Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Quingua (now Plaridel), Bulacan, Philippines

« Back to Projects Dashboard

Project Tags

view all 7

Profiles

  • José Alonso (1855 - 1905)
    José Alonso, a native of Medina de Rioseco, Valladolid, arrived in the Philippine Islands in 1879. He served in Minglanilla, Nueva Cáceres, and Oslob, all in Cebu, until 1886. He also served in San Raf...
  • José Padilla Sr. (1888 - 1945)
    José Padilla, Sr. was a lawyer from Quingua (now Plaridel), Bulacan. He became Governor of the province from 1928 to 1931. During his first incumbency as governor the provincial capitol was constructed...
  • Braulia de Santa Cruz (1856 - 1930)
    Braulia de Santa Cruz was a Filipino Catholic nun of the Religious of the Virgin Mary, known for her missionary works, teachings and acts of heroism. She was baptized by Nemesio García , and her godmot...
  • Agustín Fabián (1901 - 1976)
    Agustín Fabián was a Filipino writer. He worked as Literary Editor of Graphic and Liwayway. He wrote fiction and essays in English. Among his published works were: "Sino Ako?" (Who Am I), "Basta Maya...
  • Cmdre. Ramon A. Alcaraz, PN (1915 - 2009)
    Commodore Ramon A. Alcaraz, PN was born on 31 August 1915 in Quingua, Bulacan. Monching was a writer for the PMA publication "Corps" and the bantam weight boxing champion in 1937 and 1938. After gradua...

The historical past of the town of Plaridel can be traced from some records way back in 1595, in the early years of the Spanish colonization, when the place was a vast undeveloped plain covered with thick forest and cogon grass, with the rivers Angat and Tabang running through it. The Angat River flowed directly in a snakelike wave to Calumpit meeting the Pampanga River, while the Tabang river which was a mere branch with adjoining intersections dividing the middle of the present Poblacion, flowed to Manila Bay passing Guiguinto and Bulacan towns. The water of this river was called "Tabang" or fresh water.

Very few people lived here, and closely related with each other. Each group had a leader called "tandis". Different groups spoke different dialects, Pampango, Pangasinan, Ilocano and Tagalog. From Calumpit, Spanish priest and missionaries of the Augustinian Order led by the Rev. Fr. Bernardino de Leon frequently visited the place, preaching the Catholic faith … using the "balsa" or bamboo raft as their means of transportation. These missionaries thought of clearing the land and established settlements and convened the people to unity. The thought of a plan to give favored the ideas so that everyone set to work. Each "Tandis" drew a plan to pursue. For seven years, the groups of people labored so much that when the priest returned, they found the place to have been cleared. They inquired from the natives who should be credited, and the Pampangos exclaimed, "Quing wawa Ding tagalog po" or the Tagalogs got it. So every now and then, to every question of the friars, the people would reply. "Buti Quing Wawa Tagalog, Quing wa". The priest believed that the Tagalogs should be credited and should receive the gold medal and from thereafter the place was called Quingua.

Like any other community, Quingua grew and prospered. The life of the people flourished and intelligent sons were born. One of them, Jose J. Mariano, who was then the "Alcalde" or town mayor, had the initiative of renaming the town. Congressman Pedro Magsalin, a friend of the alcalde sponsored a bill changing the name of the town from Quingwa to Plaridel. The bill was passed by the Philippine Congress and was approved by President Manuel L. Quezon. On December 29, 1936, amidst elaborate celebrations, the town was renamed PLARIDEL in honor of the great hero of Bulacan - Marcelo H. del Pilar; in the presence of political luminaries that included Speaker Gil Montilla, Congressman Pedro Magsalin, Honorable Nicolas Buendia, Honorable Eulogio Rodriguez, Honorable Elpidio Quirino and Governor Jose Padilla, Sr.

Source: https://www.bulacan.gov.ph/plaridel/history.php Date accessed: December 17, 2019.

  • Included in this project are the notable sons and daughters of Quingua (Plaridel), Bulacan.

The Battle of Quingua

The Battle of Quingua was fought on April 23, 1899, in Quingua, now Plaridel, Bulacan during the Philippine-American War. The engagement was a two-part battle. The first phase was a brief victory for the young Filipino general Gregorio del Pilar over the American Cavalry led by Major J. Franklin Bell, where Bell's advance was stopped. In the second phase of the battle, Bell was reinforced by the 1st Nebraskan Infantry and the Nebraskans routed the Filipinos, but not before they repelled a cavalry charge that killed Colonel John M. Stotsenburg.

The battle began when Bell and his men, while on a reconnaissance mission, came upon a strong position manned by Filipinos led by Colonel Pablo Ocampo Tecson of San Miguel, Bulacan and under the command of General Gregorio del Pilar. The Filipinos laid down heavy fire which halted Bell's advance. After a short firefight, Bell saw that he was in a badly-exposed position, and that his force risked being annihilated. Bell sent for reinforcements, and the 1st Nebraskans came to his aid under Colonel Stotsenburg.

Once he entered the field, Stotsenburg ordered a charge, and the Nebraskan Infantry—Stotsenburg at their lead with a dozen or so Cavalrymen—rushed the enemy's position. The Filipinos held their ground and opened fire into the charging Cavalrymen. Stotsenberg was one of the first to fall, a bullet in his breast. Several of the Cavalrymen's mounts were also slain. The Filipino soldiers sustained the heavy fire, forcing the 4th Cavalry to retreat.

The Nebraskans, only 200 strong, advanced under the withering fire by the Filipino rifleman, who displayed accuracy never witnessed in previous battles. The fire was heavy and effective, but the Nebraskan line did not waver, and soon the two forces clashed in close combat. After a stiff fight, the Filipinos were driven into their secondary defenses. During the fight, the Nebraskan Infantry lost four killed and 31 wounded.

The Filipinos' secondary defenses seemed extremely formidable, and an American frontal assault might have resulted in extreme casualties. Having seen this, commanding General Irving Hale ordered an artillery bombardment upon the enemy lines. Two artillery pieces were brought up, which fired 20 shots into the Filipino positions. The powerful artillery barrage demoralized the Filipinos, who soon retreated before another attack by the Americans.

Even in the face many odds, Filipinos still bared their courage and patriotism, and the Battle of Quingua Monument is a reminder for generations of Filipinos to come.

Source: https://www.vigattintourism.com/tourism/articles/Battle-of-Quingua-Monument Date accessed: December 17, 2019.