Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Roberts-IOOF Cemetery Also known as Blackwell Cemetery, IOOF Blackwell Cemetery, Odd Fellows Cemetery LOCATION S Hwy 177 Blackwell, Kay County, Oklahoma, 74631 USA

« Back to Projects Dashboard

Project Tags

Top Surnames

Simmons and Cox
view all

Profiles

  • Pauline Simmons (1892 - 1959)
    Update 5/25/2017(CLM): Please consult Sources. Find A Grave Memorial# 92947819
  • LeClare Simmons (1887 - 1968)
    Update 5/25/2017(CLM): LeClare Simmons was born in Emden ,Shelby, County,MO. His parents were Logan and Margrett Simmons. LeClare was a WWI Vet both he and his wife Pauline(Cox)Simmons are both buried ...
  • Claire Mae Simmons (1926 - 1933)
    Update 5/26/2017(CLM): Find A Grave Memorial# 92951641. Please consult Sources.

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/172659/roberts-ioof-cemetery Roberts-IOOF Cemetery Also known as Blackwell Cemetery, IOOF Blackwell Cemetery, Odd Fellows Cemetery LOCATION S Hwy 177 Blackwell, Kay County, Oklahoma, 74631 USA :

Roberts-IOOF Cemetery Also known as Blackwell Cemetery, IOOF Blackwell Cemetery, Odd Fellows Cemetery

LOCATION S Hwy 177 Blackwell, Kay County, Oklahoma, 74631 USA PHONE (580) 363-3826 MEMORIALS 11,991 added (92% photographed)


CEMETERY PHOTOS 10 MAP History of the Roberts-IOOF Cemetery

A group of people met in a little schoolhouse on South Main Street in Blackwell to organize the Blackwell Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) Lodge. Twenty-six acres of land were purchased from George Carson for an Odd Fellows cemetery south of town. The ground was plotted and lots were sold in 1894.

On July 1, 1894, Lot 8, Block 290 was sold to Walter Butterfield, whose wife was buried on that date. According to lodge records, it was the first burial in the cemetery.

Green Lawn Abbey mausoleum was constructed in 1926 by private individuals, now deceased, and the line of ownership is in question. The IOOF lodge had no connection with the mausoleum but maintained the grounds and voluntarily assumed responsibility of helping with interments within the structure and paid insurance premiums from a trust fund established by the original builders.

On May 1, 1939, the lodge donated by deed 117 feet by 114 feet of cemetery land in the northwest corner to American Legion Post 7 for a memorial. The Legion has purchased burial plots for veterans on an as-needed basis since according to its rules.

On June 6, 1950, an additional 13 acres to the south were purchased to expand the cemetery, according to Rodebaugh and the records.

On January 1, 1996, after 102 years of ownership by the Blackwell IOOF Lodge, the local cemetery south of the city changed ownership to the Blackwell Cemetery Corporation, a not-for-profit corporation formed by James W. and Betty Roberts and family. The cemetery is now known as Roberts-IOOF Cemetery.

Along with traditional monuments, the cemetery contains a Memorial Park, with graves designated by flat stones, and three Baby Land areas.

Source of information: Blackwell Journal Tribune, from article published Jan. 14, 1996