Scope of project
This project identifies the royal couples who were married at Westminster Abbey, London, England (UK).
The Collegiate Church of St Peter at Westminster, popularly known as Westminster Abbey, is a large, mainly Gothic church, in Westminster, London, England (UK), located just to the west of the Palace of Westminster. It is the traditional place of coronation and burial site for English, later British and later still (and currently) monarchs of the Commonwealth Realms. Westminster Abbey has a long tradition as venue for royal weddings although there were no royal weddings for more than five centuries between 1382 (Richard II to Anne of Bohemia) and 1919. There were only two weddings by reigning monarchs (Henry I and Richard II).
- 11 November 1100: King Henry I of England was married to Matilda of Scotland
- 9 April 1269: Edmund of Crouchback, 1st Earl of Leicester and Lancaster, son of King Henry III was married to Lady Aveline de Forz
- 30 April 1290: Joan of Acre, daughter of King Edward I was married to the 7th Earl of Gloucester
- 8 July 1290: Margaret of England, daughter of King Edward I was married to John II, son of Duke of Brabant
- 20 January 1382: King Richard II of England was married to Anne of Bohemia
- 27 February 1919: Princess Patricia of Connaught was married to Commander Alexander Ramsay
- 28 February 1922: The Princess Mary, daughter of King George V was married to Viscount Lascelles
- 26 April 1923: The Prince Albert, Duke of York (later King George VI), second son of King George V was married to Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon (later to become The Queen Mother).
- 29 November 1934: The Prince George, Duke of Kent, son of King George V was married to Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark
- 20 November 1947: The Princess Elizabeth (later Queen Elizabeth II), elder daughter of King George VI was married to Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten RN (later Duke of Edinburgh).
- 6 May 1960: The Princess Margaret, second daughter of King George VI was married to Antony Armstrong-Jones (later Earl of Snowdon)
- 24 April 1963: Princess Alexandra of Kent was married to Angus Ogilvy
- 14 November 1973: The Princess Anne, only daughter of Queen Elizabeth II was married to Captain Mark Phillips
- 23 July 1986: The Prince Andrew, Duke of York, second son of Queen Elizabeth II, was married to Miss Sarah Ferguson.
- 29 April 2011 Prince William of Wales was married to Kate Middleton, becoming the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.