klimontów had 24 houses and 530 inhabitants, including 129 Jews. In 1827, when the town belonged to Russian-controlled Congress Poland, the population was 1314. Like several other locations in northern Lesser Poland, Klimontów lost its town charter after January Uprising, in 1870.

Among points of interest there are: Baroque collegiate church of St. Joseph (1643-1646), St. Jack church (1617-1620), Dominican abbey (1620-1623), neo-classicistic synagogue (1851), and Roman Catholic cemetery (1843).

A Youtube video of the town and the synagogue by Alan Heath may be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_7QEQdbQOg

Pinkas Hakehillot Polin has a section on this town.

Here: https://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/pinkas_poland/pol7_00505.html

Recent 2019 cemetery fencing based on Nazi Aerial Photos: https://www.jta.org/2018/09/26/global/nazis-aerial-photography-helping-map-preserve-jewish-cemeteries