Double barrelled names are a fairly common occurrence, but triple barrelled names are found less frequently.
A few British upper-class families ...
... have "triple-barrelled" surnames (sometimes created when one spouse has a double-barrelled name and the other has a single surname).
Such names are almost always abbreviated in everyday use to a single or double-barrelled version. There are even a few "quadruple-barrelled" surnames ...
- the French/English surname Taylor-Jendernai-Eirron de Mountstuart, which is the family name for the Marquis de la Eirron)
- the surname of the extinct family of the Dukes of Buckingham and Chandos was the quintuple-barrelled Temple-Nugent-Brydges-Chandos-Grenville.
- Captain Leone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudatifilius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache is sometimes quoted as the man with the most ever "barrels" in his surname (six), but in fact all but the last two of these (Tollemache-Tollemache) were forenames.
Multi-barrelled named profiles on GENI
Please add links to profiles of the earliest profiles of families with Multi-barrelled surnames you find on GENi to this project. Please don't list ALL names in the family!
Profiles with bold links are to GENi profiles. Other links are to pages outside Geni.
- Barbara Anstruther-Gough-Calthorpe
- Sir William Cave-Browne-Cave, 9th Sir William Cave-Browne-Cave, 9th Bt.
- Gilbert Elliot-Murray-Kynynmound, 2nd Earl of Minto
- Clementina Drummond-Willoughby, 24th Baroness Willoughby de Eresby
- Charles Hepburn-Stuart-Forbes-Trefusis, 20th Baron Clinton
- John Hovell-Thurlow-Cumming-Bruce, 5th Baron Thurlow
- Elfreda Mary Montagu-Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie, Countess Wharncliffe
- George Nugent-Temple-Grenville, 1st Marquess of Buckingham
- Adm. Sir Reginald Aylmer Randurly Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax
- Lieutenant Thomas Algernon Smith-Dorrien-Smith JP, DL, (1846 – 1918)
In 1872 changed his name by Royal Licence to Thomas Algernon Smith-Dorrien-Smith.
- Charles Stirling-Home-Drummond-Moray of Abercairny
- Richard Temple-Nugent-Brydges-Chandos-Grenville, 1st Duke of Buckingham & Chandos
- Isabella Anstruther-Gough-Calthorpe - (born 1980), is an English actress and model.
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator - so please join the project using the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
How to Participate
- If you have any queries please start a discussion linked to this project. (See the menu top right).
- Please add related projects to the menu on the right.
- If you have links to related web pages that would be of interest to others please add them in the relevant section at the bottom of the page. In order to do this use the drop down menu at the top left of the screen and Join the Project. If this option is not available to you then contact a collaborator and ask to be added to the project. As a collaborator you will be able to edit this page.
- Add any documents of interest using the menu at the top right of the page, and then add a link to the document in the text under the heading below. If you do not know how to do this please contact one of the other collaborators to assist you.